homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Ishan
  • 1 Post By Konfyouzd
  • 1 Post By stuglue
  • 1 Post By Syriel
  • 2 Post By Ishan
  • 1 Post By MF_Kitten
  • 1 Post By MF_Kitten

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-06-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

stuglue is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Portable string tension calculator Android/Iphone

Hi guys

So many threads on here relate to what tension works best for my guitar
I thought that it would be more practical if we had a mobile phone app that was simple and we could put our scale length measurements, tuning requirements into the app and be presented with the tension and string size we need.
Are there any smart guys who could create such a tool?
It would save a lot of time logging into the forum, searching threads and posting more questions.
It'd be handy for when you're at the music store too
the online calculators are great but it would be even better to have a portable version
stuglue is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #2
Giant Fridge Magnet

Ishan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've been toying with that idea for a while, I might start something for android but I'd like to do something for desktop/laptop first (see my thread about CKS tension calculator)
Konfyouzd likes this.

Current rig : Agile Intrepid Pro with Lace Aluma Deathbar pickup -> Eleven Rack + TC G-Major -> ESI Near 5 Experience
My string tension calculator STC - supports most D'addarrio and Circle K Strings
Ishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #3
\m/^_^\m/

AliceLG is just really niceAliceLG is just really nice
That's an amazing idea!

I'll start something for iPhone, sounds like a good learning project, so expect nothing too fancy ... as a matter of fact, expect nothing, it'll take me a while hehe, but I'm definitely in!

Metal is the air I breathe

For poorly recorded melo/black/power/thrash metal click here

AliceLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyoneKonfyouzd flexes at just about everyone
The equations are pretty straight forward, no? I'm not familiar with Android app development just yet, but it can't be any harder than what I do all day anyway.

I may take a stab at this...
Fiction likes this.

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

stuglue is a jewel in the rough
Hi,
Wow great response, much appreciated.
Please keep me updated via this thread. I think so many people could make use of a string tension calc for Android and iPhone
Konfyouzd likes this.
stuglue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
eh?

ashek will become famous soon enough
Seriously, it helps alot if there's such apps for mobile phones.

nothing is true. all is permitted.
ashek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Plays Fusion.

Syriel is a jewel in the rough
I'm definitely supporting this. I'd love to not have to save up the tensions I calculated in my pc to my iPhone's notepad, and instead just be able to calculate on the fly. Definitely want.
shitsøn likes this.

Djent = ERG + Superior Drummer + Axe FX
Syriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
ss.org Regular

Tsmith678 is headed in the right direction.
I have found my own personal combinations of strings that work perfect for me for specific tunings but I'd really like to see an app like this. It would let me realize how weird I am as a player! haha
Tsmith678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
Δ

AugmentedFourth is a jewel in the rough
I am in a basic Obj-C/iPhone app production class right now so I may be able to start a project of making an app like this for iDevice users.

However, I am not very familiar with the math behind string tension calculators, so if anyone has some pointers for how you complete the calculations, that would be nice
AugmentedFourth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #10
Giant Fridge Magnet

Ishan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud of
All the math and weight data for D'addario is in there : http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf
It's what my STC is based on.
It's like the bible of string tension

Current rig : Agile Intrepid Pro with Lace Aluma Deathbar pickup -> Eleven Rack + TC G-Major -> ESI Near 5 Experience
My string tension calculator STC - supports most D'addarrio and Circle K Strings
Unread 07-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
what are the terms and stuff for using D'addario's own tension chart in an app? is it free-for all? a buddy of mine and myself are in talks of developing a proper iOS string tension calculator with a good interface and user friendly features.

More details about it later, we've barely begun talking about it, but if any of you know about how D'addario would want their string tension chart used, that would be great.

If we end up getting this done, i think you'll all be VERY excited about a lot of the features...
AugmentedFourth likes this.

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #12
prototyping...

Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I've been wanting something like this for ages.

Hope it comes to pass and uses D'Addario and Circle K string mass data, and any other string company smart enough to publish their string masses.

I'm currently using a spreadsheet in Numbers on my Mac.

An iOS app would be fantastic.
Durero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
Δ

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
All the math and weight data for D'addario is in there : http://www.daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf
It's what my STC is based on.
It's like the bible of string tension
Sorry to have to ask, but on the D'addario spreadsheet PDF they give the equation

T = (UW*(2*L*F)^2)/386.4

And since you can only intake the string gauge and then match it up with the weight given by the manufacturer (In this case D'addario) to be able to fill out the equation, how did you make your calculator able to take any gauge you put in, e.g.: .01289468847433293487567411, .330? Also I noticed you were using info for an 8 string guitar Circle K string set, but on the PDF of Circle K weight info I found it only has bass strings--

Which are useful still, and you can always use them for guitars, but I was curious if you found info on an 8 string guitar set they made or something, sorry, I am unfamiliar with their company.
Unread 07-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
prototyping...

Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
^ you can also input the tension and string weight and see the resulting gage. If the gage doesn't actually exist then just choose the closest real gage.

Also Circle K makes guitar strings now as well as bass strings
Durero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2012, 04:15 AM   #15
Giant Fridge Magnet

CK bass and guitar strings are the same, only the ball end is different.
As I understand the code it does in fact average to the closest weight data, I 'm thinking on changing that in the future and reject strings not in a particular brand/string type.
Or bump it up or down to the closest existing string so you don't have to try to find a valid one blind.
I'm adding a lot more D'addario strings right now but it's taking a lot more time than anticipated

Unread 07-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #16
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
Alright, after communicating with D'addario directly regarding the use of their string tension chart in a mobile app, they told me that we cannot use their chart due to "various legal concerns". They did give me two free sets of strings because i was nice enough to ask though

edit: that means using the information provided in the chart, not just the chart itself, just to be clear.
AugmentedFourth likes this.

What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
Unread 07-19-2012, 02:39 PM   #17
Δ

I've been working on putting this app in xcode for iPhone/iPod Touches and so far I got the functionality down to being able to do the calculations, now I just need to add the ability to change string sets, change from lbs > newtons, in > cm, etc.

Photo album of some screenshots

EDIT: totally sucks that you can't use D'Addario's chart, I was just creating a .plist to organize some of the weight data but I guess there's no point in allowing the user to select a string set if I can only get access to one chart (Circle K)
Unread 07-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
For those times when you absolutely need to calculate a string tension and can't get to a computer or a web app? I don't understand the point of making a specific mobile app.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2012, 03:27 AM   #19
Giant Fridge Magnet

I don't see myself using this on the go. Here, there's absolutely no shops carrying single strings, that's a sad fact. (at least in the shops I know of...)

[rant]
As for D'Addario chart, why are they providing it in the first place if YOU CAN'T USE IT?!?! It's silly, if it's a free app with no adds I don't see the problem. They should learn what Open Data is...
This won't stop me from working and distributing STC, it's a free as in beer app, it's not even GPL and it'll make them SELL STRINGS!
[/rant]

Unread 07-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #20
Set up us the bomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
I don't see myself using this on the go. Here, there's absolutely no shops carrying single strings, that's a sad fact. (at least in the shops I know of...)

[rant]
As for D'Addario chart, why are they providing it in the first place if YOU CAN'T USE IT?!?! It's silly, if it's a free app with no adds I don't see the problem. They should learn what Open Data is...
This won't stop me from working and distributing STC, it's a free as in beer app, it's not even GPL and it'll make them SELL STRINGS!
[/rant]
i didn't specifically ask them about whether it changes if the app is free or paid, but i can't imagine it would change much. It might be something related to the fact that it's on a mobile market or something, i dunno.

-Anthony