homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #26
Hi I'm Dan.

Dan_Vacant is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
the normal fretted one says it is 25.5 scale 0.0
Dan_Vacant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #27
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
I can't even get G to last at 25.5" - been there done that. I even break the octave4plus strings tuned to G on my strat Keep in mind I need to be able to bend up a minor third so I need a scale that can effectively handle a high C. That's why I was thinking more like 22-26" for a fan.
Haha fair enough! Fan as much as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Vacant View Post
the normal fretted one says it is 25.5 scale 0.0
Yeah I presume they were both designed for the same tuning (i.e. extra high string).
EtherealEntity is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #28
Hi I'm Dan.

Dan_Vacant is a jewel in the rough
[/QUOTE]Yeah I presume they were both designed for the same tuning (i.e. extra high string).[/QUOTE]
the link says high e to low F# for the normal fretted one though so i hope the 25.5 is a typo

Last edited by Dan_Vacant; 10-13-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: I broke the quotes
Dan_Vacant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 05:46 PM   #29
Classic Lojack

DoomJazz is a glorious beacon of lightDoomJazz is a glorious beacon of lightDoomJazz is a glorious beacon of light
This looks super yummy!
DoomJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #30
SS.org Regular

groovemasta is a jewel in the rough
kinda reminds me of guerilla guitars with the finish and blocky headstock
groovemasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #31
Banned

MTech is a glorious beacon of lightMTech is a glorious beacon of lightMTech is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Played them all at NAMM and they feel good, but Rusty's actual guitars have a different shoulder profile to the neck so they feel thinner which throws me off because now the stock one's don't feel as small.... They do play nice still but the big thing is they cost a fortune and nobody plays them on the road so the big question that even Dino asked was "will it hold up on the road" (talking about the thin neck warping/breaking etc and his guess was probably not.. He said he's even had some of his Ibanez's break that you can't have a case w/ any flex in it at all when you've got the thinner necks.
MTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #32
Banned

ThePinealGland is a jewel in the rough
The non-fanned fret is 26.5" scale. The specs on the website aren't correct.

I haven't seen anybody with one. I heard they were taking them on a per order basis... which is lame, because I just want to pick up one used for cheaper lol
ThePinealGland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 04:24 AM   #33
SS.org Regular

onefingersweep is a jewel in the rough
25-1/2" Scale
8-String: High E to Low F#

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePinealGland View Post
The non-fanned fret is 26.5" scale. The specs on the website aren't correct.
Haha I forgot about how good Dean's information are. So long ago since I cared about their guitars.

But still an inch longer won't cut it, I don't know why Agile is the only decent mass producer for 8-string guitars. Rest of the builders should take their head out of their asses
Setnakt likes this.
onefingersweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 04:32 AM   #34
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Wat.

The RG2228 is ....ing awesome.
Seventary and Bigfan like this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 05:02 AM   #35
sixstringer

Bigfan is a glorious beacon of lightBigfan is a glorious beacon of lightBigfan is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Wat.

The RG2228 is ....ing awesome.
This man.

He speaks the truth.
Bigfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 05:12 AM   #36
Norwegian metalhead

Seventary is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfan View Post
This man.

He speaks the truth.
+1

Check out my band: www.profaniametal.net
Seventary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #37
Righteous Dude

Chumple Spuzz is a jewel in the rough
Generally, I really dislike the aesthetics of Dean guitars...but I feel strangely attracted to that fanned fret version.
Chumple Spuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #38
Banned

ThePinealGland is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefingersweep View Post
25-1/2" Scale

Haha I forgot about how good Dean's information are. So long ago since I cared about their guitars.

But still an inch longer won't cut it, I don't know why Agile is the only decent mass producer for 8-string guitars. Rest of the builders should take their head out of their asses
I don't care about any of their guitars except for the RC sigs, but the 26.5" scale I'm sure was Rusty's choice. He probably doesn't like switching back and forth between 25.5" and 27"... so, he tried to make it a little more manageable at 26.5"

The RG2228 a 27" plays well and has enough tension. Many people get along with the Schecter 8 strings at only 26.5" just fine.

I'd try out the 26.5" RC8 for sure... probably plays like a dream, but they seem to be not putting them out in anywhere near the same numbers as the RC7s, which means I'll probably never see one pop up for sale used on ebay or here, which means I'll never have one.

I payed $2000 for a used RC7G, and it plays extremely well, but that's the most I'm willing to pay for a guitar... I wouldn't buy a USA RC7 new... definitely not going to buy a more expensive RC8 new...
ThePinealGland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #39
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
25-1/2" Scale

Way to spout pure bullshit. Where do you people get these ideas?
UnderTheSign likes this.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #40
SS.org Regular

onefingersweep is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
Way to spout pure bullshit. Where do you people get these ideas?
I get my ideas by trying different guitars with different scale lengths.

You don't need to be an asshole just because you don't agree.
EtherealEntity likes this.
onefingersweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 12:43 PM   #41
SS.org Regular

Mindcrime1204 is just really niceMindcrime1204 is just really nice
Quote:
You don't need to be an asshole just because you don't agree.
Says the guy who basically said all guitar manufacturers besides Agile have their heads up the hole they shit from

Didn't Agile release a 25.5 scale 8 string after their 28.6 and even after their 27?

People must want them.

And I deffinately would probably love the fanned RC8 most likely with ANY scale length. But it's as much as a custom to my specs
UnderTheSign likes this.

WARNING: This guitar does not float! DO NOT attempt to surf on it!
Mindcrime1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #42
SS.org Regular

UnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of light
Eh, it's been stated on here a dozen of times, 25.5" can work just fine for F#. Ask Explorer.

SPEEDGURU - fuzz/doom/death
http://www.facebook.com/speedgurudoom
UnderTheSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #43
Doc McStuffins

USMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to all
But does it... nevermind.

I'd consider the RC8, but does the Dean RC7 actually kick ass? No one sells them or has one around here and I almost bought one online from DCGL, but everyone seems to hate on Dean on here, so that scared me away. I ended up with a Loomis 7 because I picked it up cheap... but I've saved up for a high end 7 or 8 and there have been so many choices I'm going through paralysis by analysis... I thought I had it down to detuning an EBMM7 (love maple necks), RGD2127, or one of the fanned fret Agile 7/8s... or going with the RG2228. I had contacted Oni but he was so backordered (and now I'm having buyers remorse about spending that much on one guitar).... hmmm. F'ing GAS.
USMarine75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #44
Banned

MTech is a glorious beacon of lightMTech is a glorious beacon of lightMTech is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMarine75 View Post
But does it... nevermind.

I'd consider the RC8, but does the Dean RC7 actually kick ass? No one sells them or has one around here and I almost bought one online from DCGL, but everyone seems to hate on Dean on here, so that scared me away. I ended up with a Loomis 7 because I picked it up cheap... but I've saved up for a high end 7 or 8 and there have been so many choices I'm going through paralysis by analysis... I thought I had it down to detuning an EBMM7 (love maple necks), RGD2127, or one of the fanned fret Agile 7/8s... or going with the RG2228. I had contacted Oni but he was so backordered (and now I'm having buyers remorse about spending that much on one guitar).... hmmm. F'ing GAS.
I played both of Chris Storeys extensively and they're really nice..especially the earlier one that was all hand done as the paint looks way better. I just think the pricing is insane & even for artists IMO....Though it is the only Dean I really like I just think there's better options out there. You're throwing down $2700 for a bolt on guitar with a licensed trem and a graphic insert.... If I'm spending that much money I'd have Rico Jr (now that he's back on game and taking 3-4months to complete a guitar) or KxK make you one for the same price maybe even less and it'd be neck thru with the same neck profile.
Unread 10-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #45
Five Align

Lagtastic is just really niceLagtastic is just really nice
Quote:
I'd consider the RC8, but does the Dean RC7 actually kick ass?

I LOVE my RC7G. It feels much more like a high end Ibanez Prestige than a Dean. The neck is a very flat U profile and stays at 19mm from the nut all the way to the 19th fret. Almost all other non-custom necks get thicker as you get closer to the joint. The beveled horns are fantastic, if it had 30 frets, you could play on them.

I went to my local SamAsh a few months back and asked the guitar area manager to get some info for me, here's what he came back with:

- The fanned fret 25.5 scale is no longer limited to 25 worldwide, but they are only going to be built on a per-order basis. Do not expect to play one in a store, ever.

- There is a 6-9 month build time from when you order it. They said plan on 9 months due to the fact that they rarely make 8 string guitars.

- The amount of deposit you have to put down on the guitar to order it depends on your local dealer, my dealer wants 50%.

- The only color it is offered in is the Red Xenocide design, but I'm sure you can customize this since this is a custom shop guitar built on a per-order basis.

- The price I was quoted was 2,999.99 USD, and that included a free setup to any specifications once it arrived.
USMarine75 likes this.

Accept the consequence of risk
Lagtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #46
Doc McStuffins

USMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to all
^ so you think the Guerilla, KxK, S7G, or Dean RC7/fanned 8 would be worth the extra $$$ over something like the Agile 82527 at $900?

Reason I'm asking is that I think my EVH Wolfgang holds its own against many high end guitars and it only cost me $1100... and I have several JEMs, but I thought the RG3550MZ played every bit as well and is only $1500, Universe vs RGD2127, etc...

I absolutely get why Oni's are $$$, and I played a Vigier and could see and feel the quality... but since I've heard so many bad things about Dean I get nervous plunking down $2-3k.

However... Lagtastic, your RC7 is f'ing beautiful!
USMarine75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #47
SS.org Regular

Deathbringer769 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTech View Post
I played both of Chris Storeys extensively and they're really nice..especially the earlier one that was all hand done as the paint looks way better. I just think the pricing is insane & even for artists IMO....Though it is the only Dean I really like I just think there's better options out there. You're throwing down $2700 for a bolt on guitar with a licensed trem and a graphic insert.... If I'm spending that much money I'd have Rico Jr (now that he's back on game and taking 3-4months to complete a guitar) or KxK make you one for the same price maybe even less and it'd be neck thru with the same neck profile.
Some people prefer a good bolt on to neck through, different feel and sound.

The trems are OFRs now. Never had licensed trems on the $2700 version.

Graphic = love it or hate it

USA RC7G
Engl Invader 150
Sell me your Vader 4x12!
Deathbringer769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #48
Banned

Quote:
^ so you think the Guerilla, KxK, S7G, or Dean RC7/fanned 8 would be worth the extra $$$ over something like the Agile 82527 at $900?
Night and day... You have a point with people bashing dean but the Rusty IMO is a "Dean that's not a Dean" so to speak It's really nice, but still overpriced in many, including my own, opinion.

Also should be added Rico Jr. does fanned fret guitars now as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbringer769 View Post
Some people prefer a good bolt on to neck through, different feel and sound.

The trems are OFRs now. Never had licensed trems on the $2700 version.

Graphic = love it or hate it
Neck Type/graphic is opinion... I was talking about the difference because Chris's first one is painted not how they changed them to a decal or whatever you want to call it. Almost positive that it originally came with the licensed one as that's what Rusty wanted since the Takehuchi bridges are "better" to some.
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #49
SS.org Regular

Deathbringer769 will become famous soon enough
They originally came with $250 quality Takeguchi's low profile trems that shouldn't be confused with typical licensed garbage. I prefer them to OFRs, to bad they stopped production. I have a first run RC7G and it definitely looks painted, considering they told me it took so long to release because they couldn't get the paintjob right for awhile. Would also explain why they moved to using decals.

USA RC7G
Engl Invader 150
Sell me your Vader 4x12!
Deathbringer769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #50
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTech View Post
Also should be added Rico Jr. does fanned fret guitars now as well.
Really? I didn't realize that. Cool.
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote