homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree371Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-10-2009, 10:44 PM   #3851
I LIKE JUICE!!!

TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
^ 3" seems to be a fairly common fan for instruments like this. I've seen some 3" fans that look awkward, and I've seen some that look rather comfortable. I think somewhere in the range of 3" would probably be all right as long as the perpendicular fret is chosen wisely. I've never played a multiscale instrument, though, so that might not be worth very much.

"Tom, you're like 1 part a serious dork, and 2 parts the most awesome ....ing guy ever." -
TomAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #3852
Asian Women Fanatic

vortex_infinium is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Has anyone seen this yet?

Agile Intrepid Pro 828 Nat MN Trem at HomeOld
vortex_infinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 10:54 PM   #3853
Djavli te ponesli

El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtzentmaier View Post
Is there still demand for a multi-scale neck version of the intrepid or interceptor 8 string models ? And if so what would the scale preference be ? 25.5 to 28.625 ?

kurt
Kurt I would jump on a multi-scale 7 but have no desire to buy a 8 string. If you made a 7 string 25"-27" seems to be the most popular scale here according to the other thread.

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
El Caco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #3854
I LIKE JUICE!!!

TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAwesome View Post
Has anyone successfully found direct replacement locking tuners? I know Darren said earlier that he was pretty sure there aren't any existing direct replacements for the Mini Rotomatics, but I noticed that the diagram didn't look the same as the tuner, so I got out the calipers. I believe these are actually Midsize Rotomatics. It looks like the Mini Locking Rotomatics might be a direct replacement, but it's hard to be sure. I don't know why none of these show a measurement from the center of the post hole to the center of the screw hole.

Edit: I decided to actually read the tuner description.

"Internal-cam locking string posts and 18:1 fine tuning are built into Rotomatic™ midsize cast housings"

That looks like good news to me! I assume that would also apply to the Roto-Grip Minis? Too bad they don't sell singles. I don't feel like buying four extra tuners.
I'm not trying to detract from the multiscale discussion, but I figured I'd post a little update about this for anyone who still wanted to get locking tuners for their Intrepids. I finally decided to try something, and I got some Grover Roto-Grip Minis. They came in today, and it looks like I was almost right. For the most part, they fit perfectly, but the holes on the tabs are a bit off. The three tiny guide pins match up perfectly, though, even if the pins on the Roto-Grips are slightly bigger. They seem to be holding the tuner in place, though. I have one tuner switched out, and I'm just going to leave it like this for now until I decide what to do. I'm just kind of confused as to why Grover would make locking tuners that are almost a direct replacement match for the non-locking versions but are off by just enough to not quite be a direct replacement.

"Tom, you're like 1 part a serious dork, and 2 parts the most awesome ....ing guy ever." -
Unread 08-11-2009, 12:11 AM   #3855
SS.org Regular

pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question

Hi, first post on these forums.

I really want to purchase one of these (In fact I DID purchase one until my order was canceled due to "stock error"), but now I'm hesitant to put money down before I find if an idea I had would be possible.

Would Kurt be able to make a piezo model? Have a piezo/magnetic p/u blend knob and two output-jacks (one mixed, or two individual signal paths). If that's possible, I'd much rather have that than the purely magnetic model.

Production piezo 7 string guitar are expensive enough, so an affordable piezo 8 string would be very attractive.
pink freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #3856
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink freud View Post

I really want to purchase one of these (In fact I DID purchase one until my order was canceled due to "stock error"), but now I'm hesitant to put money down before I find if an idea I had would be possible.

Would Kurt be able to make a piezo model? Have a piezo/magnetic p/u blend knob and two output-jacks (one mixed, or two individual signal paths). If that's possible, I'd much rather have that than the purely magnetic model.

Production piezo 7 string guitar are expensive enough, so an affordable piezo 8 string would be very attractive.
What did you have that got canceled?
Oh, and welcome!
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 12:39 AM   #3857
I LIKE JUICE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink freud View Post

The Intrepids were built with plenty of extra space in the control cavity for mods, and adding a piezo system is something that could be done aftermarket. You may be able to get one with piezos if you get a custom. That would be something to ask Kurt about.

Unread 08-11-2009, 12:43 AM   #3858
ss.org Regular

amassivetree is a jewel in the rough
I'd be interested in a multiscale intrepid. 28.5-25 sounds fine, although to get maximum benefit from the lowness, 30 inches to whatever sounds reasonable is also good. Does this mean individual string bridges? To echo the other multiscale thread, a fanned Kahler would be awesome.
amassivetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 12:51 AM   #3859
Djavli te ponesli

El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.
Oh shit affordable production fanned fret 7 string with piezo.....

what other guitar companies?

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Unread 08-11-2009, 01:02 AM   #3860
Djavli te ponesli

Quote:
Originally Posted by amassivetree View Post
I'd be interested in a multiscale intrepid. 28.5-25 sounds fine, although to get maximum benefit from the lowness, 30 inches to whatever sounds reasonable is also good. Does this mean individual string bridges? To echo the other multiscale thread, a fanned Kahler would be awesome.
why?

The multiscale Kahler has already been reviewed as not that great, it is expensive and spoils what would be an otherwise nice guitar for a lot of people. Fixed bridge intrepids have had no problem selling so the fixed bridge hasn't been a deterrent. I'm not against trems (I have far more trem equiped guitars then fixed bridge) but I am against putting an ugly inferior trem that would almost double the price into an otherwise awesome guitar.

Unread 08-11-2009, 01:32 AM   #3861
SS.org Regular

pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowway View Post
What did you have that got canceled?
Oh, and welcome!
Pro Dual 28 Natural Finish (right)
pink freud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 02:17 AM   #3862
Formerly Lern2Swim

Ben.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
No interest in a fanned fret guitar but, I have to say, even putting that aside, I'd prefer seeing Kurt get the kinks out of his production system before he adds any more models. Seriously, I'm a die hard Agile proponent but it just doesn't look good when things don't come as they should. Getting standards up to a point where there's not intonation issues, routing mishaps, poorly fitting neck pockets, neck through guitars coming as bolt ons, and customs coming with wrong specs should not be so costly that it would ruin the incredible place that Rondo has carved out in the market. These mistakes should not be made, even on first production runs. It would, however, get rid of any doubts that they're incredible guitars(and not just "for the money") and fit in with the concern for customer satisfaction that Rondo shows in so many other ways.
Ben.Last is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 02:42 AM   #3863
SS.org Regular

GorillaSalsa is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtzentmaier View Post
Is there still demand for a multi-scale neck version of the intrepid or interceptor 8 string models ? And if so what would the scale preference be ? 25.5 to 28.625 ?

kurt
Hell yes there's demand for it! 27 to 25.5 please!
GorillaSalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 02:43 AM   #3864
ss.org Regular

amassivetree is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7eve View Post
why?

The multiscale Kahler has already been reviewed as not that great, it is expensive and spoils what would be an otherwise nice guitar for a lot of people. Fixed bridge intrepids have had no problem selling so the fixed bridge hasn't been a deterrent. I'm not against trems (I have far more trem equiped guitars then fixed bridge) but I am against putting an ugly inferior trem that would almost double the price into an otherwise awesome guitar.
Oh, I wasn't aware of this. Was this reviewed on here? I"ll have to search for it. I'm liking my normalscale Kahler, is the multiscale just hideously expensive, or is there some other issue. I take it back then, the low-cost nature of the Intrepid was the whole reason I decided to try an eight-string.
amassivetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 02:55 AM   #3865
MFB
ExBendable

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Kurt, I say this as a customer who loves his Intrepid Dual from the bottom of his heart, if you make a fanned 8 I will love you and my bank account will hate you nay despise you even...but I'll still probably order one

(´・ω・`)

In space, no one can hear you bree. - Metal Ken
MFB is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 03:06 AM   #3866
Djavli te ponesli

Quote:
Originally Posted by amassivetree View Post
Oh, I wasn't aware of this. Was this reviewed on here? I"ll have to search for it. I'm liking my normalscale Kahler, is the multiscale just hideously expensive, or is there some other issue. I take it back then, the low-cost nature of the Intrepid was the whole reason I decided to try an eight-string.
Mike Sherman used one in one of his builds and spoke about it on MG, what he said was quoted in the Roter thread. The trem alone is $400+ so with the nut and additional labour it would add at least $500 to the build price unless Kurt managed to get a bulk discount.

Unread 08-11-2009, 03:15 AM   #3867
I LIKE JUICE!!!

I'm with Steve on this one. I've got nothing against trems, and I think it would be a neat addition, but given that the point of this model is presumably to offer an affordable entry into new territory, fitting a fanned-fret 8-string with a Kahler just seems like overkill. Typing it and reading it back to myself right now, it sounds ridiculous (not that I'm saying it sounds bad). It makes more sense to do a fixed-bridge version first, and then if that turns out to be a huge success, a Kahler version can then be considered, like the recent run of Interceptor 8s.

Unread 08-11-2009, 03:19 AM   #3868
Sir Paul of the Mosh

drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
oh .... yes! would love a 28.625-25.5 multiscale 8!
or even a 27-25.5 multiscale 7
drmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #3869
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 37 reviews

Ack is that a vintage style trem on that? It really looks like an 8 point vintage stye trem.

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #3870
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by technomancer View Post

Ack is that a vintage style trem on that? It really looks like an 8 point vintage stye trem.
Yeah, I looked that up. It's a Hipshot floating trem. I tried to see a little info about them, to see how well they worked, because it appears to be a much simpler solution than a Kahler, but I'm suspicious of how well it works. You just don't hear of those trems much (or ever).
Unread 08-11-2009, 10:48 AM   #3871
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowway View Post
Yeah, I looked that up. It's a Hipshot floating trem. I tried to see a little info about them, to see how well they worked, because it appears to be a much simpler solution than a Kahler, but I'm suspicious of how well it works. You just don't hear of those trems much (or ever).
The hipshot trem is a 2 point ball bearing trem that is supposed to be fantastic... the trem in the picture ain't it as there are no posts.

This is REALLY tiny picture of the 6 string, but you can at least see where the posts would sit

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #3872
Extended Ranger

Quote:
The hipshot trem is a 2 point ball bearing trem that is supposed to be fantastic... the trem in the picture ain't it as there are no posts.

This is REALLY tiny picture of the 6 string, but you can at least see where the posts would sit

https://store.hipshotproducts.com/se...oducts/354.jpg
Oh, yeah, good point! It says on the description "Hipshot bridge" but it also says "Solid Brass Block Tremolo" so I think they forgot to take the "Hipshot bridge" out from the regular Intrepids. But you're right - no posts, so it must be vintage. Weird choice. Must have been a custom?
Unread 08-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #3873
Probrem?

ivancic1al is a jewel in the rough
maybe with like a roller nut or locking tuners, it could work decently, for mild trem effects? i dunno looks questionable though for sure
ivancic1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 11:44 AM   #3874
Cancer:The Crucifuct

Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.Cancer is pretty damn metal.
Fanned frets definitely for the 8 string. IMO it's kinda pointless for the 7 string. and this scale length 25.5" - 28.625" would be fine.

Count me in with the above specs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAwesome View Post
I'm with Steve on this one. I've got nothing against trems, and I think it would be a neat addition, but given that the point of this model is presumably to offer an affordable entry into new territory, fitting a fanned-fret 8-string with a Kahler just seems like overkill. Typing it and reading it back to myself right now, it sounds ridiculous (not that I'm saying it sounds bad). It makes more sense to do a fixed-bridge version first, and then if that turns out to be a huge success, a Kahler version can then be considered, like the recent run of Interceptor 8s.

Last edited by Cancer; 08-11-2009 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Cancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 04:12 PM   #3875
SS.org Regular

ra1der2 is a glorious beacon of lightra1der2 is a glorious beacon of lightra1der2 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:

Yea, that looks just like an 8 string version of the old trems that you could bend down but not really pull back on. There appears to be a cavity on the back though which should mean there are springs attached to it huh? Also notice no fine turners or locks at the nut either...hrmm
ra1der2 is offline   Reply With Quote