homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree358Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #701
Giant Fridge Magnet

Ishan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
the 808 is EMG-40 sized.

Current rig : Agile Intrepid Pro with Lace Aluma Deathbar pickup -> Eleven Rack + TC G-Major -> ESI Near 5 Experience
My string tension calculator STC - supports most D'addarrio and Circle K Strings
Ishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #702
SS Contributor

Adam is shredding to new heights.Adam is shredding to new heights.Adam is shredding to new heights.Adam is shredding to new heights.Adam is shredding to new heights.Adam is shredding to new heights.Adam is shredding to new heights.Adam is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtzentmaier View Post
Not sure the 40's are wide enough ?

Kurt
They are thats what I'm currently using for my 8 string, and to add the 808's are encased in 40's. The 45's would just give too much output to the highest and lowest strings.

User of Garry Goodmans fine A440 strings for 4 years now.
http://Octave4plus.com
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 11:21 AM   #703
Medicine Chief/RHLC

Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtzentmaier View Post
Not sure the 40's are wide enough ?

Kurt
They're 4" wide, does that help?(at least i think they are, the schematic on EMGs website is fuzzy) I don't know how wide an 808 is.

AHHH MOTHERLAND!

All hail soviet Arktanistan-Groffistan!
Groff is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 11:22 AM   #704
SS Contributor

Adam is shredding to new heights.Adam is shredding to new heights.Adam is shredding to new heights.Adam is shredding to new heights.Adam is shredding to new heights.Adam is shredding to new heights.Adam is shredding to new heights.Adam is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMissing View Post
They're 4" wide, does that help? I don't know how wide an 808 is. There is a EMG HZ 45 (4.5") as well.
Read above post's

Unread 04-02-2008, 11:42 AM   #705
Djavli te ponesli

El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Holy crap that mock up looks awesome and if I ever do consider getting an 8 to try, it will be that.

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
El Caco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 11:46 AM   #706
Rusty spoon...

plyta is a glorious beacon of lightplyta is a glorious beacon of lightplyta is a glorious beacon of light

battery box mounting:
1) no body routing
2) you can ditch it if you hate actives (like I do)

ALCOBRUTAL
plyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #707
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
Kurt should have a flight case ready when it came out too, cause I don't trust any shipping company with a cardboard box only you know Maybe one of his bass case could work.
i would love a case for it too... always makes a guitar seem more important, doesent it? :P

and they do have baritone cases, which i think should work for this as well, assuming it works for both 6 and 7 string baritones, in both 27" and 28" scales...

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 12:21 PM   #708
SS.org Regular

B36arin is a jewel in the rough
Is the mahogany body final? Mahogany has a reputation of becoming muddy with really low tunings, especially when it's not top quality mahogany(no offence, but you can't expect the wood to be top drawer on a 500$ 8-string). I've never had my Schecter lower than A, and I haven't experienced any trouble with mud. But going down to F#(I'd probably go down to F to be able to play some Meshuggah), is there a risk of mahogany getting muddier than other alternative woods? I'm asking because I have no experience with that low tunings, but I've only heard that mahogany can get muddy when you go that low.
B36arin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 12:28 PM   #709
SS Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by B36arin View Post
Is the mahogany body final? Mahogany has a reputation of becoming muddy with really low tunings, especially when it's not top quality mahogany(no offence, but you can't expect the wood to be top drawer on a 500$ 8-string). I've never had my Schecter lower than A, and I haven't experienced any trouble with mud. But going down to F#(I'd probably go down to F to be able to play some Meshuggah), is there a risk of mahogany getting muddier than other alternative woods? I'm asking because I have no experience with that low tunings, but I've only heard that mahogany can get muddy when you go that low.
It's going to be a maple/walnut neck through, so the majority of the tone will come from that and not the mahogany wings. They will just merely colour the tone, which I hope will give some much needed warmth due to the bright tone of the maple fretboard the EMG and maple neck.

Unread 04-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #710
SS.org Regular

Ah ok, that makes sense.
Unread 04-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #711
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
hahaha! i love that one tag on this thread! :p

and i really cant wait to see this happen, hopefully itll be soon!

What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
Unread 04-02-2008, 01:45 PM   #712
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
The more i think about it, the more i think it might make sense to go with an EMG-40HZ (or another passive pickup with identical dimensions).

It'll shave a few more dollars off the materials cost, and will give everyone a bit more choice. Some people might want an 808, some might want to put in passive pickups from Lundgren or Swineshead (among others) and some may want to install a 40TW and additional EMG active circuits. Routing for a battery box (or cutting one into the control cavity cover) isn't too difficult.

What do you guys think?
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 01:52 PM   #713
Giant Fridge Magnet

Ishan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud of
I'd say keep the double battery box and 808. Due to the price the factory is going to pay for those 808 (far lower than retail) it won't matter much in the final price I guess. We'll have to ask Kurt about this, but if it cuts another 50$ I'm in! (but keep the damn double battery box plz )

Current rig : Agile Intrepid Pro with Lace Aluma Deathbar pickup -> Eleven Rack + TC G-Major -> ESI Near 5 Experience
My string tension calculator STC - supports most D'addarrio and Circle K Strings
Unread 04-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #714
Set up us the bomb

fitting it with lundgrens or something like that wouldnt look too good though, due to the size difference of the cavity... so some sort of solution would have to be made there, if you wanted it to be easily moddable.

id be fine with that emg-40 thingy though, as long as it sounds nice (which ive heard it does).

id say make the 808 first priority, and the emg-40 lower priority. if there is no way to make the 808 happen at the price you want it, then go for the 40.

maybe include pickup rings for 8-string sized passive humbuckers, and just let users drill the tiny holes for the screws and all that to put it on?

could you produce some sort of in-house stock pickups for it maybe?

edit: and for the battery box, you could have a battery cavity that is covered by the control cavity cover, so you dont see it unless you remove that cover. that way you wouldnt have to put a separate cover on it. just have it a little to the side from the actual control cavity, and make the control cavity cover go over that as well...

there are lots of options, but id buy it anyways, as long as the price is fair

-Anthony
Unread 04-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #715
Giant Fridge Magnet

There's many no name EMG-40 sized pickups out there but no one have tried them on an 8 string guitar

Unread 04-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #716
SS Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
There's many no name EMG-40 sized pickups out there but no one have tried them on an 8 string guitar

For instance: Mighty Mite 5 string bas pu's $50 for a pair.
NEW MIGHTY MITE 5 STRING PASSIVE SOAPBAR BASS PICKUPS - eBay (item 380013329649 end time Apr-08-08 18:15:00 PDT)

Mighty Mite active pair for $55
Bass Pickups - 5 String Active Soapbar Pickups NEW! - eBay (item 300188274271 end time Apr-05-08 10:00:03 PDT)

Seymour duncan passive 5 string soupbar(single) for $58
S DUNCAN PASSIVE SOAPBAR 5 STRING BASS PICKUP -BRIDGE - eBay (item 250191747570 end time Apr-22-08 21:11:30 PDT)

Unread 04-02-2008, 02:14 PM   #717
Rusty spoon...

plyta is a glorious beacon of lightplyta is a glorious beacon of lightplyta is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
The more i think about it, the more i think it might make sense to go with an EMG-40HZ (or another passive pickup with identical dimensions).

It'll shave a few more dollars off the materials cost, and will give everyone a bit more choice. Some people might want an 808, some might want to put in passive pickups from Lundgren or Swineshead (among others) and some may want to install a 40TW and additional EMG active circuits. Routing for a battery box (or cutting one into the control cavity cover) isn't too difficult.

What do you guys think?
The cheaper, the better (passive FTW)

ALCOBRUTAL
plyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #718
Set up us the bomb

id still go with the emg-40 though, as its tested and tried as an 8-string pickup.

also, more people need to see that interest-thread, and more people need to go "OMG I WANT ONE!!!"...

and Darren, could you update the mockup to say 28", since thats what it was apparently decided on? (or 28.625", id want that even more :P)

-Anthony
Unread 04-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #719
ss.org Regular

Celiak is a glorious beacon of lightCeliak is a glorious beacon of lightCeliak is a glorious beacon of light
I agree with the 28 5/8" scale, that would be perfect.
Celiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 03:13 PM   #720
Set up us the bomb

am i the only one that keeps refreshing in the hope of more people signing up for the "interested" thread? :P

i want this... and all my fellow GASers know how this feels! :P

i was going to get an agile 7 string with a maple board, neck through, 28" scale, trans-black flamed maple top... now ill have to wait and see what happens with this, because id rather get this! :P

-Anthony
Unread 04-02-2008, 03:46 PM   #721
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_Kitten View Post
am i the only one that keeps refreshing in the hope of more people signing up for the "interested" thread? :P

i was going to get an agile 7 string with a maple board, neck through, 28" scale, trans-black flamed maple top... now ill have to wait and see what happens with this, because id rather get this! :P

Get both
Unread 04-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #722
ss.org Regular

Celiak is a glorious beacon of lightCeliak is a glorious beacon of lightCeliak is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_Kitten View Post

Your not the only one :P. I would much rather have this than the RG 2228.
Celiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #723
hates womanizers.

ShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himself
we decided on a scale length, yeah?
28" or something along that line?

I'm typing this on my knees with my butt in the air. -Drew
ShawnFjellstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 05:24 PM   #724
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
The specs on the mockup have now been updated to reflect the latest in our ongoing discussions.

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2008, 05:25 PM   #725
hates womanizers.

ShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himselfShawnFjellstad is deemed true by Crom himself
okay, thanks a lot.

I'm typing this on my knees with my butt in the air. -Drew
ShawnFjellstad is offline   Reply With Quote