homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Drums & Percussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Drums & Percussion Drums, programming and all other percussion related discussion here.

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

Lethe is a glorious beacon of lightLethe is a glorious beacon of lightLethe is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are expensive pedals worth it?

so I've been playing on and off for about a year now, still in many ways a rookie, starting out with a cheap double pedal.

I was wondering if I should bite the bullet now and buy one of those direct drive pedals (Demon Drive, Axis, Trick...) to have an easier time getting fast or if it's better to wait for a while and develop my chops first, then get the pedal.

I know I still have to do the practice work with any pedal, but will I have an easier time getting good with one of those top-of-the-line pedals?
Lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
Ibanez Fanboy

amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
OOps, I started to respond then realised I have no idea. As you were.
amonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
not quite a shredder

VBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm a closet drummer, learned over the years by jammin on the drummer's kit in any band i've been in. I can always tell the difference between a good double bass set up. There are some that feel much better than others to me, much easier to enforce my will on the drums, if that makes sense, so i think it makes a pretty big difference. That's all i got for ya, hopefully a real drummer can tell you some specifics.

Ibanez ARZ307, ICEMAN IC400, RG921F-BK
Frknstrt of Doom, MIM FSR Strat
POD HD Pro, Mesa 50/50, Recto 2x12,1x12,Theile
Randall RD20 Diavlo + V30 1x12
VBCheeseGrater is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #4
ss.org Regular

Kerosian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
so I've been playing on and off for about a year now, still in many ways a rookie, starting out with a cheap double pedal.

I was wondering if I should bite the bullet now and buy one of those direct drive pedals (Demon Drive, Axis, Trick...) to have an easier time getting fast or if it's better to wait for a while and develop my chops first, then get the pedal.

I know I still have to do the practice work with any pedal, but will I have an easier time getting good with one of those top-of-the-line pedals?
If you want to get better faster, I recommend getting a nice direct drive pedal. They really are worth the money, but make sure you really want to stick with drumming before throwing down 500+ on a pedal. I have Trick Dominator's myself and I can tell you they are worth every penny.
iron blast, Razzy and Epyon6 like this.
Kerosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
SSBRO.org regular

CYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to beholdCYBERSYN is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Find the pedals that are most comfortable to use, then...

Practice your testicles off.

Metronome is a drummers best friend
rawrkunjrawr likes this.

Make a rule where, who ever messes up gets punched in the face.

That is how I run my solo project. - Floppystrings

Search this site by going to Google and adding site:sevenstring.org after your search word!
CYBERSYN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
is really Sasquatch.

AngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to beholdAngstRiddenDreams is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
In my opinion, the really really expensive pedals are only a bit better than the midrange ones. For instance, my Pearl Eliminator 2002 Belt Drive is almost as nice as the Demon Drive.
Just my personal opinion.

I just wasted your time.
AngstRiddenDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 03:03 AM   #7
Banned

ZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I LOVE MY DEMON DRIVES!
ZEBOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 03:12 AM   #8
ss.org Regular

Lethe is a glorious beacon of lightLethe is a glorious beacon of lightLethe is a glorious beacon of light
Interesting. I'm watching a used 2002C and might pull the trigger on that one, but If spending more and getting a Demon Drive will put me at a significant advantage, I might do it.

Anyone have any experience with the two?

I'm not buying pedals every year, so if you look at it as like a 5-year investment, it's not that expensive compared to what I spend on cigarettes.
Unread 05-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #9
SS.org Regular

xeonblade is a jewel in the rough
Get Demon Drive, never change a pedal (unless you hate it)
xeonblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

Maniacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to all
I hated demon drives, just didnt feel good for me. I use speed cobras and longboards now.

Mainly speed cobras.

Books, posters, play along lessons and apps!

I teach on Skype - PM me for details

http://www.shredtraining.com

Please subscribe to my YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/shredtraining
Maniacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #11
Duh-Jent

CTID is a jewel in the rough
First thing you should do is go to a music store and actually try a variety of pedals to see which you find the most comfortable.

Also with bass pedals once you hit the $300+ mark you're pretty much using what pros use and it comes down to feel. Yeah, Demon Drives might be great, but there's diminishing returns with pedals once you hit $300. Sure, Demon Drive's are great pedals but are they twice as good as Iron Cobras, enough to be twice the price? That's entirely up to how you feel about them. Things like that really need to go into your determination of what to buy.
CTID is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
OMNIHILITY

ShadowFactoryX is just really niceShadowFactoryX is just really nice
if you have a technique that works for you, and you've got it down, invest in some good pedals to help
make sure you try them out first though

I like my guitar tone like I like my women, perfect rounded bottom end, cut in the mid section, heavy on the top end, and super tight.

Omnium - Atmospheric/Trance/Ambient
ShadowFactoryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #13
The Optimist Prime.

GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/GuitaristOfHell is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Depends on the tone you want. I'm extremely happy with my MXR Zak Wylde OD that I traded my TS9 for.
Nitsuj and Aevolve like this.

If You're selling a Gibson Explorer PM Me!

Proud gear owner of:
Schecter V-1 ATX with passive duncans
Takamine EG 431 SC (something like that)
1994 Peavey bandit 112 combo/ head
Hughes and Kettner 4x12
Boss GT8
MXR ZW OD and that's all folks!
GuitaristOfHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #14
[10]

Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerosian View Post
If you want to get better faster, I recommend getting a nice direct drive pedal. They really are worth the money, but make sure you really want to stick with drumming before throwing down 500+ on a pedal. I have Trick Dominator's myself and I can tell you they are worth every penny.
I've always been a big fan of the Trick Dominators as well.

The tension adjustment dial is absolutely genius, and they're indestructible.
Kerosian likes this.

Carvin DC800 -> Pod HD Pro -> Rocktron Velocity 300 -> Mesa Rectifier 4x12
Razzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
not quite a shredder

VBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitaristOfHell View Post
Depends on the tone you want. I'm extremely happy with my MXR Zak Wylde OD that I traded my TS9 for.
I guess you can hit a bass drum with a guitar pedal, just weld them to the hammer shafts.
Necris likes this.

Ibanez ARZ307, ICEMAN IC400, RG921F-BK
Frknstrt of Doom, MIM FSR Strat
POD HD Pro, Mesa 50/50, Recto 2x12,1x12,Theile
Randall RD20 Diavlo + V30 1x12
VBCheeseGrater is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 03:13 AM   #16
ss.org Regular

The thing to remember is that 9V batteries don't like the constant vibration and tend to fail in such circumstances. Pedals that are welded to a beater should be driven by a DC adapter. This will also cut down on weight and allow for faster playing.

Anyways, I guess I will get the used 2002c, grow familiar with it, then try out a demon drive in a shop and see if it's an improvement.

Thanks for the advice, guys!
VBCheeseGrater likes this.
Unread 05-09-2012, 10:22 AM   #17
OMNIHILITY

ShadowFactoryX is just really niceShadowFactoryX is just really nice
eliminators are a great place to start
generally affordable, and definitely within the "pro" confines

I like my guitar tone like I like my women, perfect rounded bottom end, cut in the mid section, heavy on the top end, and super tight.

Omnium - Atmospheric/Trance/Ambient
ShadowFactoryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #18
Murder Machine

Sepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of lightSepultorture is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTID View Post
First thing you should do is go to a music store and actually try a variety of pedals to see which you find the most comfortable.
^THIS

your one best bet is to go try out which one is most to your liking, then bring it home and tweak it to your liking

personally i liked the demon drives as they weren't to light or heavy in feel and response, that and their adjustable as hell. from long to standard board length, soft, medium and hard drive adjustments, spring tension adjustment, goes on and on.

only thing i did different with that pedal was ad a sonic hammer from Axis pedals for each pedal. beater height adjustment is all well and good, but i also like having beater head length adjustments as well. it's more options to play with, but you can find your comfort zone in time.

but still, go to your nearest shop and try out as many pedals as possible, even if you have to drive a distance to get to a place that has all the pedals you want to try

BEARDS: They Instantly Turn Any Man Into A Badass, It's Like Having Machine Guns On Your Face
Sepultorture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #19
Dedicated Chiller

Zeetwig is a jewel in the rough
I wouldn't say that direct drive pedals are a necessity for playing fast. I use speed cobras and I am currently at 220-230 BMP 16th notes (sometimes more, sometimes less). The thing with direct drives is that they are very powerless IMO. A chain will always give you more of a punch than direct drives (IMO). However, as people say: try a lot of pedals! What works for me or someone else might not work for you! Remember this!

Also, getting a high-end pedal will give you more setup options, and the quality will probably be better, so it is definitely worth it! However, BMP-wise a high-end pedal might add just around 10-30 BPM, so if you want to get fast technique is the answer, not the gear.

Another thing you might consider is that a double pedal will slow down the slave foot (if you have a right footed double pedal then the left is the slave foot). I am just about to change from a speed cobra double to 2 single speed cobras and 2 bass drums, since my left foot has to work much harder due to the lag in the slave pedal. This won't affect you at first, but as you play more and more, the pedal gets older and you get faster the more and more annoying this will get.

I study geology cause now I hang out with people that like rock ^^
It turns out most of them like metal though... Even better!
Zeetwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #20
Yes, pancakes.

simulclass83 is just really nicesimulclass83 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
To answer your question:
According to my drummer, yes.
simulclass83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2012, 05:13 PM   #21
Northern Winds

iron blast is a jewel in the rough
You need to get what feels the most comfortable to you. Cost shouldn't be a concern if you want to be fast practice your arse off with a drumometer and metronome on a practice pad even if need be. The need for direct drive isnt as important as having a zero backlash linkage to help defeat lag on the auxilary pedal. I personally think the trick dominator and pro1v/bigfoot pedals are the end all and Ive had ample time playing the Pearl demon drive, Camco's, Ludwig speed kings, Axis longboards, Tama iron cobras, Pearl Eliminators, yamaha flying dragons, DW 9000's, Dw 5000's, and pdp boa's ect. it all comes down to personal preference in the end pick what is most comfortable.

Bassist in the Symphonic Black Metal band "Ethereal Blood"
https://www.facebook.com/EtherealBlo...p_178091127385
iron blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #22
SS.org Regular

Weimat01 will become famous soon enough
I upgraded to trick bigfoot pedals from some cheap dixon ones, but as awesome as the trick pedals are I wouldn't say that they made me any better at playing or made it suddenly easier to play in time. I reckon they would make more of a difference for an advanced player than a beginner, as they feel a bit more effortless and responsive than chain driven pedals but you got to be able to play in the first place. If you got the money i'd buy the trick pedals as they are the best pedals you can get imo, but I just wouldn't expect any miracles. They come from practicing.
iron blast and Lethe like this.
Weimat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #23
ss.org Regular

iPotato12 is on a distinguished road
You could ask 100 different drummers what pedal they prefer, and you'll probably get 100 different answers, hah. One person could tell you Demon Drives are the best, then another could tell you they're terrible. It's all about you, others opinions won't get you anywhere.
Go to a store and try out every single pedal there. Don't think about price, just feel.
iPotato12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #24
ss.org Regular

iPotato12 is on a distinguished road
You could ask 100 different drummers what pedal they prefer, and you'll probably get 100 different answers, hah. One person could tell you Demon Drives are the best, then another could tell you they're terrible. It's all about you, others opinions won't get you anywhere.
Go to a store and try out every single pedal there. Don't think about price, just feel.
iPotato12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #25
Augminished Studio

Augminished is a glorious beacon of lightAugminished is a glorious beacon of lightAugminished is a glorious beacon of light
I use a set of speed cobras in my studio. Most drummers come in and love them.
Zeetwig likes this.

Check out my Facebook: Augminished-Studio

Augminished is offline   Reply With Quote