homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree369Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-20-2010, 11:40 PM   #4976
The Minotaur

Meatbucket is just really niceMeatbucket is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm thinking...

...of throwing down $600 for this guitar.
Agile Hornet 825 EB Black w/Case at RondoMusic.com
I just want to know any of your thoughts on the scale and the feel of it for those of you that have similar Agile guitars.

Also, hopefully this is the right section of the forum and that I'm not making an ass of myself.
Meatbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-21-2010, 02:07 AM   #4977
SS.org Regular

shogunate is a jewel in the rough
25.5 is generally regarded as a shoddy scale if you're aiming for F# tuning, but if you're tuning higher I'd say go for it

If you like the short scale feel and can get away with regular/light gauge strings on Gibson scale guitars, you may like it though. Some people love shorter scales, and that is about the shortest that you can get for 8 string tunings, but certainly not for everyone.

Maybe it's a promotional gag, you stay the weekend, get a jar of blood
shogunate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 02:21 AM   #4978
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Meh, that's kind of a weird guitar in that it has a 25.5" length, which would lend itself to B-A4, but the upper fret access isn't that good. I ususally associate A4 tuning with someone who likes to play solos/shred, so I'd think you'd want the upper fret access. On the other hand, the low F# chugging (where you wouldn't need the upper frets) will be better suited at a >27" length.
Hollowway is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 02:33 AM   #4979
The Minotaur

Meatbucket is just really niceMeatbucket is just really nice
Ah, I see. Yeah, I'm not a very good shredder and I already play in a dropped tuning so that A4 won't do me much good either.

So as bitchin' as the Agile V-wing is, it wouldn't be the optimum choice for F# because of it's smaller scale? Back to the drawing board for 8-string V's then.

Thanks for the replies though.
Meatbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #4980
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunate View Post
25.5 is generally regarded as a shoddy scale if you're aiming for F# tuning, but if you're tuning higher I'd say go for it

If you like the short scale feel and can get away with regular/light gauge strings on Gibson scale guitars, you may like it though. Some people love shorter scales, and that is about the shortest that you can get for 8 string tunings, but certainly not for everyone.
And, as always, I have to point out that 25.5" works for me for E1 tuning. My bottom string is a .090.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 10:21 PM   #4981
Dragonblade629

Hemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
And, as always, I have to point out that 25.5" works for me for E1 tuning. My bottom string is a .090.
Why do I feel that that would be awesome for slapping? What other strings do you use?
Hemi-Powered Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 01:36 AM   #4982
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.
I use the Ernie Ball 2837 wound bass set (.090 .074 .054 .042 .030 .020, guitar-size ball ends), with a plain .016 and .012 at the top, tuned E1 A1 D2 G2 C3 F3 A3 D4. Normal electric bass on the bottom, whole step detuned guitar on the top, with full access to funk chords.

I do have to point out that I use the full range, not just for funk, and that the tone at the bottom is consistent with the rest of the guitar. I know that a lot of people talk about how thick strings sound like a bass, but I play enough instruments with a full range of notes (normally at least five octaves), and I know what ringing strings sound like. I'm not sure if the expectations are that a thick string will have the same inharmonics as a thin string; my expectations are more that a string will have inharmonics consistent with its pitch, beyond the sound of the plectrum.

And, of course, I'm a huge fan of active pickups at this point. My incoming 25.5" Agile Intrepid Pro will have dual EMG 808 pickups, and I'll probably upgrade the electronics to the EMG TBC system, to have the ability to blend the pickups just as I like, as well as controlling the treble and bass levels against the mids.

I am doing a lot of stuff currently where I'm covering orchestral instrument tones, high flutes, low cellos, gamelan orchestras, and so forth. Shredding, not so much. *laugh*

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Unread 12-23-2010, 03:45 AM   #4983
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
not sure if the expectations are that a thick string will have the same inharmonics as a thin string; my expectations are more that a string will have inharmonics consistent with its pitch, beyond the sound of the plectrum.
So do you have any guitars scaled longer than 25.5? If so, what do you think of the sound at those scales compared to yours? I've never used a 25.5 tuned that low, so I don't know how it would sound. But technically speaking it would have way higher inharmonicity. But you aren't finding that, huh?
Unread 12-23-2010, 08:20 PM   #4984
He seldomly knows...

I have a 28.625" Agile Intrepid Pro. However, it has the Cepheus passives, while the 408s have EMG 808s in them.

I'm not having any problems with inharmonicities or even good tone. I did run across that problem when I had one of my carbon fiber acoustics set up for baritone, but my Ibanez acoustic 7-string has a low B at 25.5" (I think), and it sounds fine; I suspect that the jumbo body makes the difference in how much of the lows can come through acoustically.

I'm a little sick right now, but had more to write about how I used to have the Intrepid Pro and one of the 408s tuned down much lower, since I was using full fifths. I'll try to remember that I owe a little more information on this....

Unread 12-28-2010, 08:28 AM   #4985
HACKA LÖKEN!

TheSleeper is on a distinguished road
I emailed Kurt asking about any new neck-thru, string-thru 8's planned for the next couple of months, as well as any possible multi-scale ones, and his answer was:

Yes and yes, however we are not pre-releasing any details at this time
I will post on the site when I have news

Seems promising, and I'll have a reason not to buy expensive stuff 'til I know what he's cooking.

Liquid is in your throat, for Opeth's delight!
TheSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 03:37 PM   #4986
ss.org Regular

sp33d is on a distinguished road
Take a look at rondomusic now, they have 9 strings available.
sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 01:05 AM   #4987
ss.org Regular

ALAN_C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunate View Post

it's means if you want more low tuning , must be choose 27" + ?
ALAN_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #4988
Silence the discord

ShreddingDragon is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALAN_C View Post
it's means if you want more low tuning , must be choose 27" + ?
Same question... Hollowway, you mentioned earlier that going from 27" to 30" is a big jump, and that 28.625" should be enough tension. Will that be enough if I were to play in say, F# standard, F standard and possibly dropping the lowest string to E sometimes? In what scenario would I need the 30" scale?

I have the ultimatest GAS ever right now for the Agile semi-custom order because of the inlays and 30", but I seriously want the Intrepid Bloodburst look instead of the Septor body - and the regular Intrepid Dual 828 RN BloodBurst is in 28.625" scale only... GAS dilemma.

Treacherous, this deceit
to make no choice matter
To have and yet lose yourself
until finally all reasons why
are forgotten.
ShreddingDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #4989
Extended Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreddingDragon View Post
Same question... Hollowway, you mentioned earlier that going from 27" to 30" is a big jump, and that 28.625" should be enough tension. Will that be enough if I were to play in say, F# standard, F standard and possibly dropping the lowest string to E sometimes? In what scenario would I need the 30" scale?

I have the ultimatest GAS ever right now for the Agile semi-custom order because of the inlays and 30", but I seriously want the Intrepid Bloodburst look instead of the Septor body - and the regular Intrepid Dual 828 RN BloodBurst is in 28.625" scale only... GAS dilemma.
Well, you can tune to pretty much anything at any length by compensating with string tension. So you could tune to E on a 27" or a 28.625", but you'd just need to compensate for the decreased string tension by increasing the gauge. The primary problem with increasing the gauge (i.e. the reason that everyone doesn't use thicker strings and stick with a 25.5" length) is that the thicker the string and shorter the length the more the string behaves like a rod (rather than a string), which means that the harmonic overtones are going to clash. Bostjan on here did a thread a couple of years ago (you can search on google with "inharmonicity site:sevenstring.org" to find it (don't use the quotes). In it he showed that according to his estimations a 28.625" scale at F# would give an acceptable level of inharmonic content.
On the flip side of the issue, if you increase the scale length you end up with either higher tension or thinner strings on the treble side, which sounds worse than the shorter scale length. So really it ends up being a compromise if you plan on playing all over the neck.
If you're going to stick with F# and occasionally go down to E I'd say 28.625" would work really well. And FWIW, in comparing my Intrepid and Interceptor (same body as Septor), I prefer the ergonomics of the Intrepid. When sitting I can easily play all over the neck and it has better high fret access.
Unread 02-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #4990
Silence the discord

ShreddingDragon is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowway View Post
Well, you can tune to pretty much anything at any length by compensating with string tension. So you could tune to E on a 27" or a 28.625", but you'd just need to compensate for the decreased string tension by increasing the gauge. The primary problem with increasing the gauge (i.e. the reason that everyone doesn't use thicker strings and stick with a 25.5" length) is that the thicker the string and shorter the length the more the string behaves like a rod (rather than a string), which means that the harmonic overtones are going to clash. Bostjan on here did a thread a couple of years ago (you can search on google with "inharmonicity site:sevenstring.org" to find it (don't use the quotes). In it he showed that according to his estimations a 28.625" scale at F# would give an acceptable level of inharmonic content.
On the flip side of the issue, if you increase the scale length you end up with either higher tension or thinner strings on the treble side, which sounds worse than the shorter scale length. So really it ends up being a compromise if you plan on playing all over the neck.
If you're going to stick with F# and occasionally go down to E I'd say 28.625" would work really well. And FWIW, in comparing my Intrepid and Interceptor (same body as Septor), I prefer the ergonomics of the Intrepid. When sitting I can easily play all over the neck and it has better high fret access.
Thank you very much for a profound answer.

Treacherous, this deceit
to make no choice matter
To have and yet lose yourself
until finally all reasons why
are forgotten.
ShreddingDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #4991
Hwat you call me?

guambomb832 is just really niceguambomb832 is just really nice
....ING SHIT!Rondo Music Special Order / Custom Order Guitars

I haven't even got my intrepid custom and I want to get a 27" scale 9 string tuned low E to high A(or high G for a scale the summit minor 3rd kinda thing). That or a 30" 8 string!

You gotta pay the troll toll, to get into the boy's hole.

My bandcamp for my music project, Guamskyy. Enjoy!
guambomb832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 04:18 AM   #4992
Formerly Lern2Swim

Ben.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Jebus, almost a year lead time for this go-round?
Ben.Last is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #4993
SS.org Regular

Ginsu is on a distinguished road
Agile quality?

Where do Agile 8-strings, specifically Agile semi-customs, fall on the quality scale compared to say, the different lines of Ibanez guitars? (i.e. RG, RG Prestige, J-Custom.....)
Ginsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #4994
ss.org Regular

remington is on a distinguished road
I have a Agile Interceptor 828 and I think it's pretty nice. I can't say anything about the ibanez guitars since I've only really playd a rg 7 string and a quite old rg 6 string for longer than 10 seconds. Nice solid parts, and everything on mine seems to be really good except for my bridge issues. I got the kahler with it and i can't get it to not sound like a banjo. If you do get the kahler make sure to ask to route the cavity for the bridge deeper than normal since it doesn't really work the other way around.
remington is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #4995
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Agile Semi customs are solid playable-out-of-the-box instruments.

Comparing them to a high end ibby is no contest though.

Although I've only owned 4 Agiles and 10 ibbies.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic17517_3.gif
Customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #4996
SS.org Regular

Steve-Om is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by remington View Post
I have a Agile Interceptor 828 and I think it's pretty nice. I can't say anything about the ibanez guitars since I've only really playd a rg 7 string and a quite old rg 6 string for longer than 10 seconds. Nice solid parts, and everything on mine seems to be really good except for my bridge issues. I got the kahler with it and i can't get it to not sound like a banjo. If you do get the kahler make sure to ask to route the cavity for the bridge deeper than normal since it doesn't really work the other way around.
have you checked the infamous issue with the saddle screws been taller??

to the OP, I can vouch for the quality of Agiles, I got an AL2000 about a year ago (LP style) and I cannot think of another LP style guitar that packs such a high level of craftmanship at such affordable price, right now im planning on getting an 8 stringer, so you get the idea
Steve-Om is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #4997
SS.org Regular

Steve-Om is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Customisbetter View Post
Agile Semi customs are solid playable-out-of-the-box instruments.

Comparing them to a high end ibby is no contest though.
agreed, of course theyre not $5000+ instruments, but high quality though
Steve-Om is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #4998
The Optimist Prime.

GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
You get what you pay for. I haven't played an Agile, but I have yet to hear something bad about them.
GuitaristOfHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #4999
ss.org Regular

CryptopsyAndWhatnot will become famous soon enough
How well do they pack the instruments for shipping? jw
CryptopsyAndWhatnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #5000
The Optimist Prime.

GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryptopsyAndWhatnot View Post
How well do they pack the instruments for shipping? jw
judge from this I guess.
GuitaristOfHell is offline   Reply With Quote