homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Marketplace > Dealers & Group Buys
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Dealers & Group Buys Classifieds from dealers, and bulk-order discounts for ss.org members.

Like Tree227Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Chris Woodle

Superwoodle is just really niceSuperwoodle is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool S8 Build, Eight String Saber

Helloww everyone here at SS!
I’m starting an eight string build soon, which I have been designing since September of 2010. I’ve put over 40 hours into drawing this ERG and hope to finish around July (or before summer break ends and I begin the 10th grade).

Specs:
• Mahogany, Ibanez S Series body shape and contours
• Bolt on Maple, Cherry, Bamboo neck (undecided)
• Maple Fret board w/24 SS jumbos
• 28” Scale, 10.7mm bridge string spacing.
• White finish with matching headstock
• Bareknuckle pickups. Djent!
• Sperzel tuners
• Individual bridge saddle I designed and am getting machined
• Strap locks
• Tuned F#,B,E,A,D,G,B,E
• Volume, Tone and Pickup selector

Delicious Solidworks drawings:

Wood!

I may do a maple, cherry, bamboo laminate neck of some sorts, I’m not quite sure.

Thanks all
-Woodle

Click for the Facebook page

***S8 Build, Eight String Saber*** COMPLETED
Superwoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

MaKo´s Tethan is shredding to new heights.MaKo´s Tethan is shredding to new heights.MaKo´s Tethan is shredding to new heights.MaKo´s Tethan is shredding to new heights.MaKo´s Tethan is shredding to new heights.MaKo´s Tethan is shredding to new heights.MaKo´s Tethan is shredding to new heights.
You have mi up thumbs on this project, I always wanted to see an 8 strings Saber!

MaKo´s Tethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 11:32 AM   #3
Brojangles

Devotion is a jewel in the rough
STEWMAC.COM : Mini Toggle Switches

I believe it is this kind of switches you're looking for? Looking forward to see this finished! (starter pics are always fun to watch too *hint*)
AxeHappy likes this.
Devotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
has wood for you

scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/scherzo1928 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Oh man, this should be interesting.
scherzo1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
FINALLY! I've wanted to see a S8 forever. Good luck.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/signaturepics/sigpic17517_3.gif
Customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
ss.org Regular

mrfunk is headed in the right direction.
I cant imagine having the will to do this project in 9nth grade, now in 11th, I still dont haha. Best of luck to you on this project. I recomend you email Tim at BKP to tell you what pick up would be good for you for the neck position. I cant wait to see this finished.
mrfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #7

Ruins is a name known to allRuins is a name known to allRuins is a name known to allRuins is a name known to all
nice modeling! i am looking forward to see this happening! totally delicious build.
Ruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
ΩGJ :3

Alberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to behold
Wow! I want to keep track of this I approve of your design . It looks wonderful!

Sum ergo cogito; cogito ergo dubito; dubito ergo cogito; cogito ergo sum.
Alberto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 02:04 AM   #9
SS.org Regular

CD1221 is just really niceCD1221 is just really nice
excellent specs there. get into it now!
CD1221 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/

BlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud ofBlackMastodon has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Should be really interesting, though the saber body might look a bit odd with an 8 string neck. We'll just have to see.
BlackMastodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

IconW is just really niceIconW is just really nice
Delicious.

IconW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #12
Chris Woodle

Thanks everyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devotion View Post
STEWMAC.COM : Mini Toggle Switches
I believe it is this kind of switches you're looking for? Looking forward to see this finished! (starter pics are always fun to watch too *hint*)
Yes, thanks, I don’t know much about guitar electronics so I'll look around learn some more on how to wire this type of switch properly.

Any way,

I’m trying something a little different here. Instead of traditional flat electronics covers, I’m going to make one following the contours of the body.

Also, I haven’t drawn in any of the cutaways or necks heal contours, and the body contours are not perfect.

Unread 03-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

idunno is just really niceidunno is just really nice
Looks good, im real interested to see how the curved cavity cover comes out. Good luck, lotsa pics!
idunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 10:58 PM   #14
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Watch the balance.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 12:54 AM   #15
Mangled Beef

Shredcow is a glorious beacon of lightShredcow is a glorious beacon of lightShredcow is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm thinking that the headstock should be made smaller - as small as possible actually.

And go for non-locking tuners to further lighten the headstock side - either sperzel's open back or the hipshot ones. I don't know which is lighter though.
Shredcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #16
Shrederick

Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.Fred the Shred won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
It looks great, dude! It's worth suggesting one thing, though, namely extending the upper horn a bit due to balance concerns - the neck is wider and longer than on our usual 7-string Sabres, and there's a bit of extra mass to consider, headstock included. Personally, a slightly elongated horn (ending on the 12th fret mark, for instance), would be my approach to ensure she doesn't neckdive like crazy.

Buy my album, will you? My store | CDBaby
FredBrum.com
Happily endorsed by Jaden Rose Guitars, Bare Knuckle Pickups, Gruv Gear, Sik Pik Picks, PHD Picks and Spectraflex cables
Fred the Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #17
Chris Woodle

Does the RG2228 have neck diving problems? My current design is similarly proportioned to the RG.

I will re-proportion the horn forward though and the neck back about .25”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredcow View Post
I'm thinking that the headstock should be made smaller - as small as possible actually.

And go for non-locking tuners to further lighten the headstock side - either sperzel's open back or the hipshot ones. I don't know which is lighter though.
I want locking, I’m thinking about trying the Sperzel open locking tuners.

Unread 03-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #18
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superwoodle View Post
Does the RG2228 have neck diving problems?
Yes. The RG2228 isn't what I'd call an ideally balanced instrument, though the super heavy bridge and full thickness body do help a lot. It's not awfully out of balance, but strap style and position are key.

Your Saber will likely have a heavier headstock, heavier neck, and a slightly lighter body. Those factors are a recipe for neck dive.

All I'm saying is that you should be mindful of the balance. Even the most beautiful, finely crafted guitar will suck to play if you have to fight to keep it in your hands.

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #19
Poland CEO / RHLC ©

Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.Sebastian is his own personal hero.
That will be a really interesting built! I'll be definitely checking this thread out in the future

S7Figures.DeviantArt.com - Metal Figures!
Sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #20
Real. Groggy. Human.

lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/lobee is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I like that you're doing your own twist on the Saber, especially in leaving the upper horn thick like an RG. Can't wait to see how this build turns out.

Have you thought about going headless? I would cream my jeans for a headless S8 and/or S7!
lobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #21
Chris Woodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOfMetal View Post
Yes. The RG2228 isn't what I'd call an ideally balanced instrument, though the super heavy bridge and full thickness body do help a lot. It's not awfully out of balance, but strap style and position are key.

Your Saber will likely have a heavier headstock, heavier neck, and a slightly lighter body. Those factors are a recipe for neck dive.

All I'm saying is that you should be mindful of the balance. Even the most beautiful, finely crafted guitar will suck to play if you have to fight to keep it in your hands.
I’ll defiantly keep those factors in mind. Thanks.
I moved the horn further and the neck back about a total of .75” I’m not quite sure where the ideal center of mass should be though (Pink origin).

Cardboard

Unread 03-28-2011, 03:51 PM   #22
ss.org Regular

stupidspoge is on a distinguished road
I assume it should be about midway between the strap buttons.
In your plans, the top horn is pretty thick looking. I would suggest making that a little thinner. It causes the center of gravity to move towards the headstock too.
stupidspoge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 04:19 PM   #23
Luthier Vandross

SJT2 has a spectacular aura about
I think this is one of the best ideas ever. If this guitar balances out I'm sure it will play and sound amazing. I have my S7320 in my hands and I can picture another string on it with no problem. Get to work so I have something good to read!

Good luck.
SJT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #24
Chris Woodle

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidspoge View Post
I assume it should be about midway between the strap buttons.
In your plans, the top horn is pretty thick looking. I would suggest making that a little thinner. It causes the center of gravity to move towards the headstock too.
I planned to do that, it was a little too difficult to preform that contouring and I'm Lazy.

I’m still searching for solutions to help with preventing neck dive, possibly a titanium truss rod, or carbon fiber inserts, but I made small miscalculation with my drawing (solid brass tuners=heavy) , so I changed them to solid aluminum, though I’m not sure how much Sperzel open locking tuners weigh and sent them an Email. So ASSUMING those tuners don’t weigh more than solid aluminum, my Center of mass moves to:

which, from balancing several guitars on my hand, is ASSUMINGLY about where the center of mass needs to be to prevent neck dive.

Also, I went through my collection of wood looking for some maple.

Got wood? I got plenty.
Most of it have been in my garage for 40 years and its mostly mahogany, like that 14”x74” piece, but I have 6 beams of unknown species that might be suitable for several other necks (hint, hint future projects ) If I can find out what they are made of.

These pieces are of cherry, pine and maple, all about seven to eight feet long
After the great endeavor, I came out with these:

I think they are made of maple. I will start making the neck tomorrow.

Unread 03-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #25
SS Contributor

jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.jordanky is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
This excites me... I would love to have an 8 string S!

Beard Sound Machines Jazzmaster
Beard Sound Machines Jazzcaster
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Fender AVRI '52 Reissue Telecaster
First Act Custom Shop Delia/Delia LS Hybrid

Vox AC30C2

@beardsoundmachines
lostswimmer.bandcamp.com
jordanky is offline   Reply With Quote