homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree200Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #126
Scotty G!

Aerospace274 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
Well, I don't think anyone wins the argument when one person's weapon is an appeal to traditionalism and the other person's is an appeal to elitism.
Haha, yeah. Excellent argument there. I wasn't really being serious, just joking around a little. People tend to act like adding a string or two makes it a whole different world or something. I was just writing a song yesterday and talking to my buddy over Facebook about it and all he had to say was "You're wasting your time. I don't have a 7th string, go work on your song." From a guy who's tuned to A# F A# D# G C. My 7th is A# lol. As though they aren't totally the same notes. /sigh
Oh well!
Solodini likes this.

-I'm an 8 string guitarist, not an 8th string guitarist.

-Music is an expression of emotion, not a challenge of who can play faster or who can tune lower.
Aerospace274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-02-2011, 10:02 AM   #127
SS.org Regular

Kali Yuga has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Also, most Meshuggah riffs only use the top three strings (except for leads), and if they hadn't popularized 8-string guitars, most of you wouldn't own them today. Go tell Thorendaal that he should be playing bass or go back to 6-strings. The music as a complete package is what should be considered, not how many strings are implemented.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #128
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Also, most Meshuggah riffs only use the top three strings (except for leads), and if they hadn't popularized 8-string guitars, most of you wouldn't own them today. Go tell Thorendaal that he should be playing bass or go back to 6-strings. The music as a complete package is what should be considered, not how many strings are implemented.
Those are the bottom 3 strings
Reion, Konfyouzd, saovi and 1 others like this.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #129
SS.org Regular

Kali Yuga has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You know what I meant.
Bigfan likes this.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #130
The Kilted Guitarist

From 7 to 8 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerospace274 View Post
Haha, I saw somewhere that someone said "My skill needed more strings." I think that's a good one if people are ever talking you down about it.
EDIT: Lol, neg repped for defending a minority group and having a sense of humor! I see how you guys roll! :O
I got your back brother.
From 7 to 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 07:06 PM   #131
ss.org Regular

VinnyLemieux is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Its so hilarious how this growing fad is looked down upon by so many but yet so many people are dying to get their hands on one....thats like everything else these days....
VinnyLemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 09:34 PM   #132
Army Without A Flag

All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Meshuggah had actually considered using basses before someone suggested 8 string guitars with a low F.

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.
All_Ľour_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #133
ss.org Regular

Kemono can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashea66 View Post
Ive been catching a bit of bullshit for buying an rg2228 lately. I assure you, nothing that anybody says will make me trade this guitar for anything. I am actually in love with it haha. But seriously, has anyone else been taked down because of our purchase? i know that were all supposed to be in "djent" bands because of it...
Upload some audio or YT clips of you playing it. Proof's in the pudding.

--
Garrett
Kemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #134
SS.org Regular

Ginsu is on a distinguished road
I started on seven strings, since I played piano first, and figured "hmm. 6 strings isn't gonna have a lot of range. Let's try seven! Maybe then I won't miss out on so many notes!" Then about three hours after I bought it, I realized I only had five more notes. -_- But hey. I can djent on it. XD (I hope nobody shoots me for that.)
CooleyJr likes this.
Ginsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2011, 11:20 PM   #135
do u evn djent fggt?

JosephAOI is a splendid one to beholdJosephAOI is a splendid one to beholdJosephAOI is a splendid one to beholdJosephAOI is a splendid one to beholdJosephAOI is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I'm currently a 6 string player only because of the fact that I'm a cash deprived teenage musician but I get a lot of shit when I talk about 8's with my friends at school. You wouldn't believe people's expressions when I showed off my amazing mockup/design for a fanned fret 11 string
Seriously though, .... 'em. I always thought the 'underground scene' was supposed to be something different from what the norm liked or accepted. Why care what these close-minded people think when I doubt some of them haven't experimented into even 6 string down-tuned territory? We're musicians, dammit. Innovation and experimentation is what keeps this form of art alive.
DigBick likes this.
JosephAOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #136
twerk twerk thall

sage is a name known to allsage is a name known to allsage is a name known to allsage is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If I wait until I master every possible aspect of a 6 string guitar before I move on to a 7, master every aspect of that, and then move onto an 8, I will be 97 and everyone will be playing the Oscar Meyer Weiner jingle on 12 string Chapman Sticks like in "Demolition Man."

I got into 8 string guitars to have the extended range of notes and the additional chord shape options. I find myself exploring more on the 8, writing more, learning new techniques and it's affecting my playing in a positive manner. I don't find myself chugging away on the low E very often. OK. Sometimes.
sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #137
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
*Whoa... Epic time travel thread read fail...*

Konfyouzd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #138
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyLemieux View Post
Its so hilarious how this growing fad is looked down upon by so many but yet so many people are dying to get their hands on one....thats like everything else these days....
I get annoyed at people who do things simply to be trendy, but I don't really get annoyed so much at the trends themselves as they tend to bring some cool shit with them when they come along.

Unread 07-29-2011, 01:38 PM   #139
190 Proof

unclejemima218 is just really niceunclejemima218 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I don't know why ANYbody would rag on you for buying an 8. Especially that one. I've wanted an RG2228 since they first came out, never even seen one in real life. I ENVY YOU!

Man is like a piece of cheese. -Lloyd Bridges
unclejemima218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #140
Dread-I Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclejemima218 View Post
I don't know why ANYbody would rag on you for buying an 8. Especially that one. I've wanted an RG2228 since they first came out, never even seen one in real life. I ENVY YOU!
*Clears throat*

<Singing>Hater's gon' haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate</Singing>

Unread 07-31-2011, 08:38 AM   #141
7=best number

welsh_7stinger is a jewel in the rough
one of my mates dosn't like 8 strings but he siad he'd think someone playing an 8 string is very good guitarist. ive yet to have shit for playing either my 7 nor my 8 in collage. when i wnet for my audtion foe the mussic course the people seemed intrested in my 8 string. they asked what wouls u use an 8 string for and i just siad 'i tune it to a drop tuning (drop D#) nd so i can add the bass notes to a E/E minor shape chord'. but ive never had soemone say 'leave it to the bass' 'u suck cause you play an 8' nothing negative atall. just ignore them becasue theyre envyus of you're skill.
welsh_7stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:53 AM   #142
Beethoven Pwns All

Adari is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh_7stinger View Post
one of my mates dosn't like 8 strings but he siad he'd think someone playing an 8 string is very good guitarist. ive yet to have shit for playing either my 7 nor my 8 in collage. when i wnet for my audtion foe the mussic course the people seemed intrested in my 8 string. they asked what wouls u use an 8 string for and i just siad 'i tune it to a drop tuning (drop D#) nd so i can add the bass notes to a E/E minor shape chord'. but ive never had soemone say 'leave it to the bass' 'u suck cause you play an 8' nothing negative atall. just ignore them becasue theyre envyus of you're skill.

The Machine develops - but not on our lies. The Machine proceeds - but not to our goal. We only exist as the blood corpuscles that course through its arteries, and if it could work without us, it would let us die.
-E.M. Forster
Adari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:58 AM   #143
7=best number

welsh_7stinger is a jewel in the rough
i dont have spell check on my computer. and im shit at spelling in genrel.
welsh_7stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #144
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
You know what I do to people who take the piss out of my having an 8? I punch their mother in the .... so they can't breed anymore ignorant children.
JaxoBuzzo, AxeHappy and Solodini like this.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 11:29 AM   #145
Hwat you call me?

guambomb832 is just really niceguambomb832 is just really nice
The people that usually make fun of people having 7 + stringed guitars are the kids that only play breakdowns and hate chords, scoop their mids, have their gain, treble, AND bass at 9, and think they are the shit for playing in a dropped tuning. AKA the ignorant kids.

In the wise words of Drake, "And I'm only getting older, somebody should've told ya, I'm on one. .... it I'm on one(8 string)."

But seriously, just improve your techniques on an ERG, and sooner or later, haters gonna like

You gotta pay the troll toll, to get into the boy's hole.

My bandcamp for my music project, Guamskyy. Enjoy!
guambomb832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 12:00 PM   #146
Banned

Oceans will become famous soon enough
Hell if you don't want it give it me!
JaxoBuzzo likes this.
Oceans is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #147
ss.org Regular

jdpogan is a jewel in the rough
I dislike the notion that any owner of an ERG must play "djent", which is now apparently a genre rather than an onomatopoeia? Anyways, I have an 8, and fairly often use all 8 strings simultaneously or in conjunction with one another to create bass-lead riffs. Check out my band Iodine Sky to see how we utilize our ERG's.
Iodine Sky | Facebook
jdpogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #148
Lefty Derp

AwakenNoMore is a jewel in the rough
Closed minded people will never enjoy new and fun things. They fear what they don't understand.
AwakenNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote