homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Marketplace > Dealers & Group Buys
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Dealers & Group Buys Classifieds from dealers, and bulk-order discounts for ss.org members.

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-08-2009, 03:05 AM   #376
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
thanks for all comments, really

first of all we were thinking about ebony fretboards, then we realized that costs of that wood (especially for 8 string) is to high to keep the price at nice, acceptable level, second choice was of course wenge fretboard, but we thought all wenge guitar will not be welcome, but as I see we were wrong
of course we were thinking about maple also, but unfinished maple is total mistake, cause we wanted to keep that guitar oil/vax finished
as I said we are looking for some nice figured reasonable priced wood for fretboards, to offer something other companies don't offer at all

we are making tries with PADOUK as fretboard, it's going to offer nice color difference between brown wenge and orange/red padouk

so far I see people want maple, wenge, figured woods. The more we think about that MAYBE at the end we will offer different fretboard choice from maybe 2-3 options to please different tastes. It's not a big problem to make fretboard from other wood after all
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-08-2009, 03:13 AM   #377
SS.org Regular

Fionn is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
i just personally think maple would look great against the dark colored body!
This is my main reason too, other than feel, i love the feel of maple!

Quote:
For those that want a light fretboard, why maple? Why something so generic when there is so many inexpensive exotic light options to choose from.
If that is possible then i'm down with that, i'd just like the option to have a lighter board. Basically if I chose wenge for the body (1st choice probably) then I would like a light board to contrast it, if I chose ash or any other lighter coloured body wood that Seb has said is an option then a darker board would be my first choice. It sounds pretty lame but I want the neck wood to be completly opposite the body wood in terms of colour!

But to clarify, I don't really care that much its just a preference, all I really want, is one of these guitars!!!

Quote:
so far I see people want maple, wenge, figured woods. The more we think about that MAYBE at the end we will offer different fretboard choice from maybe 2-3 options to please different tastes. It's not a big problem to make fretboard from other wood after all
That would be cool, like a light option and a dark option!

Perfection at Blistering Speeds! TM

Last edited by Fionn; 11-08-2009 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 11-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #378
SS.org Regular

hmmm_de_hum is just really nicehmmm_de_hum is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm more than happy to go for a darker wood for the fretboard, but i dont really mind if there are a couple of options in this department. I am after a fanned 8 quite badly, so i want to be putting down for an order when they're availible ready, depending on how i get on with that, an upgrade to the thru model will definately be on the way.

So far every aspect of these guitars matches my criteria, and the prospect of having a choice of scale lengths further down the line really sells it for me.

The mirror which flatters not....
Unread 11-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #379
ss.org Regular

nogg will become famous soon enough
"we are making tries with PADOUK as fretboard, it's going to offer nice color difference between brown wenge and orange/red padouk "

PADOUK is SO off the chart!

Yes@!!

This is Killah Rig

Thanks Sebastion!
Unread 11-08-2009, 01:45 PM   #380
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apophis View Post
we are making tries with PADOUK as fretboard, it's going to offer nice color difference between brown wenge and orange/red padouk
That would be UNBELIEVABLE! I love the idea of a reddish FB with a dark body! I've wanted to do a red colored wood FB FOREVER! Yes, Padouk would be with that Wenge body. Great choice, Sebastian!
Unread 11-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #381
Unleash the proggies

Fzau is just really niceFzau is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The padouk will certainly look amazing!
What would it sound like combined with the wenge body and neck?
Unread 11-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #382
Dylon, Dylon, Dylon.

7stranguitfidle will become famous soon enough
Quote:

BTW
about body I think we will go into some Imabez S/Blackmachine designs, meaning really thin, sculpted body for machimum comfort and playability, nothing like bulky PRS or LP designs, what do you think??
I know i will probably catch shit for saying this but i love my PRS sheerly for the way it sits so perfectly against my bodys natural position when playing, thin edges thick center.. that would be sweet.. maybe do me a custom 8 string PRS style body with FF and partially scalloped?? what are the possibilites/est. cost of something like that?

Unread 11-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #383
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
I'm glad you like that padouk idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7stranguitfidle View Post
I know i will probably catch shit for saying this but i love my PRS sheerly for the way it sits so perfectly against my bodys natural position when playing, thin edges thick center.. that would be sweet.. maybe do me a custom 8 string PRS style body with FF and partially scalloped?? what are the possibilites/est. cost of something like that?
sorry, but you want something completely different you may think that it's only a shape, but it's whole construction my friend I can make something like that as total custom, shot me a PM with specs you would like to have and I will answer your price quote
Unread 11-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #384
ss.org Regular

Question

Wood description Pilfered from Warmoth Guitar Site:

Padouk, African (Pterocarpus soyauxii):

Bright vivid red color which oxidizes to a warm brown with use. With an open grain texture like Rosewood, the sound is very similar to Maple; well balanced and tight. It is very stable in use and requires no finish. Feels very natural to play on.
Unread 11-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #385
Unleash the proggies

is there a way to maintain the padouk's red color?
that would be totally awesome
Unread 11-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #386
SS.org-er

caughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fzau View Post
is there a way to maintain the padouk's red color?
that would be totally awesome
Lacquer, but it seems that Sebastian wants to avoid using it in this line.
Unread 11-08-2009, 04:10 PM   #387
Unleash the proggies

nooooooooooo

rethink this Sebastian? Pretty please?
Unread 11-08-2009, 04:14 PM   #388
SS.org-er

caughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud of
Quote:
nooooooooooo

rethink this Sebastian? Pretty please?
I think that a fretboard that visibly ages is pretty cool.

We all know that bloodwood maintains its colour, but I don't know if that would be feasible.
Unread 11-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #389
Unleash the proggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughtinamosh View Post
I think that a fretboard that visibly ages is pretty cool.
Me too dude, but brown body & neck + vivid red fb = epic win
Unread 11-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #390
SS.org-er

Quote:
Me too dude, but brown body & neck + vivid red fb = epic win
Well, I can't argue with that.

I haven't piped up in this thread for quite a while. I absolutely love the look of that wenge body. I too am of the opinion that a 25-27" fan would be ideal for a 7-string, and that a 25-28" fan would be great for an 8-string.
Unread 11-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #391
Loves his Q-tuners

Cheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Brown body brown neck brown fretboard brown guitarist
Unread 11-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #392
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Yeah, a red FB would be the coolest thing. I'm down with Bloodwood as well, esp since it stays red. Or Purpleheart maybe?
Unread 11-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #393
ss.org Regular

Question

Cocobolo (Dalbergia retusa):

A true Rosewood species and gorgeous to behold. Unfortunately this extremely oily wood is difficult to
glue.

Cocobolo is reported to be very durable and is highly resistant to marine borer attack. Prolonged or repeated immersion in soapy water is reported have very little adverse effect on the wood except to darken its color. Natural oils in the wood tend to promote waterproofing. They also impart a waxy appearance to the wood when it is rubbed with a cloth.

Cocobolo is reported to be very stable after seasoning because of its oil content, which acts as a barrier to water absorption.

Cocobolo is reported to be one of the primary species for the manufacture of cutlery, especially for knife handles because of its attractive color, texture, and waterproof characteristics.

The color of the heartwood varies when freshly-cut, and is described as a rainbow-hued. Exposure is reported to darken the lighter colors and merges them with the darker colors.

The wood becomes deep red with irregular markings of purple or black and various colors of the rainbow. Boiling the wood in water is reported to remove some of the color.

The grain is usually straight, but it is occasionally interlocked.

The wood is described as very resistant to impregnation.

Goncalo Alves (Astronium fraxini folium):

Very dense smooth texture with a waxy fast feel. Color is tan with darker chocolate stripes (used by Smith & Wesson for pistol grips). With an articulate, clean, warm tone, Goncalo gets rave reviews for its overall well balanced tone and great looks. Primarily used as a neck wood, it mates well with Pau Ferro or ebony fingerboards.

Kingwood (Dalbergia Cearensis):

Affectionately referred to as “the wood of kings” and for good reason! From South America, this wood is very hard and dense with a fine, smooth texture to it. Sonically you can expect great articulation, fast response and ample sustain; very much like Brazilian Rosewood. Often the grain is highly figured and varies in amazing ways. Truly an excellent fingerboard wood choice and a customer favorite.

Macassar Ebony (Dispyrus macassar):

The distinctive chocolate brown stripes of Macassar Ebony are hard to miss. A beautiful wood for those wanting the feel and tone of ebony but a more exciting look! Lots of sustain, attack and stability from this dense wood and the feel is very smooth to the touch. Primarily used for fingerboards but sometimes available for solid necks too! No finish required.

Purpleheart (Peltogyne pubesens):

The trademark purple-like color is striking and it is gaining in popularity. A very hard, dense wood for excellent sustain and similar to Bubinga in its thick well defined bottom. Looks great combined with bodies sporting purple finishes!

The heartwood is initially dull brown, but it rapidly changes to a bright, vibrant purple. Prolonged exposure darkens the wood to a dark-purplish brown or dark brown, but the original color is reported to be easily restored by recutting to expose new wood. Color variation between boards is reported to be moderate to high. Presence of minerals in some boards may cause uneven coloration and steaming is reported to affect the color. Peltogyne timbers are reported to vary widely in color between, and probably within species.

Light & Air-Induced Changes

Treatment against ultra-violet fading has been suggested since the wood turns gray-brown upon exposure to sunlight. A treatment with Armorall, the car finish product, under lacquer is reported to maintain the original color well.

Satine (Brosimum paraense):

We also know this as Bloodwood because of its dark red color. A very dense, hard, tropical wood with a waxy smooth feel. Super tight grain pattern almost like Ebony, this wood is super fast to play on. Extended sustain and brilliant highs. Truly an incredible clean looking exotic.

Billiard-cue butts, Cabinetmaking, Carvings, Marquetry, Musical instruments , Turnery, Bedroom suites, Drawer sides, Drum sticks, Furniture , Kitchen cabinets, Living-room suites, Office furniture, Organ pipes, Piano keys, Pianos , Radio, stereo, TV cabinets, Sounding boards, Sporting Goods, Violin, Violin bows, Woodwork , Xylophones

The heartwood is described as deep red or pale reddish-brown, and may sometimes have a greenish golden beige ribbon figure.

The wood is reported to be resistant to attack by decay-causing organisms, termites, and dry wood insects.

Ages to a deep brown color. Lacquer extends aging to help preserve red color.

Wenge (Millettia laurentii):

A black hard wood with chocolate brown stripes. Very hard, coarser textured wood with open grain and very stiff. This wood makes awesome necks with strong midrange tones and warm lows. Combine it with an ebony fretboard for added highs or Brazilian Rosewood for a nice rounded upper tone. Bass players will be wowed by the punchy-ness, and guitar players will be awe struck at the howling mid-tones of their solos. Playing-wise, the coarse grain translates to less surface drag for your thumb while sliding. So though it’s coarse, it’s actually very fast while playing on it.

Padouk, African (Pterocarpus soyauxii):

Bright vivid red color which oxidizes to a warm brown with use. With an open grain texture like Rosewood, the sound is very similar to Maple; well balanced and tight. It is very stable in use and requires no finish. Feels very natural to play on.

Ziricote (Cordia dodecandra):

This dark gray to brown to black wood is similar to ebony in weight and density. Some pieces have gorgeous striping and spider web grain patterns. The feel is buttery smooth and slick. The density translates to great sustain and the tone is considered to be much like Brazilian Rosewood. Limited availability and a bit expensive.

Unread 11-09-2009, 03:06 AM   #394
Banned

The main problem is availability vs price of course I can choose and offer highly figured exotic wood and I have my own suppliers, but to have low price I have to order a lot, so it has to be reasonable priced or whole concept of affordable line will be ruined. I have to keep price below 1000$ for 8 string fanned fret guitar, so adding "few hundred bucks fretboard" will ruin its price and of course I have to earn something at the end
Unread 11-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #395
ss.org Regular

Lethe is a glorious beacon of lightLethe is a glorious beacon of lightLethe is a glorious beacon of light
Would Zebrano be a choice for the fretboard? It is supposed to be very similar to Wenge, plus I'd rather have that look than Padouk.
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #396
ss.org Regular

Personally - the Cocobolo shade is nice .. it won't fade or change colors much.

Unread 11-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #397
Dylon, Dylon, Dylon.

7stranguitfidle will become famous soon enough
pm'd buddy

Unread 11-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #398
SS.org Regular

guitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to allguitarplayerone is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogg View Post
The the Q-Tuner passive pick up in neck position.
Clarity straight across with lots of chime ..

They're in the Netherlands .. somewhere in Europe.

i'm sure q-tuners are great but imo the clarity from that guitar comes much more from the 30" scale length. Who was that guy with the LACS prototype... he had a q-tuner installed, he might have something to say about it... was it nikt?
Unread 11-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #399
Unleash the proggies

Quote:
The main problem is availability vs price of course I can choose and offer highly figured exotic wood and I have my own suppliers, but to have low price I have to order a lot, so it has to be reasonable priced or whole concept of affordable line will be ruined. I have to keep price below 1000$ for 8 string fanned fret guitar, so adding "few hundred bucks fretboard" will ruin its price and of course I have to earn something at the end
Absolutely. I don't know that much of wood prices, but I think Purpleheart is (way) out of budget. Not sure if Bloodwood is but I'm guessing so.
Is it possible to oil the Padouk fretboard so that it keeps its vivid red color but keeping the price in the target zone?
Unread 11-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #400
ss.org Regular

A treatment with Armorall, the car finish product, under lacquer is reported to maintain the original color well.
Closed Thread