homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Drums & Percussion
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Drums & Percussion Drums, programming and all other percussion related discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-22-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Drum question:

Okay, so here's what i want to know.

Say, you download a midi of a song that has drums. Can you take some sort of program that uses drum samples, and then Import said midi into that program, and then use the midi instruction to cue certain samples, thus making an acoustic sounding drum track from a midi sound file?

If so, which programs are best for this/Easiest to use?

Thanks
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
Banned

DSS3 is just really niceDSS3 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yes. Drumkit From Hell, Battery2 as a sample trigger, BFD, Fruity Loops IIRC, etc.
DSS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
BFD?
Unread 04-22-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
Banned

DSS3 is just really niceDSS3 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Forget what it stands for, but it sucks LOL.
DSS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2006, 04:51 PM   #5
ss.org Regular

smueske is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
It depends on the MIDI file. The quick answer is yes, you need something that is a sampler (whether a pre-configured sampler such as Battery, BFD, DKFHS) or something that triggers samples. You'd want to know, though, what the key mappings are, whether it's general MIDI or for some specific kit. If its generic, its probably general MIDI. Most sequencing software supports general MIDI -- you'd just have to go into the drum manager (or whatever your software calls it) and map keys to the samples.
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2006, 05:34 PM   #6
Hates the Air

I've actually been putting midis into Fruity loops for a while now for messing around with jam tracks and whatnot..

BUT! Perhaps you could answer a question.
In fruity loops, im using NS Kit 7 Free for the drum sounds.. is there anyway to adjust the way they come through? Cause the crash cymbal is WAY too ....ing high in the mix and when it gets used, it drowns EVERYTHING out.. if i could pull it back it would be great.. well.. better than midi. but still.
Unread 11-18-2006, 03:43 PM   #7
ss.org Regular

smueske is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The easiest way would be to see what maps to that pad in the program. I don't have it so I don't know. Alternatively, you could look at the midi track and see what note triggers the crash and then change the velocity levels of those hits.
smueske is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2006, 11:51 PM   #8
Sign Your Neg Rep Posts!

Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.Jason can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Not sure but what about drumagog?

"I wish TV had a knob so you could turn up the intelligence. The one marked Brightness doesn't work."

Gallagher
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2006, 04:45 AM   #9
Ken

Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.Ken is deemed true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Ken View Post
I've actually been putting midis into Fruity loops for a while now for messing around with jam tracks and whatnot..

In fruity loops, im using NS Kit 7 Free for the drum sounds.. is there anyway to adjust the way they come through? Cause the crash cymbal is WAY too ....ing high in the mix and when it gets used, it drowns EVERYTHING out.. if i could pull it back it would be great.. well.. better than midi. but still.
I'm SO old school when it comes to MIDI. I still use a Korg M-1 as a sequencer, which sends MIDI data to an Alesis D4 drum sound module.

Now, when I sequence drums or keyboards, I have Velocity as an option. If you can find this option, you should be able to tame your Crash cymbal down.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2006, 09:46 AM   #10
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Ken View Post

Ken, I'm assuming that the midi still flows through the individual track sample modules - if that's the case, there's two knobs, one for volume and one for pan. Of course, I've never used FL for midi, so it's brobably like 87% harder than it should be and you can't do it this way, but that's where I'd start...

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote