homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Greatoliver
  • 1 Post By Greatoliver
  • 2 Post By Robot Lord of Death
  • 4 Post By Eric Christian

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
Sol Niger worshipper

Robot Lord of Death is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shit, i need help with my RG2228

I am way too ....ed up to even look for a general discussion thread.

I was tuning my RG2228, for the first time since my purchase the 5th march, i noticed some buzz on the 7th string when played open, i thought it was the string height, i tried adjusting it, the retarded docs on the brigde didnt tell much on how, i tried the screw that looked most relevant to string height, suddenly *CLACK* and the string went completely loose. I tried anything i thought would help, screwing the thing back in place, trying to tune it, nothing helped. I am taking it to the shop tomorrow and maybe demand a full refund on the thing, i dont want guitars made by assholes that cant properly document their individual guitars.

Sorry if i sound like a troll or anything, i am just mad and really ....ing AARGH, i was gonna record a song tomorrow.. but i guess thats gonna wait FOR A VERY LONG TIME

Robot Lord of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
Looking to windward

Greatoliver is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
...Is anything actually broken? Which screw did you unscrew? If the string went slack, then it sounded like you either loosened the intonation screw or the bolt holding the string into the bridge.

The relevant screws to string height are the bolts on either side of the bridge, and the bolt at the back of the bridge. The individual string heights aren't adjustable (unless you do some shimming) as it is not necessary as the radius of the bridge matches the radius of the fretboard. Hence, you could have raised the bass side up a bit, but that would have raised the 8th string the most etc.

As to the buzz, it could have been that you have a too thing string for your B, or that it was a dud string. There could have been a problem with the guitar, which is unlikely as it is a Prestige so the QC is pretty good.

Could you explain the situation a bit more? Then we could possibly sort it out now, rather than you having to take it to the shop and be angry

Losing sleep at Cambridge uni
Greatoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
Sol Niger worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatoliver View Post
...Is anything actually broken? Which screw did you unscrew? If the string went slack, then it sounded like you either loosened the intonation screw or the bolt holding the string into the bridge.

The relevant screws to string height are the bolts on either side of the bridge, and the bolt at the back of the bridge. The individual string heights aren't adjustable (unless you do some shimming) as it is not necessary as the radius of the bridge matches the radius of the fretboard. Hence, you could have raised the bass side up a bit, but that would have raised the 8th string the most etc.

As to the buzz, it could have been that you have a too thing string for your B, or that it was a dud string. There could have been a problem with the guitar, which is unlikely as it is a Prestige so the QC is pretty good.

Could you explain the situation a bit more? Then we could possibly sort it out now, rather than you having to take it to the shop and be angry
Hmm theres like two/three screw thingies where the string is mounted, one directly below the string wich i cant reach without removing the string, and another that looks like a torque screw, at the far end theres a funny dial thing i dont need a tool to adjust with. I must have loosened the thing that keeps the string, i am pretty sure actually, now that i know that i just need to know how to put it back again, just screwing it back didnt help for a damn

The string buzz only happended after i tuned the thing.
Unread 04-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Looking to windward

Greatoliver is a jewel in the rough
Yeah it sounds like you did the torque screw. To put it back, you essentially stick the end of the string in the hole, and tighten it. I think there may also be a tiny little block to go in there as well... There is a chance that may have fallen out. What happens when you try and tune it up to the right pitch?

Out of interest, what pitch are you tuning it to and what gauge is the string?

Losing sleep at Cambridge uni
Greatoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
Sol Niger worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatoliver View Post
Yeah it sounds like you did the torque screw. To put it back, you essentially stick the end of the string in the hole, and tighten it. I think there may also be a tiny little block to go in there as well... There is a chance that may have fallen out. What happens when you try and tune it up to the right pitch?

Out of interest, what pitch are you tuning it to and what gauge is the string?
Hey its fixed now, its in tune again, but theres still that annoying buzz

I use the strings it game with, i *think* its a .68 gauge string, i tune it to the factory standard Bb

Edit: The buzzing fixed itself when i reattached the string. Thanks for help, man
Unread 04-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #6
Banned

Eric Christian is a jewel in the rough
From mad & pissed and ready to dump 2K guitar in trashcan to happy and recording... all in less than 2 hours. Thank you helpful sevenstring.org users! lol...
Eric Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
Many Fingers

Valennic is a glorious beacon of lightValennic is a glorious beacon of lightValennic is a glorious beacon of light
TS, do some heavy interwebbing on how to set up those bridges. I guarantee there's hundreds of vids or at least documents on how to set them up. It's something everyone who owns a 2k+ guitar should do . Glad you've got it in working order

Affiliated with Ace Music of Newville, PA.

Valennic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
BTFStan

BTFStan is just really niceBTFStan is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
yeah not gonna lie dude, the 2228 bridge thing is weird, and probably something a lot of us aren't used to. glad you got it figured out.
BTFStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
Caynug

DeKay is just really niceDeKay is just really nice
The RGA8 does have the same bridge does it? When I looked at that thing from my band member I couldnt figure out how to set it up, which screw does which thing.. its magic for me haha. Glad it worked out for you!

https://soundcloud.com/caynug/caynug-inner-dissonance-02

*New Release* Experimental Baritone Groove Metal:
https://caynug.bandcamp.com/album/inner-dissonance
Distorted Slap Bass Metal:
http://caynug.bandcamp.com/album/chemical
16 Track Nu-Metal Album (Clean Vox, Groove, Progressive, Depth):
http://caynug.bandcamp.com/album/imperfection
My Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/caynug
My Soundcloud:

http://soundcloud.com/caynug
DeKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

ViolaceousVerdance will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The same thing happened to me, man! I was in a hurry recording stuff and my A string was just like "lol peace!" 45 minutes of fuxing with it later, I got it worked out, but my heart goes out to anyone that has to fight with the 2228 bridge. Glad you got it workin!
ViolaceousVerdance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #11
Banned

Diggy is a jewel in the rough
take your 2228 to a tech and have him to a show and tell with you.
Diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #12
SS.org Regular

Diggi will become famous soon enough
Also, check the fine tuning adjusters on the bridge. Sometimes when those screws are a little loose, they can rattle the whole ....ing thing. I've had to tighten them down (annoying) so that the slight amount of buzz that is produced by them being "loose", goes away.
Diggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

TheBloodstained is a jewel in the rough
the RG2228 bridge is basicly a fixed/blocked trem bridge (without the springs and block).
It's VERY easy to adjust, and you can find all the info you need about it from the Ibanez website.

Also, how's the neck relief? Neck bow can also cause string buzz and affect the action.

Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter C7 Jeff Loomis FR
Epiphone Gothic Explorer w. active blackouts
Ibanez SR886
Peavey C5 Tigerwood
TheBloodstained is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
ss.org Regular

Xiphos7 is a jewel in the rough
I have the same bridge (6 string version) you have to make sure the string is in really deep before you tighten the screw, otherwise it'll just slip out
sometimes you have to fiddle around with the block to make it allow the string all the way through, it is a little tricky :/
Xiphos7 is offline   Reply With Quote