homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Best scale length for C# below F#?

OK, I don't know what the Hell I'm thinking, but I'm considering ordering one of Tom Drinkwater's 10 string fanned beasts. I'll do C#-A, so I really need quite the range of scale length. So, ERG guys out there (and I'm looking at you, Adam!) what should be the fan? 26-30? 25-29? 26-29? I like a very guitar-like tone for the low strings, so I want to keep it long and thin-stringed on that end, but I don't want to be fussing with snapping a bunch of GG strings for the high A (I mean, I know I'll have to use them, I just don't want to be pushing it, length wise). TIA
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
All Fourths Advocate

Waelstrum is just really niceWaelstrum is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well as I recall, Adam said that the A4 string used for 25.5" scale is (basically) the same as the string used for 27" scale, with that in mind I'd go for 30-26.
Waelstrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
Army Without A Flag

All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.
26-30something (maybe 32.5" at most)

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.
All_Ľour_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'd go for a 4.5 inch fan or maybe 5 inch. 4.5 is perfectly comfortable on a 9 string (I tried fingering templates under my guitar strings). Hit up Fretfind2D and see how much you can manage. I would definately not go less than 30".
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 05:18 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

Deadseen has a spectacular aura about
Scale 30"

C1# .084" NW == 14.04#

That is not a lot of tension and way to thick string to be able to play comfortable anyway

Scale 34"

C1# .074" NW == 14.22#

That is still a big string but I guess some people can live with it.

Scale 40"

C1# .064" NW == 14.92#

That sounds more like a guitar. I tried 064 on my sevenstring and it was just at the border of turning to distorted bass instead of guitar, 068 sounded like a bass in my ears. But having a 40" sounds pretty hard to do, you would have to build some sort of therbo string or altoguitar solution then.
Deadseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadseen View Post
Scale 30"

C1# .084" NW == 14.04#

That is not a lot of tension and way to thick string to be able to play comfortable anyway

Scale 34"

C1# .074" NW == 14.22#

That is still a big string but I guess some people can live with it.

Scale 40"

C1# .064" NW == 14.92#

That sounds more like a guitar. I tried 064 on my sevenstring and it was just at the border of turning to distorted bass instead of guitar, 068 sounded like a bass in my ears. But having a 40" sounds pretty hard to do, you would have to build some sort of therbo string or altoguitar solution then.
Yeah, I think 30" is probably my limit. I want to also have a high A on it, so a 26-30" fan is likely the only solution. I was wondering if a 29" could handle the low C#, but I don't think it will, based on my experience with my 8 stringers. But now you've got me wondering what a huuuuuge fan might look like. How weird a 34-26" fan would look!
Unread 08-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

Scarpie is just really niceScarpie is just really nice
4" fans are the limit for most guitarists. Any wider of a fan and it's physically uncomfortable to play the instrument.

Good times followed by the hard times
And the good shall return and this,,,,,,
I do swear
Scarpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 11:17 PM   #8
prototyping...

Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Longer the better for the low string, and don't hesitate to mockup some extreme fans using FretFind-2D printout onto cardboard or scrap-wood.

I find 45 degree angles at the 1st fret and the highest fret to be totally acceptable.

For my taste I'd probably go 28" to 37", but no-one else can tell you what's going to be comfortable for your hands. You have to do the mockup groundwork yourself. To order a custom instrument without doing so is insanity in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpie View Post
4" fans are the limit for most guitarists. Any wider of a fan and it's physically uncomfortable to play the instrument.
I understand your intention Scarpie, but this is way too oversimplified to be helpful - it's the range of fret angles that's crucial and that depends completely on the overall specs including number of strings, string spacing at nut & bridge, then finally the ratio of lengths between the highest and lowest strings and where the straight fret is.

For example, 32" to 36" fan on a 6-string bass is pretty mild imo, but 20"-24" fan on a narrow-spaced 4-string banjo would be much more extreme and likely unplayable for most.
Durero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #9
Extended Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durero View Post
I find 45 degree angles at the 1st fret and the highest fret to be totally acceptable.

For my taste I'd probably go 28" to 37", but no-one else can tell you what's going to be comfortable for your hands. You have to do the mockup groundwork yourself. To order a custom instrument without doing so is insanity in my opinion.
Hey, thanks for the info. So are you saying, if you were getting an instrument like this, you'd do a fan from 28-37"? If that's the case, I'll completely rethink the 4" fan maximum. And thanks for the advice - I will work on the template to play around with it.

EDIT: Crap! Fretfind is down, and it says they're "reevaluating their web-hosting needs." Any other programs that perform the same function?
Unread 08-03-2010, 02:31 AM   #10
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowway View Post
Hey, thanks for the info. So are you saying, if you were getting an instrument like this, you'd do a fan from 28-37"? If that's the case, I'll completely rethink the 4" fan maximum. And thanks for the advice - I will work on the template to play around with it.

EDIT: Crap! Fretfind is down, and it says they're "reevaluating their web-hosting needs." Any other programs that perform the same function?
Fretfind is being hosted on Cigar Box. I panicked too at first
fretfind - Google Search

A few links down.

28-37" I'd say is definately ridiculous but it's up to the individual. I've found my comfortable limit to be 0.5" per string. I.e. 4" on an 8 string, 4.5" on a 9 string. So I'd go for 5" on a 10 string. (Talking guitar string spacing - not bass).
As said, string spacing needs to be considered too but this is assuming standard spacing.
Here is the fretboard for my 9 string design - 24.75"-29.25" (4.5" fan).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:39 AM   #11
prototyping...

Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.Durero is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Great post Ethereal and thanks for the new FretFind link
Durero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2010, 10:49 PM   #12
Extended Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealEntity View Post
Fretfind is being hosted on Cigar Box. I panicked too at first
fretfind - Google Search

A few links down.

28-37" I'd say is definately ridiculous but it's up to the individual. I've found my comfortable limit to be 0.5" per string. I.e. 4" on an 8 string, 4.5" on a 9 string. So I'd go for 5" on a 10 string. (Talking guitar string spacing - not bass).
As said, string spacing needs to be considered too but this is assuming standard spacing.
Here is the fretboard for my 9 string design - 24.75"-29.25" (4.5" fan).
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/5...oardpng.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Cool, thanks for that input! I'm going to check that out and see about a 5" fan and how that feels. Maybe I'll do 25.5-30.5.