homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-17-2012, 01:56 AM   #26
SS.org Regular

AnarchyDivine88 is a name known to allAnarchyDivine88 is a name known to allAnarchyDivine88 is a name known to allAnarchyDivine88 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
YES!! Finally! Now I won't have to have an 8 string Floyd made out of 2 bridges, like I was thinking of having done. I'll just wait until these are out. I don't know why it's taking this long though, especially considering they already have one in the Schecter C8 FR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
I dig.

Pitty that I'll probably never get another parallel fretted 8-string. Too hooked on fans.

Maybe throw one in an RG2228 for a project.
Isn't the basswood body on the RG2228 too soft to put a Floyd in, because it would have issues with the posts over time from the string tension? I think you would have to have a new body made out of a different type of wood. Or at least that's what I've heard anyway, I could be totally wrong.
AnarchyDivine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-17-2012, 01:58 AM   #27
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarchyDivine88 View Post
Isn't the basswood body on the RG2228 too soft to put a Floyd in, because it would have issues with the posts over time from the string tension? I think you would have to have a new body made out of a different type of wood. Or at least that's what I've heard anyway, I could be totally wrong.

Tell that to my 91' UV7s.

I think over two decades of trem abuse has proven the opposite of whoever these folks you've heard from.
Bigfan likes this.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 02:18 AM   #28
SS.org Regular

AnarchyDivine88 is a name known to allAnarchyDivine88 is a name known to allAnarchyDivine88 is a name known to allAnarchyDivine88 is a name known to all
Oh lol cool, well that's really good to know, that means I might not have to have a new body made for my RG2228 after all. I heard it from this thread: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/lut...se-uv88mc.html

Maybe it has something to do with using an 8 string Floyd specifically? I don't know, I guess I'll look into it a little more before I proceed with anything, but if it worked for you for a long time, than I guess there shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks Max!
AnarchyDivine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 02:19 AM   #29
Bonitis.

Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.
I have a Zion with a basswood body and a floyd that's been through potentially 26 years of abuse (I don't have an exact date of the build but it was some time in the late 80s), everything is fine so far. However I have heard that Zion drilled out and installed 2 maple dowels for the posts on their floyd equipped guitars.

Extreme Syncopation =/= Poly-rhythmic

Necris is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 02:28 AM   #30
Giddyup.

Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
Ive always wondered about that, when you go to order/spec out a carvin it says Original Floyd Rose doesnt it?
It's because the 7XX bodies are too thin to accomodate the block on the OFR, IIRC. I remember seeing someone buy an OFR 7 and shorten the block to fit.

M E M O I R S
Music from myself and Kurkkuviipale!
http://soundcloud.com/m-e-m-o-i-r-s

I also do graphic design, both freelance and for label Myriad Records.
Prydogga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 02:29 AM   #31
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prydogga View Post
It's because the 7XX bodies are too thin to accomodate the block on the OFR, IIRC. I remember seeing someone buy an OFR 7 and shorten the block to fit.
There's actually a string spacing issue.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 03:30 AM   #32
SS.org Regular

sleightest will become famous soon enough
time to start saving. Love my Jem love my 8 string. Soon I can have both!
sleightest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 04:20 AM   #33
Music/Guitar Addict

gulli05 has a spectacular aura about
I seriously hope this will be made available to left-handed guitarists as well as them making an official Original 7-String Floyd Rose. Currently we lefties are forced to work with the Korean made (not Licensed one but Original Korean made) which is only available to guitar makers and factories (and replacements if required are made through local dealers for where-ever you bought that guitar).
gulli05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 05:32 AM   #34
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

I smell a project coming...

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #35
Banned

yellow will become famous soon enough
you know, ive been hopin for a 8 string floyd to come along for a while, actually since i joined this site, (didnt even know schecter released one) but i JUST bought a damien elite 8 a few days ago so although im happy about the news (especially for some of you guys who have the money ready to go), ill have to pass on this this time around. especially cuz i got the elite 8 for $280.
yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #36
That Guy

tommychains is a jewel in the rough
ABOUT TIME!!! well, there goes saving for a while.
tommychains is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #37
Bowes Guitars

canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.canuck brian is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
About damn time...

Also poor Kahler, now nobody will buy their trems, except people wanted fanned fret trem systems

It's pretty crazy how desperate they are for endorsee's and stuff now. :\
I can't stick a Floyd in a guitar that's only 1.25 inches thick. I can however, put a Kahler in one (and I am!) There will always be a use for them.

Besides, until BC Rich and ESP stop making Slayer signatures, Kahlers will always have a market. :P
Konfyouzd and dkuehn1 like this.
canuck brian is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #38
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
I don't see anything "wrong" with Kahlers... I just know Floyds better and as such I trust them a bit more.

Unread 04-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #39
Guitar Padawan

Gregadethhh is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Universe View Post
I see an Ibanez RG like 8 string Floyd happening for me in the future

If Ibanez won't put one into production, I'll build my own!!!
I see the same too, and I prefer Ibanez trem's to Floyd Rose (except the Edge III ofc) but a ZR-8 would be awesome!
Konfyouzd likes this.

Well, I'm out guys. If this is what's cool now, I think I'm done. I no longer have any connection to this world. I'm gonna go home and kill myself. Goodbye - Cartman
Gregadethhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #40
Dread-I Master

Although I like Ibby and FR about the same.

Unread 04-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #41
Blast & Sweep

Thep is a name known to allThep is a name known to allThep is a name known to allThep is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Now changing string guages and a new setup will become a summer project!
Go To Bed Jessica likes this.
Thep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #42
7=best number

welsh_7stinger is a jewel in the rough
this is awesome news but i still gotta say id rather get a kahler 8 trem due to the fact its easier to install ur self. i know obvious but true.
welsh_7stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 04:20 PM   #43
Lefty Derp

AwakenNoMore is a jewel in the rough
^ I like everything about the Kahler except two things, I've never been able to get one to be as stable as a Floyd and you can't dive bomb it as far. If these weren't issues I would put them on all my trem builds.

Cakefarts
AwakenNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #44
SS.org Regular

Cremated will become famous soon enough
Isn't the basswood body on the RG2228 too soft to put a Floyd in, because it would have issues with the posts over time from the string tension? I think you would have to have a new body made out of a different type of wood. Or at least that's what I've heard anyway, I could be totally wrong.[/QUOTE]

I have a LTD MF-207 7 string floyd. It's basswood and the body of the guitar and the bridge is fine. I've had it for over 8 years. I don't think basswood should cause a problem.

I have a DC800 on the way. I've never owned a guitar without a floyd, so I might consider this for the Carvin. Guess I'll have to wait and see if i like the hipshot.
Cremated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #45
SS.org Regular

ahull123 is a name known to allahull123 is a name known to allahull123 is a name known to allahull123 is a name known to all
here's a floyd I pieced together

MetalBuddah and sleightest like this.
ahull123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #46
Making a meat suit

MetalGravy is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
About damn time...

Also poor Kahler, now nobody will buy their trems, except people wanted fanned fret trem systems

It's pretty crazy how desperate they are for endorsee's and stuff now. :\

How are those anyway? I've been wanting to have one put on a custom but not sure about spending the extra money if they're not reliable. I remember reading some complaints on here, but I think that was more of an installation issue (not routing deep enough for the flat mount).
MetalGravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #47
ss.org Regular

BurnHouse is on a distinguished road
finally! this is what has kept me from getting my first 8 string.

really great news!
BurnHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #48
ss.org Regular

dkuehn1 is a jewel in the rough
I still prefer the way I started playing 15 years ago. Hardtail/stop tail. I tried after 6 years to rock on a Floyd, and let me say it was HORRIBLE! I like the stability and dont quite grasp the concept of floating bridges. I admit, I am ignorant of them for the simple fact I had one really bad experience and dodged them since! But damnit! When that string snapped (I was borrowing my friends guitar) and everything just dropped to hell, I was like..... be back after these commercials lol
dkuehn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #49
SS.org Regular

Cremated will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkuehn1 View Post
I still prefer the way I started playing 15 years ago. Hardtail/stop tail. I tried after 6 years to rock on a Floyd, and let me say it was HORRIBLE! I like the stability and dont quite grasp the concept of floating bridges. I admit, I am ignorant of them for the simple fact I had one really bad experience and dodged them since! But damnit! When that string snapped (I was borrowing my friends guitar) and everything just dropped to hell, I was like..... be back after these commercials lol
As long as they're set up correctly you shouldn't have any problems. I had some problems with a licensed floyd rose where it kept floating further and further away from the body but I took it to a shop and he worked on it and it's been fine ever since. I also have another licensed and it's been fine for years. I've also never had any problems at all out of original floyds that I've owned even after a lot of abuse. I'm not saying they're fantastic or better than everything else out there ( I like some of the ibby edge trems but only used a few times. Never used a kahler, etc.) But if an OFR is set up correctly they work perfectly and shouldn't have any issues.
Hollowway likes this.
Cremated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2012, 07:10 PM   #50
Awaiting Boden8

jsl2h90 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
Maybe throw one in an RG2228 for a project.
Is it just a simple pop 'n swap or would the EFX bridge route be a problem? Cause I thought of putting one in as soon as I saw this. Although I hope its the German one cause I think my Loomis had one of those crappy 1000 series and the bar would never stay where I wanted it even when I screwed it all the way in.

-In Maya's Grip, Illusion Transforms Verity...
-Will sell every piece of gear I have for an 8-string Jackson soloist (JSL2H8?)
jsl2h90 is offline   Reply With Quote