homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Waelstrum
  • 1 Post By Hollowway
  • 1 Post By explosivo
  • 1 Post By EtherealEntity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

fungwabus117 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What to do with an 8 string and a 4 string bass?

Hi all, first post here. I'm curious as to what you guys think I can do in terms of recording if I have an 8 string and a 4 string guitar. I cannot finance the purchase of a 5 string bass at this time, so it seems to me I have two options:

1. Use pitch shifting to shift the 8 string down to bass range

2. Or put the heaviest gauge strings I can find on the 4 string bass and tune down as low as humanly or physically possible.

Which one is more viable? or can anyone else think of an alternative?

Thanks!
fungwabus117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #2
Banned

Eric Christian is a jewel in the rough
Tune both the bass & guitar to B standard?
Eric Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
All Fourths Advocate

Waelstrum is just really niceWaelstrum is just really nice
You could tune the four string bass Meshuggah style so that it is in unison with the lowest four strings of your eight string guitar. When a guitar is tuned as low as eight string standard, pretty much all you hear is the overtones, so even though the bass will have the same notes, they're timbrally different enough that having them together really fills out the sound.
right_to_rage likes this.
Waelstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I'm gonna say that you've been handed the tools to experiment and think outside the box. I say come up with a non traditional way to use the two together.
celticelk likes this.
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:52 AM   #5
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Yeah, Waelstrum has a point, the bass will still flesh out your guitar really well.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 02:15 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

explosivo is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
EADGCFAD on the 8 string and EADG standard on the bass.

Pretty much exactly what Waelstrum said, just down tuned a bit
Bigfan likes this.
explosivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 03:21 AM   #7
Electrifying

Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.Rook is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Another agreeing with something like that^

IMO basses start losing definition below about D or Db anyway unless you have a particularly good 5 (most cheap 5's just can't pull off that 5th string). There's also more difference between a bass and a guitar than the size and the number of strings. The strings are much stiffer meaning less overtones and more of the energy focused around a smaller bandwidth about the fundamental. I wouldnt say all you hear is overtakes with an 8, but owing to the nature of the strings (less stiff so more overtones - overtones are basically 5th and octave harmonics (mostly) that sound as a result of smaller standing waves occurring on the string) and the effect distorted amps have, the signal power is spread over a broad range of harmonics and less undertone.

Tldr basses are bassier, so even tuned to the same notes a bass still serves its purpose.

Got questions about anything I've said, done or do? How about pickups, tech, music production or just anything! Check here and ask away!

My project on Facebook: Rook

Click banner below to download my first E.P. for free or pay what you want:
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #8
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by explosivo View Post
EADGCFAD on the 8 string and EADG standard on the bass.

Pretty much exactly what Waelstrum said, just down tuned a bit
This, or EAEADGBE + EADG.

Then again I think Hollowway has a very very good point.
EtherealEntity is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
Tranquil insurgent

celticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to all
If you're tuning in standard on both instruments, then you're probably tending to write in F# so that you can chug on the lowest guitar string. (I'm assuming that you play metal, as that's generally a safe assumption around here.) A standard-tuned four-string bass then gives you the option to drop down to E as a leading tone into that F# root. No problem.

Honestly, I find threads like this somewhat weird. Do what works best for the music that you're playing. You're in a better position to judge what that might be than any of us.

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

Melody is the outpouring of the soul. Words interrupt the stream of the emotions.
For the songs of the souls, at the time they are swaying in the high regions to drink from the well of the Almighty,
consist of tones only, dismantled of words.
-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

7 strings, played slowly.
celticelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

ixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud of
Circle K Strings - Standard Balanced 4 Strings
ixlramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #11
All Fourths Advocate

Waelstrum is just really niceWaelstrum is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticelk View Post
If you're tuning in standard on both instruments, then you're probably tending to write in F# so that you can chug on the lowest guitar string. (I'm assuming that you play metal, as that's generally a safe assumption around here.) A standard-tuned four-string bass then gives you the option to drop down to E as a leading tone into that F# root. No problem.

Honestly, I find threads like this somewhat weird. Do what works best for the music that you're playing. You're in a better position to judge what that might be than any of us.
E# is the leading tone to F#. E is the subtonic.
Waelstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 01:48 AM   #12
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
^ Yeah, not a leading tone but I know what he meant. It is very useful to be able to get a whole tone beneath the root.
celticelk likes this.
EtherealEntity is online now   Reply With Quote