homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree421Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #4976
He seldomly knows...

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I don't know about last time, but the website says that the shop might close the week of December 12th this time around.

Regarding the clueless-sounding "Dude wat", why not go to the links provided if you want to know?

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #4977
Hwat you call me?

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm soo on this!

You gotta pay the troll toll, to get into the boy's hole.

My bandcamp for my music project, Guamskyy. Enjoy!
Guamskyy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #4978
LowCrushingMetal

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by eegor View Post
It's advertised as custom guitars. You get the point.
I understand .... but agile has true custom shop that opens from time to time.... Tis why a mod changed the subject.

wow i sound smartass... not my intentions

Check out my band SPINE EXTRACTION
MIXED METAL!
Clear understandable Vocals
www.reverbnation.com/spineextraction

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Spine-...52390211438377
Add us!
Evil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #4979
He seldomly knows...

I put in a semi-custom order earlier today.

I love the look and most of the feel of my Intrepid Pro, but as I've been using my FM408 more and more, I decided to get another Intrepid Pro with ebony fretboard and dual pickups, but with EMG808s instead of the Cepheus pickups and at a 25.5" scale length instead of 28.625".

I'm hoping, of course, that Q-Tuner starts making pickups again, in which case I can go that route as well. I think the red-wound transparents would look killer in a natural Intrepid Pro....

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Old 12-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #4980
Hwat you call me?

I just placed an order for a lefty intrepid bloodburst. maple fretboard, and 27" scale.
And +1 to Explorer, I hope they start making them again. But on a side note, the wait is going to kill me!

You gotta pay the troll toll, to get into the boy's hole.

My bandcamp for my music project, Guamskyy. Enjoy!
Guamskyy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:03 AM   #4981
Extended Ranger

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by eegor View Post

Yep, this .... is back up and running, still basically a semi-custom deal, though. And we can get nine-strings with Kahlers in with a Septor/Interceptor body shape.
I saw that and I was wondering if that was a mistake. The only option with the 9 strings is the Interceptors. So there are 9 string Kahlers? Do we know that for sure? I'm thinking I might need to email Kurt to confirm, because I've never heard of that... And the Septors can't even be configured for 9 strings, so it must be the case. But I'm wondering how big of a string can fit in those Kahler claws.

EDIT: I just emailed this to Kurt:

Kurt, I see on the semi-customs page that the Interceptors are available with 9 strings now. So, just to confirm, you have 9 string Kahlers now? And will the lowest string claw be different to accomodate a string larger than the .072 size (for those of us who want to put a low C# on there)?
Thx,
Andy
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #4982
Extended Ranger

Just got this back from Kurt...

yes 9 string Kahlers are available (as are 10 strings) - lowest 2 or 3 string claws accomidate up to .090

Kurt
Old 12-14-2010, 06:59 AM   #4983
Beartrautcci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauty_MR View Post
i have a question....

after playing my fellow band members Agile 8 -string i have fallen in love....so im going to buy one,,,probably in Jan....

BUT, do they really ony supply in the US?
the delivery charge was like $115 dollars to my house in the uk....i thought that this was a bit steep???

any thoughts or ways around this or am i just going to have to man up and pay?

Cheers
oh my god!!!!

i just had a look at rondo music and the tribal purple one with the maple neck isnt there.............!!!!! WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS!?.....is there anywhere else that sells them?????

HELP!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.midnight-realm.com
www.myspace.com/midnightrealmuk
Trauty_MR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #4984
ss.org Regular

I wish Agile will have a warranty for west-europe one day..
arctopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #4985
He seldomly knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauty_MR View Post
oh my god!!!! i just had a look at rondo music and the tribal purple one with the maple neck isnt there.............!!!!! WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS!?.....is there anywhere else that sells them?????

HELP!!!
Are you serious?

No, Rondo is the one source for Agile instruments. You might want to read this thread, if you don't know it works.

Is the problem that you didn't move on something, and eventually someone else did? If so, be assured that normally things do show up again.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #4986
Overlord

Got an Agile Interceptor Pro-B 828 w/ Blackouts a while ago, best item I have ever purchased, hands down. I bow to you, RondoMusic.
Allhailpantera123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #4987
Extended Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allhailpantera123 View Post
Got an Agile Interceptor Pro-B 828 w/ Blackouts a while ago, best item I have ever purchased, hands down. I bow to you, RondoMusic.
Pics or it didn't happen. Which means if you don't give us a NGD, one day you'll wake up and find that your Schrodinger's Guitar has disappeared. So gig to it, fella!!
Old 12-16-2010, 09:02 PM   #4988
He seldomly knows...

Incidentally, Holloway... were you going to take the plunge on a 9?

Old 12-16-2010, 10:00 PM   #4989
Extended Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
Incidentally, Holloway... were you going to take the plunge on a 9?
Aahhhh, I don't know. If I do, I'll either tune it C#-E or F#-A, but I'm not sure which I'll want, so I was going to wait until I get my Oakland Axe Factory 10 string and figure it out from there. And then there's the little fact that I already have 4 customs I've ordered over the past year or so - none of which the wife knows about - and it appears they're all going to arrive within a few weeks of each other. So much for sneaking them in and pretending I've always owned them. So I might need to take a bit of a break! I think I may have caught a bad case of Gasitis of Technomancer.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:32 AM   #4990
ss.org Regular

I bought an Intrepid Pro 828 Natural w/ Ebony fretboard at the beginning of this year. I love it! I'm working on gettin a BKP put in. I like the EMG 808, but A BKP Cold Sweat would be much better! I checked out Rondo when I found out about Agile's 9 string and I saw that the same guitar that I purchased was $295 more than what I paid for it. That made me smile
Lostmapants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #4991
Brutality Is Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostmapants View Post
I bought an Intrepid Pro 828 Natural w/ Ebony fretboard at the beginning of this year. I love it! I'm working on gettin a BKP put in. I like the EMG 808, but A BKP Cold Sweat would be much better! I checked out Rondo when I found out about Agile's 9 string and I saw that the same guitar that I purchased was $295 more than what I paid for it. That made me smile
Yea for real man, anybody considering buying an agile I say get 'em soon; I've noticed that the models they've had for a while are only going up in price. I would think that's because of the increasing demand for them.
OminousMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #4992
The Minotaur

I'm thinking...

...of throwing down $600 for this guitar.
Agile Hornet 825 EB Black w/Case at RondoMusic.com
I just want to know any of your thoughts on the scale and the feel of it for those of you that have similar Agile guitars.

Also, hopefully this is the right section of the forum and that I'm not making an ass of myself.
Meatbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:07 AM   #4993
SS.org Regular

25.5 is generally regarded as a shoddy scale if you're aiming for F# tuning, but if you're tuning higher I'd say go for it

If you like the short scale feel and can get away with regular/light gauge strings on Gibson scale guitars, you may like it though. Some people love shorter scales, and that is about the shortest that you can get for 8 string tunings, but certainly not for everyone.

Maybe it's a promotional gag, you stay the weekend, get a jar of blood
shogunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:21 AM   #4994
Extended Ranger

Meh, that's kind of a weird guitar in that it has a 25.5" length, which would lend itself to B-A4, but the upper fret access isn't that good. I ususally associate A4 tuning with someone who likes to play solos/shred, so I'd think you'd want the upper fret access. On the other hand, the low F# chugging (where you wouldn't need the upper frets) will be better suited at a >27" length.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:33 AM   #4995
The Minotaur

Ah, I see. Yeah, I'm not a very good shredder and I already play in a dropped tuning so that A4 won't do me much good either.

So as bitchin' as the Agile V-wing is, it wouldn't be the optimum choice for F# because of it's smaller scale? Back to the drawing board for 8-string V's then.

Thanks for the replies though.
Meatbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:06 PM   #4996
He seldomly knows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunate View Post
25.5 is generally regarded as a shoddy scale if you're aiming for F# tuning, but if you're tuning higher I'd say go for it

If you like the short scale feel and can get away with regular/light gauge strings on Gibson scale guitars, you may like it though. Some people love shorter scales, and that is about the shortest that you can get for 8 string tunings, but certainly not for everyone.
And, as always, I have to point out that 25.5" works for me for E1 tuning. My bottom string is a .090.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #4997
Dragonblade629

Quote:
And, as always, I have to point out that 25.5" works for me for E1 tuning. My bottom string is a .090.
Why do I feel that that would be awesome for slapping? What other strings do you use?
Hemi-Powered Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:36 AM   #4998
He seldomly knows...

I use the Ernie Ball 2837 wound bass set (.090 .074 .054 .042 .030 .020, guitar-size ball ends), with a plain .016 and .012 at the top, tuned E1 A1 D2 G2 C3 F3 A3 D4. Normal electric bass on the bottom, whole step detuned guitar on the top, with full access to funk chords.

I do have to point out that I use the full range, not just for funk, and that the tone at the bottom is consistent with the rest of the guitar. I know that a lot of people talk about how thick strings sound like a bass, but I play enough instruments with a full range of notes (normally at least five octaves), and I know what ringing strings sound like. I'm not sure if the expectations are that a thick string will have the same inharmonics as a thin string; my expectations are more that a string will have inharmonics consistent with its pitch, beyond the sound of the plectrum.

And, of course, I'm a huge fan of active pickups at this point. My incoming 25.5" Agile Intrepid Pro will have dual EMG 808 pickups, and I'll probably upgrade the electronics to the EMG TBC system, to have the ability to blend the pickups just as I like, as well as controlling the treble and bass levels against the mids.

I am doing a lot of stuff currently where I'm covering orchestral instrument tones, high flutes, low cellos, gamelan orchestras, and so forth. Shredding, not so much. *laugh*

Old 12-23-2010, 02:45 AM   #4999
Extended Ranger

Quote:
not sure if the expectations are that a thick string will have the same inharmonics as a thin string; my expectations are more that a string will have inharmonics consistent with its pitch, beyond the sound of the plectrum.
So do you have any guitars scaled longer than 25.5? If so, what do you think of the sound at those scales compared to yours? I've never used a 25.5 tuned that low, so I don't know how it would sound. But technically speaking it would have way higher inharmonicity. But you aren't finding that, huh?
Old 12-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #5000
He seldomly knows...

I have a 28.625" Agile Intrepid Pro. However, it has the Cepheus passives, while the 408s have EMG 808s in them.

I'm not having any problems with inharmonicities or even good tone. I did run across that problem when I had one of my carbon fiber acoustics set up for baritone, but my Ibanez acoustic 7-string has a low B at 25.5" (I think), and it sounds fine; I suspect that the jumbo body makes the difference in how much of the lows can come through acoustically.

I'm a little sick right now, but had more to write about how I used to have the Intrepid Pro and one of the 408s tuned down much lower, since I was using full fifths. I'll try to remember that I owe a little more information on this....