homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree371Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #5401
SS.org Regular

that short guy is just really nicethat short guy is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
at some point someone is going to have to point out that having more strings doesn't make you a better player, it just makes you look like a bigger tool for having that many more strings you never use. 90% of the people that will get the 10 string version will probably only use 4-6 of the strings
that short guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #5402
I LIKE JUICE!!!

TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
All right! I had wanted to get a 9-string for the sake of being ridiculous, but I told myself I'd hold out for the 10-string. I didn't think it would actually happen this soon, though.

Also, from the standpoint of practicality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticelk View Post
It'd be interesting also to see some tappers experimenting with options for two-handed tunings like those seen on the Stick. Rondo might be able to start luring some more economy-minded players away from Warr and other high-end builders with these.

I keep thinking about asking Kurt if he'd be interested in doing something like a Chapman Stick, but that would just be one more thing I'd want to buy.

"Tom, you're like 1 part a serious dork, and 2 parts the most awesome ....ing guy ever." -
TomAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #5403
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by that short guy View Post
at some point someone is going to have to point out that having more strings doesn't make you a better player, it just makes you look like a bigger tool for having that many more strings you never use. 90% of the people that will get the 10 string version will probably only use 4-6 of the strings
I guess I even think of that point because I assume that people are like me, and use the full range of their instrument.

Which leads to the question... how did that thought occur to *you*?

*laugh*

Regarding CelticElk's and TomAwesome's point...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAwesome View Post
I LIKE JUICE!!!
...er... I mean the one about tapping... most of the current tappers have wider string spacing than the spacing on guitar. I suspect that established tappers might have a hard time making the change.

However, I don't see why one couldn't make a two-region tapper out of the 10-string, or even an 8-string. I just prefer to have my strings laid out guitaristically, so that I can not just tap, but also play straightforwardly in a normal guitar/bass/hybrid idiom.
Bigfan likes this.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #5404
Dragonblade629

Hemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of light
I would probably move the pin so I could keep it in a hybrid of normal position and stick position, set the action ridiculously low, get it with a trem, and relase the taps. It's essentially a budget Warr guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAwesome View Post
I keep thinking about asking Kurt if he'd be interested in doing something like a Chapman Stick, but that would just be one more thing I'd want to buy.
Well, if you were to chop off the wings you would pretty much have a stick. I would love to see a budget Grand Stick, though.
Hemi-Powered Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #5405
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Whoa, they also now have a 24-25.5" scale option. Very interesting.
AxeHappy likes this.
troyguitar is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #5406
Dragonblade629

Hemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post

Why does Rondo have to tempt me with things I want! An eight tuned B-A or a nine tune F# to A with a fan like that would be amazing!
AxeHappy likes this.
Hemi-Powered Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #5407
Antithetic machinery

F4R537KTP09 is a jewel in the rough
I just wonder wether the sound quality goes within the looks of it or not. I mean, imagine you get the famous 10 string guitar and you want, say, to have three more bass strings and one more high tuned string. The range is quite "extended" as it is. But still, are the bass sounds and the highest sounds, sounding out properly, or is it just an "approximation" with a good quality just on the sound of the "regular" strings and tuning?
All these options, for this price, are however absolutely awesome, and I wouldn't ask if not tempted even just a little bit...
Still, like most people already said, I guess I will stop to nine...
F4R537KTP09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #5408
ss.org Regular

Strawberry Man is on a distinguished road
I'm not digging how wide the routes for this are all at all.
Strawberry Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #5409
SS.org Regular

in-pursuit is just really nicein-pursuit is just really nice
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
this is so incredibly tempting, I'm almost certain I'm going to get in on this. only thing I'm concerned about is whether an extra 3 low strings will sound good with 27"ish scale.
in-pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #5410
Schmuck

rythmic_pulses is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowway View Post
Ah, crap, you're right. I was on my iphone and got all excited when I saw the bridge studs. Dang! I reeeeeeally want a double locking Floyd type 8. Without having to machine one myself. That being said I'm sure we'll see one from Kurt at some point. Lord knows no other company cares to make one.
Stability would definitely be an issue with an 8 string floyd, it would take some time to plan out, how much tension is too much on one side of the bridge and what tensions are suitable and so forth.

I can't imagine an FR 8 string bridge because from what I heard about the early Ibanez RG2228 prototypes with floating tremolo's is that they just couldn't get the intonation right on them due to the bridge's experimental flaws and such, they just took that design and turned it into a double locking hardtail.

I would like to see those Ibanez prototypes, see what was wrong with the bridge and hopefully work out a sort of norm for those early floyd-like bridges for the RG2228's.

It would take a damn long time though...

The finished Ibanez RG2228's do have the same bridge as both Fredrik Thordendal's and Marten Hagstrom's LACS RG8's so they must have been in the experimental stage for a long time too.

Problem Trolls?

Sex bro. Sex. -ntDars

Stop hatin'. Love and Toleration. - Biison

the higgs boson is the energy that creates mass to create
protons and tacos basically. - bob123

SOL NIGER WITHIN!!! - Iamasingularity

ODDWORLD FOR LIFE!
rythmic_pulses is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #5411
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
^ yeah the intonation thing would have to be worked out with long saddle ranges for the lowest string. But the tension doesn't make a difference because most people are going to use strings with relatively equal tension, or only off by a few lbs. Unless you out a ridiculously high tension low string on it's going to be pretty equal. And 6 string Floyds do fine with skinny top heavy bottom EBs.
Either way, though, there have been a few homemade varieties on here that have apparently done well. So a guy can dream!
Hollowway is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #5412
All Fourths Advocate

Waelstrum is just really niceWaelstrum is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
Yeah, wish they had that last time around. Oh well.
Waelstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 10:09 PM   #5413
SS.org Regular

squid-boy is just really nicesquid-boy is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealEntity View Post
It's cool, I strung my 7 with a high A for a while and it was real nice.
It is real nice.
squid-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 10:20 PM   #5414
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonblade629 View Post
Why does Rondo have to tempt me with things I want! An eight tuned B-A or a nine tune F# to A with a fan like that would be amazing!
I'm tempted to get that 24" - 25.5" fan for my 10 string. It will be the brootalz. *laugh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4R537KTP09 View Post
I just wonder wether the sound quality goes within the looks of it or not. I mean, imagine you get the famous 10 string guitar and you want, say, to have three more bass strings and one more high tuned string. The range is quite "extended" as it is. But still, are the bass sounds and the highest sounds, sounding out properly, or is it just an "approximation" with a good quality just on the sound of the "regular" strings and tuning?
There are a lot of people who have been happy with the sound of their ERGs. I own four 8-strings, and the sound quality is great.

You might not be aware of this, but the earlier posts here on SS.org had people unable to find pickups, and therefore resorting to larger/wider bass pickups. The EMG active line, for example, has a wide frequency range, which is why it was usable for both bass and guitar.

So, if those pickups were good guitar while being designed for bass, then I suspect there won't be a problem heading in the other direction.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 10:34 PM   #5415
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by in-pursuit View Post
this is so incredibly tempting, I'm almost certain I'm going to get in on this. only thing I'm concerned about is whether an extra 3 low strings will sound good with 27"ish scale.
There are a number of people doing F# at 25.5", so the 27 would seem fine, but the C#1 on my 30" 10 string is just barely cutting it. I think it sounds to bassy (imagine that! ) so I'm actually wanting to do a longer scale build to allow me to use a thinner string to get a more guitarlike tone. But getting up over 8 strings makes it really tough to not fan the frets. And I think a 10 string is just about impossible to not fan if you're going to tune in 4ths. The A4 is just too scary at that length.
Unread 10-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #5416
Schmuck

Quote:
^ yeah the intonation thing would have to be worked out with long saddle ranges for the lowest string. But the tension doesn't make a difference because most people are going to use strings with relatively equal tension, or only off by a few lbs. Unless you out a ridiculously high tension low string on it's going to be pretty equal. And 6 string Floyds do fine with skinny top heavy bottom EBs.
Either way, though, there have been a few homemade varieties on here that have apparently done well. So a guy can dream!
It would help to have the option though, things are really picky for 8 strings at the moment because the haven't really existed for that long, people are still finding ways and means of creating a tremolo that works with the 8 string and unfortunately Kahler are the only truly stable tremolo's so far, but if I see one with an 8 string Bigsby that is the day when...

Problem Trolls?

Sex bro. Sex. -ntDars

ODDWORLD FOR LIFE!
Unread 10-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #5417
ss.org Regular

AntiTankDog is just really niceAntiTankDog is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^
yeah, an A4 at 30 inches will break if you look at it funny.

Check out mah sweet band...
http://www.theshlongsfromhell
AntiTankDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 11:44 PM   #5418
Bonitis.

Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.Necris is shredding to new heights.
Sorry Kurt, I'm not spending that much money on an Agile, 10 string or not.

Extreme Syncopation =/= Poly-rhythmic

Necris is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #5419
ss.org Regular

thatguy5557123 will become famous soon enough
Not for me, I don't need more then 8 I don't think, but it's super cool it'll be an option....NGDS?
thatguy5557123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 12:42 AM   #5420
Extended Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necris View Post
Sorry Kurt, I'm not spending that much money on an Agile, 10 string or not.
Yeah, cuz there are so many different options for 10 strings at $950.
Unread 10-09-2011, 12:51 AM   #5421
SS.org Regular

bce5150 will become famous soon enough
I'm glad they're doing it and that the instrument is evolving... but I still feel way less comfortable on my 7 than my 6... I'll be a new born babe on that monstrosity
bce5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 01:17 AM   #5422
SS.org Regular

in-pursuit is just really nicein-pursuit is just really nice
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
There are a number of people doing F# at 25.5", so the 27 would seem fine, but the C#1 on my 30" 10 string is just barely cutting it. I think it sounds to bassy (imagine that! ) so I'm actually wanting to do a longer scale build to allow me to use a thinner string to get a more guitarlike tone. But getting up over 8 strings makes it really tough to not fan the frets. And I think a 10 string is just about impossible to not fan if you're going to tune in 4ths. The A4 is just too scary at that length.
Cheers for the info I was gonna ask how the OAF 10's performed with the extra low strings, I think I'll just stick to 8/9 for now. now I just have to think of a way to justify this to the wife
in-pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 01:39 AM   #5423
Schmuck

I played on one of those 9's Agile make that my friend had imported, I have to admit though I do have small fingers so I could only just reach the 9th string at a stretch, it was really fun to mess around on, but 10 is too much for me, what would the basic tuning for that even be because I only know tunings up to 8 strings?

Problem Trolls?

Sex bro. Sex. -ntDars

ODDWORLD FOR LIFE!
Unread 10-09-2011, 01:45 AM   #5424
XEN
BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS

XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Kurt did say it would happen if there were enough interest. He's a man of his word!

XEN STRINGED INSTRUMENTS
BEYOND 6UITAR AND B4SS

xen.guitars / xen.facebook / xen.email
XEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 01:52 AM   #5425
Irrelevant Name

misingonestring is just really nicemisingonestring is just really nice
Prepare to start chugging a low Ab.

My name is irrelevant.
misingonestring is offline   Reply With Quote