homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Marketplace > Dealers & Group Buys
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Dealers & Group Buys Classifieds from dealers, and bulk-order discounts for ss.org members.

Like Tree80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #51
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
All i can say is
"Holy ...., btw, look at that headless tele. Oh shitttt."
The Armada
sevenstring.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMyghin View Post
Drill from post to bridge pickup route, slip wire through B-pickup to to cavity. Probably a lot easier than a straight to cavity approach.
Now that's thinking. But still stressful.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #52
Of Blood and Sawdust

JaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of lightJaeSwift is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Armada View Post
Now that's thinking. But still stressful.
There's honestly not much to it, pretty much all manufacturers that offer passive pickups with a trem bridge do this. Either get a flex drill or a very long drill bit (I used the latter on my RGA 8) and just drill the hole.
JaeSwift is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 01:45 AM   #53
Plays Fusion.

Syriel is just really niceSyriel is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
These are now officially called Djent-Bars as according to this forum.

Are these split-coil able btw?
Syriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 05:01 AM   #54
such a shredneck..

vansinn is just really nicevansinn is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMarine75 View Post
Badmotherbucker
I happen to own an old MightyMite three-coil pickup from back in mid 80's.
We used to call it the ............

Seriously though, I also think Lace should reconsider the name, or they might risk some not buying because they ain't djenting.

I want a flexible pup useful from prog jazz/rock/fusion to proggy metal.
I like both a somewhat raw/cash-lows and a silky tone, so a Lace pup named MetaLacy (meet-a-lacey) would suit me just fine

Did I read the new ones have P90-like wirings? If so, this could very well fit my needs just fine for my Schecter Riot 8.
Dunno if I'll swap both 808's; maybe start with the bridge..

van Sinn... plays progressive ambient jazz/rock/metal fusion
says, stop second guessing the past, keep pushing, or risk getting left behind
"the law is the law. there is no justice outside the law, but if you know the law, you can use it" - Todd Rungren
vansinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #55
SS.org Regular

fusion1 has a spectacular aura about
I would expect them to be considering that the Deathbucker Alumitones are splittable. IIRC my regular Alumitone had 3 wires (White, orange and green) so not sure if that was splittable or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syriel View Post
These are now officially called Djent-Bars as according to this forum.

Are these split-coil able btw?
fusion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #56
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
the funny thing is, these pickups aren't particularly djenty.

I mean, they CAN djent, like any other pickup, but they aren't inherently djenty.

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #57
ERG/ERB Builder

Tom Drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightTom Drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightTom Drinkwater is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:

I mean, they CAN djent, like any other pickup, but they aren't inherently djenty.
Exactly!!!

Oakland Axe Factory uses Octave4Plus custom strings, Dimarzio and Lace pickups, Hipshot Hardware and Graphtech saddles.
Tom Drinkwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 02:39 PM   #58
DjentyGoodness

thatguy87 is just really nicethatguy87 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_Kitten View Post

This just totally turned me off to them and I thank you for posting it. Why would you name a pup AlumaDjent or "DjentBar" if it's not more djenty than the rest. Shame on you, Lace.
thatguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #59
Tranquil insurgent

celticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy87 View Post
This just totally turned me off to them and I thank you for posting it. Why would you name a pup AlumaDjent or "DjentBar" if it's not more djenty than the rest. Shame on you, Lace.
I would really like to hear what exactly makes a pickup "djenty" of its own accord. I admit to having a poor grasp of the sound/style/whatever, but isn't it usually achieved through aggressive pre- and post-gain EQ? Does it really matter what the pickup is, under those conditions? Cleary many people think so, or everyone wouldn't be in such a swooning frenzy over BKPs, but I just don't get it. In any event, if this is a pickup that Tosin uses, and he's generally considered to have a "djent" sound by people who care about such things, why *not* call it a DjentBar?

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

Melody is the outpouring of the soul. Words interrupt the stream of the emotions.
For the songs of the souls, at the time they are swaying in the high regions to drink from the well of the Almighty,
consist of tones only, dismantled of words.
-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

7 strings, played slowly.
celticelk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #60
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy87 View Post

So easily swayed from a product you've never tried, by someone you've never met over the internet without more than a couple sentences from him.

That's almost more annoying than the djent fad.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #61
DjentyGoodness

thatguy87 is just really nicethatguy87 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticelk View Post
if this is a pickup that Tosin uses, and he's generally considered to have a "djent" sound by people who care about such things, why *not* call it a DjentBar?
I don't think AAL is djenty really. The two should not be lumped together imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Armada View Post

So easily swayed from a product you've never tried, by someone you've never met over the internet without more than a couple sentences from him.

That's almost more annoying than the djent fad.
If I were to try these and not like them, I would have a rather large hole to fill and I don't believe DiMarzios or BKPs or SDs, or w/e passive pickups would fit and still be aesthetically pleasing. So, after hearing that a pickup isn't as described in it's own damn name, I will go with that until I hear some decent sound from them.
thatguy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #62
GAS problems

SamSam is just really niceSamSam is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
It is quite a risk for someone who is expecting a certain tone, it would be wiser togo with the safer route we all know and love. I'm tempted by the Alumitones just for the hell of trying them, but the routing issue is biggie for me too.
SamSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #63
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
I don't see what the fuss is all about, especially considering so few on here have even tried Alumitones, and no one on here has tried these yet. For all we know they're significantly modified compared to their 6-string models.

For instance, DiMarzio 7-string and now 8-string pickups sound completely different than their 6-string variants. In fact, I don't think I've ever played an extended variant of any pickup that matched it's "standard" counterpart even as close as 90%, let alone exact.

Also, I don't care what they call them, if they sound good I'm interested. Call them Bigfloppydonkeypenis-buckers and I'll still put them in a guitar, as long as the tone is there. Most pickups have shitty names anyways: Super Distortion, Humbucker From Hell, Screaming Demon, the list goes on.

As for the routes, being a fan of fanned frets I'd MUCH rather have the larger active/soapbar routes as that literally opens up my choices for future pickups at least ten fold. As awesome as it is to have passives on my fanned 8 (hell, it's great just having the bobbins available ) I still think I'm going to route it to allow for soapbars.
XEN, NSwitzer and celticelk like this.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #64
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
Bigfloppydonkeypenis-buckers
I'm sorry, but that name is not available. How about bigfloppydonkeypenis-buckers2000?

So I'm in basic agreement with this. But then again, the work djent doesn't bother me. TBH, I'm still not sure what the heck djent is, so I'm cool with people calling stuff djent, since I can't establish what it is other than a word. Obviously if Lace called the pickups something else there wouldn't be much debate. But really, if someone said the term "metal" didn't make sense and got irritated when someone used it they'd have just as much justification. So I don't care about the name. And as Max said, pickups aren't exactly known for having useful, descriptive, or cool names anyway.

EDIT: Except BKPs. Those names (and the company name) are pretty damn cool.
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #65
Tranquil insurgent

celticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
I don't see what the fuss is all about, especially considering so few on here have even tried Alumitones, and no one on here has tried these yet. For all we know they're significantly modified compared to their 6-string models.
Well, except for Tom, who's put them in my recent build. (And therefore me, of course, but Tom's vastly wider experience with pickups makes his input much more relevant than mine.)

If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

Melody is the outpouring of the soul. Words interrupt the stream of the emotions.
For the songs of the souls, at the time they are swaying in the high regions to drink from the well of the Almighty,
-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

Unread 11-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #66
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.Explorer is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If one were installing the Alumi-Tards into a guitar which is currently active, and the bridge on the guitar is a black Hipshot or the equivalent, does one need to scrape the black paint off where each string contacts it, as well as off the threading and bottom of the screw leading to the grounding wire, and also the inside of the drilled hole in the Hipshot in which the screw is threaded?

or is all that stuff conductive, and I don't need to worry about anything by the grounding wire just making contact with some part of the bridge or mounting screw?

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about."

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 12:08 AM   #67
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
If one were installing the Alumi-Tards into a guitar which is currently active, and the bridge on the guitar is a black Hipshot or the equivalent, does one need to scrape the black paint off where each string contacts it, as well as off the threading and bottom of the screw leading to the grounding wire, and also the inside of the drilled hole in the Hipshot in which the screw is threaded?

or is all that stuff conductive, and I don't need to worry about anything by the grounding wire just making contact with some part of the bridge or mounting screw?
Hipshot bridges are perfectly conductive. You just need the ground wire to make contact with the bridge, and that's that.

Easiest way to know if you need to do any scraping is checking continuity with a volt-meter or anything like that.

Is this... guitar?
scherzo1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 01:50 AM   #68
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Ah of course a volt meter, I keep one in house all the time.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 03:24 AM   #69
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
I would love one of these in an 8 string, but i would put it in the neck position.

Also, a pickup is inherently djenty when it has a tight and slightly less present low end, a hot mid and treble response, and a very focused sound.

You can also make any pickup djent, if you just treat the signal right. It might end up being noisy, you might not get the detail you want, all depending on the pickup, but you can make it happen.

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 06:06 AM   #70
ERG/ERB Builder

Tom Drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightTom Drinkwater is a glorious beacon of lightTom Drinkwater is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
I would love one of these in an 8 string, but i would put it in the neck position.

Also, a pickup is inherently djenty when it has a tight and slightly less present low end, a hot mid and treble response, and a very focused sound.

You can also make any pickup djent, if you just treat the signal right. It might end up being noisy, you might not get the detail you want, all depending on the pickup, but you can make it happen.
This is as good an explanation as I've ever seen on the Djent pickups topic. The Bigfloppydonkeypenisbucker2000's (bfdpb2k's) has a tight low end, but less of that hot mid and treble that you may find in a BKP. It does have a very focused sound but in a different way than the BKP. The only way to describe it is that it has more head room than the Aftermath. I found the Aftermath/5150II to sound very thin and raspy whereas I find the bfdpb2k to be fuller with some of the same qualities that make the BKP useful.

The guy that came over to hear them through his amp said that he would love a set in the neck position as well but would prefer something that sounds more like the 808 or DA8 in the bridge. That was specifically for the distorted tone though, he, like myself was very satisfied with the clean tone of either and both pickups.

Swooning frenzy!! That is awesome!!!
thatguy87 and Rap Hat like this.

Oakland Axe Factory uses Octave4Plus custom strings, Dimarzio and Lace pickups, Hipshot Hardware and Graphtech saddles.
Unread 11-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #71
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
Ah of course a volt meter, I keep one in house all the time.
I have 3

Is this... guitar?
scherzo1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #72
ERG/ERB Builder

Quote:
I have 3
Doesn't everyone?
thatguy87 likes this.

Unread 11-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #73
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticelk View Post
I would really like to hear what exactly makes a pickup "djenty" of its own accord. I admit to having a poor grasp of the sound/style/whatever, but isn't it usually achieved through aggressive pre- and post-gain EQ? Does it really matter what the pickup is, under those conditions? Cleary many people think so, or everyone wouldn't be in such a swooning frenzy over BKPs, but I just don't get it. In any event, if this is a pickup that Tosin uses, and he's generally considered to have a "djent" sound by people who care about such things, why *not* call it a DjentBar?
All that matters is whether Tosin or Bulb use it. Duh...

If one of them touches any instance of said pickup the rest all become inherently djenty.

Konfyouzd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #74
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Tom can you get the depth and height for these? A 707 is 3.5" x 1.5" x .75" and an 808 is 4" x 1.5" x .75" (the 808 size is definite, the 707 thickness of .75" may not be exact but I believe the 707 and 808 are the same thickness)

Also, sent you an email, might go with a pair of these in the KxK 7 Scale I have in progress

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #75
Tranquil insurgent

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomancer View Post
Tom can you get the depth and height for these? A 707 is 3.5" x 1.5" x .75" and an 808 is 4" x 1.5" x .75" (the 808 size is definite, the 707 thickness of .75" may not be exact but I believe the 707 and 808 are the same thickness)
http://www.lacemusic.com/pdf/BB_specs.pdf

-The Gospel of Thomas

-Rabbi Shneur Zalman