homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Drums & Percussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Drums & Percussion Drums, programming and all other percussion related discussion here.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By EtherealEntity
  • 1 Post By EtherealEntity
  • 1 Post By Superwoodle
  • 1 Post By Superwoodle
  • 1 Post By danieluber1337

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Infamous Impact is just really niceInfamous Impact is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help learning drum programming?

So I've been writing some songs in TuxGuitar and decided to add in drums. I looked up the notes for writing drums with it and the parts of a drumkit and made up some stuff on it. The tab in the link is basically all I know about drumming, can I get a few pointers on programming drums?

treasonous dance.gp5

"...When they find out you have more than the standard number of strings... It's like you're the ....in' highlander or something..."
Infamous Impact is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-18-2011, 03:05 AM   #2
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'd love to look at it in GP5 but the drum track opens as a piano and the info is not pastable to a new percussion track. Can you export a MIDI instead?

EDIT: Ignore that, I should've tried playing it back first as it works fine I'll reply in a moment.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 03:36 AM   #3
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Starting from the back -

The blastbeat is ok. I tend to put the snare on the beat too, as discussed in a thread called 'Blastbeats and note values' which you may want to read. However, if you're going to do that - put the cymbal with the snare.
Either that or delete the first snare so your kick is on the beat with the cymbal.
The fill at the end is fine.

Double bass beat - Fine, but vary it up. Perhaps not a cymbal every bar/different cymbals. Some small fills, snare ghost notes etc. A fill before the blastbeat.

Intro beat -
Now I'm not sure if you intended this to be a beat, or a build up before the main beat comes in.
If you wanted it as a beat - the lack of a kickdrum makes it really strange. Add the kick and once again vary it up a little (the repeating cymbal pattern gets annoying).

If you wanted it as a filler, it's far too consitant. Listen to As I Am by Dream Theater and look at the tab for a good idea on filler drums. Play around with velocities for snare and cymbal rolls etc, leave more gaps, less patterns
Infamous Impact likes this.
Unread 07-18-2011, 07:47 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealEntity View Post
Starting from the back -

The blastbeat is ok. I tend to put the snare on the beat too, as discussed in a thread called 'Blastbeats and note values' which you may want to read. However, if you're going to do that - put the cymbal with the snare.
Either that or delete the first snare so your kick is on the beat with the cymbal.
The fill at the end is fine.

Double bass beat - Fine, but vary it up. Perhaps not a cymbal every bar/different cymbals. Some small fills, snare ghost notes etc. A fill before the blastbeat.

Intro beat -
Now I'm not sure if you intended this to be a beat, or a build up before the main beat comes in.
If you wanted it as a beat - the lack of a kickdrum makes it really strange. Add the kick and once again vary it up a little (the repeating cymbal pattern gets annoying).

If you wanted it as a filler, it's far too consitant. Listen to As I Am by Dream Theater and look at the tab for a good idea on filler drums. Play around with velocities for snare and cymbal rolls etc, leave more gaps, less patterns
Thanks a ton! I edited up a bit, and while it's not too different, I took your advice and tried varying it up. Also, I had no idea how blast beats worked, I just wrote it by ear. I think I prefer the cymbal on the beat now. I'm not sure how much is good enough, but this is what I have so far.
treasonous dance2.gp5
Also, I'm working on another song, but I'm not sure how to work with 3/4 time on drums. Any tip?
ph3.gp5

"...When they find out you have more than the standard number of strings... It's like you're the ....in' highlander or something..."
Unread 07-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
Needs more strings

Much better! I like it
I like that you matched up the bass drums to the guitar at bar 27 now. I was going to say before, how I've often found in a mix that the snare doesn't usually sound quite as good with a kick drum at the same time. I avoided saying it though, because it's not unusual at all to hit the kick and snare at the same time on double bass beats like you had before (and now have at bar 33). Constant kicks are pretty normal and usually don't drop out for the snare.
However, now you've changed the kicks to a rhythmic pattern, I'd suggest removing the kick from under the snare on bars 27-32

3/4 time on drums...well, as with any time signature, the signature doesn't by any means define the rhythm.
If you have any rhythmic sense (which you definitely do), you'll probably know where you feel the accents already. It's just a case of trial and error when you begin to write drums, to realise where it should go.
You've probably got it in your head already and will realise once you tab it down I think you'll probably want the snare in half time, one every two bars. 123 123 123 123.
Double time would be every other cymbal hit.
Unread 07-18-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
Chris Woodle

Superwoodle is just really niceSuperwoodle is just really nice
If you haven't, in tuxguitar, "View", "Show Matrix" on the percussion track, much easier than just inputting numbers

Click for the Facebook page

***S8 Build, Eight String Saber*** COMPLETED
Superwoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealEntity View Post
Much better! I like it
I like that you matched up the bass drums to the guitar at bar 27 now. I was going to say before, how I've often found in a mix that the snare doesn't usually sound quite as good with a kick drum at the same time. I avoided saying it though, because it's not unusual at all to hit the kick and snare at the same time on double bass beats like you had before (and now have at bar 33). Constant kicks are pretty normal and usually don't drop out for the snare.
However, now you've changed the kicks to a rhythmic pattern, I'd suggest removing the kick from under the snare on bars 27-32

3/4 time on drums...well, as with any time signature, the signature doesn't by any means define the rhythm.
If you have any rhythmic sense (which you definitely do), you'll probably know where you feel the accents already. It's just a case of trial and error when you begin to write drums, to realise where it should go.
You've probably got it in your head already and will realise once you tab it down I think you'll probably want the snare in half time, one every two bars. 123 123 123 123.
Double time would be every other cymbal hit.
Thanks a ton Ethereal! I took your advice about removing the kick from the snare on bars 27-32 and it actually sounded better! Also, thanks about the snare placement on 3/4, I'll post some results when I have some time to edit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superwoodle View Post
If you haven't, in tuxguitar, "View", "Show Matrix" on the percussion track, much easier than just inputting numbers
I'll try it out

Unread 07-18-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

ph3v2.gp5
How are the rolls and kick?

Unread 07-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
Chris Woodle

I would throw in some more variety.

Unread 07-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

Quote:
I would throw in some more variety.
How so?

Unread 07-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #11
Chris Woodle

Like this maybe?ph3v2.gp5

Unread 07-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Like this maybe?ph3v2.gp5
Sorry for the late response, that's pretty helpful though!

Unread 07-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #13
☻☺☻☼☺☻☺

danieluber1337 is a jewel in the rough
I absofruitly cannot imagine myself programming in a program on the outside of my DAW. WAY too much work.

What is your DAW?
Solodini likes this.

"i think you are right - the bass seems lower than the guitars" - Jogeta

Inside Black Mesa - Progressive Metal

WIP - Would love feedback!

Multitracking Guitars - A Short Guide - by yours truly!
danieluber1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 07:21 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieluber1337 View Post
I absofruitly cannot imagine myself programming in a program on the outside of my DAW. WAY too much work.

What is your DAW?
Reaper. I have no idea how to program drums in it, unfortunately.