homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree297Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
.strandberg* Guitars Production Line

Interesting.

Strandberg Guitarworks Blog Archive Stock Model Production
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
Some Say...

glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
DUDE! strandberg working with stric7, that's awesome! I love jim and the crew to death, and I was basing my strandberg build on my S7 wood selections, so this works out great IMO. Bitchin news!
UnderTone likes this.

"I think he actually means beach wood. As in driftwood. For a sound as huge as the ocean." - TomAwesome

Most women just pretend that Men are the crazy ones. trust me. But when the new Dark Age arrives and they need food and shelter they will be lining up to lay down and please for a handful of blackberries and a deer skin hat. Good luck with you both and remember "it's 187 on an undercover cop" - Some Guy on Facebook
glassmoon0fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Agreed.

I can't afford one, but maybe in the not-so-distant future. You never know.
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

InfinityAndThree is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm gonna try and go for one I think... God damn GAS not helping at all!!
InfinityAndThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Dragonblade629

Hemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of light
I just signed up for the Waiting List. From the way things are looking it'll be years before I even get close to the first spot, and I think by then I should have the money.

Also I would love to get my hands on that swamp ash standard once they're released.
Hemi-Powered Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
Rogue intellectual

celticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'll be VERY interested to see what the price points are like for those models.

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

Melody is the outpouring of the soul. Words interrupt the stream of the emotions.
For the songs of the souls, at the time they are swaying in the high regions to drink from the well of the Almighty,
consist of tones only, dismantled of words.
-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

7 strings, played slowly.
celticelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Classic Lojack

DoomJazz is a glorious beacon of lightDoomJazz is a glorious beacon of lightDoomJazz is a glorious beacon of light
This is like a merger of epic luthier proportions
thatguy5557123 likes this.
DoomJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
Dragonblade629

Hemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticelk View Post
I'll be VERY interested to see what the price points are like for those models.
He said $2000-$3000 USD, which considering the specs is well worth it.

http://strandbergguitars.com/wp-cont...ard-Models.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boden S
Chambered Swamp Ash body
Book matched flamed/curly/quilt Maple top
CF reinforced Maple neck
Rosewood fingerboard
Jumbo frets, leveled, crowned and dressed by hand
Black EGS series 3 hardware
3-position mini-switch selector (N/N+B/B)
Master volume
Master tone
Ebony knobs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boden J
Chambered Obeche body
Book matched Walnut top
CF reinforced Maple neck
Rosewood fingerboard
Jumbo frets, leveled, crowned and dressed by hand
Black EGS series 3 hardware
5-position selector (N/N coil-tap/N+B/B coil-tap/B)
Master volume
Master tone
Ebony knobs
I'm not really familiar with Obeche, anyone use it before?
Unread 05-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
Some Say...

glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
I think the Tosin production model will be a bit higher than 3k, but that's what i signed up for anyway (basically) so that's what I'm going with. Already emailed Ola, btw . I'll let you know how it goes

"I think he actually means beach wood. As in driftwood. For a sound as huge as the ocean." - TomAwesome

Most women just pretend that Men are the crazy ones. trust me. But when the new Dark Age arrives and they need food and shelter they will be lining up to lay down and please for a handful of blackberries and a deer skin hat. Good luck with you both and remember "it's 187 on an undercover cop" - Some Guy on Facebook
Unread 05-13-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

revclay is a jewel in the rough
E-mail has been sent to Ola. To say I am excited about this is an understatement. I want a multi-scale 8 with an IPNP neck so much. Best news maybe ever.

VIRGA
Full-length album, Fragments of Us All, out now! http://virga.bandcamp.com/
www.facebook.com/virgaband
www.youtube.com/virgaband
revclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
The Armada

Maybe I'll just not go to school next semester.
Unread 05-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
silly person

Dayn is a jewel in the rough
Awesome. I was just wondering what eight-string I should get next!

...Whenever I hear back about this job.

...?!
Dayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade629 View Post
He said $2000-$3000 USD, which considering the specs is well worth it.

I'm not really familiar with Obeche, anyone use it before?
3k would be kind of ridiculous for something build by S7 to be honest. Jim is a really nice guy and all..but I've heard wayyy to many things to ever think about forking over 3k for one of his builds. I'm not sure how that's a really good price either.
technomancer, elq, jjcor and 2 others like this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

in-pursuit is just really nicein-pursuit is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM View Post
Maybe I'll just not go to school next semester.
Gap year!!
in-pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #15
Dragonblade629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
3k would be kind of ridiculous for something build by S7 to be honest. Jim is a really nice guy and all..but I've heard wayyy to many things to ever think about forking over 3k for one of his builds. I'm not sure how that's a really good price either.
It's an extremely specific extended range, fanned fret, headless guitar with a fancy top from a small luthier. I don't know about you but that seems like a rather good deal. And what have you been hearing about S7? All I know is that the headstocks are kind of lame.
Unread 05-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

Cremated will become famous soon enough
I've heard S7G was kind of hit and miss in the beginning. But I've heard they've improved. I'd like to play one myself and decide for myself. I actually like the headstock with the right color/woods.

Besides, isn't it a collaboration thing? It's not like Jim is the only luthier. Unless I misunderstood.
Cremated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #17
Some Say...

Besides the ergonomic design, there really isn't much to strandberg's builds anyway. And I'm a huge fan of my s7 and don't think there's anything on Ola's builds that Jim cant handle before breakfast. Anything over 2k and you're paying for a name most of the time anyway, so sounds like a good deal to me
GTailly likes this.

Unread 05-13-2012, 11:17 PM   #18
Giggity

JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.JP Universe is the epitome of metal.
As tempting as this is.... i'd rather be patient, save the extra money and spec it out exactly how I want.
JP Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #19
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Universe View Post
As tempting as this is.... i'd rather be patient, save the extra money and spec it out exactly how I want.

Especially considering that I'm not paying much more for a significant amount of customization.
Mwoit and Solodini like this.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:34 PM   #20
I even lift.

gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremated View Post
I've heard S7G was kind of hit and miss in the beginning. But I've heard they've improved. I'd like to play one myself and decide for myself. I actually like the headstock with the right color/woods.

Besides, isn't it a collaboration thing? It's not like Jim is the only luthier. Unless I misunderstood.
In my experience, S7 is very good at the "mechanics" of guitar building. Mine is solidly built, with very good fretwork, and really nice woods (the ash body resonates really well ). I think the area where they can improve (and I think they are improving) are in the "finesse" aspects of building (ie. inlays, fancy tops, binding, etc..).

Ola's builds, from what I've seen, aren't exceedingly intricate. S7 is more than capable of handling these builds. Especially when you consider that much of it will be CNC'd. I think these are well worth the money. You'll have a more than capable builder, churning these out much quicker than Ola can by himself. I think this is a great move on Ola's part.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
gunshow86de is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #21
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshow86de View Post
In my experience, S7 is very good at the "mechanics" of guitar building. Mine is solidly built, with very good fretwork, and really nice woods (the ash body resonates really well ). I think the area where they can improve (and I think they are improving) are in the "finesse" aspects of building (ie. inlays, fancy tops, binding, etc..).

Ola's builds, from what I've seen, aren't exceedingly intricate. S7 is more than capable of handling these builds. Especially when you consider that much of it will be CNC'd. I think these are well worth the money. You'll have a more than capable builder, churning these out much quicker than Ola can by himself. I think this is a great move on Ola's part.
Didn't your S7G need the neck replaced?

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:46 PM   #22
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post

Especially considering that I'm not paying much more for a significant amount of customization.
Yeah, Ola isnt a crazy expensive builder normally, so why would you drop 3k on something with locked specs?
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #23
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
Yeah, Ola isnt a crazy expensive builder normally, so why would you drop 3k on something with locked specs?
I see the appeal being that you'll be getting one significantly faster than going full custom.

Most folks tend to be going for the same, or 90%, specs of the productions, so I see a lot of folks jumping at the production models. The prices aren't at all bad either for each stringed model, and are cheaper than the full customs.

It's guys like me who want something vastly different that aren't very interested in the production models. Which is why I chose to stick with a custom and pass on a production when I was given the questionnaire.

Honestly, I hope a lot of folks choose to opt out of customs and go for the production models, it'll certainly make my wait shorter.
Ribboz likes this.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 05-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #24
Banned

Yeah but there's really not enough labour involved to justify that price. Oh well..ill buy one used when everyone sells them the same way they sell their S7's
Unread 05-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #25
_(:3 」∠)_

silverabyss is just really nicesilverabyss is just really nice
Sort of neat that I can just get into a car and just go watch strandbergs being built.
silverabyss is offline   Reply With Quote