homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Drums & Percussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Drums & Percussion Drums, programming and all other percussion related discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

Nostrildamus will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Superior 2.0 as VST and software

Hey all, I have a brand new laptop with a top of the line processor and I have recently bought superior 2.0 and have been running it as a vst through both FL Studio and Adobe Audition but have been somewhat disappointed with it's performance as it tends to hog the processor and bog things down.

I've heard that Audition specifically runs things slower when it comes to midi and was unsure of how FLS stacked up in that regard. I was wondering if I would be better off simply running it through Sonar and doing all my recording there.

Opinions?
Nostrildamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I don't know about those DAWs and what you said about Audition running MIDI slower.
All I know is, with a 'top of the line' processor you should be able to run atleast one instance of SD2.0 with no issues.
I use Sonar and could probably clone my drum template around 4 times on my i5 dualcore laptop.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
ss.org Regular

Ahh. Good to know. I have an i5 so I should be rocking it no problems.
Unread 12-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #4
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Just to note, the RAM might well be your issue. 2GB isn't much these days.
I used to use a 2GB RAM system and couldn't load the full kit at 24 bit quality. I was filling every slot on the kit though. I used to run it at 16 bit and it still took up most of my RAM.
EDIT: Though you did say it hogs the processor so I'm guessing your monitoring the performance and know what the problem is!
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2010, 11:40 PM   #5
ss.org Regular

Woops.

This shows what a dog Audition is.

I had an i7 quadcore and 6 GB of Ram. Yeah, things run much better in Sonar.
Unread 12-22-2010, 02:47 AM   #6
Banned

GATA4 is just really niceGATA4 is just really nice
Hey man, thanks for posting this. I've noticed that FL Studio tends to slow down a bit here too...I'll check out Sonar.
GATA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
Fatty McButterpants

Mn3mic is a jewel in the rough
One more thing you should check out, how big is the L2 cache on your CPU?
- Btw., running anything in Adobe 3.0 and later will tend to break down very quickly - try Nuendo or Cubase ^^

Get your copy of the album "The Last Submission" by Subscale the the link below:

http://music.geengerrecords.com/albu...ast-submission

--------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/subscalarstudios
http://www.soundcloud.com/subscale

"60% of the time it works all the time..."
Mn3mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
Another Sinking Shit

Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.
Just download reaper and you should be set. Adobe Audition is not any good.
Kurkkuviipale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 03:23 AM   #9
Sir Paul of the Mosh

drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mn3mic View Post
One more thing you should check out, how big is the L2 cache on your CPU?
That's gonna make no difference to the stuttering he is perceiving and i highly doubt S2.0 or adobe audition are even making specific use of the L2 cache other themselves but rather letting the OS deal with it.
drmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
Fatty McButterpants

Mn3mic is a jewel in the rough
Sure it will make a difference - more cache will make it run better cause the CPU can cache more information/files.
Of course it also depends on the driver and the soundcard too - but from my experience it's mostly due to the CPU and it's cache size.
I can run a big Cubase project with more then 50 pugins, >100 channels and 4-5 vst instruments on my PC which has a E6600 CPU and a shitty soundcard (Audigy 1) with ASIO4ALL set @ 512samples with no stutter (thats while running both SSD and AD plus 3 instances of GTR3).
A colleuge with a better overall PC and external USB soundcard but a weaker CPU (2.5GHz with 1 MB cache) - cannot run the same project even when he increases his ASIO4ALL samplerate to 2054.

But I definatelly agree, you should switch to another DAW - Adobe just insn't any good IMO.

Get your copy of the album "The Last Submission" by Subscale the the link below:

http://music.geengerrecords.com/albu...ast-submission

--------------------------------------------------
http://www.youtube.com/subscalarstudios
http://www.soundcloud.com/subscale

"60% of the time it works all the time..."
Mn3mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
Sir Paul of the Mosh

drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
you do realise a cache is only few mb at best? Cache size is not going to make a difference in this case. you cannot cache entire files in the CPU cache, and as I said, none of the software he is using is programmed to directly make use of the registers in the CPU I assume
drmosh is offline   Reply With Quote