homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By MJS
  • 1 Post By Stealthdjentstic
  • 2 Post By JosephAOI
  • 1 Post By JamesM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Iron Beard will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
F# tuning a 7 string.

ive looked all over the place and cant really seem to find the tunings im looking for. im playing an 8 string tuned standard. f# b e a d g b e. the other guitar player in my band has no interest (or money) in getting an 8 string so we are trying to find a way to tune his 7 string to f# while still being able to play scales normally. ive found all the different gage string suggestions but no idea what the notes them self would be. so my question is, what would the notes be? also, if this tuning doesnt sound that well on his 7 string, how would i tune my 8 string to g and he tune is 7? thanks.
Iron Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-24-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
MJS

MJS is just really niceMJS is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This seems too simple, so maybe I'm missing what you're asking, but...

F#, B, E, A, D, F#, B

Is that not what you mean?

That keeps the 7 string fingering the same, just tuned way down.

If he'd rather not lose as many high notes, while still going as low as you, he could use Drop F# instead, which would be...

F#, C#, F#, B, E, G#, C#

That will change fingerings between the 6th & 7th string, though... so it's just up to him to decide what he wants.

As far as string tension goes, that depends on the scale length each of you have. The shorter the scale, the thicker the string needs to be to keep the tension up.

If you don't know the scale length, you can just measure from the face of the nut to the center of the 12th fret, then double it. You could also just post the make & model of the guitars and someone here would probably know the scale length.
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
Edgy Highschooler

BIG ND SWEATY is just really niceBIG ND SWEATY is just really nice
the tuning would just be missing the high e on the seven. none of the notes would change, not sure why you think they would

brutalwizard- "idk what kind of heavy dicked men you have come across,

but they almost sound as interesting as you say hahaha"

"That's because if you're going to dip your marshmallow in the fire, you need to crisp that ............ up to make it all gooey and delicious.

Not opting to let the man let his artistry run wild is like lightly browning the marshmallow. Still very tasty, just not quite the same."- Valennic on daemoness guitars
BIG ND SWEATY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
MJS

MJS is just really niceMJS is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ND SWEATY View Post
the tuning would just be missing the high e on the seven. none of the notes would change, not sure why you think they would
That would change the tuning from the 3rd to 2nd string, though... which is what I assumed he didn't want to do when he said "play scales normally." Unless he meant something else.

Kinda like how a lot of people would tune a 6 to B standard (B, E, A, D, F#, B) instead of the low 6 of a 7 string (B, E, A, D, G, B) to keep chord fingering the same as a standard tuned 6.
TRENCHLORD and Iron Beard like this.
MJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

Iron Beard will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
That would change the tuning from the 3rd to 2nd string, though... which is what I assumed he didn't want to do when he said "play scales normally." Unless he meant something else.

Kinda like how a lot of people would tune a 6 to B standard (B, E, A, D, F#, B) instead of the low 6 of a 7 string (B, E, A, D, G, B) to keep chord fingering the same as a standard tuned 6.

this is exactly what i meant. i think i get it now was just over thinking it.
Iron Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #6
Banned

Eric Christian is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Beard View Post
ive looked all over the place and cant really seem to find the tunings im looking for. im playing an 8 string tuned standard. f# b e a d g b e. the other guitar player in my band has no interest (or money) in getting an 8 string so we are trying to find a way to tune his 7 string to f# while still being able to play scales normally. ive found all the different gage string suggestions but no idea what the notes them self would be. so my question is, what would the notes be? also, if this tuning doesnt sound that well on his 7 string, how would i tune my 8 string to g and he tune is 7? thanks.
What exact model 7 is he playing? Despite what some would say here if it's a 25.5 inch scale you can pretty much forget tuning it to F# Standard. The F# string will sound like dookie. Heck even on a 27 inch scale an F# doesn't sound tight with a .074 string.
Eric Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
do u evn djent fggt?

JosephAOI is a name known to allJosephAOI is a name known to allJosephAOI is a name known to allJosephAOI is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
^ I disagree. My 7 is in Drop G (so just a half step higher) and I use a .059 on 25.5". I think it feels and sounds great. Don't believe me? Listen to anything on Born Of Osiris' newest album. They tune to drop G with a .056 for the G on 25.5". I personally would use like a .066 or so for F#

"Your picking hand scares me, Joseph" - My friend Pete

"If you can't enjoy one Meshuggah riff looped
for three hours straight, you're doing it wrong." -prh

"Having technical prowess is like masturbation: it's pretty
cool and it might please you, but there is still no emotional
connection between you and your hands." - broj15
JosephAOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #8
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephAOI View Post
^ I disagree. My 7 is in Drop G (so just a half step higher) and I use a .059 on 25.5". I think it feels and sounds great. Don't believe me? Listen to anything on Born Of Osiris' newest album. They tune to drop G with a .056 for the G on 25.5". I personally would use like a .066 or so for F#
Thats kind of crazy, I use a 66 for an Ab/G# on 25.5 and don't find it tight enough. I'll probably be using a 68 instead.
EtherealEntity likes this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 01:03 AM   #9
SS.org Regular

Cremated will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I use a .059 for A (at 25.5 scale) and find anything lower tuned a little flubby. I guess it's somewhat a personal preference thing. It doesn't sound horrible but it's loose enough for the 7th string to fly over the side of the fretboard in fast riffs. You have to apply a different amount of force to the lowest string than to any of the others at that gauge IMO. Maybe force isn't the right word, but I have to use my fretting hand a little differently on the lowest string (if the gauge is light) than with the other strings.

Fellow Louisvillian though? What part of town u in bro? Southside here, iroquois park area.
Cremated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #10
do u evn djent fggt?

JosephAOI is a name known to allJosephAOI is a name known to allJosephAOI is a name known to allJosephAOI is a name known to all
I know what you mean. There is a different way of getting used to it. Once I did though, I fell in love with them.

I'm in Middletown though, right across from St. Matthews mall. Awesome to see more guys from around here! We should get together sometime!

Unread 04-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

Gotcha. We should jam son. The few buddies that I had to jam with quit playing pretty much after having kids and shit.
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Why do you both need to be able to play F#? That is a question you should dwell on.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #13
sixstringer

Bigfan is a glorious beacon of lightBigfan is a glorious beacon of lightBigfan is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMyghin View Post
Why do you both need to be able to play F#? That is a question you should dwell on.
Because they're using it as a pedal note, I assume. Nothing wrong with that.
Bigfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
do u evn djent fggt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremated View Post
Gotcha. We should jam son. The few buddies that I had to jam with quit playing pretty much after having kids and shit.
Woah, how old are you?? Haha, I'm only 17, none of my friends are having kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMyghin View Post
What's wrong with tuning low? It's the same argument with everything else. If you want to play 6's, 7's, 8's, even 9's, if you want to play in Drop Z#, if you want to write 26 minute songs, if you want three bassists and no guitarists, ect. Who cares what you do to make music? It's YOUR music.

He made this thread to ask what he should do to tune that low, not if he should and why he should or shouldn't tune that low. Just sayin'
carcass and Iron Beard like this.

Unread 04-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #15
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
^I think he was implying that they could make the best of the their situation and have the different tunings compliment each other.
SirMyghin likes this.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #16
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Armada View Post
^I think he was implying that they could make the best of the their situation and have the different tunings compliment each other.
Precisely but I suppose the mindset of the folks around here answers the question one way or another. No?

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #17
do u evn djent fggt?

My apologies then, SirMyghin. Someone was bashing me today at Guitar Center for tuning low on a 7 string so I was already a little defensive about it. I agree though, that two different guitarists using different tunings has cool outcomes. The only bands I can think of though off the top of my head are Scale The Summit and Dancing With Paris, which i love both bands.

Unread 04-29-2012, 01:32 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Woah, how old are you?? Haha, I'm only 17, none of my friends are having kids.
Lol I'm 23. The majority of my friends are a couple years older though. And I think keeping the 8 and 7 both in standard would work fine. The 7 will just have to play different riffs to compliment the 8 when it's playing lower notes.
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #19
Formerly Lern2Swim

Ben.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Christian View Post
What exact model 7 is he playing? Despite what some would say here if it's a 25.5 inch scale you can pretty much forget tuning it to F# Standard. The F# string will sound like dookie. Heck even on a 27 inch scale an F# doesn't sound tight with a .074 string.
Yes. Continue telling people that, despite the fact that it's not factual, just your opinion, and it's been demonstrated to not be true time and time again.
Ben.Last is online now   Reply With Quote