homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By pink freud
  • 2 Post By ZEBOV
  • 3 Post By MaxOfMetal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

NDer is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tell me everythig you know about conklin

I see a lot of photos. Lots of photos. Frankly Conklin guitars are orgasmic to look at, but even looking on YouTube I can't find more than a few shitty videos on what they sound like.

Tell me what you know about Conklin tone, and where I might be able to find something to hear what they sound like
NDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Early Rusty Cooley was all Conklin.
thatguy5557123 likes this.
pink freud is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
AEADGBEA

Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Note: I haven't ever played one

But I don't see anything inherently special about Conklins, especially considering that they are a solid body guitar. They were ahead of the game 10 years ago, when you could not get a more than 6 string fanned fret guitar from anybody but Novax, but the internet has leveled the playing field.

You could get something equivalent at a much cheaper price from several other luthiers.

Pseudo-Jazz Sophisticate
-The 7 and ERG Chord Melody [Jazz] Thread-
"If Stravinsky's music is that of the Earth, then Meshuggah's music is that of the Machine"

Teaching
Guitar-Piano Technique/Theory/Jazz & Classical University Prep

Ossington & Bloor area in Toronto.
I now do Sykpe lessons - Inquire via PM!
Trespass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trespass View Post
Note: I haven't ever played one

But I don't see anything inherently special about Conklins, especially considering that they are a solid body guitar. They were ahead of the game 10 years ago, when you could not get a more than 6 string fanned fret guitar from anybody but Novax, but the internet has leveled the playing field.

You could get something equivalent at a much cheaper price from several other luthiers.
AFAIK, Conklins can be ordered as hollow/semihollow, for both double-cut and single-cut models.
pink freud is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

mountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud ofmountainjam has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Never played one, but you could get an equal guitar for much much less from another luthier. Conklins pricing is just rediculous
mountainjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Their custom shop stuff looks utterly insane. I'd love to get a guitar made by them someday if I ever get a shit load of cash. They do some more 'budget' models but even these are pretty expensive considering the basic specs, however sometimes they crop up for sale pretty cheap. They're not the same quality as the full custom shop ones, but I hear good things.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
ss.org Regular

NDer is on a distinguished road
Im sure most of you have seen tosin abasi sketch guitar is made by a fellow named rick toone. He also makes customs but I wonder what his pricings are.

The issue I have run into with the available set of 8strings from the more available manufacturers is that the Ibanez has a Floyd rose. Which I hate, the ltd has a straight headstock which makes it impossible to fit into either a bass or guitar hardshell case not to mention the pickup placement is absolutely asenine with absolutely no tonal control and tiny tuning pegs so you can't string anything larger than a .74, and the schecter weights 47383562272526.2 .... tons.

Conklins have a variety of bridge setups weights and pickup setups, tuning pegs and body styles that aren't available from Ibanez schec or ltd. So if you know of other places to look please please please let me know so I don't have to spend 2 months pay on a good 8 string
NDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Banned

ZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDer View Post
Conklins have a variety of bridge setups weights and pickup setups, tuning pegs and body styles that aren't available from Ibanez schec or ltd. So if you know of other places to look please please please let me know so I don't have to spend 2 months pay on a good 8 string
ZEBOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
Banned

Jessy can only hope to improve
Played their Groove Tools 7-string basses back when Guitar Center had them. I was impressed, except for the fact that they were completely unwieldy.
Jessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
ss.org Regular

stigmatodiaboli will become famous soon enough
I have a conklin groove tools 7 string, and I love it. Its the cheapest guitar they make, and it plays better than the ibanez upper end 7 strings. The tone is killer, although I do have a dimarzio dactivator in the bridge. It has a super thin neck, and a nuetric input which is awesome.
stigmatodiaboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 08:25 PM   #11
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
One of the last true custom shops. Nothing is off limits as long as you have the cash. Things like custom milled bridges, custom wound pickups, custom designed preamps from the ground up, integrated MIDI, etc. Stuff that most shops aren't even capable of.

They are one of the more expensive shops out there, but they have the ability and track record to back it up, unlike a lot of newer shops on the block.

A closer look at their prices, considering all the options that are included, they aren't too much more expensive than some other builders out there. The entry price is high, but options are pretty fairly priced. If you want a cheaper build they have the New Century Series (made in the same shop, with the same materials, by the same people as the full customs) which starts at just $2800 which includes custom Lundgren pickups, a multi-laminate Maple/Bubinga neck on 7s and 8s, as well as a Bubinga fretboard.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #12
ss.org-erererererer

capone1 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I had a 7 string bass neck from them back in the mid 90's. It was not cheap to have that made back then but the quality was top notch and it was pretty.

Like Trespass said though back then they were ahead of the curve but now their much more of a diamond in the diamonds.(there's lots of great shops)
capone1 is offline   Reply With Quote