homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

jjcor is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
RAN, BRJ, or Strictly 7?

I just canceled my carvin DC800 because I figured for the price that I was spending after all the specs I could just get a Ran crusher (which I really like cause of the body style), BJR (dont really know anything about them so far) or strictly 7 (another awesome guitar and less wait time).

Ran - Gonna run me about $3200, 12-14 month wait time

BJR - Emailed them 3 different times about 3 months ago about a quote and STILL have'nt heard back. So not sure if the communication process is gonna be the best.

Strictly 7 - Great looking guitar ( still like the Ran about 1.25 better ), awesome communication and about 6-7 months wait. And gonna run about $2500.

So I just wanna know peoples opinions about these guitars and any info about personal experience with these guys. Pro's and Con's.
jjcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #2
Murder Machine

Sepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcor View Post
I just canceled my carvin DC800 because I figured for the price that I was spending after all the specs I could just get a Ran crusher (which I really like cause of the body style), BJR (dont really know anything about them so far) or strictly 7 (another awesome guitar and less wait time).

Ran - Gonna run me about $3200, 12-14 month wait time

BJR - Emailed them 3 different times about 3 months ago about a quote and STILL have'nt heard back. So not sure if the communication process is gonna be the best.

Strictly 7 - Great looking guitar ( still like the Ran about 1.25 better ), awesome communication and about 6-7 months wait. And gonna run about $2500.

So I just wanna know peoples opinions about these guitars and any info about personal experience with these guys. Pro's and Con's.
also take into account shipping, taxes and duties coming from poland to the US (if your price didn't include shipping, but it def won't include taxes and duites on entry into the US)
Ben.Last likes this.

BEARDS: They Instantly Turn Any Man Into A Badass, It's Like Having Machine Guns On Your Face
Sepultorture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I would have stuck with the Carvin. None of those builders are going to be cheaper, or have better wait times, and it's arguable if the quality will be much better either.

RAN: The seem to have stepped up their game a little bit, but I still remember one of the Crushers of late arriving with mediocre fretwork. It didn't seem to be a big issue, but still something to consider. Also, don't forget to factor in shipping and import costs, be prepared to add another $200 to $400 to the price said and done, possibly more.

BRJ: Unless you buy into a half done build or an in-stock I'd pass. His crew is buried up to their elbows in orders still and the communication still seems to be really shaky. Go forward at your own risk.

Strictly 7: Once again, I've seen and heard some not so great reviews regarding these. They seem to be alright, but their routes still look like swimming pools.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

yuureikun is just really niceyuureikun is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gotta agree with Max. I was looking at S7 guitars for a while as well, but unfortunately not being able to try one out, and not really having any kind of trial period with the instrument after purchase makes it hard to go with for someone like me. Then Carvin came out with the DC800 (I already owned a DC727 since 2009).

I can't say enough good things about my DC800. The quality is amazing, the neck is insanely comfortable, and the pickups are surprisingly awesome. Carvin's quality is top notch and for the price, they are absolutely unbelievable.
yuureikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Max is wise
XEN, ralphy1976, yuureikun and 3 others like this.

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

guy in latvia is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
you may also want to look into mayones (its gonna be much more expensive, but the wait time is not so bad, i hear).
guy in latvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Would've stuck with the Carvin to be honest. Just based on everything I've heard regarding the other companies.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
Power Metal Cellist

TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Carvin is the only one of those that is a) local and b) has a big enough operation to be able to give you what you need and accept a return if it's unsatisfactory.

Also, WTF are you ordering if it's getting close to $3200?!?
TemjinStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinStrife View Post
Yeah, according to the online builder the DC800s top out at $2700 and that's with Koa, Flamed Maple neck, and Flamed Spalted Maple.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #10
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Yeah how someone specs out a carvin to cost that much I don't know

OP if you're ready to blow $3.2k look into Strandberg, Vik, KxK, etc...
Guitarwiz2k and 0 Xero 0 like this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
Banned

leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Mayones Regius
leonardo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #12
Cold As Ice

HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Fix your specs on the Carvin and run back to them as quickly as you can!
XEN and Galius like this.

Guitars: PRS (lots <3), Suhr, Parker, Thorn, Carvin
Rigs: Kemper + Atomic CLR, H&K GrandMeister 36 + Scumback M75's/Hellatone 60's

HighGain510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

Quote:
The RAN is 3200 NOT the Carvin. The Carvin is 2360 to be exact. The strictly is 100 more and I can do spec out little shit like toggle switch and only a volume no tone knob. I called carvin and they told me they we not able to do this because of the wiring of the pickups.

And the Ran I included the shipping and all that into the cost. But yea BRJ seems to be a little overwhelmed at the momnent. Strictly were really nice dudes but that sucks about the routing issue. Thanks for the input so far though.
JP Universe likes this.
Unread 02-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
EOT
I pull over 500 lbs.

EOT is a name known to allEOT is a name known to allEOT is a name known to allEOT is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I have a Strictly 7+1 cobra model. It's pretty nice but I wouldn't put it in the same league as a BRJ, which I have one of those as well. The BRJ is better quality but like has been said, he's swamped and it would probably be best to let him get caught up.
EOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
lover of fine woods

mphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to behold
I was doing the same fence riding... I wanted an 8. I spec'ed a Carvin & wasn't sure. I've played several but I wanted a bit "more".

I have a Rico quote & have inquired about some here on the forum, nothing I've read or seen really drew me in but I love the slant tops.

KxK from what I've seen, read & now owned, I want another, I know this but no more 8's in the foreseen future.

I took the plunge for a RAN Crusher FF8. It's solid oil finish, which I love, fanned frets 25.5 - 28" scale, I was itching to try fanned frets, custom mahog covered pickups. The build is great, Darius was super to deal with, communication & shipping. The guitar was shipped right away, packed so damn well.

I paid less than $2500 for the guitar & shipping, it came in a flight case. I had no import fees or duty fees, nothing. What I paid is what I paid. honestly it was a great experience & the guitar feels great.

I've looked into Strictly 7 but for the money of the custom neck thru's I'd rather get a VIK. He lets the wood shine thru...

Good luck.
Kykv, jjcor and Churchie777 like this.
mphsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
Shred till your dead

SpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I think a Rico would take two years or so right now unless it is a stock model.
toiletstand likes this.

SpaceDock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #17
lover of fine woods

mphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to behold
decisions?
Unread 02-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #18
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDock View Post
I think a Rico would take two years or so right now unless it is a stock model.
Depends on how many times Bernie has to rebuild it.....
HighGain510, Galius and elq like this.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 02-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #19
The GAS Man

Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 102 reviews
If you're in the US and want your guitar soon, go with Carvin. Those 800's have been turning out great, and I've never played a Carvin that I didn't think was awesome. You simply can't beat the price (assuming you're a US citizen)

[Necris] 6:23 pm: "you will deal with the pork you recieve"
Adam Of Angels is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #20
Shrederick

Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Or you can get a Jaden Rose for that price, really. In the 3K range, you are opening yourself to quite a few builders. In terms of low delivery times, Carvin and Jaden have quite fast delivery times unless you go with a body made of sacred wood that was blessed by Buddha himself. I have no idea as to how S7G delivery times are at the moment (this assuming delivery time is a factor).

Rest is really down to specs and to the perceived need for a given company's distinctive mark when it comes to guitar building.
UnderTheSign likes this.

Buy my album, will you? My store | CDBaby
FredBrum.com
Happily endorsed by Jaden Rose Guitars, Bare Knuckle Pickups, Gruv Gear, Sik Pik Picks, PHD Picks and Spectraflex cables
Fred the Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 11:09 AM   #21
Pardon my french

Andromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud ofAndromalia has much to be proud of
As a rule of thumb, except if you want a specific company, each side of the atlantic has enough builders to avoid transatlantic shipping fees. (Says me, who once bought an Ibanez from Canada and resold it to an Aussie)
Andromalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #22
Booyah!

Guitarholic is shredding to new heights.Guitarholic is shredding to new heights.Guitarholic is shredding to new heights.Guitarholic is shredding to new heights.Guitarholic is shredding to new heights.Guitarholic is shredding to new heights.Guitarholic is shredding to new heights.
As much as I love my RAN (still best 7 I have played so far) I wouldn't go with them unless this is just a gear dream item. It took them 18months to complete it and then it was stuck in customs for another 3 weeks. Dariusz is great to work with though and like I said the final result was just mind blowing (NGD: RAN Custom RGA 7string). Oh yeah ... customs fee+import tax, etc was quite high. I paid another $330 after I finally got the guitar. So keep that in mind!!!

I would go with something US based for sure or builders that have a quicker turnaround time like Jaden. Mayones too is awesome but their US distributor is not the greatest to work with. I only work directly with the guys in Poland. Plus ... what's the retail price on a Regius 6 in the US ... $4200 or something like that?!?!

Don't think you can go with that Carvin to be honest!
Guitarholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #23
lover of fine woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarholic View Post
As much as I love my RAN (still best 7 I have played so far) I wouldn't go with them unless this is just a gear dream item. It took them 18months to complete it and then it was stuck in customs for another 3 weeks. Dariusz is great to work with though and like I said the final result was just mind blowing (NGD: RAN Custom RGA 7string). Oh yeah ... customs fee+import tax, etc was quite high. I paid another $330 after I finally got the guitar. So keep that in mind!!!
MY guitar shipped from Poland to Memphis, TN in less than 10 days. Shipped on 2-1-12 I had it in my hands on 2-8-12. I paid no customs fees at all. What I paid for the guitar is what is cost total. Maybe it's my location & since you're in TX, maybe even quicker for you.

Now I can't speak for build times as I bought the in-stock, but the owner was super easy to deal with & more responsive than some US shops I've dealt with.
Kykv likes this.
Unread 02-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #24
SS.org Regular

Time really is'nt a issue for me. After seeing the other guitars that are in the $3000 and up, the carvin doesnt look as good. IMO that is! I guess to each there own. I completely understand people being happy with their carvins, I just want something a little different. Just wanted to hear peoples opinions on some of these builders and their experience with them. Anyone deal with Vik? By what Ive looked up on his site it seems he has great communication.
mphsc likes this.
Unread 02-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #25
lover of fine woods

VIK - probably my next build in the coming years, . From what I've seen he does exceptional work, but his quote, apples to apples, was the highest. Like almost $1,000 higher but I feel his builds are worth it. I love that Caprice S body & he seems to be flexible with allowing you to choose from many varieties of woods.

Honestly I could not be happier with my KxK & RAN though.