homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree127Likes

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-17-2012, 02:29 AM   #1
Banned

Johnmar can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Body copiez

Well I always wanted a BM,but Doug stopped
I tried contacting Ran guitars because i knew Dariusz copies bodies but he said he couldnt copy them anymore(copyrights?).
Can you name any luthiers to make an EXCACT copy of a BM?or others overpriced high end guitars?(ViK,Daemoness etc)
I don't want to be over 2-2,5k.
Also if there's any ss member willing to build one for 2k or less but make an EXCACT copy then ok.
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-17-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
dotlike

loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmar View Post
or others overpriced high end guitars? (ViK,Daemoness etc)

you're not only insulting these builders by asking to make a cheaper copy of their designs, but you also seem to have a misconception of how expensive and time consuming it is to build a guitar for ONE person.

ViK and Daemoness prices are perfectly adequate for handbuilt guitars in the EU.

seeing you are in greece, these prices are also not further inflated by the exchange rate neither (besides the currently weak €:GBP).

if you're looking for a cheaper semi-custom guitar made to your specs, then you should perhaps also consider mayones. the setius models are priced around 1500€ for the 7-strings. i own a setius myself as well as my bandmate, and they're definitely GREAT high end guitars.
Unread 07-17-2012, 03:05 AM   #3
Formerly Lern2Swim

Ben.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
First, I agree that calling those brands "overpriced" is incorrect. And there's a misconception involved here about the realm of custom luthiery.

However, I don't follow the line of thought that getting a "copy" is some huge moral attack on the "original" builder. As long as you don't get a BM knock off that goes the step of sticking a plate on there saying it is actually a BM, then you're fine in my book. The copy actually attempting to pass itself off as an original, THAT'S the actual problem that trademark and copyright law is MEANT to prevent. (also, as a note, the idea of a guitar body style being trademarkable has been knocked down in the courts time and time again. Headstocks can be trademarked, bodies cannot)

Anyway, long story short:

Siggery is the builder you're going to want to get in touch with.
Unread 07-17-2012, 03:10 AM   #4
dotlike

loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lern2swim View Post
However, I don't follow the line of thought that getting a "copy" is some huge moral attack on the "original" builder. As long as you don't get a BM knock off that goes the step of sticking a plate on there saying it is actually a BM, then you're fine in my book

dude is asking for an exact copy:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmar View Post
make an EXCACT copy
Unread 07-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #5
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
He is asking for an excact copy, which is a copy that is not quite exact.
Rorschach, MikeH, loktide and 19 others like this.
Unread 07-17-2012, 03:19 AM   #6
dotlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
He is asking for an excact copy, which is a copy that is not quite exact.
i didn't notice that
Konfyouzd likes this.
Unread 07-17-2012, 04:11 AM   #7
Formerly Lern2Swim

Ben.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of light
Minus logos, it's not an exact copy.

Further, he's not even asking for an exact guitar copy, he's asking for an exact guitar body copy.

Now, yes, he may mean body, headstock, trademarks and all. At that point we are crossing over into infringement territory. But that is not, actually, what he seems to be asking for.
Unread 07-17-2012, 05:34 AM   #8
Whisper into nose

Asrial is just really niceAsrial is just really nice
If Dariusz doesn't copy it, then you know you've gone too far.
kruneh, loktide, Hollowway and 6 others like this.

The Asrial Project Bandcamp
The Asrial Project Soundcloud
The Asrial Project Twitter
The Asrial Project Facebook

JeffFromMtl: Anyone who says sex is over-rated is doing it wrong.
I don't care how good your stupid toffee brioche pudding is.
Myself: Han shot first
Unread 07-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #9
(((Ω)))

shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.
Check Skervesen from Poland. They built a BM copy a while ago.
Unread 07-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #10
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shitsøn View Post
And Skervesen themselves has said multiple times in that thread that it was a one-off made for a personal friend and they have no prospects of building another for anyone else.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 07-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
It's me

BlacKat Guitars is just really niceBlacKat Guitars is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
They are not overpriced. They reflect builder's time and effort to design shape, specs etc of a guitar so it is a well thought instrument that looks, feels and sounds well. It's not something that you do in one evening, drinking beer with friends and having a barbecue. Guys who copy instruments designed by others surely save time (and money) but on someone else's back. Not cool. If you can't afford it, don't buy it.
Curt, FatKol and thatguy87 like this.
Unread 07-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #12
Banned

commelina will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by shitsøn View Post
Sorry but no. I admit we get a lot of queries about it and we're working on our own custom guitar which will match the BM in quality (only if the musicians will stop to play the brand and start to play the guitar :P). We will not work in this way > Of course there is a trend and we'd like to take advantage of it
but not by making a career based on someone else's success. Doug created something extremely characteristic and it's hard to compete with it. However, we want to take the challenge.

Cheers,
Jarek
Unread 07-17-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyone
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrial View Post

Unread 07-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #14
Kane's Bane

Danukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Do you have a modded RG7321? See if someone will trade a Blackmachine for it.
Unread 07-17-2012, 11:42 AM   #15
ss.org Regular

robintpup2 will become famous soon enough
A lot of invictus guitars look very blackmachine-ish. Sorry if they're not close enough for ya :P
Unread 07-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #16
aint no gahdam woman

nostealbucket is just really nicenostealbucket is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ermahgerd! What if blk masheen made gitar fer 3 hundread?! Holy shitto!! Best day evarrr!!
I djent liek periphery nao!!!

You really dont know the skill some luthiers have. Guitars like that cost that much for a reason, you know...
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

xxvicarious is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'll build you one.
Out of fossilized dinosaur labia.
And a reversed left handed Parker neck.
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyone
I thought the world's fossilized dinosaur labia supply was depleted with the completion of Petrucci's last Ibanez prior to leaving to be endorsed by EBMM.
ThePhilosopher and willis7452 like this.

Unread 07-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #19
Antithetic machinery

F4R537KTP09 is a jewel in the rough
I guess if you are looking around your house you will find good luthiers, quite unknown but very skillfull and willing to please and match your request, and maybe more... The same country is already a good start, limiting not only the freight, but also the tawes that just evaporates like a vampire by the sun... It is, as I can state it as my own opinion, the best option to get what you want in the prices you asked, with the quality you're looking for.
As for me I live in France and prefers very much my very unique and original guitars. I could get them in the prices you ask, only they are not copy: there are actually no other one like them anywhere around the world. So you want a copy? I figure it would be quite less difficult to build.
Anyway, a good luthier is above all a luthier you feel you can work with, because yes, you don't have just to ask for it to come alive, but also to work, even just a little on it, to make it more like YOUR guitar, and not everyone else's.
But as I already said, that's just my poor asshole's luthier-friendly and little luthier-fanatic opinion.
There is a so-called tibetan proverb for this: "Opinions are like assholes: everyone has his/her own"
So here is mine (opinion of course)
Fiction and MetalSlab like this.
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #20
Dread-I Master

^ What?
Hollowway and Purelojik like this.

Unread 07-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #21
(((Ω)))

shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.shitsøn is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
And Skervesen themselves has said multiple times in that thread that it was a one-off made for a personal friend and they have no prospects of building another for anyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by commelina View Post
Sorry but no. I admit we get a lot of queries about it and we're working on our own custom guitar which will match the BM in quality (only if the musicians will stop to play the brand and start to play the guitar :P). We will not work in this way > Of course there is a trend and we'd like to take advantage of it
but not by making a career based on someone else's success. Doug created something extremely characteristic and it's hard to compete with it. However, we want to take the challenge.

Cheers,
Jarek
That is good to know. I wasn't aware of that, but good call!
Konfyouzd likes this.
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #22
Antithetic machinery

F4R537KTP09 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konfyouzd View Post
^ What?
Well, if I have to sum it up in a few words:
Find a luthier near you
Talk to him to have an idea
Look for the quality of his production
Order if it's OK...
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #23
SS.org Regular

UnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrial View Post
quoted for truth

SPEEDGURU - fuzz/doom/death
http://www.facebook.com/speedgurudoom
Unread 07-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #24
What... the... F@#k!

nothingleft09 is just really nicenothingleft09 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Don't get me wrong, BM's are the shit. But, if it is only the aesthetic he's looking for then what's the point? IF it's the sound he is looking for he may or may not get it with a copy. Luthiers do things differently. Not every guitar they produce sounds the same anyway. They all have different charachteristics. So the chances of getting a BM made by anyone other than the man who makes BM's will only get you a body shape and style. You may get close in sound, but you will NEVER get THE sound of a BM getting a copy. It's not a mass produced product like an ibanez RG where anyone with a slab of basswood can get a body and the same sound. But, as always thats just my assh... i mean opinion. lol
possumkiller and Ayo7e like this.
Unread 07-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #25
SS.org Regular

possumkiller is a name known to allpossumkiller is a name known to allpossumkiller is a name known to allpossumkiller is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingleft09 View Post
Don't get me wrong, BM's are the shit.

HAHAHAHA Bowel Movements are quite literally the shit lol.

Sorry I just couldn't help myself.
Closed Thread