homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Metalman X
  • 3 Post By Stealthdjentstic
  • 1 Post By Metalman X
  • 1 Post By IB-studjent-
  • 1 Post By Anonymous
  • 1 Post By mphsc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-15-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Giant Lummox

Metalman X is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thumbs up NGD- Halo XSI Baritone 7-String

Showed up unnanounced yesterday, and am very pleased!

And I say 'unannounced' as Halo forgot to send the shi[pping/tracking info this time around, so I had no idea it shipped yet (well, maybe I should check my spam folder)...which is fine. It arrived sooner than expected, so it was a nice surprise actually. They said something like 6-8 weeks cuz there backed up with orders right now, and we're up front and honest about that when I paid. Took about 5 weeks, maybe 6 to arrive...so my fatass is happy with that!

Anyway, this is my 3rd Halo guitar (2nd bought direct from the company, one bought used from ebay), and man, they make an awesome axe!!! Yes, yes...there've been horror stories in the past about there QC, but thankfully that seems to be long in the past. Myself, I've been completely pleased with there service, and gear thus far (my Hellfire is about a year old now, and still see's constant play! And the used Squid baritone I got is awesome too....neck needed some TLC from the previous owner's abuse, which I sorted out, but I got it for like $100 as is, so no complaints).

But yeah...this thing is ....ing great! I sent them the strings I like as well as details on my preferred tuning (A standard, with D'Addario 10-62 strings...nothing too crazy, really), they set it up for me, and even swapped out the stock EMG's for Blackouts for me, per my request (sure, that's easy enough, but it's nice to have a guitar arrive with the shit I want already in it...and save me the time, and potential extra expense of procuring the pick-ups, and doing the swap myself). I just unpacked it, checked the tuning (slightly flat, as it went from CA. to CT. and you should slacken your strings before shipping anyway), plugged it into my Cyclone, turned that shit up, and was throwing down some big, doomy riffage within' 10 minutes of it's arrival!

Did I mention this thing sounds huge? Seriously though...I was a little bit concerned alder may be a tad brighter than what I'm used to (mahogany), but no issues here. It's big, thick and crushing, but still has awesome note definition! Of course, Blackouts are a great choice in general, but they seem to work well in alder too!

And the ebony board...up til now, all my shit's been rosewood. So I'm used to that...ebony feels so smooth and silky under the nubs, though! I can get used to that.

The neck is great...not super thin like an Ibby, and not a baseball bat...perfect grip, IMO. I'm more of a rhythm player, and got big hands, so the width, and thickness of the neck is very cozy for me...and the 27" scale length feels perfect for my big sausage fingers (okay, this paragraph is really starting to sound questionable!). Of course, my Squid is a 28" scale, and I also play bass (one of my basses is a 35" scale 6 string, in fact), so this is really not an adjustment at all for me. Of course, I never really had too much issues with adjusting to different scale lengths anyway. Anyway...fretwork is also nice. No imperfections or anything...beautifully done, and also, the finish is flawless too (for now...I also tend to bump my headstock's into ceilings and eyeballs, cuz I'm a clutz like that)

It's got a good weight to it too...not super heavy, but enough that when strapped on (am I a perve, or whats up with my choices of words here?), you know your holding something substantial. Seems to balance well too. No neck dive here. Probably due to the longer upper-body horn, where the strap is positioned.

As for personalization/mods...strictly cosmetic here. I put the 'inlay' decals on, and swapped the knobs to something a little different. Also, I changed the controls positions. I like my pick-up toggle switch nearest to the bridge, as that's the only control I really use anyway, and than put the volume and tone knobs directly adjacent to eachother. Just something odd I do with almost all my guitars...personal preference, yadda yadda. Also I like to put some foam past the nut to quell extraneous overtones. Not really a mod, but I figured I'd explain since I know someone will ask. I do this with all my non locking-nut guitars

Alas...the juicy stuff. Specs, for my fellow gear-dorks:
Strings: 7 (D'Addario .10-.62 gauge tuned to A standard)

Scale Length: 27.0"

Body: Solid Alder, Flamed Maple Veneer, Black Binding

Pickups: Seymour Duncan AHB-1 set (per my request. Normally comes stock with a set of EMG's)

Body Finish: Transparent Black

Headstock Shape: 4 X 3

Neck Finish: Transparent Black

Neck/Fingerboard: 3-Piece Maple/Ebony, set neck construction

Frets/Size: 24, Extra Jumbo

Inlays: Roman Numerals (self applied, not from the company)

Nut: Graphtech Black TUSQ XL

Hardware Color: Black

Bridge System: Tune-O-Matic with Tailpiece

And the money shot! the pics! (I need to replace my camera.......ers been dropped numerous times and doesn't focus so well, but I got a couple of decent shots.

Vicious7 and Eric Christian like this.

GOTTA-PAY-MY-RENT-SALE! BASS BIG MUFF DELUXE, JACKSON KELLY, RANDALL T2 COMBO... MORE, NOTE ME, CHECK THE AD'S HERE
My my recent complete album, available here http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/hol...ign-mpt=uo%3D4

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Nadir-Eclipse/116656515020832?ref=ts
Metalman X is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #2
Ima let u finish but

ImaDjentleman will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ttttttttttttlllllllllllllll;dddddddddddrrrrrrrrrrr r but niiice looking geetar, happy ngd
ImaDjentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
Giant Lummox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaDjentleman View Post
ttttttttttttlllllllllllllll;dddddddddddrrrrrrrrrrr r but niiice looking geetar, happy ngd
Thanx!

And yeah..guess I got carried away abit. More of a mni-review, really.

GOTTA-PAY-MY-RENT-SALE! BASS BIG MUFF DELUXE, JACKSON KELLY, RANDALL T2 COMBO... MORE, NOTE ME, CHECK THE AD'S HERE
My my recent complete album, available here http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/hol...ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Unread 04-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Thats one reallly pale piece of ebony...
Hollowway, Necris and Levi79 like this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
ss.org Regular

IB-studjent- is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
Thats one reallly pale piece of ebony...
behave Mehtab but yeah you should lemon oil that sucker !

-Vik duality 8 fanned fret-
-Vik DCA baritone 6 string
-

This just in:
Apologies to the other Abasi fanbois out there....I have just recently - yesterday actually - moved to a new favorite guitarist. stated a relavent member of the music community.
IB-studjent- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
Petrucci Wannabe

Jet9 is a jewel in the rough
I've always loved the way Halo guitars looked, but I was completely turned off by all of those horror stories. If they've really picked up their game then I definitely see myself with one of these in the near future...

"Sometimes the milk can hurt you, if you put it on your cereal before you smell the plastic container."
-Frank Zappa
Jet9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
Kane's Bane

Danukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to beholdDanukenator is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What were the horror stories? I have visited the site a few times but never pulled the trigger.

XSI is easily my favorite shape from them. Radical but not stupid.
Danukenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
Giant Lummox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danukenator View Post
What were the horror stories? I have visited the site a few times but never pulled the trigger.

XSI is easily my favorite shape from them. Radical but not stupid.
Do a forum search. Seems this was the place most of the less-satisfied customers hailed from...I think (only seen Halo mentioned in a couple other forums, really.)

But truly, I can vouch for their current management. Great people there. I've ordered from them twice in the last year, and am sure I will again a 3rd time sooner than later. Your getting a great guitar for the money.
The Munk likes this.

Unread 04-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Giant Lummox

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB-studjent- View Post
behave Mehtab but yeah you should lemon oil that sucker !
In all fairness...my camera sucks (dropped numerous times while drunk, and will no longer focus properly, and the contrast seems a bit off too). So I had to lighten these pics a bit to show details in the finish. In person it the board looks a bit darker and less 'brown'....still not super-dark though (my female has a functional, and semi-pro digital camera. I should get her to take some pics). I know it CAN be darker though. Lemon Oil helps with that?

Unread 04-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
ss.org Regular

IB-studjent- is a jewel in the rough
Yeah. Lemon oil usually enriches it and makes it much darker
Metalman X likes this.

-Vik duality 8 fanned fret-
-Vik DCA baritone 6 string
-

This just in:
Apologies to the other Abasi fanbois out there....I have just recently - yesterday actually - moved to a new favorite guitarist. stated a relavent member of the music community.
IB-studjent- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #11
Giant Lummox

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB-studjent- View Post
Yeah. Lemon oil usually enriches it and makes it much darker
Ah, cool! Thanx for the tip

Unread 04-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #12
Expect us

Anonymous is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'd vouch for Halo, I have a BH-7 and I like it quite abit, none of the horror stories here where true about it.
Very nice craftsmenship, quality wood, and Electronics worked and still work 100%.
And the frets are still good.
Metalman X likes this.

Samurai of Legend
Broke Tooth Oni [937449]

PlayStation Network
Skiller-Nu
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
lover of fine woods

mphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I do go back & look at that quilted Morbus 8 string from time to time...

Congrats.
Metalman X likes this.
mphsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

hmmm_de_hum is just really nicehmmm_de_hum is just really nice
My Octavia should be arriving soon, it's somewhat reassuring to see satisfied customers, the XSI does look weird to me in something other than a 10 string or bass variant, but of course not a bad weird!!!

The mirror which flatters not....
hmmm_de_hum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #15
Is a Fat Bird

Ocara-Jacob is a glorious beacon of lightOcara-Jacob is a glorious beacon of lightOcara-Jacob is a glorious beacon of light
So is this just the production model that you had Duncans installed in?

I happen to provide affordable online session drumming, drum programming, mixing, and mastering! Hit me up via PM if you're interested.

https://soundcloud.com/jacob-jung-1/s2-0-hd500-studio-one-4
Ocara-Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
Giant Lummox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm_de_hum View Post
My Octavia should be arriving soon, it's somewhat reassuring to see satisfied customers, the XSI does look weird to me in something other than a 10 string or bass variant, but of course not a bad weird!!!
Over at HCAF someone said it looked like a bass shape, what with the longer upper horn. Perhaps tru...but yeah...I dig it too. Something different.

Congrats on the impending Octavia! If it's anywhere near as good as my XSI and hellfire, your in for a treat. Good stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocara-Jacob View Post
So is this just the production model that you had Duncans installed in?
Yup. I asked if they could swap out for me, and they did.

The couple little cosmetic differences are my own doing.

Unread 04-19-2012, 06:57 PM   #17
Is a Fat Bird

Ocara-Jacob is a glorious beacon of lightOcara-Jacob is a glorious beacon of lightOcara-Jacob is a glorious beacon of light
^ Cool, I might be getting a Halo if they ever make an Octavia 7-string production model.

I happen to provide affordable online session drumming, drum programming, mixing, and mastering! Hit me up via PM if you're interested.

https://soundcloud.com/jacob-jung-1/s2-0-hd500-studio-one-4
Ocara-Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 07:32 PM   #18
Giant Lummox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocara-Jacob View Post
^ Cool, I might be getting a Halo if they ever make an Octavia 7-string production model.
That would indeed, be bad-ass.

I'd actually love to have a baritone Hellfire, or better yet, a 7-string baritone Hellfire! I like V shapes alot, and there aren't too many non-custom shop options out there for V type baritones. Like that Devin Townsend sig model.... Would LOVE something like that one day.

Unread 02-21-2013, 05:27 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

LIPCoelhoq will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Metalman, are you still happy with your Halo? any problems, everything still working well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman X View Post
I'd actually love to have a baritone Hellfire, or better yet, a 7-string baritone Hellfire! I like V shapes alot, and there aren't too many non-custom shop options out there for V type baritones. Like that Devin Townsend sig model.... Would LOVE something like that one day.
amen to that. i love Vs and the Peavey PXD is amazing, the only issues for me are the single coil and the lacking of a OFR
LIPCoelhoq is offline   Reply With Quote