homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree358Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #2751
I LIKE JUICE!!!

TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Based on his post a few posts ago, I think he got the case after the fact.

"Tom, you're like 1 part a serious dork, and 2 parts the most awesome ....ing guy ever." -
TomAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #2752
Mentally Guitarded

Galius is a splendid one to beholdGalius is a splendid one to beholdGalius is a splendid one to beholdGalius is a splendid one to beholdGalius is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohns74 View Post
Ha ha! Just got my Bloodburst Pro. No fancy picstory or anything because, frankly, I'm just not that clever, and I'm at work, and I was too impatient to take pictures anyway. And, since the camera on my phone sucks, no pictures at all for the moment, though I will attempt to correct that when I get home.

The guitar looks even better in person than in the pictures, which is amazing. It's darker and less glossy and actually really reminds me of a Schecter Loomis, though I haven't seen one of those in person. Everything appears to be about flawless on mine, which is a bonus. Don't let earlier reports fool you though, the fretboard is positively monstrous. The neck feels Ibanez-thin, so it's very playable and should be easy to get used to.

Being at work, I haven't plugged it in of course, but, not surprisingly, the intonation is not close, so a bit of setting up will be required. All part of the fun of getting a new guitar! Sucks that I sliced a finger on my fretting hand last night and so I can't REALLY try it out the way I'd like to, but so far this appears to be easily worth the price and maybe even worth the wait (though that part was torturous!)
You gotta post pictures because thats what I have coming to me. I was a bit worried because the pics ive seen of the standard bloodburst the red seemed WAY too bright but that may be because of the different wood. I hope its no brighter than in these pics.
http://www.rondomusic.com/intrepidproblo odburst.html

Galius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #2753
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Got moine. Nice but there's a chip out of the nut beside the low F#, I got the wrong case, there are a couple of very small hairline scratches on the back, there are some scratches on the bridge from the screws. I emailed Kurt and am awaiting a response.

I like the guitar other than these things though. It plays well and is very pretty. I'm going to have a NGD picstory posted a little later.
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 05:54 PM   #2754
SS.org Regular

Bakerman has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Sounds good, frets seem to be leveled well. The only issues I've noticed are that the nut could be slotted much deeper, probably 1-2mm on every string, and the 1st & 2nd string will need longer screws to be properly intonated. Also, the 8h string it shipped with is only a .060 according to caliper.
Bakerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #2755
SS Contributor

Seven is a jewel in the rough
Got my Standard 8 Bloodburst/Rosewood today and I couldn't be happier.

The stock pickups are even half decent. This is my first ERG too, and I don't think I'll be going back now after jamming on the Intrepid all day.
Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #2756
Rise and Fall

dsm3sx will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerman View Post
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7799/intrepid1.th.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8617/intrepid2.th.jpg

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5585/intrepid3.th.jpg

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/7692/intrepid4j.th.jpg

Sounds good, frets seem to be leveled well. The only issues I've noticed are that the nut could be slotted much deeper, probably 1-2mm on every string, and the 1st & 2nd string will need longer screws to be properly intonated. Also, the 8h string it shipped with is only a .060 according to caliper.
Same with mine. I got a .060 for my 8th string. And I wondered why it was a bit flubby sounding.

And I as well will need longer screws for my low Eb and Ab strings. There is enough thread on the screws for the High Eb and Bb strings.

Also my Douglas case is a bit loose fitting, I might not have the right case as well
dsm3sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #2757

Cameron will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlordmugfug View Post
Got moine. Nice but there's a chip out of the nut beside the low F#, I got the wrong case, there are a couple of very small hairline scratches on the back, there are some scratches on the bridge from the screws. I emailed Kurt and am awaiting a response.

I like the guitar other than these things though. It plays well and is very pretty. I'm going to have a NGD picstory posted a little later.
Is your case too small too?
Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #2758
The Canada

gatesofcarnage is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Got my Bloodburst around 3:00pm and it is just beautiful. First thing i noticed is how smooth the neck is, it is a freaking dream to play and the upper fret access is GREAT. It is definetly gonna need a good set up i am probably going to switch the 72 to an 80 and go from there. The finish was flawless and after an exterely thourough look over there was no scratches! execpt for the hairline scratch i myself provided on the back. my complaint is (suprise) the EMG 808 which has about as much tone as a waterlogged potatoe. It took me about 2 hours to get a semi-acceptable tone out of it. so maybe a pickup change will in order or maybe i will just spend a little more time searching for something really good. But all in all the guitar is ....ing wonderful. I will post pics tommarow

gatesofcarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #2759
SS Contributor

djohns74 is just really nicedjohns74 is just really nice
Okay, finally, my Bloodburst Pro (and in the right thread this time). I've tried to select shots that are most representative of the color, but this one's a little tricky to pick up it seems. Natural light would probably be better, but God only knows when I'll be seeing that again here in Michigan.

To me, the first one is probably closest to how it seems in person, it's pretty dark with a very subtle burst effect, which I rather like.

EDIT: Added gratuitous ass shot for fun and to show off the full glory of the neck-thru construction
djohns74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 08:54 PM   #2760
Mentally Guitarded

Galius is a splendid one to beholdGalius is a splendid one to beholdGalius is a splendid one to beholdGalius is a splendid one to beholdGalius is a splendid one to behold
That looks absolutely beautiful...cant wait to get mine.

Galius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 09:13 PM   #2761
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Okay, finally, my Bloodburst Pro (and in the right thread this time). I've tried to select shots that are most representative of the color, but this one's a little tricky to pick up it seems. Natural light would probably be better, but God only knows when I'll be seeing that again here in Michigan.

To me, the first one is probably closest to how it seems in person, it's pretty dark with a very subtle burst effect, which I rather like.
Dude, what are the chances of you letting me try that thing out sometime? I really need to try a long-scale 8 before committing to buy one.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #2762
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Is there any wallhanger that will fit the neck of the Intrepids?
Off The Wall Guitar Wall Hanger for Wider Necks from zZounds.com!
Think this'd work?
Unread 03-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #2763
ss.org Regular

Jack Klompus1 is on a distinguished road
I ordered one of these and I'm pretty excited to get it. It's going to be my first 8 string. But I'm not sure what gauge string to use for the lowest string.

On my 7 strings I generally used the Ernie Ball 10 gauge Slinkys tuned down a half step. So can anyone point me in the right dirrection for what to use for a low F?
Jack Klompus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #2764
SS Contributor

djohns74 is just really nicedjohns74 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlordmugfug View Post
Is there any wallhanger that will fit the neck of the Intrepids?
Off The Wall Guitar Wall Hanger for Wider Necks from zZounds.com!
Think this'd work?
If it holds a 6 string bass, I'd think it would be fine, though it'd be nice if they could suggest some maximum dimensions to make life easier. In case you ever find out the numbers on it, the Intrepid neck is right about two and a quarter inches wide at the nut.
djohns74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #2765
themuthaphukkindeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Klompus1 View Post
I ordered one of these and I'm pretty excited to get it. It's going to be my first 8 string. But I'm not sure what gauge string to use for the lowest string.

On my 7 strings I generally used the Ernie Ball 10 gauge Slinkys tuned down a half step. So can anyone point me in the right dirrection for what to use for a low F?
I pose this same question but I use 11-14-28-38-48-58 for Bb standard. What should I grab for an F?

Quote:
If it holds a 6 string bass, I'd think it would be fine, though it'd be nice if they could suggest some maximum dimensions to make life easier. In case you ever find out the numbers on it, the Intrepid neck is right about two and a quarter inches wide at the nut.
That's what I thought, but like you said, no dimensions to go by. I'll contact the company or something. Thanks btw, you saved me searching for a tape measure.
Unread 03-06-2009, 12:13 AM   #2766
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I would use something close to 8-38 + 52 + 70. Remember that the scale length is going to add quite a bit of tension.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 12:29 AM   #2767
MFB
ExBendable

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
Not sure how recent this is but according to Rondo's site, they aretaking pre-orders on the Intrepid Standard Dark Burst/Ebony, $312.50 is the deposit with a final price of $625

(・ω・`)

In space, no one can hear you bree. - Metal Ken
MFB is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 01:33 AM   #2768
SS.org Regular

Wound is a jewel in the rough
man I hope mine fits in the case...it should since i asked him to send it in the case heh
Wound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 02:13 AM   #2769
Power Metal Cellist

TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I put an Elixir 68 on my low F# (I have a first run Intrepid) and that's about as light as I would go, as tuning stability isn't great. I'd go for a 72 or 74 ideally. Any heavier and the low string sounds DRAMATICALLY different from the upper strings.
TemjinStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 02:57 AM   #2770
SS.org Regular

Wound is a jewel in the rough
I use a 80 on my bottom string tuned to low E...thats perfect for me...sounds really nice and clear
Wound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 06:39 AM   #2771
ss.org Regular

Niels will become famous soon enough
Alright, I've got my 8 strings of metal all the way here in the Netherlands =D
It's flawless, not a mark on it, perfect job. And the satin finish is awesome, real clean and slick looking. The neck friggin massive =p but it's also really thin so it actually plays quite fast. And the neck joint, man it really feels comfortable playing way up high.

The sounds just amazing, totally blows the 808 away, anytime. Clean sound can be very snappy and also warm and mellow. High gain is just pure ....ing DJENT all the way, I love it.

Money well spend, and I didn't even get charged by customs, so, HELL YEAH!
Grand total 770 US Dollars, that's like 613 euro's. =D
Niels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 06:44 AM   #2772
I'm really a drummer

RomeApartJizzy is a jewel in the rough
YES! It arrived! I am sooo glad I picked one up.....

Early BDay Present...

Case...

Condom...

Orgasm

Originally, I had ordered an Ocean Burst Pro. After seeing the shots come out of the standard and pro models of OB, I knew I wasn't going to like it as much as I thought. Thankfully, Kurt did one hell of a favor and swapped my order with one that cancelled out.

Initial thoughts:
Plays fantastic! There are the typical setup issues, but these are minor and come along with getting a new guitar.

Comfortable! Feels really nice on and the neck is not as scary as I thought it would be. I don't feel like I will get worn out with it on my shoulder during a show.

The case is overly roomy and the guitar moves when I pick it up. That is something I worry about though. Im not sure if I want to go and bother Kurt again because of it.

Cosmetically, flawless. I searched for SOMETHING to be dented, scratched, or cracked, but nothing was found!!!!

I was able to dial in some fun sounds - both heavy and clean - rather quickly. Most likely, I will be tweaking the hell out of those settings in the future, but I did spend about 2 hours just on a clean setting and man - IT WAS KILLER. The heavy sound was tight and very clear.

Thanks Kurt for being super nice and thanks Darren for getting this idea off the ground!

Jerry
RomeApartJizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 07:06 AM   #2773
Random Swede

Hypothermia is a jewel in the rough
Holy shit, i've got massive GAS for one of those.

Im ordering one first thing when the next round starts
Hypothermia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 08:34 AM   #2774
SS.org Regular

possumkiller is a name known to allpossumkiller is a name known to allpossumkiller is a name known to allpossumkiller is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I have a first run Standard and I use a .010-.056 7 string set with a .075 bass string. Feels just fine. Im honestly not thrown off or noticing any extreme change in tension besides the F# being tighter and clearer. The only bad thing is the ball end of the bass string doesnt fit inside the ferrule does anyone know where I can find big fat strings like that with guitar size ball ends?

sol niger 333: "I'm guessing a dildo was used. A truth dildo."
possumkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #2775
SS.org Regular

Adriatic is a jewel in the rough
all these people getting their intrepids ugh.. and im still waiting for mine..
hurry up monday.....
Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote