homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
7=best number

welsh_7stinger is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Drop D ♯ tuneing on 8

hi, i'm planning on getting my 1st 8 string next april, i'm planning on tuning it to drop D ♯ (D♯,A♯,D♯,G♯,C♯,F♯,a♯,D♯) the lowest D♯ will be a half step below standard bass E. i'm planning on using a 80 gauge string (not bass string, actual guitar string) for the 8th string, the guitar i'm hopefully getting is a schecter damien elite 8. can u suggest if this will work or not. i'm not gonna use a bass string cos of the tone. and i'm in the uk so octave4plu string are not a option. btw this thread is open and useable until i find what im looking for
welsh_7stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

Krankguitarist is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Hmm.

What's the scale on those, 26.5"?

Getting that low on that scale...it might be a little problematic to get that string to intonate correctly. Can't say that I recommended it.
Krankguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
Loves his Q-tuners

Cheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I doubt it would be a problem to intonate if you mess with action / string gauge. (I've intonated a .074 gauge string in F1 on a 24.75" scale so I don't see how anyone should have trouble with most other things)

It just might not sound very good but it doesn't hurt to try and if you don't like it you can always tune up or something. Your definitely going to need a thicker string though.
Cheesebuiscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
Lord Zorgatron

HamBungler is a name known to allHamBungler is a name known to allHamBungler is a name known to allHamBungler is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krankguitarist View Post
Hmm.

What's the scale on those, 26.5"?

Getting that low on that scale...it might be a little problematic to get that string to intonate correctly. Can't say that I recommended it.
Agreed, that's tuning pretty low and both the tone and intonation are likely to be a bit troublesome.

Also, if you're worried bass strings will have a different tone I wouldn't worry. I actually find bass strings to be more punchy sounding than guitar strings in the higher gauges. You'd probably be good with an 85-90 gauge bass string for the low D#.

I'm assuming he's going to want to mass produce these rack pies, and why not? I love racks, I love pies, so put them together and you have pie covered titties. - JJ
Don't thank me, thank the wombat rapist. - Jamie
And Now, a song about Zombies.-some metalcore vocalist
Yeah the axe Devries made me automatically transforms into firewood! But it doesn't transform back. - udaz

Mah Deviantart

Myspace

The Many Faces of Egoraptor
HamBungler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
7=best number

k thanks, nd yes it is a 26.5 inch scale. teh otehr eason y i dont want a bass string is due to the price of them, i can get 80 gague ernie ball guitar strings for just under 5. ill kp just try out with messing withe teh intonation cos i doubt id use teh 8th string below 13th maybe 14th fret. and tone wise ill just adjsut my tone to suit my 7 (drop G# usieng a 66) and the 8 when i get it
Unread 11-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
The .080 will certainly work. It might have less tension than you like, but it's worth a try and should be relatively close to good if you already like .066 at G# on your other guitar (especially if the 7 is 25.5" scale). I don't have a tension calculator handy, but I think the .080@D# would only be something like 10% less tension than a .066@G#
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

ixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud ofixlramp has much to be proud of
Octave 4 Plus shipping to the UK is very cheap, why is it not an option?
ixlramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
Fossicker

DevourTheDamned is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
honestly if youre going to go that low, just for absolute best string tension and you may not even need that ....ing giant .80, [i was using one on my 825 and the tension was great, but the string just had no tone] i would recommend an agile 830, 30 inch scale so you can tune it to whatever you want however low you want and still have badass tension.
DevourTheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 12:25 AM   #9
SS.org Regular

Krankguitarist is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Keep in mind that the issue with intonation is getting the string to intonate correctly all the way up and down the fretboard...not just at the 12th fret. I've had difficulties getting a low G1 on a 25.5" scale guitar with a .070" string. The tension's just fine, but it's a temperamental string.

Going down to a D#1 on a scale that's only an inch longer is going to hold a lot of the same problems. I agree with the above poster...I'd personally go with something around a 30" scale if you can swing it. That way you'll have a much easier time with that low D#.
Krankguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 05:00 AM   #10
Banned

Self Bias will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesebuiscut View Post
I doubt it would be a problem to intonate if you mess with action / string gauge. (I've intonated a .074 gauge string in F1 on a 24.75" scale so I don't see how anyone should have trouble with most other things)

It just might not sound very good but it doesn't hurt to try and if you don't like it you can always tune up or something. Your definitely going to need a thicker string though.
Haha- A man after my own heart! Love the Gibson scale, and I have very long fingers, incidentally. A 74 still reacts like a guitar string should. An 80 has it's merits, tonewise, but starts to get a bit muddy or inarticulate w/ p.m.ed stuff.
Self Bias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
Melody>Metal

MintBerryCrunch will become famous soon enough
inb4 thread topic of tuning 8 string guitar to 5 string bass low B

It's not how you get through the storm, but how you dance in the rain.

Shaaablagooooo!!
MintBerryCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #12
Whisper into nose

Asrial is a glorious beacon of lightAsrial is a glorious beacon of lightAsrial is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintBerryCrunch View Post
Inb4 someone hitting brown-note

The Asrial Project Bandcamp
The Asrial Project Soundcloud
The Asrial Project Twitter
The Asrial Project Facebook

JeffFromMtl: Anyone who says sex is over-rated is doing it wrong.
I don't care how good your stupid toffee brioche pudding is.
Myself: Han shot first
Asrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 06:16 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

Antimatter is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrial View Post
Inb4 someone hitting brown-note
That's my lifelong dream as a musician. If one of my songs can make someone crap their pants, I am successful.
Antimatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #14
Loves his Q-tuners

Cheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MintBerryCrunch View Post
Someones tuned a 6 string down to B0 using an O4+ string on here so your pretty late.
Cheesebuiscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #15
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Alternativly, buy a short scale bass
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2010, 04:57 AM   #16
7=best number

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevourTheDamned View Post
honestly if youre going to go that low, just for absolute best string tension and you may not even need that ....ing giant .80, [i was using one on my 825 and the tension was great, but the string just had no tone] i would recommend an agile 830, 30 inch scale so you can tune it to whatever you want however low you want and still have badass tension.

i was gonna go for a agile but there's NO WARRENTY when you order them to the uk. so that put me off. but i see what you mean. if it wasnt fro teh warrenty thing id be decideing agile or schecter.
Unread 11-25-2010, 05:01 AM   #17
7=best number

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixlramp View Post
Octave 4 Plus shipping to the UK is very cheap, why is it not an option?
i thought they didnt deliver to the UK and i like ernire ball strings i found a ernie ball 80. but thank for letting me know they deliver to the uk.
Unread 11-25-2010, 05:33 AM   #18
Pillars

Nialzzz is a jewel in the rough
The Schecter has a pretty thick neck. I might flogging a dead horse on this forum, but the RGA8 Ibanez is a pretty sweet deal (and I've had no problems with mine, i.e. bridge pin, action) for the price. With Any flaws, you do have warranty.

The slightly longer scale neck will hold tension and the neck is sooooooooooo buttery to play.

Can I ask? Why tune so low? Will you not be crossing wires with the bass guitar at those frequencies?

Remember Schecter now have 8 string packs, but they only go up to .74 quage. Saves custom buying D'addario's from stringsdirect.co.uk.

I'm all about Rohypnol, Diezel's, 8 String RG's, Gibson's, PRS's, and Hardcore Team Deathmatches.
Nialzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #19
7=best number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nialzzz View Post
The Schecter has a pretty thick neck. I might flogging a dead horse on this forum, but the RGA8 Ibanez is a pretty sweet deal (and I've had no problems with mine, i.e. bridge pin, action) for the price. With Any flaws, you do have warranty.

The slightly longer scale neck will hold tension and the neck is sooooooooooo buttery to play.

Can I ask? Why tune so low? Will you not be crossing wires with the bass guitar at those frequencies?

Remember Schecter now have 8 string packs, but they only go up to .74 quage. Saves custom buying D'addario's from stringsdirect.co.uk.
i was gonna go for the RGA8 originaly but i played the RG2228 in america and it was brill to play, but if i got the RGA8 id be compairing it to the RG2228 constantly, plus the schecter has better specs, and i dont mind the thicker neck im still hunting for my ideal set up. and the strings are not custom. the reason for tuneing that low is because i want to try nd compose a song that will cause all the drinks in the room to vibrate not due to amplification but the bass frequancies.
Unread 11-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #20
Pillars

Nialzzz is a jewel in the rough
I concur, it's not up there with the 2228, but at 600 odd quid. You can buy it and splash the remainder saved on upgrading it (tone/volumes pots, pickups, bone nut, and tuners). Better having a tricked out Wizard neck than a baseball bat. haha.

Not custom? Where you getting 8 string packs from? I need me that. haha.

That is definitely a good enough reason to tune low; going for "the brown sound" by any chance?

I'm all about Rohypnol, Diezel's, 8 String RG's, Gibson's, PRS's, and Hardcore Team Deathmatches.
Nialzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2010, 03:00 PM   #21
7=best number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nialzzz View Post
I concur, it's not up there with the 2228, but at 600 odd quid. You can buy it and splash the remainder saved on upgrading it (tone/volumes pots, pickups, bone nut, and tuners). Better having a tricked out Wizard neck than a baseball bat. haha.

Not custom? Where you getting 8 string packs from? I need me that. haha.

That is definitely a good enough reason to tune low; going for "the brown sound" by any chance?
it isnt a set its just single strings. i use ernie ball 10-46, low B 66, and for the 8th string on the 8 string will be a 80.

i also perfer the schecter damien elite 8 CR visualy over the RGA8.

its a birthday present so i wont be able to mod it and i have a personal rule not to mod any big name branded guitar. plus just getting the schecter is cheaper than getting the RGA8 and moding it.
Unread 11-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #22
ss.org Regular

Allen1uk is a jewel in the rough
hi mate,

I Got a Blackjack C-8 Schecter from Millennium Music down in Nottingham and its killer!

I have played it drop C# and its VERY low BUT did work!
Allen1uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #23
7=best number

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1uk View Post
hi mate,

I Got a Blackjack C-8 Schecter from Millennium Music down in Nottingham and its killer!

I have played it drop C# and its VERY low BUT did work!
has the blackjack got the same scale length as the damien elite?
Unread 11-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #24
diminishit

gr8Har V is headed in the right direction.
with schecter's short scales idk if it would sound nice. it would be perfect with a 27" or 28.625" scale, such as on rondomusic.com and a better price too
gr8Har V is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #25
7=best number

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8Har V View Post
with schecter's short scales idk if it would sound nice. it would be perfect with a 27" or 28.625" scale, such as on rondomusic.com and a better price too
ive already stated in a previous message that i cant go for a agile due to no warrenty thing. and im not atall intrested in getting a ibanez.