homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By shredguitar7690
  • 1 Post By mcleanab
  • 2 Post By crg123

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
NEED MORE STRINGS!!

shredguitar7690 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just recieved Agle 92730. Have questions.

So I won't be posting a NGD yet because I don't have my camera right now and the guitar seems to need a lot of setting up. My concern is that out of the box, it sounds kind of crappy. The high strings sound kind of tinny and fret out when I bend. The low strings B and especially F# and C# resonate all kinds of crazy frequencies and barely sound like notes at all. I am assuming I need to get it set up, probably adjust the truss rod and raise the action slightly. I am just asking to hopefully get some feedback especially from agile 9 string users. I just want to know that these sort of problems are normal and fixable cause im kind of worried atm. It looks like the F# is a .72 and the C# is a .90 On a 27-30 inch fan it seems like I should be able to play with those gauges to some more success than I'm having. My main concern is that my Randall RG75D combo amp may not be up to par to play those frequencies.

Check out my Alien Green Gary Kramer Guitars Prototype 7 string in action!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5GPe...feature=relmfu

And then check out my Tribal Purple Agile 92730!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrM5-w1RxDc

"If you open your mind for me, you won't rely on open eyes to see" - Silent Lucidity by Queensryche
shredguitar7690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

Jayd41 is a jewel in the rough
My 928 plays beautifully.
The high notes are a little more shrill than my shorter scale guitars, but not badly.
The F# and C# sound good, just like they should, the C# is quieter when you are playing unplugged, but I expected that.
Jayd41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

luca9583 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
First and foremost it'll definitely need a professional setup and some new strings.

I would also get an eq pedal and run it in front of any amp you use the guitar with and filter some low end out (experiment to taste) or scoop out the 50-100hz area slightly. Some boosting around the 1k area can also add some much needed attack and snap to the tone before it hits the amp. The amount of pre eq you need to apply will depend on the pickups of course. From my experience all extended range guitars sound much tighter in the low end after you use some pre eq.

The .090 that comes with these guitars can sound really woofy before you apply the pre eq. It might even be a GHS string on there, but it could be a worn out string. Also, for F# you could try a .070 for more attack and clarity.

For the high strings, experiment with gauges once the guitar is setup. For standard tuning on this fan, i would go for a set of 9-46 and then try maybe a .060 for the B.

Once it's setup you should have a pretty good sounding guitar
luca9583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
NEED MORE STRINGS!!

A .070 for the F# would be less tension than I have atm. I think I'd need something like a .76 to get good firm tension. And I'd love to get an EQ pedal but I don't have the money for that right now. Do you think that is absolutely necessary because I think there are a lot of people on this forum that have agile 9 strings that probably don't all have EQ pedals. Anyway I'm planning on tuning the C# down to B so I'm gonna get a .108 for that and probably a .76 or a .78 for the F#. How do I even adjust the action on a multiscale trem anyway?

"If you open your mind for me, you won't rely on open eyes to see" - Silent Lucidity by Queensryche
Unread 06-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Theta Sagan Swords

mcleanab is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
^^

Strings... my Agile 925 has some very light gauge strings on the "standard" six compared to the Ernie Ball Super Slinkys that I love for my six string. My action was really low on mine when it arrived, but I didn't mind it... only a bit of a buzz on the lower strings way up on the neck and I might adjust it later, but it's not a big deal to me at the moment...

It was definitely a shock to my ears pumping the 925 through my amps... just different hearing those frequencies for the first time... I enjoy the snot out of them now.

Definitely check the intonation and action and that should fix it I would think... I plan on experimenting more with different gauges soon... tried some different tunings and slightly lighter gauges on the lower three strings and getting some good results...

Hang in there... I love my 9... keep us posted and definitely post pics when you can!

=========================================
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Theta Combo!!! Lexicon MPX-1, MPX-G2, ADA GCS-2, Aria Diamond with EMG 85, Ibanez Semi-Hollow with EMG HA and HAX, Charvel Wild Card Pro Mod #6 Dreamsicle with EMG 85 and SAVX, Eminence Swamp Thang and Eminence Sub Woofer!
mcleanab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
NEED MORE STRINGS!!

I guess what I'm gonna do is order those strings from Labella's website and then get a professional set up with the strings. I would like to raise the action now though and I can't figure out how to do it on this bridge?? It looks like the bridge on this one Agile Intrepid Pro Dual 72728 EB CA Oceanburst DOT - RondoMusic.com

Unread 06-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
Theta Sagan Swords

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredguitar7690 View Post
I guess what I'm gonna do is order those strings from Labella's website and then get a professional set up with the strings. I would like to raise the action now though and I can't figure out how to do it on this bridge?? It looks like the bridge on this one Agile Intrepid Pro Dual 72728 EB CA Oceanburst DOT - RondoMusic.com
I would hazard a guess that you guitar came with a tiny Allen Wrench? The bridge looks adjustable on the saddle, unless I'm looking at your picture incorrectly... just like these:

Graph Tech String Saver Classic PRS Trem Saddle | Musician's Friend

Does your bridge work this way? Hard to see the black metal bridge in the Rondo pic up against the dark blue...

ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Theta Combo!!! Lexicon MPX-1, MPX-G2, ADA GCS-2, Aria Diamond with EMG 85, Ibanez Semi-Hollow with EMG HA and HAX, Charvel Wild Card Pro Mod #6 Dreamsicle with EMG 85 and SAVX, Eminence Swamp Thang and Eminence Sub Woofer!
Unread 06-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
NEED MORE STRINGS!!

It does look like that. So would I adjust it with the little holes on either side of where the strings comes out? Sorry, I'm a guitar noob. Cause it's got two screws that take a phillips screwdriver that seem to be holding it to the guitar, one screw that seems to be used for intonating, on the back and then the two small holes that I mentioned on the front top of the thing.

Unread 06-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #9
NEED MORE STRINGS!!

Ok I got it pretty good! I figured it out! Thanks guys. Ok well I'm gonna get those strings and still do a professional set up on it when I get the chance cause the C# and F# are a bit flubby and hey if I can get a cheap EQ pedal, then that's another thing on the list. But expect a NGD with pics and a video soon
mcleanab and mustache79 like this.

Unread 06-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
I like to play

mustache79 is a jewel in the rough
[QUOTE=shredguitar7690;3059266]A .070 for the F# would be less tension than I have atm. I think I'd need something like a .76 to get good firm tension. And I'd love to get an EQ pedal but I don't have the money for that right now. Do you think that is absolutely necessary because I think there are a lot of people on this forum that have agile 9 strings that probably don't all have EQ pedals. QUOTE]

I use only one pedal in my rig- and EQ, because they really can work wonders for ERGs. You can get an awesome true bypass EQ on ebay for about $40 after shipping. The Joyo 6 band EQ- probably the most under the radar quality 6 band EQ out there. I have one and it's a solid pedal, totally quiet and well worth $40. Really tightened up the low end on my 828, as well as using an .080 gauge for F#.

Good luck with your guitar!
mustache79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #11
NEED MORE STRINGS!!

How would you say it compares to the fish and chips EQ cause they are going for about the same price

Unread 06-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
I like to play

Quote:
How would you say it compares to the fish and chips EQ cause they are going for about the same price
I've heard good things about the Fish n Chips pedal, but I have no personal experience with it. I wanted a true bypass pedal with metal housing, so I went with the Joyo. True bypass is quieter and if your power source becomes unplugged/battery dies it will still send signal to the amp.

Joyo are quality pedals.

I have seen used Danelectro pedals sell used for about $10-20 on ebay. That might be a good route to take if you're strapped for cash.

Just found this on ebay, read the listing though because the person seems like a bit moron: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Danelectro-D...item43b0d4d11e
Unread 06-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #13
Theta Sagan Swords

Quote:
Ok I got it pretty good! I figured it out! Thanks guys. Ok well I'm gonna get those strings and still do a professional set up on it when I get the chance cause the C# and F# are a bit flubby and hey if I can get a cheap EQ pedal, then that's another thing on the list. But expect a NGD with pics and a video soon
There are some great "how to" videos on line about intonation that involves moving the saddles back and forth... check those out... I don't think your truss rod(s) would be out of whack coming out of the factory... could be wrong, but...

I find the more I can do on my own, the better...

And, oh yeah.... Congrats on a 9 string! Aren't they great?
mustache79 likes this.

Unread 06-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #14
I like to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanab View Post
There are some great "how to" videos on line about intonation that involves moving the saddles back and forth... check those out... I don't think your truss rod(s) would be out of whack coming out of the factory... could be wrong, but...

I find the more I can do on my own, the better...

And, oh yeah.... Congrats on a 9 string! Aren't they great?
Yup, you can find "how to" videos on just about anything now. I love the information superhighway.
Unread 06-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #15
I like to play

Quote:
btw love the Alien Green Gary Kramer Guitars 7 string!
Unread 06-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #16
Theta Sagan Swords

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustache79 View Post
Yup, you can find "how to" videos on just about anything now. I love the information superhighway.
And why, might I ask (totally off topic), did you stick a pic of Jim Carrey on your post?

Unread 06-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #17
Assman McTrollster

axxessdenied is a name known to allaxxessdenied is a name known to allaxxessdenied is a name known to allaxxessdenied is a name known to all
The truss rods in my agile were floating doing nothing when I received them. They probably do that for shipping. Definitely get it set up before you make a judgement call.

The WIP Thread
Give feedback to others, and get some in return on your works in progress!

musical exploration - Check out my site.
check it out! [ SoundCloud ] [ YouTube Channel ][ Instagram ]

Looking for great strings for your ERG?
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sig...pic36618_2.gif
axxessdenied is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #18
I like to play

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleanab View Post
And why, might I ask (totally off topic), did you stick a pic of Jim Carrey on your post?
My dry attempt at humor- in reference to the movie "The Cable Guy" and the internet. Information Super Highway :: Jim Carey - YouTube

I'm a dork... forgive me lol
Unread 06-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #19
Theta Sagan Swords

Quote:
My dry attempt at humor- in reference to the movie "The Cable Guy" and the internet. Information Super Highway :: Jim Carey - YouTube

I'm a dork... forgive me lol
Ah... I much preferred Ace Ventura! That's why I didn't get the reference...

Truss rod: definitely something to be messed with carefully...

Unread 06-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #20
NEED MORE STRINGS!!

Thanks! I love my GKG! And now I love my 92730! I raised the action and it sounds much better now. I'm still going to take it in and all once I get new strings but ya I'm not gonna touch the two truss rods myself lol. Fuuuuuck that. Maybe if I had a long history of working with truss rods, but no, id rather get someone else to deal with that. And ya that ebay item looks a little sketchy I think I will go for the Joyo, I trust a fellow ERGist and it's not too pricey. Thanks a lot!

Unread 06-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #21
SS.orgLocalArchitect

crg123 is a name known to allcrg123 is a name known to allcrg123 is a name known to allcrg123 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
I have seen used Danelectro pedals sell used for about $10-20 on ebay. That might be a good route to take if you're strapped for cash.

Just found this on ebay, read the listing though because the person seems like a bit moron: Danelectro DJ14 Fish and Chips 7-Band EQ Pedal | eBay

"I plugged it in and my guitar made a different sound when playing."
Azathoth43 and quattro19tdi like this.
crg123 is offline   Reply With Quote