homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #1
Banned

paintkilz is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do you prefer SS or Tubes for your 8?

just curious as to what everyones doing, and just like it says-what you prefer.

i myself, have a bias modded 5150, and a x pattern(h60Lxt75) 412. i havent gotten to jam on it with my 8 in a band setting yet though. and jamming at home i usually just use my pod farm. leads me to think i should look into a vetta/hd147 possibly for a live rig.

what are you guys using?

and BLAH to the axe-fx users. used inflations, and limited supply has drove me to pursue a custom guitar in jan rather than the fractal.
paintkilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

whisper is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Line6 spidervalve - 40w Bogner (tube) power amp, components, and voiceing, with line6 modeling. definitely prefer tubes, my last rig was SS and tube - tubes any day. My opinion, of course.

....ing blankets, how do THEY work?!?
whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
Ambiente Savante

signalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to all
toobz.

i did the solid state thing for a few years....ugh.... ill never look back.
signalgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
I am Sammy Jankis

Haunted Cereal is a jewel in the rough
8 string->ABY box->tube guitar amp/solid state bass amp. Eq to taste.
Haunted Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Team Ibanez

mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Right now I have a qsc solid state powering my axe fx, but after playing my axe through my bro's Mark IV's power section, I determined that was the route to go. I'll be grabbing a 2:90 very very soon.
mattofvengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2010, 11:50 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

Scarpie is just really niceScarpie is just really nice
I have been doing the solid state thing for the past 7 years,and digital for past 5. This year I went back to tubes. I'll never go back either. And I use 9 strings too. I go as low as B0 on my guitars. Tubes aren't as tight as solid state,but I prefer a specific dynamic on my guitars that only tubes can accomodate anyway.

Good times followed by the hard times
And the good shall return and this,,,,,,
I do swear
Scarpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 12:04 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

Not to mention every guitar tone I've ever admired was either a 5150 or some other tube amp.

I do swear
Unread 10-01-2010, 12:29 AM   #8
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpie View Post
I have been doing the solid state thing for the past 7 years,and digital for past 5. This year I went back to tubes. I'll never go back either. And I use 9 strings too. I go as low as B0 on my guitars. Tubes aren't as tight as solid state,but I prefer a specific dynamic on my guitars that only tubes can accomodate anyway.
Cool insight, thanks. It's valuable to know you've tried ss, digital and tubes extensively before voting for the tubes.
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
Spastic Kitchen!

bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.bostjan is pretty much the man.
I use Mesa/Boogie Dual Recto.

Solid state amps don't sound at all bad with the right pickups, IMO.

[URL="http://sites.google.com/site/bostjanzupancickhereb/"[/URL]
bostjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #10
Banned

wow. way more tube than i expected and less fractal.
Unread 10-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #11
(((Ω)))

simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.simonXsludge is his own personal hero.
the line6 HD147 is a great choice for 8-string guitars, i think. i've been running my RGA8 with a lundgren through it and it always sounded huge. i've been playing that amp for 6 years and loved it to death. also, it's been blowing away all tube amps i ever tried.

just sold the amp for a pod X3 live (same sounds, easy to travel with) and i'm about to run this through an engl 840/50, fryette 2/50/2 or rocktron 2x150 watts SS power amp. whatever sounds better is gonna make it in the end. i might end up keeping the rocktron as a backup anyways.
simonXsludge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #12
bigeh

brutus627 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
tubes sound good to me i use the engl fb60 into a 412pro w/ v30's and my ltd fm has a blackout. the package all together sounds awesome and i couldn't be happier.
brutus627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #13
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Both. My preamp is (mostly) solid state and my power amps have many tubes.

However my new little Blackheart has two tubes and BURNS SHIT UP with my 8 string. So I guess ymmv.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic17517_3.gif
Customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

Thaeon is just really niceThaeon is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haunted Cereal View Post
8 string->ABY box->tube guitar amp/solid state bass amp. Eq to taste.
This is actually a good way of doing... I'm about to have an amp designed that is basically this inside one box with the addition of a crossover.
Thaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #15
Banned

more and more im thinking i need a pod or similar L6 head.

i got my 8 like 2wks ago, and my band broke up at the same time. so i havent had a chance to play teh 8 with my live rig in a band setting. im prolly blowing it out of proportion. I love my 5150, and i have a 31band eq in the loop so i dont see why i cant find a great tone.
Unread 10-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #16
ss.org Regular

Danxile is a jewel in the rough
My krank revolution halfstack sounds so ridiculous when i play my 8 on it. Its always held up quite nicely with my Les Paul with the emgs, but with the 8 (also with emgs) the low end is just so clean and audible. Not to mention its the loudest amp ive ever played or heard.
Danxile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #17
WTFCAKES

omgmjgg is a glorious beacon of lightomgmjgg is a glorious beacon of lightomgmjgg is a glorious beacon of light
Septor 827 -> ts9 -> Engl Savage -> Mesa 4x12 v30s, that is all.

"from 2:08 - 2:30 i had goosebumps from 3:01 - 3:27 i wanted to punch the balls off of myself and kick my own teeth out."

this made me el oh el
omgmjgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #18
Seven String Samurai

fretninjadave is a glorious beacon of lightfretninjadave is a glorious beacon of lightfretninjadave is a glorious beacon of light
Tubes on all applications . if possible.
fretninjadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 01:31 AM   #19
ss.org Regular

exoplanet has a spectacular aura about
I for sure prefer solid state over tube.
At equal quality anyways, though I would still go solid state if it was only a little less quality-wise than the tube.
AxeFX ftw though, it's on its way!
exoplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 03:02 AM   #20
DO CEO / RHLC

AeonSolus is a splendid one to beholdAeonSolus is a splendid one to beholdAeonSolus is a splendid one to beholdAeonSolus is a splendid one to beholdAeonSolus is a splendid one to behold
Tube amp really badly slammed in the face by a Tubescreamer or any other awesome overdrive, like the BBPreamp

/thread.

Product of my boreness:
https://soundcloud.com/aeonsolus

AeonSolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2010, 06:01 AM   #21
SS.org Regular

W

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintkilz View Post
more and more im thinking i need a pod or similar L6 head.

i got my 8 like 2wks ago, and my band broke up at the same time. so i havent had a chance to play teh 8 with my live rig in a band setting. im prolly blowing it out of proportion. I love my 5150, and i have a 31band eq in the loop so i dont see why i cant find a great tone.
See I can't help but be concerned with your comment here. As I mentioned, I have been playing through digital guitar works for the past 5 or 6 years or so. No matter what I did, I was never quite satisfied with my tone, something was ALWAYS missing. Well recently, maybe for the past two months or so have been doing some experimenting amp wise. I acquired a line 6 vetta 2. I figured if I am going to do the digital route I need to stop with low end modelers and go state of the art. my two choices were either a vetta or axe fx. Well as it turns out, I found a vetta 2 for a very good price and it frankly SLAYS every other line 6 unit I have ever played through. Kills the HD147, and has a lot more versatility than the pod x3 i have mastered over the years. And we all know it's potential thanks to meshuggah, and Dino Cazares. So like I said i've been doing some experimenting. I have this head and a peavey 5150. I've a/b switched between the heads back and forth, some days prefering the vetta, but most days prefering the 5150. I have A/B switched between them into the same cabinet, and between seperate cabinets. As of the last two weeks or so i have been using both heads via 4 cable method. 5150 for riffs, and vetta for cleans and leads. Now I honestly and truthfully cannot emphasize enough how much better the vetta sounds through a tube power section. So being that the vetta sounds like it's on crack now, (for the very much better) I decided to try running the vetta with a rhythm patch through tubes and get best of both worlds. Well, no matter how great my vetta sounds, when i change patches and go from vetta preamp through peavey tubes, to 5150 preamp, there is just no competition at the end of the trial. the peavey always sounds more clear, warmer, less harsh on ears in high end register, and more three dimensional than the vetta ever can. Truth is, because of the 4 cable method, I am able to make a very un biased comparison. And at the push of a button I can play the vetta amp, or 5150 preamp side by side. And truth is, no matter how much money you spend on digital equipment, it's "emulating" a dynamic that has now become legendary to guitar players. So one could either spend 2 grand on an axe fx or (a little less) for a vetta to basically copy a tone that my tube amp perfects and authentically delivers at less than half the price. So considering you have a peavey, I think if you invest in a little bit more in toys you'll be more than satisfied. I see you have the head, but I would throw a boost before the head, as wel as a gate before the amp and in the loop, and you'll see what I am talking about.
With this I vote for tubes.

I do swear
Unread 10-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #22
Banned

i always run with a gate and a clean boost so thats not an issue. I also played my 8 in a band setting last night, but it was through the drummers valveking halfstack. i didnt want to move all my gear, and unfortunately i should of. valvekings definitely flub on the 8.
Unread 10-05-2010, 11:24 AM   #23
bigeh

brutus627 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpie View Post
See I can't help but be concerned with your comment here. As I mentioned, I have been playing through digital guitar works for the past 5 or 6 years or so. No matter what I did, I was never quite satisfied with my tone, something was ALWAYS missing. Well recently, maybe for the past two months or so have been doing some experimenting amp wise. I acquired a line 6 vetta 2. I figured if I am going to do the digital route I need to stop with low end modelers and go state of the art. my two choices were either a vetta or axe fx. Well as it turns out, I found a vetta 2 for a very good price and it frankly SLAYS every other line 6 unit I have ever played through. Kills the HD147, and has a lot more versatility than the pod x3 i have mastered over the years. And we all know it's potential thanks to meshuggah, and Dino Cazares. So like I said i've been doing some experimenting. I have this head and a peavey 5150. I've a/b switched between the heads back and forth, some days prefering the vetta, but most days prefering the 5150. I have A/B switched between them into the same cabinet, and between seperate cabinets. As of the last two weeks or so i have been using both heads via 4 cable method. 5150 for riffs, and vetta for cleans and leads. Now I honestly and truthfully cannot emphasize enough how much better the vetta sounds through a tube power section. So being that the vetta sounds like it's on crack now, (for the very much better) I decided to try running the vetta with a rhythm patch through tubes and get best of both worlds. Well, no matter how great my vetta sounds, when i change patches and go from vetta preamp through peavey tubes, to 5150 preamp, there is just no competition at the end of the trial. the peavey always sounds more clear, warmer, less harsh on ears in high end register, and more three dimensional than the vetta ever can. Truth is, because of the 4 cable method, I am able to make a very un biased comparison. And at the push of a button I can play the vetta amp, or 5150 preamp side by side. And truth is, no matter how much money you spend on digital equipment, it's "emulating" a dynamic that has now become legendary to guitar players. So one could either spend 2 grand on an axe fx or (a little less) for a vetta to basically copy a tone that my tube amp perfects and authentically delivers at less than half the price. So considering you have a peavey, I think if you invest in a little bit more in toys you'll be more than satisfied. I see you have the head, but I would throw a boost before the head, as wel as a gate before the amp and in the loop, and you'll see what I am talking about.
With this I vote for tubes.
i had literally this exact conversation with TMM on the phone last night...i totally agree that you will always be chasing the proverbial dragon with ss IMO i think you nailed it
brutus627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #24
SS.org Regular

The Munk is just really niceThe Munk is just really nice
Tubes!
The Munk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #25
SS.org Regular

Thaeon is just really niceThaeon is just really nice
Tubes... Always... There's nothing in the world that sounds like my SD45 just shy of frothing at the mouth through a 412. My wife even gets bugeyed when I crank it.
Thaeon is offline   Reply With Quote