homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
Tranquil insurgent

celticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
NGD: Oakland Axe Factory 8-string (I once killed a boy with a 56K modem...)

It's here! (Check out the build thread for our previous episodes: OAF 8-string singlecut)

OK, enough of this tedious intro - on to the pics! Apologies for the quality: I have a lousy camera, the lighting was bad, I was distracted by eddies in the space-time continuum, etc.

You can't tell very well from this photo, but the neck is *very* flat.

Tone Bars!

A family snapshot. I think the Omen is feeling left out of the club....

So, a few specs:

Ash body
Maple neck and fretboard
27" scale
Lace Tone Bar pickups (the Tosin Abasi custom model)
Hipshot hardware
Recessed Dunlop strap locks
1 volume, 1 tone, 3-way switch

If you like Telecasters, you'd love this (I'm lookin' at you, Solodini!) - this is like the Telecaster that bulked up with pull-ups and squats to impress all those round-bottom bass guitar babes. The pickups have a definite single-coil P-90 character, and fabulous articulation. It's good enough that my lack of technique embarasses me, because I can't hide from it with these pickups. Back to the woodshed! The bridge pickup is especially lethal - you could seriously kill a man with barred 3rd-fret harmonics on that bridge pickup. Fortunately, the tone control is beautifully voiced, so you can just roll some highs off and avoid manslaughter charges. This thing *loves* extended jazz voicings: I played some root-7-3-#11 clusters on the low strings, and it just rang out wonderfully. Reggae skanks sound really tight as well, and you can drop down to the low strings and dub out a bassline the way no 6-string Tele ever could.

It's light - lighter than my 6-string alder/ash Yamaha tele, and way lighter than my Omen-8. And it's got fantastic acoustic resonance; I can't imagine what this would sound like if you chambered it and gave it an f-hole. By comparison, the Schecter just feels like a brick. I need to test further with distorted sounds, since my current setup is really geared for Fender blackface-type cleans, but this *feels* more like a clean-tone guitar so far. I bet it's going to eat up a cranked tube amp, though.

Tom's workmanship on this instrument is outstanding. This is perhaps the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen in person; it's definitely the best guitar I've ever owned. All the hardware is top-notch, the controls are excellent, and the whole package just feels great overall. And you can't beat the price - I'd have paid more for a production-line RG2228, and I wouldn't like it nearly so well. I'm definitely getting another one as soon as I can get the funds together.

Enough talk - back to playing!

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

Melody is the outpouring of the soul. Words interrupt the stream of the emotions.
For the songs of the souls, at the time they are swaying in the high regions to drink from the well of the Almighty,
consist of tones only, dismantled of words.
-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

7 strings, played slowly.
celticelk is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-19-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Cool. I'm a big fan of Tom's work. So those Lace pups are clear, but how much do they push the amp? Can you generate pinch harmonics and stuff on them? My 10 string has some Villex pups, which are clear, but definitely lower output than my other guitars, so I have to compensate with gain, boost, etc. I am considering Lace tonebars for another build, though.
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/

BlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Damn, that is beautiful. And I wish you didn't tell me it was cheaper than RG2228's.

"Metal is for Vikings; if you're not a Viking, get off the boat." - The Beard

"He doesn't even like Metallica, that's how metal he is." - My friend describing my musical tastes to her friends.

"Aw man you got toilet water on your dick? I'm mad for you." - axxessdenied
BlackMastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 12:06 AM   #4
No privacy hedge.

anne is just really niceanne is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Awesome shit, dude. Supergrats! Wanna hear some tunes!
anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 06:28 AM   #5
Vaya Con Cornholio

Pikka Bird is a jewel in the rough
"I remember everything!!"

...?

Aanyways, yeah, I agree with everyone else so far.
Pikka Bird is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 06:48 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

mikemueller2112 is just really nicemikemueller2112 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Looks great, let's hear some clips
mikemueller2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 07:08 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

geeman8 has a spectacular aura about
Congrats man! That thing is beautiful! Been interested in one of his multiscale 8's for a while now.....
geeman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #8
Shrederick

Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
That is one of the most tasteful singlecut takes I've seen in a while - lovely stuff!

Buy my album, will you? My store | CDBaby
FredBrum.com
Happily endorsed by Caparison Guitars, Bare Knuckle Pickups, Gruv Gear, Sik Pik Picks, PHD Picks and Spectraflex cables
Fred the Shred is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 07:39 AM   #9
Lefty Derp

AwakenNoMore is a jewel in the rough
Such a awesome guitar, very unique and beautiful! Congrats!

The Lace coil-less pickups are no joke. I have the Alumitones in one guitar, definitely a force to be reckoned with.
AwakenNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #10
SS Contributor

TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Im not a tele fan but i do like that a lot! the heal is lush too
TimSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #11
MORE RESTS!

Solodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of light
Let us hear it then, you big tease!

Check out my book: "Playing Guitar Musically: A Guide to Creativity on Guitar & Bass"
Buy the full book here. eBook - £5. Physical copies also available.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/4063031-post14.html
PM me if you want to discuss it or just fancy a chat.

I also give lessons over Skype, Bandhappy and within the Lothians.
Solodini is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 08:44 AM   #12
XEN
BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS

XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solodini View Post
Let us hear it then, you big tease!
Seconded!

Congrats man! That is one gorgeous guitar!

XEN STRINGED INSTRUMENTS
BEYOND 6UITAR AND B4SS

xen.guitars / xen.facebook / xen.email
XEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #13
Tranquil insurgent

celticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to all
About those clips: I don't have a good recording setup at the moment, but I could plug into my iPad and generate some stuff through Ampkit. I might even be able to dial in something djenty, as long as y'all understand that I AM NOT A METAL GUITARIST. Or, y'know, a very good guitarist in general, at least by the technical standards operative around here. I'll see what I can do over the next couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowway View Post
Cool. I'm a big fan of Tom's work. So those Lace pups are clear, but how much do they push the amp? Can you generate pinch harmonics and stuff on them? My 10 string has some Villex pups, which are clear, but definitely lower output than my other guitars, so I have to compensate with gain, boost, etc. I am considering Lace tonebars for another build, though.
I'm not really a pinch-harmonics player, but I'll give it a shot. The output level on these seem fine to me, but then I don't usually play high-output pickups. You might PM Tom for his take on it - I imagine he has a wider perspective on the issue than I do.

If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

Melody is the outpouring of the soul. Words interrupt the stream of the emotions.
For the songs of the souls, at the time they are swaying in the high regions to drink from the well of the Almighty,
-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

Unread 10-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #14
K K

isispelican is a jewel in the rough
looks amazing!
isispelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 10:06 AM   #15
Tranquil insurgent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikka Bird View Post
"I remember everything!!"

...?
"I remember every little thing as if it happened only yesterday...."

Glad someone else got that reference!

-The Gospel of Thomas

-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

Unread 10-20-2011, 10:21 AM   #16
MORE RESTS!

Solodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of light
Dick metal in the face. Geez some twang, ya Dobber! That's working class Scots for "would sir oblige me with the crystalline fineries one would expect of such an instrument as yours?"

Check out my book: "Playing Guitar Musically: A Guide to Creativity on Guitar & Bass"

Unread 10-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #17
Tranquil insurgent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solodini View Post
Dick metal in the face. Geez some twang, ya Dobber! That's working class Scots for "would sir oblige me with the crystalline fineries one would expect of such an instrument as yours?"
'Sabit Glaswegian for a posh bastard from Edinburgh, innit? =)

-The Gospel of Thomas

-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

Unread 10-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #18
MORE RESTS!

Ahm fae Leith, but. A wee donder fae the docks.

Unread 10-20-2011, 11:42 AM   #19
hates neck pickups.

awesomeaustin is a glorious beacon of lightawesomeaustin is a glorious beacon of lightawesomeaustin is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Great looking guitar. Love the natural finish, Congrats

awesomeaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #20
Tranquil insurgent

Ah, right. =) I did a year at Aberdeen as an undergrad. Lovely people, but the Doric takes a wee while to wrap yer head around....

-The Gospel of Thomas

-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

Unread 10-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #21
MORE RESTS!

I feel for you, man. I'll give Scaberdeen a miss, ta! Anyway, back on topic: clean samples nao!

Unread 10-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #22
Banned

daemon barbeque is a splendid one to beholddaemon barbeque is a splendid one to beholddaemon barbeque is a splendid one to beholddaemon barbeque is a splendid one to beholddaemon barbeque is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Congrats man, lovely axe. Ash is my gavorit looking wood, especially when colored Light brown/yellow/green. I wish you a lot of inspirartion and fun. I also apprecitae the work of the Luthier, and would be happy if you pass our feelings to him. I am sure it would give him even more inspiration
daemon barbeque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #23
Vaya Con Cornholio

Pikka Bird is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticelk View Post
"I remember every little thing as if it happened only yesterday...."

Glad someone else got that reference!
I'm into a little bit of everything from Enya to Viraemia, so surely my heart beats for Meat Loaf too. :
Pikka Bird is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 03:00 PM   #24
Classy
Super Moderator

Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
One thing I can say about OAF that I really like is that their guitars don't look like they're trying to do "flavor of the month" copies like a lot of smaller custom shops tend to do. Their stuff seems to really have their own identity, IMO.
XEN likes this.

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLC©
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #25
Tranquil insurgent

For those missing the joke:

Randy likes this.

-The Gospel of Thomas

-Rabbi Shneur Zalman