homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Marketplace > Dealers & Group Buys
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Dealers & Group Buys Classifieds from dealers, and bulk-order discounts for ss.org members.

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #1
Gear Whore

metalvince333 is a name known to allmetalvince333 is a name known to allmetalvince333 is a name known to allmetalvince333 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Buckeye burl you say?? new custom guitar specs inside!

The guitar will be made by an awesome local luthier called Louis-Philippe Bond here in Quebec and I'll be able to go check it out from time to time wich is great!

Ok so here are the specs so far:
-6 string
-25.5 scale
-hard tail string through bridge
-Redwood body
-wenge laminate between top and body
-Buckeye Burl top
-bolt on Wenge/maple 5 piece neck
-Birdseye maple fretboard with no inlays, wenge binding, glow in the dark side dots and a buckeye burl headstock veneer.
-Sperzel locking tuners
-Lace Alumitone Deathbucker bridge or neck pickup
-unknown second pickup

Top + another birdseye maple fretboard neck (not mine)

Top + random neck again!

The redwood body blank.

The shape of thy geeturz

The headstock shape I chose for this guitar.
Sullen and Mister-Tux like this.

www.myspace.com/karkaos
My friend: I just had an argument with a girl I know. She was saying how it's unfair that if a guy ....s a different girl every week, he's a legend, but if a girl ....s just two guys in a year, she's a slut. So in response I told her that if a key opens lots of locks, then it's a master key. But if a lock is opened by lots of keys, then it's a shitty lock.
metalvince333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Holy .... man!

Is this... guitar?
scherzo1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 10:53 PM   #3
Reason User

ThePhilosopher is a name known to allThePhilosopher is a name known to allThePhilosopher is a name known to allThePhilosopher is a name known to all
Looks tasty.

"Congrats on joining the man-fan club " - EtherealEntity
My Photography: www.bartkophoto.com
My Bandcamp: http://dbartko.bandcamp.com/
My Soundcloud: www.soundcloud.com/dbartko
ThePhilosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #4
Gear Whore

metalvince333 is a name known to allmetalvince333 is a name known to allmetalvince333 is a name known to allmetalvince333 is a name known to all
Ok so I got the pickups figured out now!
Bridge pickup will be a bkp Aftermath
Not really part of the big band wagon but my luthier swears by them so I trust him with that!

www.myspace.com/karkaos
My friend: I just had an argument with a girl I know. She was saying how it's unfair that if a guy ....s a different girl every week, he's a legend, but if a girl ....s just two guys in a year, she's a slut. So in response I told her that if a key opens lots of locks, then it's a master key. But if a lock is opened by lots of keys, then it's a shitty lock.
Unread 01-10-2012, 12:44 AM   #5
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Oh wow, I've got almost the same build going! I'm embarking on a couple of 9s, and the first one is a buckeye burl top (with ebony sandwiched between) and a maaaaybe a birdseye FB. And a BM-esque HS as well. That's cool that you've got a very similar build going!
Hollowway is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #6
Gear Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowway View Post
Oh wow, I've got almost the same build going! I'm embarking on a couple of 9s, and the first one is a buckeye burl top (with ebony sandwiched between) and a maaaaybe a birdseye FB. And a BM-esque HS as well. That's cool that you've got a very similar build going!
Haha cool man! Did you post anything about your build?

www.myspace.com/karkaos
Unread 01-10-2012, 01:41 AM   #7
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalvince333 View Post
Haha cool man! Did you post anything about your build?
Not yet. I bought the buckeye a couple of weeks ago and it's en route to Tom Drinkwater now (should be there tomorrow, not sure what's taking so long!). Then he's going to take it up to the local exotic wood shop to try to color match it to some darker birdseye or maybe another wood that has some of the colors. I figure once he's got that I'll post something up. Yours is way farther along! Buckeye burl is so cool though. Can't go wrong with that!
scherzo1928 likes this.
Unread 01-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

0 Xero 0 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Buckeye is definitely my favorite wood. Does anyone know if you can roast it like maple or other hardwoods? I'm really curious about this because I heard buckeye is really soft (softer than basswood even though I've never had a problem with basswood...). I look forward to build threads.

Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?
0 Xero 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

Qweklain is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Dude, buck you man, just... buck... you...

So are you getting a mockingbird body then? Or is it that picture just an example of the wood blank?
Qweklain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Hurry up...

Konfyouzd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #11
Aspiring Luthier

9voltchicken is a jewel in the rough
That body blank is absolutely spectacular. Will the body be sculpted at all?
9voltchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
ΩGJ :3

Alberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to behold
I want to friggin' see it finished. One of the few buckeye burl pieces that I don't find overly busy. Beautiful woods!

Sum ergo cogito; cogito ergo dubito; dubito ergo cogito; cogito ergo sum.
Alberto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #13
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto7 View Post
One of the few buckeye burl pieces that I don't find overly busy. Beautiful woods!
I think the finish will take care of that. I can definately see a lot going on on the wood, but it will show better with the finish.

Is this... guitar?
scherzo1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #14
\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/

BlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Holy poop on a stick that is a nice body wood! Dunno how I missed this before.

"Metal is for Vikings; if you're not a Viking, get off the boat." - The Beard

"He doesn't even like Metallica, that's how metal he is." - My friend describing my musical tastes to her friends.
BlackMastodon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #15
ΩGJ :3

Alberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzo1928 View Post
I think the finish will take care of that. I can definately see a lot going on on the wood, but it will show better with the finish.
You might be right. I'm not very experienced with woods haha. But I've seen some buckeye burl tops that just give me a headache . This one seems fine upon first glance. But, as you say, the finish might change that.

Sum ergo cogito; cogito ergo dubito; dubito ergo cogito; cogito ergo sum.
Alberto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #16
lover of fine woods

mphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to beholdmphsc is a splendid one to behold
That top is off the chain...

great wood choices.
mphsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #17
Gear Whore

Ohh jeez sorry for the wait guys! I didnt see that this thread got bumped!

Nah it's going to have a soloist body with an arm rest, tummy rest and a radius through the body to keep it all comfy and cool! The mockingbird shape drawn was probably a previous project that never got through.

As far as the buckeye, I love it like that! Some pieces have a grey-ish look on them but I like this a little better for this guitar since it'll have a birdseye maple fretboard.

I'm super stoked on this!

Some pics with the real shape and a pic of the pickups! (the bkp and the alumitone on the left)

scherzo1928 and Stompmeister like this.

www.myspace.com/karkaos
Unread 03-17-2012, 11:30 PM   #18
Gear Whore

Hey guys! A little update here..
I decided to change the body wood to something a little less fancy to bring the cost down a little!
My choices are:
Butternut
Swamp Ash
Mahogany
Cherry wood

This is a 6string guitar with a maple neck and fretboard. I'm most likely to tune it to drop d (DADGBE) and maybe drop c (CGCFAD) so no really low tunings with those. I want a really vibrant and light wood that will sound pretty clear but with a nice growl to it. Not too bright since I already have an aftermath and deathbucker prepared for those. So far i'm leaning toward the Cherry Wood or the Butternut just because of the colour that would fit a little better with the project but I'm open to suggestions! What do you guys think?

Ohh by the way! The neck is glued and I also changed the bridge to a hipshot.

Superwoodle likes this.

www.myspace.com/karkaos
Unread 03-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #19
Extended Ranger

My build is pretty close to yours (buckeye burl top, macassar ebony neck, birdseye maple FB) and I'm using a sandwiched macassar ebony slice and swamp ash as the body wood. You could always do slightly tinted finish on the ash if it doesn't match the yellow in the rest of the guitar too well. That's what I'm doing.
Unread 03-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #20
..to pay the beels

skeels is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/skeels is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/skeels is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/skeels is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/skeels is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/skeels is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/skeels is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Were those .... green frets?

Oh bitchen specs and wood btw! Can't wait to see pics of it as it progresses!

Green?

Green..... frets?

Seriously?

Can he do black frets?
skeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #21
POSTING ON INTERNET

Miek is just really niceMiek is just really nice
I think the frets are just masked off with tape very well.
Miek is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 12:06 AM   #22
..to pay the beels

skeels is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/skeels is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/skeels is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/skeels is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/skeels is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/skeels is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/skeels is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
^Dang! I want black frets.
skeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 12:20 AM   #23
POSTING ON INTERNET

Miek is just really niceMiek is just really nice
I can't think of any black alloys offhand, but if you find one, you might be able to get frets made out of it!
Miek is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 12:26 AM   #24
Gear Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miek View Post
I think the frets are just masked off with tape very well.
this!
It will have stainless steel frets! He did offer Quartz frets but they were wayyy too expensive for me!

The swamp ash is intresting but I'm affraid it would make the guitar way too bright for what I will use it for! I dont downtune a lot and I play high gain melodic death metal stuff.I'm really curious about the butternut because i've heard it sounds like mahogany but a little bit brighter and the guy that is building my guitar is also doing a bass for Evan Brewer of the Faceless and that is what he chose for his body...the builder also says that his cherry wood sounds really great in the les paul he made.

www.myspace.com/karkaos
Unread 03-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #25
Extended Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalvince333 View Post
this!

The swamp ash is intresting but I'm affraid it would make the guitar way too bright for what I will use it for! I dont downtune a lot and I play high gain melodic death metal stuff.
Ah. Yeah, mine will be tuned to G#0, so I really NEED it to be as bright as possible. Can you ask your luthier? If he knows about quartz frets he'd probably be knowledgable as to what would wood sound best for your uses. Or were those the choices he gave you?