homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #126
SS.org Regular

Santuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
Since my Intrepid Pro has Ab0 as the lowest note (half step below lowest note on a piano), and since this has the same scale length as mine, I have no doubt that it could reach that note.

I'm considering getting one to tune like an extension of my combination guitar/bass (B0 E1 A1 D2 G2 C3 F3 A3 D4). I've considered full fourths more than once, but there are too many useful guitar voicings I already know in standard tuning, and I hesitate to toss those all away by changing that interval at the top end to a fourth. If I wanted to use it for normal playing in any way, instead of just touchstyle, it's just too problematic.

Whatever I would tune it to, though, there's no way to do the full fifths thing from my Intrepid Pro unless I add a low Db0 below that low Ab0. For once, I'm hesitant to push the limits, because I don't even think I have an amp capable of moving that kind of air....
Thanks !

So, that Ab0 you mentioned, is that the next Ab below a bass guitar's low E?
And you have that on an Intrepid 8 string with a 28"scale?
Santuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-11-2010, 05:43 PM   #127
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santuzzo View Post
So, that Ab0 you mentioned, is that the next Ab below a bass guitar's low E?
Correct - 5 string bass down 3 semitones.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #128
SS.org Regular

Santuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud ofSantuzzo has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealEntity View Post
Correct - 5 string bass down 3 semitones.
Holy cow! I jusr realised that's lower than the low B of a 5 string bass
Unread 09-11-2010, 06:30 PM   #129
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:

I find it more worrisome that I can't find my string calculation notebook, where I keep track of what I use on all my instrument families (and yes, every one of my instruments is in a non-stock tuning, and some of them have more than 90 strings).
You're a mad scientist!
Do you have any clips of that Ab0 in action? And can you distort it, or are you pretty much limited to cleans only?
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #130
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
As far as I know it's something he's "working on". Given how poorly the first fanned 7s have sold (or haven't as I should say), who knows what the fate of future fanned projects would be. I know that no one here bought one.

I guess his options are:

A) Scuttle the whole fanned 7 project and cut his losses.

B) Take an even bigger risk than before and make some better spec'd fanned models, seeing as he [the factory] has the templates and CNC programs already.

He posted a picture of a fanned 7-string Interceptor with a fanned pickup and fanned Kahler. So, depending on how feasible it will be to make that and price it such that Rondo's typical clientèle will be happy is what it's going to take.
Yeah, I actually felt kind of bad about that fanned 7. I feel like we should have supported his efforts, there, which is kind of a weird paternal thing to feel about a company.
But I would think that he'd have way more luck selling a fanned 9 (or even 8) than 7, because generally speaking, I think most of us are fine with a straight fret 7. So I hope he keeps experimenting with these things.
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #131
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowway View Post
You're a mad scientist!
Do you have any clips of that Ab0 in action? And can you distort it, or are you pretty much limited to cleans only?
Sorry to the curious, but I don't have clips. I'm not really motivated to get any form of camera, since I don't do any kind of facebook/twitter/youtube stuff. However, I do play out with a few people who are into that stuff, so I'll see if it's a possibility.

It sounds good in my opinion, but any instrument playing in the bass range needs space if one is playing multiple notes. The further down you go from E2, the worse close intervals sounds. One of the better books I've read, probably long out of print, was titled "Arranging Techniques for Synthesists." It had a great discussion of voice spacing throughout, and convinced me that one should look at why classical and chamber music, as well as rock and roll, normally has its pitch-dense parts starting in the middle octaves, and why the bottom octaves are normally unisons and fifths of simultaneous notes. The bottom notes do sound good stacked densely when I shift up polyphonically with the EHX HOG or the POG2, but there's no real need to do so on the Intrepid compared to a more limited instrument like the fretless bass I have kicking around.

Arrangements aside, the instruments sounds guitar-like at the bottom, at least in my opinion, with normal guitar-like partials in the initial moments of plucking or tapping. I think a lot of bass-like sound and coloration comes from the amps and effects, so I like working with full-range effects and FRFR sound systems (full range flat response), instead of frequency-specific guitar and bass effects and amps. I think there have been some threads where Tosin's rig has been discussed, and he goes the FRFR route for amplification/reinforcement.

Regarding clean and dirty tones, and respecting the limits of note density you can observe in all musics, I can use any of my effects on it, but I bought them with an eye towards them being usable through the entire instrument's range. For dirt, I've found that I really like the Hardwire CM-2, the Four Knob Rat, the Mastotron, really anything that works for both guitar and bass. (I'm having an issue with my Musket at the moment, so it doesn't make the list, but normally it's a great Muff box for an ERG, as are most of the Civil War Muffs.) All my other effects are time-based (Yamaha UD-Stomp 8-line delay/chorus/flange/whatever, Electric Mistress, TC Nova Modulator (which can do a perfect emulation of the Electric Mistress, so I'll probably be selling that), and other reverb/delay units) or pitch based (Boss PS-3, EHX HOG and POG2). The bottom notes do sound good stacked densely when I shift up polyphonically with the HOG or the POG2, but there's no real need to do so on the Intrepid compared to a more limited instrument like the fretless bass I have kicking around. (I don't know in what category I'd stick the AdrenaLinn, but that works too.)

Incidentally, I think the dedicated touchtyle/tap players are onto something when they run their bass and guitar sides into different effect chains. There's a lot to be said for having different sounds available. To that end, at some point I'm going to be picking up a Dual Band Optical Compressor-Limiter from FEA Labs, which has separate outputs for bass and treble, and a selectable crossover point. I'm currently running through a Maxon CP9+ Pro compresser/limiter (awesomely quiet, as long as your guitar and signal chain is also quiet) with no complaints, but nothing exceeds like excess.

----

I don't know if this was an off-topic derailment or not. As the range of these guitars gets wider, using equipment which can effect and/or reproduce that full range gets more important, and I don't know if there's been much discussion of that here at SS.org. Hopefully it will be relevant to someone....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowway View Post
Yeah, I actually felt kind of bad about that fanned 7. I feel like we should have supported his efforts, there, which is kind of a weird paternal thing to feel about a company.
That's the way I feel about this 9-string. Even if it's not ideal, if I buy one, there will likely be another 9 in the future.

I was pricing how much it will cost me to put Ghost saddles on this, to get a different tone without having to route another pickup. I wonder if that Ghost system is still in the classifieds.

So much want, so little cash!

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 05:36 AM   #132
SS.org Regular

Meshugger is a jewel in the rough
All i see is talk. Has anyone here actually ordered one?
Meshugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 05:38 AM   #133
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshugger View Post
read the whole thread and your question will be answered.

(but I myself have not ordered one)
Unread 09-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #134
SS.org Regular

guitareben is a jewel in the rough
Wow! WOW! I actually love Agile. I mean, i don't even have one, and i really want them to have a fanned one, which will make me buy immediatly (hint hint...) , but it is so good they listen to us . Awesome
guitareben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #135
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
I'd love to try one in F standard with a low Bb, that'd be mad.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 12:54 PM   #136
SS.org Regular

Scarpie is just really niceScarpie is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meshugger View Post
As a matter of fact yes. I bought mine Friday.

Good times followed by the hard times
And the good shall return and this,,,,,,
I do swear
Scarpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #137
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpie View Post
As a matter of fact yes. I bought mine Friday.
Vids plz.
Unread 09-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #138
Of Blood and Sawdust

JaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I'de love to get a 9 string simply so that I have 2 extra low strings (like a standard 8) and one extra high string. I'de be able to play Scale the Summit and Meshuggah on the same instrument :o
JaeSwift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #139
Power Metal Cellist

TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiregenocide View Post
I'd love to try one in F standard with a low Bb, that'd be mad.
Or, you know, just don't put a high E on your 8. Same difference, and I doubt you'd be losing appreciable range at that point.

Or start playing bass
TemjinStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #140
A Chap Called Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinStrife View Post
Or, you know, just don't put a high E on your 8. Same difference, and I doubt you'd be losing appreciable range at that point.

Or start playing bass
Well I wouldn't get a 9 string anyway, so I would rather have my high e than the Bb.
Unread 09-12-2010, 04:23 PM   #141
Carpe Diem

Sponge is just really niceSponge is just really nice
Damnit... Just damnit...

Hey, even though its ultra corny and ridiculous, I like watching Finding Bigfoot. At least there is nice scenery. Even Renee is a 7/10 in cottage country.
Sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #142
SS.org Regular

rippedflesh89 is just really nicerippedflesh89 is just really nice
not interested... 9 strings sound like overkill.... i loooove my 7 string and have now decided to be pretty much an exclusive 7 string player.... i want an 8 string to .... around with in the future as well... but .... 9 strings... 8 is enough
rippedflesh89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #143
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Looks cool, I'm glad they got around to it. I like my 9's better, but I just don't have time to make them for other people so it's good to see a <$1000 option out there.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #144
Subhuman

Double A is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippedflesh89 View Post
8 is enough
That was a great tv show tbh.

I am in the same boat as you though. I play sevens and want an 8 to mess with but 9? Too much methinks.

Who needs bass players? If I wanted something to lay around and do nothing, I'd get a cat. -ArkaneDemon
"How can you trust a man that wears both a belt and suspenders? He can't even trust his own pants!" -Morton
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #145
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I was writing a few "cello" parts today (POG2 slow attack on dry, run through DigiVerb), and I don't see how this is too many strings. When I want to grab a note below the low E1, that's what I want, and when I want to play above the 12th fret on the high D4 string, that also is what I want.

I like how it's been suggested that one wouldn't miss that added range if just downtuning/uptuning on an instrument with less strings. I suspect it's because the person suggesting can't imagine a context in which to utilize that full range, and also can't imagine someone else's needs being different from theirs. Interesting....

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #146
Hwat you call me?

guambomb832 is just really niceguambomb832 is just really nice
Quote:
I like how it's been suggested that one wouldn't miss that added range if just downtuning/uptuning on an instrument with less strings. I suspect it's because the person suggesting can't imagine a context in which to utilize that full range, and also can't imagine someone else's needs being different from theirs. Interesting....
I for one, would lLOVE to have the option for more range, even though I can't utilize all of it. I think of it as a "more bang for your buck" deal.

You gotta pay the troll toll, to get into the boy's hole.

My bandcamp for my music project, Guamskyy. Enjoy!
guambomb832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #147
Stupid, apparently

The Echthros is a jewel in the rough
I love the idea the same way I love the idea of extended range in an 8 string...but I would definitely need a multiscale neck to handle this ....er. and with 9 I'd would definately go with the extra lower string and one higher, going lower than F# in the distorted guitar world IS overkill.
The Echthros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 09:14 PM   #148
Subhuman

Double A is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
and I don't see how this is too many strings. When I want to grab a note below the low E1, that's what I want, and when I want to play above the 12th fret on the high D4 string, that also is what I want.
It is too many strings for me. I understand how others would utilize this guitar but I just am not into it (although, I was always not into sevens either...) If you are than more power to you.

Who needs bass players? If I wanted something to lay around and do nothing, I'd get a cat. -ArkaneDemon
"How can you trust a man that wears both a belt and suspenders? He can't even trust his own pants!" -Morton
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #149
Power Metal Cellist

TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/TemjinStrife is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
My reason for that assertion is generally, my experience with 90% of people who add more strings spend more and more time on *just* those added low strings, and if you are looking to add a low C# on such a guitar as the one listed, you would be hitting a very difficult compromise of tension, string gauge, timbre, and playing action.

In my experience, even an 8 string with high A or low F# is a big compromise in terms of tension and timbre on one end of the scale or the other without fanned frets.
TemjinStrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 11:28 PM   #150
Stupid, apparently

The Echthros is a jewel in the rough
^^^^well put. That's why I would need a multiscale. I would find it hard to play lead passages at 27" or 28.6xxxxx(I had a hard enough time at it on the 26.5" hellraiser I had for all of a week for that same issue) and the tension the F#(or lower if I tune it to meet the same intervals down a step) is too light for me to play articulate rhythm lines. I need somewhere along the lines of 25.5-27.5/28.5 to make it work with an 8 string, probably even smaller scale on the treble side to feel comfortable with that added higher string. I would definately not be the asshole chugging away on the lowest bass string just cus I could. I like some lead wankery too.
The Echthros is offline   Reply With Quote