homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Marketplace > Dealers & Group Buys
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Dealers & Group Buys Classifieds from dealers, and bulk-order discounts for ss.org members.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

Guitarchitect is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Connecting the fingerboard - Visualizing Modes

Hey Everyone,

For those of you interested in connecting the fingerboard (in a way outside of CAGED), I've been excerpting and serializing my mode book online and have put some posts up on visualizing (and ultimately using) modes.

All the examples are 6 string - but are applicable to 7/8 or anything else tuned in 4ths.

The introductory concepts are pretty basic - but will get into more advanced ideas as it goes on. I should be on the Mel. Minor/Harm Minor chapters by October.

This is just one approach among many other valid ones - but it may help you connect the fingerboard a little more.

The GuitArchitect’s Guide To Modes Part 1 – Seeing The Single String Major Scale « Guitarchitecture.org

The GuitArchitect’s Guide To Modes Part 2 – Seeing The Two String Major Scale « Guitarchitecture.org

The GuitArchitect

The GuitArchitect

The GuitArchitect

This may be helpful as well:

Making Music Out Of Scales « Guitarchitecture.org

Everything will get more in depth. But I hope it helps.

If you're new to playing - you may want to check out some of the practicing posts on the site before digging in.

---------------------
Obligatory plug:

The GuitArchitect’s Guide to Modes: Melodic Patterns, The GuitArchitect’s Positional Exploration, and The GuitArchitect’s Guide to Modes: Harmonic Combinatorics, are now available as bound editions!! Over 1,100 pages of reference and instruction!! Applicable to guitarists and bassists, this series is an invaluable resource for both compositional and improvisational material.”

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/guitarchitecture
Guitarchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-14-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

stuglue is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Good stuff
Did you know that you can simply sharpen the root note of a major scale to create the seventh mode of melodic minor, the Altered scale?
stuglue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

28mistertee is a jewel in the rough
Only had a brief look but this looks awesome, very thorough.
Is it only online to view as a book or will there be a paper version? (Sorry I'm old fashioned.) :p
28mistertee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 12:47 AM   #4
ss.org Regular

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I already have a couple of print books for sale but I wanted to have some free online resources up as well for people.

Having said that - I will have the modes book for sale eventually in print form for people who want it. But for now - serializing it gives me a chance to expose people to my approach and gives me a chance to edit the text in a different mindset than I'd have with editing a full blown book.

But if there are other questions/comments - I'll do my best to field them. It's also really helpful for me to see what clear in the text and what isn't. That'll help me edit it more effectively.

a lot more stuff is coming up - including disecting individual mode...

Thanks again!

---------------------
Obligatory plug:

The GuitArchitect’s Guide to Modes: Melodic Patterns, The GuitArchitect’s Positional Exploration, and The GuitArchitect’s Guide to Modes: Harmonic Combinatorics, are now available as bound editions!! Over 1,100 pages of reference and instruction!! Applicable to guitarists and bassists, this series is an invaluable resource for both compositional and improvisational material.”

Unread 09-15-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

28mistertee is a jewel in the rough
I'd be definitely interested in a hard copy.
Where do I sign up? Lol!
28mistertee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:36 PM   #6
ss.org Regular

Thanks for the interest. You can just subscribe to the blog - then when any updates pop up - you'll get an e-mail.

In the meantime here's part 5 of the series - using a single fingering pattern to play all the modes:

http://guitarchitecture.org/2011/09/...f-one-pattern/

It's not the most efficient way to get around the fingerboard - but if you're only going to learn 1 shape - this isn't a bad one to know.

I hope it helps!

-Scott

---------------------
Obligatory plug:

Unread 10-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
ss.org Regular

Part 6 of this series is up now:

http://guitarchitecture.org/2011/10/...f-one-pattern/

It deals with key singatures, the circle of fifths and some modal shortcuts. More theory related than the other posts - but could be a good refresher/clarifier on some theory issues....

I hope it helps!

---------------------
Obligatory plug: