homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree358Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #3176
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Nice! What strings are you using and how is it tuned? I listened to a little, but can't listen too much (at work right now).
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #3177
SS.org Regular

mgcasella is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by darren View Post
Does anybody know if they enlarged or repositioned the holes on the base plate of the second-run Standards? One issue i have with mine is that the bottom string actually gets "pinched" between the hole in the saddle and the hole in the bridge. I can't move my bottom-string saddle any further back, even if i wanted to.
Could this be fixed on the third-run Intrepids by simply having the bridge placed back a little farther? That way the increased distance from the nut to the bridge would compensate for the F# saddle thus enabling it to not have to be brought back as far.

Or, would that be too simple? I'm not much when it comes to fretboard physics.
mgcasella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 05:17 PM   #3178
SS.org Regular

jamesmafyew is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have a second-run and it still has this problem, although it may not be as severe as the first-runs. I would say it's "right on the edge", detuned one semitone. So that may represent an improvement.
jamesmafyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #3179
ss.org Regular

demolisher is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgcasella View Post
Could this be fixed on the second-run Intrepids by simply having the bridge placed back a little farther? That way the increased distance from the nut to the bridge would compensate for the F# saddle thus enabling it to not have to be brought back as far.

Or, would that be too simple? I'm not much when it comes to fretboard physics.
The further back the bridge the further you have to move the saddles forward for the higher strings so it can get tough, but with longer intonation screws it should be better.
demolisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #3180
Shred like a mofo

lefty robb is just really nicelefty robb is just really nice
Could always put a 6 or 7 string bridge on it and put a individual saddle/s (like those used for Fanned fret guitars) for the 8th string (or 7 and 8) that way you could mount the individual saddle/s back farther. might have to machine down that side of the bridge to fit the individual saddles though.
lefty robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #3181
Theoretical Reality

eegor is just really niceeegor is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What they need to do is engineer these bridges so that they are at a bit of an angle, but not anywhere as extreme as a fanned fret bridge. That way the F# saddle would be far enough away without having the high E saddle too far back.
eegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 11:11 PM   #3182
SS.org Regular

My initial thought was that the bridge could just be placed about 1/8" to 1/4" farther back. This should get rid of the issues with intonating the F# (filing saddle, clipping the spring, cutting the screw, etc).

At the same time, the bridge wouldn't be too far back that you would have issues intonating the higher strings (I think)

A fanned bridge or individual saddles in a fanned pattern (such as the ones for bass here: Single Saddle Bass Bridge, Small, Black) would definitely be the best solution IMO but that would jack up the cost
Unread 03-17-2009, 11:15 PM   #3183
I LIKE JUICE!!!

TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
My initial thought was that the bridge could just be placed about 1/8" to 1/4" farther back. This should get rid of the issues with intonating the F# (filing saddle, clipping the spring, cutting the screw, etc).

At the same time, the bridge wouldn't be too far back that you would have issues intonating the higher strings (I think)
They were already moved back a bit from their position in the first run. The saddles on the treble strings are pretty much at the ends of the screws, and for some people it may be necessary to get longer screws.

"Tom, you're like 1 part a serious dork, and 2 parts the most awesome ....ing guy ever." -
TomAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #3184
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAwesome View Post
They were already moved back a bit from their position in the first run. The saddles on the treble strings are pretty much at the ends of the screws, and for some people it may be necessary to get longer screws.

That sucks. Can longer screws be purchased anywhere? Maybe mass-produced fanned bridges on the cheap are the only way to go with this one. I really love the look of individual saddles in a fanned pattern, however.
Unread 03-17-2009, 11:32 PM   #3185
I LIKE JUICE!!!

TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.
Screws can probably be gotten at most hardware stores, I'd imagine. With longer screws and one of those short saddles like the ones on the Schecter 8s, I think these bridges would work just fine.

"Tom, you're like 1 part a serious dork, and 2 parts the most awesome ....ing guy ever." -
Unread 03-18-2009, 12:07 AM   #3186
SS.org Regular

Is it possible to replace the F# steel saddle with a Graphtech one and then just file the back down (I've heard graphite is easy to file)? This way, the saddle could be brought backwards farther and closer to the bridge.
Unread 03-18-2009, 01:41 AM   #3187
SS.org Regular

Bakerman has a spectacular aura about
3 mm wide, 20 mm long screws are perfect for higher strings; I found some at a hardware store last week. The bridge placement seems pretty good for a low F/F#. Maybe 1-2 mm further back would still be ok for the higher strings with 20 or 22 mm screws.

The stock screws are 16mm so this should give an idea how far forward the saddles are--end of the 20 mm screw just barely obscured by the saddle. This is with action around 2 mm (high) to 3mm (low) at the 12th fret, which will get slightly lower once I file the nut slots deeper, so the saddes may need to move a fraction of a mm further up after that.

Bakerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 07:04 AM   #3188
SS.org Regular

jamesmafyew is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Is it possible to replace the F# steel saddle with a Graphtech one and then just file the back down (I've heard graphite is easy to file)? This way, the saddle could be brought backwards farther and closer to the bridge.
Yes, I've done this --- filed front and back, which will only give you about 1-2mm of extra adjustment. The graphtech saddles are slightly longer than the stock steel saddles anyway, so it's really more like 1mm only.

Check this post for a picture. I have since clipped the screw, removed the spring, and radiused the back corner to get it all the way back.
jamesmafyew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #3189
ss.org Regular

Giamatti is a jewel in the rough
In a slight skew from the topic at hand, MY INTREPID CAME TODAY!

Seeing as the forum has been inundated with NI(ntrepid)Ds due to the latest run being dispatched, I thought I'd save the clutter and just mention it here. 1st erg, and I'm AMAZED at how comfy it is.

The intonation is grand too, thankfully, but individual saddles would rock.
Giamatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 10:15 AM   #3190
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
So which one did you get?
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #3191
ss.org Regular

Giamatti is a jewel in the rough
The Natural Pro, I got it off Iondestroyer here on Sevenstring, as I missed the deadline for the last batch, and couldn't wait 5-6 months for the next run as the money I saved for it wouldn't last that long. Tip top nick, I really love it. Cheers Darren!
Giamatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #3192
Turd Ferguson

yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Nattie Pros are still in stock at Rondo. oops edit that only the ebony board ones.
yellowv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #3193
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Well, I've officially decided the nut is just too damn high. I'm going to take it in to the tech at the local music store and have the slots filed down. It plays fine, but just knowing I could get it a little lower is eating at me!
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #3194
SS.org Regular

Does anyone know when the next line of Intrepids will be ready to order? I really wanted one of those ghostbursts with the rosewood fretboard
Unread 03-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #3195
I LIKE JUICE!!!

You'd have to ask Kurt.

Unread 03-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #3196
Theoretical Reality

eegor is just really niceeegor is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
So, I changed the strings on my Intrepid to a custom set: 10, 13, 17, 26, 36, 48, 62, 80, tuned E A D G C F A D (or F# standard, but one step down). Intonation was pretty much perfect out of the box, but for some reason I can't get the C string to stop buzzing on the first fret. Its saddle is already higher than the others, and I've adjusted the truss rod about as much as I feel comfortable with, and it still buzzes pretty bad on the first fret.

Do you guys have any suggestions for what I should do? I'm thinking about taking it to someone to set it up correctly, as I don't have much experience with guitar tech stuff.
eegor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #3197
ss.org Regular

amassivetree is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Does anyone know when the next line of Intrepids will be ready to order? I really wanted one of those ghostbursts with the rosewood fretboard
I'm really anxious too to throw a down payment on a Kahler one before I blow my new guitar fund on something stupid. I was going to ask in the Interceptor thread (I think the trem might go along with the short-scale, interceptor body idea), but didnt want to exhume a dying thread...
amassivetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2009, 10:24 PM   #3198
Medicine Chief/RHLCİ

Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Ok, one more time, with feeling.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gui...this-time.html

So if anyone is GASing for one...

AHHH MOTHERLAND!

All hail soviet Arktanistan-Groffistan!
Groff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #3199
LOLKATYPERRYGUY

DrewsifStalin is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DrewsifStalin is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DrewsifStalin is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DrewsifStalin is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DrewsifStalin is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DrewsifStalin is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DrewsifStalin is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
ok, so can someone summarize the intonation problem for me?
DrewsifStalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #3200
I LIKE JUICE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewsifStalin View Post
ok, so can someone summarize the intonation problem for me?
The saddles on the low strings don't go back quite far enough, and the saddles on the high strings don't go forward quite enough.