homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Marketplace > Dealers & Group Buys
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Dealers & Group Buys Classifieds from dealers, and bulk-order discounts for ss.org members.

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-07-2011, 11:50 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

frank falbo is a splendid one to beholdfrank falbo is a splendid one to beholdfrank falbo is a splendid one to beholdfrank falbo is a splendid one to beholdfrank falbo is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Talking Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Actives SS.org Run - Passive Sized!!

THIS IS THE THREAD.

Please reply in this thread I you're in for a run of passive sized active 7-string humbuckers, made with a "different, older" preamp topology than the one found on Blackouts. I have confirmed that the new preamp is the same as the old one, just 2-3 different parts to lower the gain. For this reason I think we will be able to do a low gain and high gain version, depending on the orders we get for each. Type here if you're in I'll be back with more details later.

Details:
Products: This will be a Custom Shop run that can include any of the following pickups-
  • Phase 1 Passive Sized 7-String Blackout with "old-school" preamp
  • Phase 1 Passive Sized 7-String Blackout with "lowered-gain old school preamp"
  • Phase 2 Soapbar Sized 7-String Blackout with "old-school" preamp
  • Phase 2 Soapbar Sized 7-String Blackout with "lowered-gain old school preamp"
  • True Passive Construction (like THIS) 7-String passive coils with an integrated preamp (old school or lowered gain) loaded onto the back of the pickup. For guys who want the passive look and tone of individual pole pieces.

All pickups available neck(alnico) and/or bridge (ceramic)

No limit to the number of pickups ordered.

Ordering will have a cutoff date, I'll update it once I have a firm completion date of the preamps in a couple days. Send your orders to Derek Duncan's pm inbox

Special Pricing: These pickups will be offered up for $109 each. This includes the additional hand work I may agree to take on to aid fitting.

Shipping: Our Custom Shop can't ship outside the US. There is some kind of restriction. When we've done a custom run on the SD forum, someone usually volunteers to take delivery and ship to anyone outside the US who wants to participate. Of course, that volunteer is well taken care of by his international buddies. Either way, we'll find a way to take care of anyone outside the US.

================================================== =======

We'll make Alnico or Ceramic. For us that's easiest to refer to as neck (a) and bridge (c). These will all be old school preamp clones, not Blackouts preamps. The tone and headroom will match the "other guys", and bear in mind the "X" preamp is still the old school preamp design. It just has a couple gain resistors swapped for around 6dB less gain.

Ordering will be very personal and interactive. If we're not clear about something on a particular order you'll hear from us.

I'd like all the orders sent to Derek Duncan's pm inbox. In the order you can include an email address but do not include a credit card number. We'll handle that in a secure way, and communicate that with you. In the order just tell us what want, we'll take it from there. Refer to my previous post for the proposed iterations. Specify the size, and the sound (ceramic + lower gain, etc.)

If anything is unclear tell me what needs clarification, but remember the individual ordering will flesh out just about anything.
AdAstra2025 likes this.
frank falbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-08-2011, 12:04 AM   #2
SS Contributor

cyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
In.
cyril v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 01:41 AM   #3
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

djpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 136 reviews
Totally in!!

(hoping they are SD passive sized and not BO Phase 1)
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 02:43 AM   #4

leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
Im in and will be very curious to try them out. Id really like to know if we can expect them to be the exact same size as the phase 1 blackouts or if they will be more shallow so that zero routing will be required.
leonardo7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
what?!?

Location: portland, oregon, melbourne, australia and singapore.
daniboy is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
in.

the good guys: battousai, tmm, clydefrog, drache713, edroz, ultimaweapon, k-roll, moshwitz
daniboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 07:18 PM   #6
ss.org Regulator

AdAstra2025 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In if the price is manageable on my end

You took my nads, Dennis!
AdAstra2025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
Banned

Kamikaze7 is just really niceKamikaze7 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstra2025 View Post
In if the price is manageable on my end
^ This... The price tag is one of the things determining me being in on this. The only downfall is that I don't have a guitar that they'd go in, all of mine are routed for the normal current EMG's...

Unless I sell the black and red splatter guitar for a replacement M107...
Kamikaze7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
Pronounced "FEE"

BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/BigPhi84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
In, depending on price and shape/depth (Don't want to rout out any of my valuable guitars.)

Self-appointed member of the Sevenstring.org Welcoming Committee
(alongside Bloody_Inferno, Zealous, Shawn, Apophis, AliceAxe, M3CHKILLA, Fred the Shred, Explorer, and Sebastian) ROFL

My Policy: If you make me laugh in a post or offer something interesting/thought-provoking, you get Rep +1. Pretty simple, right? Waiting now for incoming barrage of funny jokes.

BigPhi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 11:47 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

Decipher is just really niceDecipher is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardo7 View Post
Im in and will be very curious to try them out. Id really like to know if we can expect them to be the exact same size as the phase 1 blackouts or if they will be more shallow so that zero routing will be required.
This. I REALLY want actives in my K-7 but cringe at the thought of taking a router to it!!

My arguement: Technology is getting more advanced and compact EVERYWHERE.... I recall the S.D. response to the extra height for the Phase 1's was so that they could fit everything in properly..... Surely we can reduce the height by now no?
Decipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 12:02 AM   #10
Ambiente Savante

signalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to all
IN....terested.
id like to hear more about the project and the details.
signalgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 12:49 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

frank falbo is a splendid one to beholdfrank falbo is a splendid one to beholdfrank falbo is a splendid one to beholdfrank falbo is a splendid one to beholdfrank falbo is a splendid one to behold
I'm working on the sizing right now. I pretty much have to use the Blackouts Phase 1 cover. If I have to, I'll set up a router jig and shave off some depth from everywhere except the ears. One way to save depth is to forego the 3-pin connector. If we do a standard cable exit we can shave more down. I'll let you guys know more about the dimensions Monday. In the mean time here are both for reference:

Seymour Duncan [www.seymourduncan.com] - Products - Humbuckers - 7 String SH-1

Seymour Duncan [www.seymourduncan.com] - Products - Humbuckers - AHB-1 7-strg. Phase I

Pricing: These will be Custom Shop pickups made just for SS.org members. That said, I believe I can still keep the price to the same or less than the typical USA street price of a 707-X. I'm going to set a participation goal. If enough people participate I'll be able to charge $10 less for everyone.
Unread 10-09-2011, 01:03 AM   #12
GHETTO KING OF SWAG

The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.
In.

I don't even have passive-routed guitars, and I'm an EMG fanboy, but I've never seen a company actually give a shit like this. You've earned my money.

If you're going to 'like' my posts, give me some rep instead.

"
i just laughed at my own reflection, not sure if ugly or drunk" -Murmel

The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 01:45 AM   #13
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

djpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnatedjpharoah is Odin incarnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank falbo View Post
I'm working on the sizing right now. I pretty much have to use the Blackouts Phase 1 cover. If I have to, I'll set up a router jig and shave off some depth from everywhere except the ears. One way to save depth is to forego the 3-pin connector. If we do a standard cable exit we can shave more down. I'll let you guys know more about the dimensions Monday. In the mean time here are both for reference:

Seymour Duncan [www.seymourduncan.com] - Products - Humbuckers - 7 String SH-1

Seymour Duncan [www.seymourduncan.com] - Products - Humbuckers - AHB-1 7-strg. Phase I

Pricing: These will be Custom Shop pickups made just for SS.org members. That said, I believe I can still keep the price to the same or less than the typical USA street price of a 707-X. I'm going to set a participation goal. If enough people participate I'll be able to charge $10 less for everyone.
I'm so very interested Frank - the only issue is if you use the Duncan BO Phase 1 shells the extra thickness of the shell will prevent it from fitting in my guitar. Routing is not an option. The routes in this guitar fit your SD Passive pickups perfectly (had a custom/jazz 7).

Keep us posted on the dimensions.
Unread 10-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

For special cases, I may be able to sand just enough off the sides of the covers to match the passive dimension after epoxy. Then we'd tape off the top and bottom, and sandblast the sides so you had a "satin finish" side instead of gloss. Take a look at the Phase 1 dimension and tell me which dimension was the problem: 1.470" or 3.150" or both?
Unread 10-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #15
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank falbo View Post
For special cases, I may be able to sand just enough off the sides of the covers to match the passive dimension after epoxy. Then we'd tape off the top and bottom, and sandblast the sides so you had a "satin finish" side instead of gloss. Take a look at the Phase 1 dimension and tell me which dimension was the problem: 1.470" or 3.150" or both?
It's a bit of both. The North-to-South coil width (1.470") is larger than the route as is the side to side width of 3.150". Along with normal concerns of the depth - those would be the dimension requirements I'd need to get these to fit.

My North-To-South coil width is at max 3.65cm/1.420" and the treble to bass width for the coils is 7.82cm/3.078". Don't quote me on these yet since I'm using a ruler instead of a digital micrometer from work but that's about where these would have to be with the BO phase 1 shell modified.
Unread 10-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #16
djentleman

orakle is a jewel in the rough
I'm in !

Also, will we ever see a 7 string version of the AHB-3 ?
orakle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #17
SS Contributor

cyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by orakle View Post
I'm in !

Also, will we ever see a 7 string version of the AHB-3 ?
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure you could probably order that through the custom shop normally. Give the Custom Shop a ring, they'll let you know for sure.
cyril v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #18
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

Guys - let's not derail this thread with requests outside of the one Frank's trying to help us out with
Unread 10-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #19

leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.leonardo7 is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
I dont understand why if the 6 string blackouts fit without routing then why cant the 7 string? The 6 string blackouts do fit without routing right? Luckily I already have a guitar I routed for phase 1 blackouts so if they dont fit passive routes perfectly I do have a guitar to try them out in, otherwise I would not be interested.
leonardo7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #20
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardo7 View Post
I dont understand why if the 6 string blackouts fit without routing then why cant the 7 string? The 6 string blackouts do fit without routing right? Luckily I already have a guitar I routed for phase 1 blackouts so if they dont fit passive routes perfectly I do have a guitar to try them out in, otherwise I would not be interested.
The 7 string BO ones are a smidge bigger than their passive sized SDs 7s. I hope something can be done for dimensions on this run - I'm eager to see what Frank and the SD CS can do.
Unread 10-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #21
ss.org Regular

Exploder will become famous soon enough
I'm in! Would this be a bridge pickup or a set or what?

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud. - H.R.
Exploder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #22
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploder View Post
I'm in! Would this be a bridge pickup or a set or what?
Hopefully it's a pair so that you can rock a bridge/neck setup. Wait for more details from Frank.
Unread 10-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #23
Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator

Frank - any updates?
Unread 10-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #24
SS.org Regular

Decipher is just really niceDecipher is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Decipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #25
SS.org Regular

Okay here are some updates, I'll edit the opening thread as well:

Products: This will be a Custom Shop run that can include any of the following pickups-
  • Phase 1 Passive Sized 7-String Blackout with "old-school" preamp
  • Phase 1 Passive Sized 7-String Blackout with "lowered-gain old school preamp"
  • Phase 2 Soapbar Sized 7-String Blackout with "old-school" preamp
  • Phase 2 Soapbar Sized 7-String Blackout with "lowered-gain old school preamp"
  • True Passive Construction (like THIS) 7-String passive coils with an integrated preamp (old school or lowered gain) loaded onto the back of the pickup. For guys who want the passive look and tone of individual pole pieces.

All pickups available neck and/or bridge
No limit to the number of pickups ordered.
Ordering will have a cutoff date, I'll update it once I have a firm completion date of the preamps in a couple days.
Special Pricing: These pickups will be offered up for $109 each. This includes the additional hand work I may agree to take on to aid fitting.
Shipping: Our Custom Shop can't ship outside the US. There is some kind of restriction. When we've done a custom run on the SD forum, someone usually volunteers to take delivery and ship to anyone outside the US who wants to participate. Of course, that volunteer is well taken care of by his international buddies. Either way, we'll find a way to take care of anyone outside the US.

djpharoah-I'll know by end of day whether I can shave off enough to hit 1.420" x 3.078". It takes almost all of the cover away on the sides, but it's epoxied so at that point the pickup basically becomes a solid brick.