homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Extended Range Guitars
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Extended Range Guitars Welcome to everyone from ERG.com. Eight, Nine, Baritone and beyond discussion here.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-24-2009, 01:22 AM   #1
\m/-_-\m/

thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Drop tunings on an 8 string

what would it be for drop f# and drop G....im def curious to know as im interested in an 8 and those would be tunings i might play

HEISENBERG- Long Island DeathSlam www.facebook.com/heisenbergny
Our debut record is available now!www.heisenbergny.bandcamp.com
thrsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-24-2009, 01:29 AM   #2
Ambiente Savante

signalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
buy a bass.

j/k

drop E i guess or Drop D
signalgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 01:39 AM   #3
SS.org Regular

Deadseen has a spectacular aura about
With the right strings you could probably tune it to drop F#. But standard tuning on a 8-string is F# standard, so drop would then be Drop E (one octave under a normal 6-string)
Deadseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 01:50 AM   #4
Banned

Variant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himself
What octave range are you talking about? E1 is very doable on the RG2228's 27.0" scale, I couldn't keep much in focus below that. More to do with tonality than tension. I regularly tune to D1 on my Steinberger Synapse ST2-FPA baritone (28 5/8") with an .080, and lower with large bass strings.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
The Nocturnal Chaos

Daemon is a jewel in the rough
Drop E !

Because :

--------------E | - B - | E - - A - - D - - G - - B - - E
-------| 8 drop | 7 std | - - SIX STRINGS STANDARD - - |

for me it's the most interesting to do...
Nykur_Myrkvi and Wrecklyss like this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

THE NOCTURNAL CHAOS :

www.thenocturnalchaos.com/
Facebook
Daemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
i love me some drop E myself
Ganjatron likes this.

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
Only plays 1 string

Valserp is a glorious beacon of lightValserp is a glorious beacon of lightValserp is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I've been wanting to buy an 8 for the sole reason of trying D A D A D G B E.
I love me some Drop-D
Matt11768 likes this.
Valserp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
WTFCAKES

omgmjgg is a glorious beacon of lightomgmjgg is a glorious beacon of lightomgmjgg is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I'm playing in a variation of an E tuning, but I've went as low as D on my 8th and it wasn't to terrible.

"from 2:08 - 2:30 i had goosebumps from 3:01 - 3:27 i wanted to punch the balls off of myself and kick my own teeth out."

this made me el oh el
omgmjgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 11:40 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrsher View Post
what would it be for drop f# and drop G....im def curious to know as im interested in an 8 and those would be tunings i might play
Drop F# would be F# C# F# B E A C# F#

Drop G would be G D G C F Bb D G

More or less you would be tuning your guitar up 2 (F#) or 3 (G) half steps then adding two low strings and dropping the lowest string.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 12:25 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

guitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i would definitely drop E, because then you'd be able to base your music around lots of chords using open strings. One example of drop E i'm sure everyone is familiar with. and I used to hate drop tunings before i realized how much easier writing songs in A minor was than B minor (using lots of open strings/chords). Hmm then again I just realized that E minor has an F# in it (so the F# would in fact be in the key). Then again though, it wouldn't be the tonic, though you could write some cool shit based around F# mixolydian

now with djent (album version)

guitarplayerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #11
AEADGBEA

Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Trespass is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarplayerone View Post
. Then again though, it wouldn't be the tonic, though you could write some cool shit based around F# mixolydian
Assuming E Aeolian, it would be F# locrian.
Konfyouzd likes this.

Pseudo-Jazz Sophisticate
-The 7 and ERG Chord Melody [Jazz] Thread-
"If Stravinsky's music is that of the Earth, then Meshuggah's music is that of the Machine"

Teaching
Guitar-Piano Technique/Theory/Jazz & Classical University Prep

Ossington & Bloor area in Toronto.
I now do Sykpe lessons - Inquire via PM!
Trespass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 06:48 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

alex103188 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trespass View Post
Assuming E Aeolian, it would be F# locrian.
alex103188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
Overlord of Music

screamindaemon has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Drop E !

Because :

--------------E | - B - | E - - A - - D - - G - - B - - E
-------| 8 drop | 7 std | - - SIX STRINGS STANDARD - - |

for me it's the most interesting to do...
I agree completely. It only makes sense in my mind to use drop E. That's the first thing that came to me head.

Out of curiosity, is the bottom E of this tuning equivalent to the top string of a bass?

Originally Posted by Djpharoah
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMM
Wait, Jesus plays an Ibanez?

Obviously - he only plays the best.
screamindaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 12:49 PM   #14
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamindaemon View Post
I agree completely. It only makes sense in my mind to use drop E. That's the first thing that came to me head.

Out of curiosity, is the bottom E of this tuning equivalent to the top string of a bass?
Not sure if you mean top or bottom - I think of it as bottom. Yes - drop E on an 8 string is the same as the lowest string of a normal bass.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #15
Loves his Q-tuners

Cheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamindaemon View Post

Yes its the same low E on a standard tuned bass, just E 1 octave down.
Cheesebuiscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #16
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Lowest I've heard someone get good results on an 8 string drop tuning is Bb I think.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #17
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiregenocide View Post
Lowest I've heard someone get good results on an 8 string drop tuning is Bb I think.
Like a 5 string bass? Jesus
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #18
Carpe Diem

Sponge is just really niceSponge is just really nice
Drop E is pretty nice sounding and you can always double up and practice with other favorite songs to ge ta good feel of it.

I've got the Intrepid at DGDGDGBE and it'll stay at this tuning. Nice open tuning style for the lower strings and doubling up on octaves for more of the wall of sound type effect, and the standard on the highs so that higher pitched leads are in standard.

Hey, even though its ultra corny and ridiculous, I like watching Finding Bigfoot. At least there is nice scenery. Even Renee is a 7/10 in cottage country.
Sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 02:11 AM   #19
WTFCAKES

omgmjgg is a glorious beacon of lightomgmjgg is a glorious beacon of lightomgmjgg is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge View Post
Drop E is pretty nice sounding and you can always double up and practice with other favorite songs to ge ta good feel of it.

I've got the Intrepid at DGDGDGBE and it'll stay at this tuning. Nice open tuning style for the lower strings and doubling up on octaves for more of the wall of sound type effect, and the standard on the highs so that higher pitched leads are in standard.
that is an interesting tuning, I want to try it out now

"from 2:08 - 2:30 i had goosebumps from 3:01 - 3:27 i wanted to punch the balls off of myself and kick my own teeth out."

this made me el oh el
omgmjgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #20
ss.org Regular

JacksonKE2Shred is just really niceJacksonKE2Shred is just really nice
Could you use string with a 27 inch scale for drop e with out it being a total mess?
JacksonKE2Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #21
Overlord of Music

screamindaemon has a spectacular aura about
With a .80 guage string (thickest guitar string typically found) you could get it to work, though you would have much less tension (14.4 pounds as compared to 16+ pounds on the rest of the strings. But it would suffice.

You can get thicker guitar strings or bass strings to offset the tension issue though.

I went through this thought process too, but I opted for the 28.625 length to get an even tension across the fretboard.

Originally Posted by Djpharoah
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMM
Wait, Jesus plays an Ibanez?

Obviously - he only plays the best.
screamindaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 12:30 AM   #22
Nick

AATTWDIS is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
I think I like it B standard with a Drop E OR Drop G# with a low D#.
AATTWDIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 08:12 AM   #23
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Dead By April use drop G on an 8 string.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2010, 08:16 AM   #24

Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampiregenocide View Post
Dead By April use drop G on an 8 string.
That wouldn't be dropped that would be tuned up a half - step.

Have a question about The Gospel or prayer request, PM me. Happy to help and God Bless!

Band: www.facebook.com/whisperfromheaven
For fans of Melodic-Metal.

"Once you have entered the Ocean... You have entered the food chain." - Dad
Xiphos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 01:04 AM   #25
ss.org Regular

JettL is on a distinguished road
hey i play six string in CGCFAD how could i use that tuning in 8 string form
JettL is offline   Reply With Quote