homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #26
GHETTO KING OF SWAG

The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You know, if someone gets an ERG for chugging, that's okay. They're using one of the unique qualities of the instrument to their advantage. We have to be careful not to turn into the kind of people this thread is about!

I think true progression in music comes from using instruments in ways they weren't specifically designed for.

In all aspects of your life, NO SHAME . Like your music, and let haters hate.

If you're going to 'like' my posts, give me some rep instead.

"
i just laughed at my own reflection, not sure if ugly or drunk" -Murmel

The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #27
such a shredneck..

vansinn is just really nicevansinn is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Boy, am I glad that I in my early teens took the firm decision to never stop being interested in what's new and hot - due to my parent's never being interested in anything new (no pun on them). These days they just about only care about Deutche Schlager Paraden

I'm 53 now, play hard rock, progressive metal, progressive jazz fusion, love classical, ethnic, african drums, arab and indian music, bebob jazz...
Though still only playing 6'ers and 7's bass, can hardly wait for my first 8-stringer

..it's good knowing your past and live in the present, but keep moving on, or risk getting left behind..
vansinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #28
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Arkanedemon, sounds like you work with a bunch of ....ing idiots. Aka: Dim witted ....s.
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #29
SS.org Regular

Guitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reverend View Post
You know, if someone gets an ERG for chugging, that's okay. They're using one of the unique qualities of the instrument to their advantage. We have to be careful not to turn into the kind of people this thread is about!

I think true progression in music comes from using instruments in ways they weren't specifically designed for.

In all aspects of your life, NO SHAME . Like your music, and let haters hate.

"FFDP is metal for Nascar fans."-Rick
"Someone said they like guns. I like Mel Gibson."-God
Guitarman700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #30
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Any prejudice to ERGs exist because 7 string guitars are a gateway instrument. You get that extra string, then you are fine for a while, then you think I need to go deeper. Then you get an 8ths string, but you still are satisfied, this one doesn't have the high that last one did. So you get another, and another. Next thing you know string changes cost more than the guitar did, because you have a 25/40" fanned fret 15 string guitar.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #31
Intrepid Jackass

Demiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to all
Let's face it: most music stores are like the book stores you go into with a "staff picks" section featuring Twilight, Dan Brown, and cook books. It's a retail store staffed with retail people, and only 10% of the people working at these establishments are there because they care/know about/have an open mind about the product.

"I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip." -George Costanza
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #32
SS.org Regular

ArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of lightArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of lightArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansinn View Post
..it's good knowing your past and live in the present, but keep moving on, or risk getting left behind..
Great quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlordmugfug View Post
Arkanedemon, sounds like you work with a bunch of ....ing idiots. Aka: Dim witted ....s.
Only when it comes to music. They always throw around the quote "different strokes for different folks" unless it's something they don't like, in which case the thing sucks. It defies the point of throwing the quote around.

They're pretty cool guys otherwise. The only difference is that when I don't like something of theirs, I keep my mouth shut. They don't. When fifteen year olds come into the store and plug in a guitar and start playing drop D metalcore-type riffs, they always say "why don't you go talk to that guy, maybe you can start a band with him!" Even though I told them repeatedly I don't like that stuff, to which they come back with "but it's metal," like that's what all of metal encompasses.

Another story: so I was sitting around with the one guy, and we're talking about Kijiji (we both use it to find bands, musicians, etc). He says "man, I don't understand how you find musicians." I was a bit curious, so I asked him what he meant. "It's because your genre is a joke! *laugh*"
ArkaneDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #33
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkaneDemon View Post
Only when it comes to music. They always throw around the quote "different strokes for different folks" unless it's something they don't like, in which case the thing sucks. It defies the point of throwing the quote around.

They're pretty cool guys otherwise. The only difference is that when I don't like something of theirs, I keep my mouth shut. They don't. When fifteen year olds come into the store and plug in a guitar and start playing drop D metalcore-type riffs, they always say "why don't you go talk to that guy, maybe you can start a band with him!" Even though I told them repeatedly I don't like that stuff, to which they come back with "but it's metal," like that's what all of metal encompasses.

Another story: so I was sitting around with the one guy, and we're talking about Kijiji (we both use it to find bands, musicians, etc). He says "man, I don't understand how you find musicians." I was a bit curious, so I asked him what he meant. "It's because your genre is a joke! *laugh*"

May I suggest:

That's really rude, stupid, and inconsiderate. .... stupid people. [/low_tolerance_of_douchebaggery]
Unread 01-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #34
Subhuman

Double A is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I laughed until my stomach hurt from that video when I first watched it. The difference between that video, and the people I work with is that the people I work are genuinely hostile to anything that isn't traditional. Hostile to the point where I just want to walk away from the place.

The one time (a bit off topic), the two were talking about bringing back psychedelic music, and the one said "we'll just wait until all the metalheads die out so we can bring it back." I was so close to punching the guy in the mouth.
Not to get off topic but there is tons and tons of new psychedelic style rock out there if they would just care to look for it.

Who needs bass players? If I wanted something to lay around and do nothing, I'd get a cat. -ArkaneDemon
"How can you trust a man that wears both a belt and suspenders? He can't even trust his own pants!" -Morton
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #35
SS.org Regular

ArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of lightArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of lightArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of light
^ Holy .... that hammer is awesome. But I think I want to get a third fist on there, you know, to get more range.

Unread 01-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #36
SS.org Regular

Double Post. Oops.
Unread 01-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #37
themuthaphukkindeath

Quote:
^ Holy .... that hammer is awesome. But I think I want to get a third fist on there, you know, to get more range.

All the old construction workers will make fun of you just like the guys you work with now.
Unread 01-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #38
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I'm anti-6 string, actually.
Krullnar likes this.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #39
Turd Ferguson

yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.yellowv can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
I remember years ago how people would look at me like I was a retard when I was trying to poece together strings sets for my 7 10 or so years ago. Just ignorance. Actually the last time I got strings for my 8 locally they were quite interested in it, though.
yellowv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 06:00 PM   #40
hammer every cock

failshredder is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
Is my guitar meant to be a midrange instrument? I didn't know that! The warning labels must have been removed by someone else before I got it! *laugh*

Seriously, though, *who* intended guitar to be a midrange instrument? And, if intentions have weight, wasn't it intended to be an acoustic instrument, with gut strings? *laugh*
This is an excellent point. If I were to rewrite that post, I'd replace "meant to be" with "sounds best to my totally awesome ears as."

Quote:
My eight-strings have a range of an electric bass and an electric guitar. With effects, I use it to emulate and cover parts for double bass, cello, viola and violin, as well as wind instruments.

I also follow the examples and playing of Leo Nocentelli, and use my instruments to do a style of funky interlocking bass/guitar parts.

snip

Cheers!
Curses, foiled again. Yousa point is well-taken. Just... please keep in mind that I'm not trying to tell you what you can and can't do. If you come up with something that sounds good to me that does away with actually having bassists in the band, hell, more power to you! I just tend to think in terms of (read: vaguely influenced by) common-practice period part-writing, where the instruments are not supposed to invade one another's ranges. And yes, I do have the knowledge of tonal harmony to know what that means. For the most part. *chuckle*

daily food like shit and beer
this taste is stronger than heroin
failshredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #41
SS.org Regular

op1e is a jewel in the rough
Last bassist we had was a 4 stringer. It actually sounded great with him moving around in higher octaves than us while we played in A or C.

Help!!! All guitars stolen. Pics and serial numbers here;
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/mem...s-guitars.html

Like my bands! BLu
Wittz End
op1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #42
SS.org Regular

potatohead is a name known to allpotatohead is a name known to allpotatohead is a name known to allpotatohead is a name known to all
No offense to anyone, but this guy is EXACTLY how I view middle aged people in the south. Completely closed off to anything that they don't know, basically the most ignorant people on planet earth. The kind of people that can't find the USA on a map of the earth. The kind of people that still think a '67 Camaro is the fastest car ever made even though by today's standards, it's a slow pig.

I don't even have a seven string, let alone an eight, but this kind of thinking is so annoying. If everybody thought this way we'd still be running around in animal hides chasing things with spears and rocks.
potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #43
SS.org Regular

WickedSymphony is just really niceWickedSymphony is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatohead View Post
If everybody thought this way we'd still be running around in animal hides chasing things with spears and rocks.
Yeah, but how ....ing metal would that be?
WickedSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #44
SS.org Regular

potatohead is a name known to allpotatohead is a name known to allpotatohead is a name known to allpotatohead is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSymphony View Post
Yeah, that's true

lol
potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #45
Now with Less Hair!

13point9 is a splendid one to behold13point9 is a splendid one to behold13point9 is a splendid one to behold13point9 is a splendid one to behold13point9 is a splendid one to behold
oh theres a second video that cements his opinion...

Love how the 1st clip is Broderick playing a 7...

"I won't be satisfied until somebody can whammy a whole piano." Pink Freud

".... that, I'd rather eat 20 pounds of steak and then prove how jacked I am by having angry sex with their mothers whilst curling 200 pounds and drinking ale." maliciousteve
13point9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #46
SS.org Regular

His facial expressions are priceless
Unread 01-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #47
hammer every cock

failshredder is a jewel in the rough
He's obviously trolling, and it's actually funny. Particularly since Broderick's sound in that tapping clip is pretty damn awful.

daily food like shit and beer
this taste is stronger than heroin
failshredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #48
Now with Less Hair!

13point9 is a splendid one to behold13point9 is a splendid one to behold13point9 is a splendid one to behold13point9 is a splendid one to behold13point9 is a splendid one to behold
theres another one where he got a triple neck, he curses the gods on that one hahaha

"I won't be satisfied until somebody can whammy a whole piano." Pink Freud

".... that, I'd rather eat 20 pounds of steak and then prove how jacked I am by having angry sex with their mothers whilst curling 200 pounds and drinking ale." maliciousteve
13point9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #49
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSymphony View Post
Not nearly as metal as verbally blast beating and wearing corpsepaint while hunting. Going up to a deer looking like Gaahl while yelling BRATATATATATATATATA and throwing a spear right through the deer's left eye. Can't possibly get more metal than that.
Unread 01-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #50
Banned

Eric Christian is a jewel in the rough
Bottom line is a certain percentage of people like to sit around and complain and shit that doesn't really have any effect on them. Generally, I've found that they are shallow and empty individuals that typically lead really boring lives. They like to try to start arguments about stuff like politics and religion because they are just really unhappy people. The best policy is to just isolate and ignore or perhaps just smile & nod. If they put you on the spot always say you don't know enough about the subject to form an opinion then politely excuse yourself to the restroom.
Eric Christian is offline   Reply With Quote