homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Drums & Percussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Drums & Percussion Drums, programming and all other percussion related discussion here.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By toothbrush

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

toothbrush is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sonor drums in action

Here's a few drum vids for fun, any critique and/or feedback is appreciated. Thank you

growthmusic57 - YouTube
toothbrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

Epyon6 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hey man, you should really adjust your throne or raise your drums, Your leaning over ALOT and it'll really mess up your back, gotta sit up straight it'll also help with breathing, so says lord Derek Roddy lol. Also your left hand looks a little stiff and your raising your stick pretty high as well when you can get the same amount of power from your wrist and will be able to get a quicker hit from your wrist rather then your arm and also you seem to be hitting with the body of the stick especially on your second hats maybe try to hit more on the shoulder. Sorry if sound like a dick and im picking you apart but just like to help people with what I know and learned over the years, otherwise great drumming your pretty well coordinated.
Epyon6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Techdethdrummer, I fully appreciate the advice. It's good to get specific feedback like that and I do really appreciate you taking the time to give me such feedback.

I do tend to lean forward too much. I feel like I lean forward when playing double bass parts, but have struggled to fix this for quite some time now. I'm gonna lower my drum seat to see if this will help. But yeah, thanks for checking out the vids!
Unread 06-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

Epyon6 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by toothbrush View Post
Techdethdrummer, I fully appreciate the advice. It's good to get specific feedback like that and I do really appreciate you taking the time to give me such feedback.

I do tend to lean forward too much. I feel like I lean forward when playing double bass parts, but have struggled to fix this for quite some time now. I'm gonna lower my drum seat to see if this will help. But yeah, thanks for checking out the vids!

No problem man, Idk if your using a bicycle seat throne, but that helped keep my ass in my throne for stability lol.
Epyon6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
OMNIHILITY

ShadowFactoryX is just really niceShadowFactoryX is just really nice
Solid drumming man!, but... i gotta agree , it was like physically discomforting to watch you play like that lol

i'd say work something out with your setup, it seems to me like you're turned to the left a bit too much, maybe move your rack toms to the left some more and center your snare in the middle of them and sit a little closer to the snare.
try and find a nice medium, balance has a huge part to play in your drumming, especially double bass
it also seems like your crashes are really high up there, and your ride is really far out on the right

honestly the best thing to do would be take everything down, set your throne up then set your bass drum WHERE YOU FEEL MOST COMFORTABLE WITH IT USING YOUR TECHNIQUE, not exerting yourself beyond a comfort zone has huge benefits
if you're not comfortable playing your bass drum, or struggle with it, its a sign to readjust
once you got that down, put your snare out, and get comfortable with it
Rack Toms
Floor Toms
Cymbals

If you center your kit around comforbility, you'll not only notice yourself playing better, but you'll avoid injuries which is always a plus!

Also: Sonor rocks!
What are the specs on your kit?

I currently got a Force 3007 and it sounds killer!

I like my guitar tone like I like my women, perfect rounded bottom end, cut in the mid section, heavy on the top end, and super tight.

Omnium - Atmospheric/Trance/Ambient
ShadowFactoryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
On vacation

drgordonfreeman is a name known to alldrgordonfreeman is a name known to alldrgordonfreeman is a name known to alldrgordonfreeman is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
@ 0:40

drgordonfreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
No like the floppy

Floppystrings is just really niceFloppystrings is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Pretty solid drumming.

As for leaning forward, put a little less tension of the springs and raise the throne, you want to float kinda and not "push" into the drum. That seemed to help me a bit.

I do it sometimes, especially at around 210 or anything under 230, after that I raise my heels to go faster and don't hit as hard so I am actually more relaxed.
Floppystrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

ShadowFactoryX, thank you for your feedback! It's extremely helpful and means a lot. When I set up my drums, I did do it in the order you suggested (throne, bass drum, snare, toms, cymbals, etc.), but seem to have set everything up too far away from me. The cymbals are high, and like Techdethdrummer said, my throne seems to be too high as well. I think the common theme here is that my back is going to snap/pull/break by the time I'm 30 if I keep my kit set up as it currently is. Haha.

Idk, I feel like when I lean forward when playing heavy double bass parts I get more power into my strokes. Obviously, this isn't desirable technique, and I've read multiple times that this can lead to injury, so I am trying to make this adjustment and improve my position & technique. My kit is a Sonor Red Tribal SQ2 (purchased in 2010). 8", 10", & 12" rack toms. 16" & 18" floor toms. 14x7 snare, and 22x18 bass drum. Meinl cymbals. Needless to say, I am extremely fortunate to own such an incredible kit. That's excellent to hear that you play Sonor as well, and are enjoying your Force 3007! Awesome indeed.

Floppystrings, I do have the springs on my pedals pretty damn tight. I'll loosen them like you're suggesting, and hopefully this will cut down on my tendency to push into the bass drum. Thank you for your insight.

drgordonfreeman, glad you dig that part! Anyway, thanks guys. It's excellent to get such detailed feedback. I appreciate you all checking out the videos!
ShadowFactoryX likes this.