homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
ss.org Irregular

Nonservium is a glorious beacon of lightNonservium is a glorious beacon of lightNonservium is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Issues with my new RGA8

So I've had my RGA8 since last Wednesday but I haven't had time to dig into it much until yesterday. When I changed the strings Thursday night I had to spend half the evening cleaning and polishing the frets as they were mostly filthy and brown below the 8th fret.

I set down to try and adjust the action a bit after getting rid of the floppy strings. Before I even got started I decided to check the fretboard for dead notes and found several places where there is significant string rattle. You can look down the neck and see that frets aren't even. Some of them on the F# side of the fretboard have hardly no angle to them at all. My open D string rattles and vibrates to the point where you can feel the vibration in the bridge and the body.

I had hoped that some of that would work itself out after adjusting the neck which was slighty off and lowering the action on the low end a bit but no such luck. The same notes still rattle like crazy.

I haven't owned an Ibanez since the mid 90's and I don't remember their QC being ass back then. Is this just due to the Indonesian factory? Is this common now or did I just get a bad one with luck of the draw?

I can probably fix all this shit myself but add the hassle of having to buy all the tools to fix the shitty frets or paying someone to do it for me to the fact that it needs pick ups too and I'm not even sure I want to .... with it. I have no idea where to even start with the D string problem. I have no comparison to the sound that thing makes.

I'm pretty disappointed to be honest. I was excited to get an 8 but at this point I feel like I've taken it up the shitter considering what I got for my trade when compared to the condition this thing is in out of the box. I'm considering returning it as it just seems like I got ....ed. The guitar I traded was ....ing pristine. Not a flaw on it, perfectly intonated, perfect frets, it was gorgeous. Either way, GC opens in an hour so I'm gonna call the guy I worked with and see what I can do either get my money/trade back or a refund as this is bullshit.
Nonservium is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Find an Ibanez authorized repair center in your area. Seeing as this would be categroized as a factory defect, the shop would be obligated, via the warranty, to fix it free of charge (reimbursed by Ibanez). You could also see about sending it directly to Hoshino USA for warranty "repairs". Ibanez, or HUSA I should say, have really been working to step up their customer service in the past couple years. A few folks over on the Ibby board have needed work done and HUSA has been very quick and professional about making those customers happy.

Call (215)245-1648, and tell them what's up.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
ss.org Irregular

Nonservium is a glorious beacon of lightNonservium is a glorious beacon of lightNonservium is a glorious beacon of light
You think they'd actually do all that, Max?
Unread 08-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonservium View Post
You think they'd actually do all that, Max?
They're fairly obligated by the warranty to either fix or replace a "defective" guitar. Just call them up, explain to them that there is a "significant issue" with the frets and/or fretboard and see what they can do. They should be able to provide you with a list of authorized repair centers in your area, as well as give you options as far as sending the guitar to them.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #5
ss.org Irregular

If I can get that sound the D makes recorded I'll post it so you can give me your thoughts. I literally don't even know how to describe it.
Unread 08-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

Kavnar is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any update on the situation?
Been interested in picking one of these up just wondered if you'd found a solution yet?
If not good luck with it!
Kavnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #7
ss.org Irregular

Yep, I actually just got back from GC this evening. Went through the guitar piece by piece with their Guitar Tech and after about an hour he found the issue of the A and D strings ringing out like a sitar when you hit them open. The middle allen screw in between the bridge tuners has stripped out of the wood and has come up and has been loose in there vibrating this whole time.

So apparently outside of the terrible fret job it was just plain old defective from the get go.

They offered to call Ibanez and try to get it straightened out but at his point and after googling the problem it turns out it's been an on-going problem. Evidence of this here.

I think I'm just going to opt for a refund and possibly get an fx processor which was the other thing I wanted. I'd love an Agile but without being able to do the trade in trade up at GC I couldn't have done this so thats out of the question :-(.
Unread 08-24-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

Kavnar is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonservium View Post
Yep, I actually just got back from GC this evening. Went through the guitar piece by piece with their Guitar Tech and after about an hour he found the issue of the A and D strings ringing out like a sitar when you hit them open. The middle allen screw in between the bridge tuners has stripped out of the wood and has come up and has been loose in there vibrating this whole time.

So apparently outside of the terrible fret job it was just plain old defective from the get go.

They offered to call Ibanez and try to get it straightened out but at his point and after googling the problem it turns out it's been an on-going problem. Evidence of this here.

I think I'm just going to opt for a refund and possibly get an fx processor which was the other thing I wanted. I'd love an Agile but without being able to do the trade in trade up at GC I couldn't have done this so thats out of the question :-(.
Hmm, yeah I was worried it might be a common issue. I've already got an intrepid, but I was intrigued by the wood choices and scale length of the RGA8 I thought it might be worth a purchase.

Cheers for the information though man, I appreciate it!
Shame to hear about your guitar though.
Kavnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 02:41 AM   #9
SS.org Regular

Elijah is just really niceElijah is just really nice
Why is it that no one has this bridge problem on the rg2228??
Elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 04:50 AM   #10

Lasik124 is a jewel in the rough
Sorry to hear all your problems. Ive heard of a lot of people having problems with the Rga8 Even a couple stories have been on this forum, Hope it all gets resolved
Lasik124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #11
ss.org Irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
Why is it that no one has this bridge problem on the rg2228??
Thats a good question
Unread 08-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

Elijah is just really niceElijah is just really nice
You think it has something to do with the wood from which the screw is popping out of? That's really the only difference between the two I can think of.
Elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #13
Behold my >8C

Sy01 is on a distinguished road
I got an RGA8 back in february, but the anchor screw on the bridge stripped itself out of the wood in one weekend. I sent it back for a refund, and now I have a new one, and the bridge problem is fixed; but my strings still rattle in much the same way that yours do. I'm thinking it might be the action or something, but I noticed the the rattling is diminished/stops entirely if I remove the locking nut. It's probably that the guitar was poorly set up, but I'm put off from adjusting it all myself, in case I damage it; not feeling confident with it after the bridge problem.
Sy01 is offline   Reply With Quote