homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Marketplace > Dealers & Group Buys
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Dealers & Group Buys Classifieds from dealers, and bulk-order discounts for ss.org members.

Like Tree431Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-16-2012, 06:18 AM   #151
ERG/ERB Builder

Tom Drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightTom Drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightTom Drinkwater is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Wow, I never thought of it that way. That's cool. Although, leave it to the crazies on SSO - we need both fanned frets AND Garry's strings to get to the extremes we seek!
So true!!! We do push the envelope.
XEN likes this.

Oakland Axe Factory uses Octave4Plus custom strings, Dimarzio and Lace pickups, Hipshot Hardware and Graphtech saddles.
Tom Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #152
ERG/ERB Builder

Tom Drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightTom Drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightTom Drinkwater is a glorious beacon of light
Neck week!!

So this is neck week!! Today I will build a sliding jig for my table saw to cut the headstock angles. I'll be sure to take lot's of pics of that.

Today I'm also spending lots of time reviewing my notes and organizing the wood so it all ends up in the right guitars. As of this week I am officially working on 13 different guitars for 3 different companies including my own so organization is the key to success.

Top that off with myself and everyone else in my household being sick including my niece and nephew whom we watch on a daily basis and you have a recipe for an awesome couple of weeks!! I'm going to try very hard not to sneeze on anyone's guitar, I promise. That would be a disgusting take on the Steve Vai DNA Jem finish. Just saying.

Oakland Axe Factory uses Octave4Plus custom strings, Dimarzio and Lace pickups, Hipshot Hardware and Graphtech saddles.
Unread 01-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #153
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Best of luck, post many pics, and get better!

Is this... guitar?
scherzo1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #154
ERG/ERB Builder

Thanks, I'm going to shop in a minute or two. I always feel better when I make sawdust!!

Unread 01-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #155
ERG/ERB Builder

Headstocks cut and gluing up

Hi everyone,

I cut and glued up the headstocks today. Here's some pics of that process.

My trusty Ridgid contractor saw. It's not a cabinet saw but it works.

The blade is adjusted all the way up which as you can see will be a very close cut.

Here is the sliding 13degree angle jig that I use for cutting headstocks.

A whole bunch of Indian Rosewood necks being glued up on the table. Six for this build and one blank for a custom 7 string neck for a talented hobby builder in Europe.
XEN, JaeSwift, scherzo1928 and 2 others like this.

Unread 01-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #156
ERG/ERB Builder

More Pics!!!

Here are the latest pics of necks in progress.

The neck blanks, ready to have their headstock faces sanded on my little skil belt/disc sander.

The postman dropped off a box for us today!

What's inside? HARDWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pencil marking don't show up on dark wood very well so I use a light colored masking tape to remedy this problem.

Here is the whole stack of necks, all marked up and ready to start cutting.
kruneh, Randy, SamSam and 2 others like this.

Unread 01-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #157
SS.org Regular

kruneh is just really nicekruneh is just really nice
Very cool, looks great!
If I didnīt have a girlfriend I would have been a part of this
kruneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #158
Some call me... Tim

Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Drinkwater View Post

My offset version of the single cut in a 6 string configuration

Same body

I really, really dig that. It would look friggin' rad on a fanned 8.

P.S. When do you sleep, man? You replied to my email at like 4AM .

"We must not indulge in unfavorable views of mankind, since by doing it we make bad men believe they are no worse than others, and we teach the good that they are good in vain." - Walter Winchell

"Progressive music used to be about thinking outside the box, but now it's just about fitting as many notes inside the box as possible, and it bores me to tears." -Sol Niger 333 [paraphrased]

"It is important to be a Jedi." - Mika
Grand Moff Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #159
Rogue intellectual

celticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Moff Tim View Post
I really, really dig that. It would look friggin' rad on a fanned 8.
My next OAF build, in other words.

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

Melody is the outpouring of the soul. Words interrupt the stream of the emotions.
For the songs of the souls, at the time they are swaying in the high regions to drink from the well of the Almighty,
consist of tones only, dismantled of words.
-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

7 strings, played slowly.
celticelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #160
Some call me... Tim

Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.Grand Moff Tim is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticelk View Post
My next OAF build, in other words.

And potentially my first.

"We must not indulge in unfavorable views of mankind, since by doing it we make bad men believe they are no worse than others, and we teach the good that they are good in vain." - Walter Winchell

"Progressive music used to be about thinking outside the box, but now it's just about fitting as many notes inside the box as possible, and it bores me to tears." -Sol Niger 333 [paraphrased]

"It is important to be a Jedi." - Mika
Grand Moff Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #161
XEN
(formerly urklvt)

XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.XEN can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Tom, sleep? NEVAR!!!!
XEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #162
Of Blood and Sawdust

JaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I cut and glued up the headstocks today. Here's some pics of that process.

My trusty Ridgid contractor saw. It's not a cabinet saw but it works.

The blade is adjusted all the way up which as you can see will be a very close cut.

Here is the sliding 13degree angle jig that I use for cutting headstocks.

A whole bunch of Indian Rosewood necks being glued up on the table. Six for this build and one blank for a custom 7 string neck for a talented hobby builder in Europe.
Thanks so much for that complimentThose headstocks are so damn tasty, can't wait to see what mine will look like with that flame maple fretboard.
SamSam likes this.
JaeSwift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2012, 06:17 AM   #163
ERG/ERB Builder

No problem Jae, you should post a pic of the 8 string you showed me. That thing thing looks great.

I do sleep, I'm just up at 6AM every morning.

I'll load some pics of the 1:1 drawing of the offset multiscale 8 and 9 that I'm currently designing in a few minutes. Must drink more coffee first.......

Unread 01-18-2012, 06:29 AM   #164
ERG/ERB Builder

Here are those offset multiscales. These will eventually be regular models. I plan on offering multiscale 8 and 9's in my double cut, single cut and offset single cut configurations. These are both designs for members here at ss.org. The 8 is going to be semi hollow which I'm pretty excited about.

The scales are:
9 string- 32"-28.625"
8 string- 27"-24.75"
scherzo1928 likes this.

Unread 01-18-2012, 06:30 AM   #165
ERG/ERB Builder

The strat is there for visual reference. The guitar are quite compact. The 8 string is shorter overall than the strat and the 9 is only a tiny bit longer.

Unread 01-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #166
Of Blood and Sawdust

JaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
No problem Jae, you should post a pic of the 8 string you showed me. That thing thing looks great.

I do sleep, I'm just up at 6AM every morning.

I'll load some pics of the 1:1 drawing of the offset multiscale 8 and 9 that I'm currently designing in a few minutes. Must drink more coffee first.......
Aye, I had a while ago when I was building it (luthiery sub forum) and when it was finished as a NGD in the extended range sub-forum. Sadly, right now it's in the ''FS'' section but I hope to just sell my 6 string so that I can keep my 8 No one seems to want my 6 though haha.

Those designs looks tasty!
Unread 01-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #167
ERG/ERB Builder

Quote:
Aye, I had a while ago when I was building it (luthiery sub forum) and when it was finished as a NGD in the extended range sub-forum. Sadly, right now it's in the ''FS'' section but I hope to just sell my 6 string so that I can keep my 8 No one seems to want my 6 though haha.

No doubt. I sell guitars on ebay and craigslist somewhat frequently for a friend of mine and it can be really hit or miss. Right now I have Dillion USA (made in Korea) semi hollow for sale and the best I've been offered is a partial trade for a Classic Vibe 60's strat.

Unread 01-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #168
SS.org Regular

in-pursuit is just really nicein-pursuit is just really nice
Oh man, that makes me wish I asked for my 9 to be semi hollow!

Jazz influenced Prog//Experimental
http://soundcloud.com/frogherder

Incoming - Oakland Axe Factory OXC 9 string, multiscale, headless, single cut, piezo!

Did someone along the line not love you enough, because you were always failure?

If you make plans around custom guitar build ETA, you're gonna have a bad time.
in-pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #169
ERG/ERB Builder

Not as much progressed over the weekend as I had planned. I didn't touch the guitars at all yesterday and that was a good thing, it was one of those days where literally nothing goes right. Let's just say that I spent the better part of the day outside with my #$%^$# snowblower that works when it wants to and got frostbite while trying to clear my driveway. The frostbite is only first degree so no big, just stings a bit. I hate my snowblower. That's what I get for meticulously maintaining that thing. I haven't changed the oil, spark plug, filter or sharpened the blades on my lawn mower in 6 years and that thing works perfectly!!!

Oh well, back to work today. I'll get on with the necks this morning and try to get some pics up this evening.

Unread 01-23-2012, 10:05 AM   #170
Of Blood and Sawdust

Quote:
Not as much progressed over the weekend as I had planned. I didn't touch the guitars at all yesterday and that was a good thing, it was one of those days where literally nothing goes right. Let's just say that I spent the better part of the day outside with my #$%^$# snowblower that works when it wants to and got frostbite while trying to clear my driveway. The frostbite is only first degree so no big, just stings a bit. I hate my snowblower. That's what I get for meticulously maintaining that thing. I haven't changed the oil, spark plug, filter or sharpened the blades on my lawn mower in 6 years and that thing works perfectly!!!

Oh well, back to work today. I'll get on with the necks this morning and try to get some pics up this evening.
Ouch! And here I thought my shaving cut today was a sign of bad luck.
Tom Drinkwater likes this.
Unread 01-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #171
ERG/ERB Builder

Here's some pics I took a few minutes ago. As you can see the necks are coming along pretty well. Two necks are still having the overlays attached so those aren't pictured.

The body in this pic is a half poplar, half maple thing I laminated up over a year ago. I'll be using that for the O.A.F. guitar that is in this batch. I've done a six string with this type of body and I think it sounds really great. The body is also only 1.5" thick which makes it extremely light weight as well. This particular body will be getting some interesting sculpting done to it before it's all said and done.

Another angle of the same thing

Here is a shot of my 2" x 2" template bit. It weighs half a pound. It works wonders with cutting the Rosewood.

I spoke with the mill again regarding the body blanks and I've been assured that they are "on their way" and I hope to get them by next Monday.
XEN, SamSam, Hollowway and 2 others like this.

Unread 01-23-2012, 05:56 PM   #172
mids are overrated

MetalDaze is shredding to new heights.MetalDaze is shredding to new heights.MetalDaze is shredding to new heights.MetalDaze is shredding to new heights.MetalDaze is shredding to new heights.MetalDaze is shredding to new heights.MetalDaze is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Tom, you are building those too fast You are going to piss off the other luthiers
MetalDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #173
SS.org Regular

ForThisGift is just really niceForThisGift is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalDaze View Post
Tom, you are building those too fast You are going to piss off the other luthiers

Haha. There is a bit of hurry up and wait, but I would have to say that so far, Tom does quick, clean work.

I am digging it and I can't wait to see some boards. I think the process is as interesting as the final product (that is until it arrives, then it wins).
Tom Drinkwater and MetalDaze like this.
ForThisGift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #174
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Tom Drinkwater and espman like this.

Is this... guitar?
scherzo1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2012, 07:21 AM   #175
ERG/ERB Builder

There is definitely a lot of "hurry up and wait" during a build. Some of the slower periods gives me time to update this thread and look at some other things that I've got going on. Believe it or not I've also got 8 other guitars in the works right now as well.

I always feel a sense of urgency to complete a project. I try to work as quickly and safely as possible and it is always a challenge for me to slow down and take my time in the shop. I've found that as long as the build progresses on a daily basis the whole thing comes together pretty quickly.