homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-04-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
Advanced Prototype

Dethfield is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Using bass strings on guitar

So heres my situation. I want to try some thicker strings on my RG2228, specifically the B and F# strings. I dont intend to tune down any lower than standard, except the F# i tune down to an E (EBEADGBe). Being the impatient person that i am, i was wondering if using bass strings on guitar yields good results. I only ask this because my local guitar store only up to .52 gauge guitar strings, the only ones they have that are thicker are bass strings. Id order some proper guitar strings only, but it will take a few days to get here (impatient, i know :P).

So, anyone have any experience in this matter?
Dethfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-04-2010, 01:20 AM   #2
Formerly Lern2Swim

Ben.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
No. Don't use bass strings on a guitar. They aren't made the same and don't have the same tonal qualities.
Ben.Last is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 01:28 AM   #3
Ambiente Savante

signalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to all
dont. order the right strings for the guitar.
signalgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 07:39 AM   #4
Giant Fridge Magnet

Ishan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud of
The only bass string I'd use on a guitar would be an Elixir string, as they are made the same to, at least, .080

Current rig : Agile Intrepid Pro with Lace Aluma Deathbar pickup -> Eleven Rack + TC G-Major -> ESI Near 5 Experience
My string tension calculator STC - supports most D'addarrio and Circle K Strings
Ishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 07:42 AM   #5
Tu ne cede malis

Soopahmahn is just really niceSoopahmahn is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Are you guys serious?

Look this has been bounced around before several times - and I'll admit, I'm still confused about what the differences are - but this isn't exactly an open and shut case.

We are still talking about carbon steel cores round-wound wrapped with nickel alloys, yeah? So what's the difference between an 0.080" D'Addario XL bass guitar string and an 0.080" D'Addario XL guitar string? I'm going to be popping a bass string on to my low E to firm up from 74, so maybe I'll learn the answer to my own question...

Do bass guitar strings have thicker cores or different density wrapping?

"Every system of ethics that preached sacrifice grew into a world power and ruled millions of men."
Soopahmahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

coreysMonster is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Meshuggah use bass strings, and they sound fine to me. I don't know what everyone's problem is.
coreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
AVH
avhguitarrepair.com

AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreysMonster View Post
Meshuggah use bass strings, and they sound fine to me. I don't know what everyone's problem is.
Indeed...and they're using DR roundcore .70's to boot. I use a the same but a hex core (which will feel a bit tighter), using their patches, and it's dead on. Absolute nonsense about bass strings sounding bad. Using too large a gauge makes it sound too rounded on the pick attack and bass-like, which I think is most people's problem with the tone they get with bass strings. Use a lighter gauge, have good pick technique, and you'll get enough attack and 'djent'.
AVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
Tu ne cede malis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendroaspis View Post
Indeed...and they're using DR roundcore .70's to boot. I use a the same but a hex core (which will feel a bit tighter), using their patches, and it's dead on.
Do they use Sunbeams (nickel wrap) or Hi-Beams (stainless wrap)? According to JustStrings.com, Sunbeams are not available at 70, only 65 and 75, while Hi-Beams are available at 70, which perhaps answers my questions.

What do you use? Which type do you think would match best with nickel-wrap guitar strings?

You just made me realize that I could be using one of these strings at a lighter gauge than 0.080 to hit the drop E tuning, because a round core will provide more tension than a hex core (assuming equal core:wrap ratio).

EDIT: 250th post!

"Every system of ethics that preached sacrifice grew into a world power and ruled millions of men."
Unread 05-04-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
AVH
avhguitarrepair.com

AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.AVH is his own personal hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soopahmahn View Post
Do they use Sunbeams (nickel wrap) or Hi-Beams (stainless wrap)? According to JustStrings.com, Sunbeams are not available at 70, only 65 and 75, while Hi-Beams are available at 70, which perhaps answers my questions.

What do you use? Which type do you think would match best with nickel-wrap guitar strings?

You just made me realize that I could be using one of these strings at a lighter gauge than 0.080 to hit the drop E tuning, because a round core will provide more tension than a hex core (assuming equal core:wrap ratio).

EDIT: 250th post!
Nickle wrap .70 to match the the Tite-Fit guitar strings, which they get by the boxload directly from DR as they're endorsed by them. I'm using normal D'Addario 9-54 + .70 nickle wrap bass string on a 30" scale. Actually you have that backwards; Hex core strings have more inherent tension than round core. Stainless wrap will sound brighter, but is harder on frets in the long run. I tried the exact same DR's, but there was something about the round core feel I didn't care for, and as a repair tech in a busy store, I see far too many intonation issues with DR round core strings from weird winding inconsistencies, particularly with D strings for some strange reason.
Each to their own.
Unread 05-04-2010, 11:50 AM   #10
Advanced Prototype

thanx for the input guys. I think i might just try a bass string, probably a .072 (RG2228 factory string gauge is .065 for the F#). Ill let you guys know how it turns out.
Unread 05-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

777timesgod has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Tried bass strings once or twice and i am still alive.

I think this one goes down to the brand and player's feel more than to a technical side. Who knows the guys against using bass strings might be right.
777timesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

avenger is a jewel in the rough
I used a 72 bass string and it was fine, a little bit muddy but that could be shitty ibanez pickups aswell! The string felt fine other then being larger then normal.
avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #13
Tu ne cede malis

Quote:
Actually you have that backwards; Hex core strings have more inherent tension than round core.
Thanks for correcting me and making my 250-post fail

So does anyone know the difference between "equivalent" bass and guitar strings? That's the real question here. If there's no difference other than the length to which they're cut, then there's no difference.

Unread 05-04-2010, 12:29 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

coreysMonster is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Indeed...and they're using DR roundcore .70's to boot. I use a the same but a hex core (which will feel a bit tighter), using their patches, and it's dead on. Absolute nonsense about bass strings sounding bad. Using too large a gauge makes it sound too rounded on the pick attack and bass-like, which I think is most people's problem with the tone they get with bass strings. Use a lighter gauge, have good pick technique, and you'll get enough attack and 'djent'.
+100

I'm sporting a .72 bass string for my low F on my 28" Agile, but it's just not quite tight enough for fast chugging as stuff. I'll have a look at those DR hex cores.
coreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #15
Tu ne cede malis

Maybe even up it to 75?

Unread 05-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #16
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
Dendroaspis here gave me a couple .75 strings (dŽaddario) to try out when i had my 28" scale baritone 6 string. it was absolutely awesome, and both felt and sounded perfect. worked really well with the guitar strings, really. bass strings are made for lower pitches and tighter low end etc, and so if you get a bright sounding bass string, youŽll get that meshuggah-like djenty/quacky type sound. i tried a .74 guitar string (also dŽaddario) on the 30" scale intrepid, and it too sounded good. so honestly, both will sound good. donŽt choose one over the other "just because". the only reason iŽd rather use a guitar string rather than a guitar string, is the size of the ball end. who knows, maybe that really is the only real difference?

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #17
Advanced Prototype

Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_Kitten View Post
Dendroaspis here gave me a couple .75 strings (dŽaddario) to try out when i had my 28" scale baritone 6 string. it was absolutely awesome, and both felt and sounded perfect. worked really well with the guitar strings, really. bass strings are made for lower pitches and tighter low end etc, and so if you get a bright sounding bass string, youŽll get that meshuggah-like djenty/quacky type sound. i tried a .74 guitar string (also dŽaddario) on the 30" scale intrepid, and it too sounded good. so honestly, both will sound good. donŽt choose one over the other "just because". the only reason iŽd rather use a guitar string rather than a guitar string, is the size of the ball end. who knows, maybe that really is the only real difference?

Thats a good point. I havent changed the strings on my RG2228 yet, and havent done any reading... do you have to cut the ball ends off when restringing an RG2228?
Unread 05-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #18
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethfield View Post
Thats a good point. I havent changed the strings on my RG2228 yet, and havent done any reading... do you have to cut the ball ends off when restringing an RG2228?
yep, you do have to cut the ball ends off. in other words, the ball end size difference is non-existant if you use a 2228. you can use whatever you want.

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 05:54 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

Stan P is a jewel in the rough
They work ...

I have used Dadario 75 on 25.5 tuned to low G and Newtone round core down to A - both with good result.

Dadario is boomy on upper frets but that must be my scale length
Stan P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #20
Tu ne cede malis

All this talk of cutting balls makes me wanna...

So nobody has come up with a material reason to explain if/how bass strings are any different than guitar strings?

Unread 05-04-2010, 11:41 PM   #21
Formerly Lern2Swim

Ben.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Do search on the forum for "bass string" and plenty of discussions will come up. One thing that I see stated numerous times is that bass strings get a second winding at a lower gauge than guitar strings do. So, for example, a D'addario .070 guitar string may be single wound but a D'addario .070 may be double wound. This would give them different tonal qualities.
Ben.Last is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 12:24 AM   #22
ss.org Regular

Maharaj is on a distinguished road
use what sounds good. all questions answered.
Maharaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 12:51 AM   #23
Sir Paul of the Mosh

drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreysMonster View Post
they wouldn't do that if there were guitar strings long enough to fit their huge scale guitars
drmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 02:36 AM   #24
The GAS Man

Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 105 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lern2swim View Post
No. Don't use bass strings on a guitar. They aren't made the same and don't have the same tonal qualities.
We're talking about tuning a guitar DOWN to E, and you're advising based on tonal properties?

If anything, bass strings are made to sound clear at bass E, so you're likely to enjoy the way they sound on a guitar tuned that low.
Adam Of Angels is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 07:39 AM   #25
AVH
avhguitarrepair.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lern2swim View Post
a D'addario .070 guitar string may be single wound but a D'addario .070 may be double wound.
This is essentially correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmosh View Post
they wouldn't do that if there were guitar strings long enough to fit their huge scale guitars
The rest of the strings on those guitars ARE guitar strings, it has nothing to do with the length of the string, which have no problem fitting, it has to do with gauge and what's available. The ball ends are cut off anyways, large or small...

And never make presumptions about what people would or wouldn't do - you don't know what they'd think, really.