homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree185Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #51
Of Blood and Sawdust

JaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Of all those things, IMO the binding job is the most ridiculous as that's in plain sight. If it was a bolt on it could have been fixed relatively easily but sadly it isn't. The BKP thing, while stupid, isn't that much of a bother. Not properly shieldng cavities sounds like pure slop/time cutting to me.
JaeSwift is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #52
Deadite

Larrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud ofLarrikin666 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Holy shit. This is terrible. I know I'm one of the biggest Bernie fanatics around here, but that's not okay. Not even close. I don't envy being in your situation. The best thing I can recommend is talking to Bernie about it. Shoot me a PM if you want some help approaching him. He and I talk on the phone 3 or 4 times a week. I'd be happy to help facilitate the conversation with him if you want to go that route.

Victims of Contagion
Our Facebook page

Kemper(s) all up in this piece
Larrikin666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #53
Lefty

Phrygian is just really nicePhrygian is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeSwift View Post
The BKP thing, while stupid, isn't that much of a bother.
Try replacing it with a new pickup (same brand) that has its magnets so close to the edge that you can't shim it to fit the undersized cavity. Suddenly it's a mind.... of bother.

My Delirium

Gear:
]
FOR SALE -Carvin DC800

Mayones Regius 7
Axe FX II
Matrix gt1000fx
Zilla super fatboy 2x12
Phrygian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #54
blood junkie

TRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is it the photo angles, light reflection, or are some frets round crowned and some frets flat-top?
I like flats (as long as ALL fret tops are kept under 1mm), but having both rounds and flats on the same axe is a bit weird IMO.
TRENCHLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #55
Some Say...

glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Holy hell, I can't believe something like that ever left the shop. The only thing I can think of, is that since this guitar was made a few years ago from one of his discount runs, maybe he was letting others handle the workload? Pure speculation on my part, but it makes no sense how so many of his instruments are so spectacular and then there's this. Good luck man.

"I think he actually means beach wood. As in driftwood. For a sound as huge as the ocean." - TomAwesome

Most women just pretend that Men are the crazy ones. trust me. But when the new Dark Age arrives and they need food and shelter they will be lining up to lay down and please for a handful of blackberries and a deer skin hat. Good luck with you both and remember "it's 187 on an undercover cop" - Some Guy on Facebook
glassmoon0fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #56
SS.org Regular

infernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
I am glad someone finally posted irrefutable evidence of some of Bernie's shoddier work. I have owned two Rico's. One was a great playing and looking guitar. The other came to with scratched tuning machines, mismatched pickup rings, verticle notced gaps between the ebony board and maple neck, a terrible overspray paint job on the burst finish, some fake looking ping floyd rose, and was wired incorrectly to a Petrucci style mini-toggle. Call me crazy, but a luthier should be able to tell the difference between a full humbucker tone and a tapped one, right?
infernalservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #57
Cold As Ice

HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Of Angels View Post
Well, I'm saying that most of the reviews I've read have been overwhelmingly positive. Bernie's guitars do not carry a bad reputation overall - its mostly positive.
What I've found interesting is there seems to be a VERY similar review group for both the BRJ and Strictly 7 crowd on this forum. They throw up GLOWING reviews, sell the guitar a few weeks/month(s) later and then suddenly all the issues they had with the instruments come to light. So far the only person I've seen who had issues with his guitar that took care to bring them up before selling to an interested party has been Eric, huge props to him for being a standup gent. I've noticed a lot of guys having issues with guitars from those two luthiers have been dropping rave reviews and then can't seem to get rid of the guitars fast enough... Just saying... it makes you think....

Guitars: PRS (lots <3), Suhr, Parker, Thorn, Carvin
Rigs: Kemper + Atomic CLR, H&K GrandMeister 36 + Scumback M75's/Hellatone 60's

HighGain510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #58
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I noticed the same thing, as well as KxK.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 06:22 PM   #59
Assman McTrollster

axxessdenied is a name known to allaxxessdenied is a name known to allaxxessdenied is a name known to allaxxessdenied is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by elq View Post
Indeed. I'll probably part it out this weekend. Oh goodie - a shaved BKP, 8 crappy grover tuners, and (the only great part) a hipshot bridge. I expect to be rolling in dough soon
LOL!! Thanks for posting the pics. That is just brutal... and he actually signed the back of the headstock there himself? WITH THAT GIANT HOLE STILL VISIBLE?!

The WIP Thread
Give feedback to others, and get some in return on your works in progress!

musical exploration - Check out my site.
check it out! [ SoundCloud ] [ YouTube Channel ][ Instagram ]

Looking for great strings for your ERG?
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sig...pic36618_2.gif
axxessdenied is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #60
SS.org Regular

infernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud ofinfernalservice has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
I have owned a KXK and the build quality was way above my brj's. My only issue was that I bought too many guitars last year and had to unload the ones I wasn't playing. I sold the kxk to a member here, and he loves it.
mphsc likes this.
infernalservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #61
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Yeah, I'm just saying you do get quite a few up fs
Unread 06-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #62
Some Say...

glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGain510 View Post
What I've found interesting is there seems to be a VERY similar review group for both the BRJ and Strictly 7 crowd on this forum. They throw up GLOWING reviews, sell the guitar a few weeks/month(s) later and then suddenly all the issues they had with the instruments come to light. So far the only person I've seen who had issues with his guitar that took care to bring them up before selling to an interested party has been Eric, huge props to him for being a standup gent. I've noticed a lot of guys having issues with guitars from those two luthiers have been dropping rave reviews and then can't seem to get rid of the guitars fast enough... Just saying... it makes you think....
I think a lot of that has to do with the gearwhoring this forum facilitates, and the fact that people like to play up the gear they have vs. the gear they don't have. People love the guitars while they have them, then talk crap about them when they're done, kinda like an ex gf/bf .

I know I've now sold both a Rico and a Stric7 (to the same guy, no less) and both were excellent guitars, I just wasn't able to justify keeping them with newer, undoubtedly more expensive gear coming in. THIS is a different situation alltogether. It's like two different people are doing inspection, one is lights-out immaculate, the other is high on chromosomes . I've been very lucky to have 2 excellent examples of what Bernie can do, so I tend to aire on the positive side, but I'm gonna go check the drill job on my tuners anyway haha.

"I think he actually means beach wood. As in driftwood. For a sound as huge as the ocean." - TomAwesome

Most women just pretend that Men are the crazy ones. trust me. But when the new Dark Age arrives and they need food and shelter they will be lining up to lay down and please for a handful of blackberries and a deer skin hat. Good luck with you both and remember "it's 187 on an undercover cop" - Some Guy on Facebook
Unread 06-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #63
Banned

Did you check for a MiM stamp in the neck pocket too eric?!
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #64
The GAS Man

Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 105 reviews
I'm friends with a lot of players and gear whores, and I've heard mostly good things about their Rico's. Very few were in any way endorsed by Bernie. I've never owned one, so I couldn't care much less. I've owned a number of Strictly 7's and KxK's, and they usually go up for trade not long after reaching my hands... Why? Because I do that with just about everything I get - I try them out, see what they're all about, then move them on to the next guy that is curious, because it's a hobby of mine to try new guitars all of the time. I am definitely not alone with that hobby. The story is the same with just about every brand, it's just that the small builder stuff tends to stand out a bit more. For the record, nothing leaves my hands without full disclosure, so if the theory is that messed up guitars are being "rid of" without mention of their flaws, then our itrader system should be put to good use, so as to prevent such a thing from happening again in the future.

[Necris] 6:23 pm: "you will deal with the pork you recieve"
Adam Of Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #65
Some Say...

^yup

Unread 06-14-2012, 07:22 PM   #66
EOT
I pull over 500 lbs.

EOT is a name known to allEOT is a name known to allEOT is a name known to allEOT is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
I have three KxK's and one BRJ. I have two more KxK's being built right now. With no intention of ever letting them go. The BRJ is currently being rebuilt...
iron blast, HighGain510 and mphsc like this.

"Abs on a skinny guy are like big tits on a fat chick...they don't count"- my brother

Shit inbound:
KxK Sii-8 8 scale
BRJ Jekyll 828.. maybe...
Vik 8
EOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #67
Cold As Ice

HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOT View Post
I have three KxK's and one BRJ. I have two more KxK's being built right now. With no intention of ever letting them go. The BRJ is currently being rebuilt...
Well there goes your theory Stealth....
Church2224, trianglebutt and mphsc like this.

Unread 06-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #68
Banned

It wasnt a theory. All I said is I also see KxK's go up for sale frequently. So there goes YOUR theory.
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #69
Cold As Ice

Quote:
It wasnt a theory. All I said is I also see KxK's go up for sale frequently. So there goes YOUR theory.
How many have gone up for sale total? I don't own and never have owned a KxK so I have no horse in that race either, just curious why you think so many have been sold.

Unread 06-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #70
Banned

Looking at the classifieds? To be fair people selling kxks just seem to buy more with the money.
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #71
ss.org Regular

ziggystarpuff is a jewel in the rough
pardon my noob question, but why does is take so damn long to get a BRJ, granted I have never played one but what is the deal? I also refuse to believe that Bernie handles all the final aspects of the build, if it's order overload then wouldn't one know when to quit taking them or why add a BF sale if it takes that long already? please don't flame me too hard I'm just curious.
ziggystarpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #72
EOT
I pull over 500 lbs.

EOT is a name known to allEOT is a name known to allEOT is a name known to allEOT is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggystarpuff View Post
pardon my noob question, but why does is take so damn long to get a BRJ, granted I have never played one but what is the deal? I also refuse to believe that Bernie handles all the final aspects of the build, if it's order overload then wouldn't one know when to quit taking them or why add a BF sale if it takes that long already? please don't flame me too hard I'm just curious.
Who knows? It can take just as long to get a KxK. It seems to be the nature of the beast.
ziggystarpuff likes this.

"Abs on a skinny guy are like big tits on a fat chick...they don't count"- my brother

Shit inbound:
KxK Sii-8 8 scale
BRJ Jekyll 828.. maybe...
Vik 8
EOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #73
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggystarpuff View Post
Bernie has admitted in his own words that all he does is the finally assembly work, so fret dress/crown, cut/install the nut, electronics install, and hardware install.

He has an entire woodshop full of employees who glue, cut, and shape the guitars, as well as fret them. Then he has a professional (and great) paint guy to do 95% of the finish work.

From what I gather, his woodshop works around the clock to push out dozens upon dozens of nearly finished guitars so that he constantly has stock. One of his friends/sales agents who used to post here once bragged that Bernie had over 200+ guitars out of woodshop in various stages of being finished and that most were not spoken for.

There is a lot of speculation about why it has taken so long, and why communication has just about broken down completely for pretty long intervals. For a short time, the only way folks were getting updates was via this forum. All kinds of excuses have popped up, some logical and understandable, and others a little suspect (like the three or four "rogue employees" who have popped up over the last year and a half).

Considering how many BRJ guitars in the BFR run alone have needed to rebuilt two or three times, it shouldn't surprise anyone if a dud makes it through. How many builders scrap such a huge percentage of nearly finished guitars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOT View Post
Who knows? It can take just as long to get a KxK. It seems to be the nature of the beast.
The difference is that KxK is a one person shop. Rob does a have a sales guy, but he is the only one who does the woodwork.

BRJ is more of a smaller-medium scale company than a one man shop.
ziggystarpuff likes this.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #74
ss.org Regular

ziggystarpuff is a jewel in the rough
I can understand long wait times for a small scale shop especially a one man show, but I haven't heard anything worth the wait for the BRJ's, I repair instruments full time and I understand things take time but the longest thing I deal with is waiting for a finish to cure. CNC machines work pretty damn fast lol as for the rest of the setup stuff, it doesn't take long at all unless your making chicken salad out of chicken shit like working on a cheap guitar out of the box.
ziggystarpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #75
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Bernie got a little ambitious/greedy, took in FAR too many orders and that in turn stretched his staff and himself too thin to keep things moving smoothly. The fact that there were and still are so many guitars that needed to be rebuilt and had spec errors is the biggest sign of that.

When Bernie was moving 150 guitars in a few years time, he and his crew were able to stay on top of things, but compressing that into the space of a few months caused all kinds of things to go wrong. Every rebuild and rework has caused significant slow down. The fact that some BFR slots have changes hands as many as four times certainly doesn't help.

It's interesting to look at the first few months of posts in the BRJ BFR thread. It seems that many predictions made by folks, myself included, has wound up coming to fruition.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote