homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Dayn
  • 1 Post By vansinn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-11-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
Call me Micah

Captain Butterscotch is just really niceCaptain Butterscotch is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
GDGCFADG Tuning on a 27"

I did indeed use the search function but I think the OPs in the threads I read were using 25.5" necks. Basically, is it possible and if so will the G4 be ridiculously tight?
Captain Butterscotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I hope not, Im planning on using the same tuning :/
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Gemmeadia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thats what I tune to (minus the extra string) with my Agile Interceptor Pro 727 with 11-70 and the tension is pretty much perfect. If anything i would prefer something a little lighter like a .68 since the strings are too tight for my floyd rose to function properly without a tremel-no (which i plan to get regardless).

LET ME MIX/MASTER YOUR BAND

http://www.gemlabsaudio.com

AMBIENT HARDCORE PROJECT
http://www.facebook.com/paragon503
Gemmeadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Call me Micah

Captain Butterscotch is just really niceCaptain Butterscotch is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmeadia View Post
Thats what I tune to (minus the extra string) with my Agile Interceptor Pro 727 with 11-70 and the tension is pretty much perfect. If anything i would prefer something a little lighter like a .68 since the strings are too tight for my floyd rose to function properly without a tremel-no (which i plan to get regardless).
You have the high G on your 7? I was asking because I am about to pull the trigger on a Septor 827 and wanted to keep the Drop G I used on my 7 string but with that awesome high G sound I can get with the clean parts.
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
silly person

Dayn is just really niceDayn is just really nice
I had a stock D'Addario .008 on my RG2228 at 27"... lasted a couple of weeks before I got bored of it and tuned it down. Wasn't that flexible, I could bend it half a step and didn't dare go further, but it lasted a respectable amount of time. If I wanted to keep using it, even if it snapped every couple of weeks, the strings are cheap and easy to replace.

You may want to make sure the contact surfaces are smooth. You'll have to tune the high G up slowly... when I was going for A, a .007 snapped just past G because I was a bit enthusiastic.
DarkRain93 likes this.

...?!
Dayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 01:04 AM   #6
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Yeah going slowly is key. I emailed Skip at Circle K and asked him about using a high G on a 27" scale as I'm going to be getting strings from him soon, I'll let you know what he says.
Unread 06-12-2012, 01:20 AM   #7
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
Anyone remember Keith Merrow's Agile Intrepid video? 28.625" scale, drop F tuning with a high F:

and he used standard strings as far as i can remember. .10 or .09 for the high F.

go down to .08 or .07 gauge, and remove a little more than an inch from the scale length, and you're at least up to f# at the same tension. If that's not ridiculously tight, then you should be able to get up to a G. it'll be tight though, right?

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 02:28 AM   #8
such a shredneck..

vansinn is just really nicevansinn is just really nice
I'm tuning A1...G4 on 26.5", had the same 008 on for like half a year. And I bend it all the time
Not that much difference in tension betwen 26.5" and 27"..
You may like the tension from a 008 or go with a softer 0075 or 007.
DarkRain93 likes this.

van Sinn... plays progressive ambient jazz/rock/metal fusion
says, stop second guessing the past, keep pushing, or risk getting left behind
"the law is the law. there is no justice outside the law, but if you know the law, you can use it" - Todd Rungren
vansinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #9
Banned

ZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to all
Why not GCFBbEbGCF?
ZEBOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 02:36 AM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansinn View Post
I'm tuning A1...G4 on 26.5", had the same 008 on for like half a year. And I bend it all the time
Not that much difference in tension betwen 26.5" and 27"..
You may like the tension from a 008 or go with a softer 0075 or 007.
This is good to hear! Just using D'addario or?
Unread 06-12-2012, 04:23 AM   #11
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I had no problems with G# on 25.5 with Daddario .0085s.
Thus, I suggested the same string to my friend who wanted G at 27 (tension is the same).
They all broke instantly.
He's been happily tuned to G with a 007 for ages now with no issue.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
Call me Micah

Thanks for responding guys! When I get it done, I'll update this thread. What gauges do you guys suggest? The Ernie Ball 8 string pack seems like it'd be too heavy and I've never gone outside the box and gotten individual strings before.
Unread 06-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

SammyKillChambers is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealEntity View Post
I had no problems with G# on 25.5 with Daddario .0085s.
Thus, I suggested the same string to my friend who wanted G at 27 (tension is the same).
They all broke instantly.
He's been happily tuned to G with a 007 for ages now with no issue.
I was gonna say precisely this, but you kinda removed the need for me repeating it!
SammyKillChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

summit101 has a little shameless behaviour in the past
i tune to G(or F)CFBbEbGCG on 26.5 with a .007 on high G just fine but recently decided to go .008 since it could handle the scale length.
the gauge set i use is .008.011.014.018.030.038.054.074. i've put on .007.010.013.017.028.036.052.072 for this tuning but schecter necks don't set up that well with such light tension and only a single truss rod.
i like lighter tension but im just experimenting to see what feels and sounds bests with the set up im using.
summit101 is offline   Reply With Quote