homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming Tech support, gaming, gadgets, electronics and general computer discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-04-2009, 07:40 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

sPliNtEr_777 is a glorious beacon of lightsPliNtEr_777 is a glorious beacon of lightsPliNtEr_777 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Question Need for Speed: Shift

The latest in the NFS series is coming real soon, but I wondered if anyone knew whether customisation and modification is still on the boards for the NFS fans?

Ive been a religious fan of the series since NFS:Hot Pursuit 2, but recently their games, with the exeption of Carbon, have been gash. Shift claims to be the best since Underground 2, except with a slightly different flavour. Apparently a bigger emphasis has been placed on legality and realistic on-track racing, making it more competitive to games like the coming soon Forza 3 and GT5, or the recent PS3 hit Racing Driver:Grid. My concern is that what made me fall in love with NFS, luxury cars and ridiculous modifactions, is gone, and that we'll be left with a second rate GT5 to fill the gap until the real thing is released.

Anyone know more about the game, or have the same worry as I do?

Discuss?
sPliNtEr_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
pixel pusher

mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I fear it will probably be more towards GT5. I too love the Underground and Carbon incarnations of the game and all the customization combined with the big free roam city. I wish they would just stick with that instead of trying to be more realistic.

Surprisingly I found Midnight Club LA gave me a fix of that NFS vibe and I bought and customized lots of cars (guessing around 20) until I ran out of garage space. It had a very big city (then East LA add on too for even more) and solid graphics.
mikernaut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
Ex Whiny Bitch

Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Need for Speed: Shift - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bullshit.
Scar Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
Banned

Scali is just really niceScali is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've been playing NFS since the original version back in the mid-90s, and the Test Drive series before that (somehow the original NFS seemed to be almost an exact remake of Test Drive, nearly all cars were the same).

I like the aspect of racing supercars on regular roads and such. I don't really want all this Japanese neon/drift junk that the later NFS-series suffered from.
The original NFS, Porsche 2000 and Hot Pursuit 2 are among my favourites in the series. I must say, Most Wanted and Carbon weren't bad either, although they took the game into a different direction (well actually Underground did, but I didn't like either version of that).
Scali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
ss.org Regular

darbdavys is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
it's a sim. it is ABSOLUTELY different from all of the games in the series. it's like Forza and Gran Turismo.

Need For Speed SHIFT Video Game, Career Walkthrough Part 1 HD | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

The whole image is that eternal suffering awaits anyone who questions God's infinite love. That's the message we're brought up with, isn't it? Believe or die! Thank you, forgiving Lord, for all those options.
darbdavys is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

sPliNtEr_777 is a glorious beacon of lightsPliNtEr_777 is a glorious beacon of lightsPliNtEr_777 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikernaut View Post
I fear it will probably be more towards GT5. I too love the Underground and Carbon incarnations of the game and all the customization combined with the big free roam city. I wish they would just stick with that instead of trying to be more realistic.

Surprisingly I found Midnight Club LA gave me a fix of that NFS vibe and I bought and customized lots of cars (guessing around 20) until I ran out of garage space. It had a very big city (then East LA add on too for even more) and solid graphics.
totally agree. loved MCLA, infact I still dip in and out of it, it never got boring and the variety of options was astounding, as soon as I started losing interest they released new car/street packs and then it got good allover again. I absolutley love that game.

If it were up to me, I would release NFS underground 3, directly following on, perhaps a year or two later, after underground 2. Same city, more cars, more options, police car chases straight outta Hot pursuit 2, more magazine photoshoots, and perhaps some half naked totty. You hear that EA???
sPliNtEr_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
Toast Wiper

Hawkevil is a jewel in the rough
I loved Need For Speed: Most Wanted and played it a lot but the rest after that seemed kind of bland. I bought Pro Street for cheap and completly hated it. I played it for about 5 minutes...

I love sim racers too and play Race Pro on the Xbox 360 and GTR Evo on the PC quite a lot so I'm looking forward to Shift but I really want a demo though as they are saying it's a sim but from the videos it looks a bit too forgiving for a sim so the only way to tell is to actually try it myself...

My music and cover song videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/hawkevil2006

My songs in better quality:
https://soundcloud.com/chris-tranmer-1
Hawkevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
The Sexecutioner

leigh321f is a jewel in the rough
Hot Pursuit 2 and Most Wanted i think wer definitely the best in the series.

I'm actually a lil hesitant about Shift tho... the last time they tried to do track racing we got ProStreet.... and that sucked giant sweaty donkey balls....

please don't .... it up EA!

Heard Melodies are sweet, But those unheard are sweeter.
leigh321f is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2009, 07:05 AM   #9
Toast Wiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh321f View Post
Hot Pursuit 2 and Most Wanted i think wer definitely the best in the series.

I'm actually a lil hesitant about Shift tho... the last time they tried to do track racing we got ProStreet.... and that sucked giant sweaty donkey balls....

please don't .... it up EA!
At least Shift doesn't seem to have that hollywoodised style thing going on. That pissed me off just as much as the car handleing.

Unread 09-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #10
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkevil View Post
I loved Need For Speed: Most Wanted and played it a lot but the rest after that seemed kind of bland. I bought Pro Street for cheap and completly hated it. I played it for about 5 minutes...

I love sim racers too and play Race Pro on the Xbox 360 and GTR Evo on the PC quite a lot so I'm looking forward to Shift but I really want a demo though as they are saying it's a sim but from the videos it looks a bit too forgiving for a sim so the only way to tell is to actually try it myself...
demo will only be released when the game's released.

as for ....ing up, it's another developer then other games, so it won't have anything similar to nfs. all other ones were arcade (including pro street), so comparing Shift with other games in the series is almost the same as comparing Gran Turismo with Super Mario Kart.

The whole image is that eternal suffering awaits anyone who questions God's infinite love. That's the message we're brought up with, isn't it? Believe or die! Thank you, forgiving Lord, for all those options.
Unread 09-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #11
pixel pusher

mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.mikernaut is his own personal hero.
It seems to me that there are 2 groups of NFS fans, the people that like the realism approach and the people that like the arcady versions. But to me it seems silly to try and make it like Gran Turismo. If people want that they will buy Gran Tursimo itself.
Unread 09-07-2009, 05:33 AM   #12
Is A Complete Idiot.

GazPots has much to be proud ofGazPots has much to be proud ofGazPots has much to be proud ofGazPots has much to be proud ofGazPots has much to be proud ofGazPots has much to be proud of
Well not if you own an xbox.

I was a GT nutter since it's creation but after the ps2 i chose the xbox and xbox 360 for live and compatability with with my mates. And a few years down the line and the only real racing sim is Forza, which is good. But i welcome more sim racers on xbox.

Because i'll probably buy it.

http://www.youtube.com/GazPots <--- Guitar vids.

www.soundclick.com/GazTop <--- Random Guitar tunes.
GazPots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 05:45 AM   #13
ಠ_ಠ

Marv Attaxx is a name known to allMarv Attaxx is a name known to allMarv Attaxx is a name known to allMarv Attaxx is a name known to all
I didn't like any NFS game since NFS 3: Hot Pursuit
The games became boring since then imho. They didn't progress on the technical side (30 frames/per second while the Burnout series used 60 from the beginning and it just felt way better than the nfs slideshow) and I've never been a tuning fan. The tuning might be fun but the normal races and the drift shit bored the hell outa me
I hope they get their shit together with this new game altough I agree that it probably won't last long against GT5 and Forca...

EDIT: I'm talking about the console version
It might work better on high end pcs but NFS was and will always be a console game for me
Marv Attaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 05:47 AM   #14
Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.
i absolutely LOVED the underground series, as well as Most Wanted. Carbon was...hmmm...weird. i loved the new tuning system for the bodykits etc., but the "flair" already got abit lost in that one. Pro Street was shit. Undergorund, well, a step forward in a good direction, but WAY too short (i borrowed it from a friend for a day and was already on ~80% - never bought it then).

i was hoping for the new one to go back to the "underground" style of the game, as there are imho already more than enough sims out there, and with GT a leading one that cannot be beaten.
petereanima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 01:02 PM   #15
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by petereanima View Post

i was hoping for the new one to go back to the "underground" style of the game, as there are imho already more than enough sims out there, and with GT a leading one that cannot be beaten.
LOL? compare the amount of arcade and sim games for pc. hmm, rfactor, lfs and.... that's ....in it. I'm really glad with this new NFS approach (again, whether you loved the previous nfs games, you can forget that love, because it's a different game. you can call it Shift w/o the NFS, because it mostly hasn't got anything to do with NFS), because there is a serious lack of sims on PC

Unread 09-08-2009, 04:22 AM   #16
Br00tal Bubbly Mofo

petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.petereanima is pretty damn metal.
maybe. again: i'm a Playstation-only gamer, i dont know about the situation for computer-games. for PS there is Gran Turismo, and every other sim just cant reacht that level, so its pretty unneccessary to release another one.
petereanima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 09:22 AM   #17
Toast Wiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by petereanima View Post
maybe. again: i'm a Playstation-only gamer, i dont know about the situation for computer-games. for PS there is Gran Turismo, and every other sim just cant reacht that level, so its pretty unneccessary to release another one.
There's always more room for sim racers IMO...

If you look at the Xbox 360 you have got Forza 2 and Race Pro being the two sims. Froza 2 has WAY more content than race pro does and has better graphics, but the physics of Race pro are a lot better. Thats why I prefer Race Pro over Forza, it is just a lot more fun to play.

Gran Turismo is the same as the Forza. It is rammed full of content but the physics look OK at best. From videos I have seen it looks as though the cars are going at a snails pace. There is no real sense of speed and this just takes away a lot of the fun factor IMO.

Shift might not be the most realistic but it looks fun from the videos...

Unread 09-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #18
Banned

orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.orb451 is shredding to new heights.
I got NFS:Shift last night. The last NFS title I played was on the original Xbox (NFS:Underground) and after that Burnout 2 + 3, PGR3 + 4, Forza 2. I really liked Underground for all the geeky customization things you could do with it. Burnout 2 + 3 were fun for just all out arcade style mashups, PGR3 and to a lesser extent 4 were good balance between fun & semi-realism. Forza 2 was too "realistic" for my liking. I liked all the customization options in it and all the stuff you could tweak and tune on your car but it got tiring for me really fast.

Well after playing through the first 4 races of Career mode in Shift I'm glad to see a nice balance between sweet ass graphics, decent handling cars and semi-realistic physics.

I don't know if I'd call this one a "sim", not sure if that's what they were going for. What I like is a game that I can pickup and play from the get go that feels like a racing game without being a slave to realism OR being too cartoony.

Good game so far though and the first to divert my attention from COD for longer than 5 minutes which is a feat in and of itself (at least for me).
orb451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2009, 08:54 AM   #19
pixel pusher

I picked it up last night too, (traded stuff in for it , heh). It does seem to fit in between arcade-ish and simulation style. Initially I was playing on "casual" setting and was finding it was holding my hand too much with breaking and acceleration assists. So I had to change the difficulty so it didn't do that so much. I was taking 1st place for 7 races in a row and I'm not that good of a driver, hah

The cockpit views look great but I'm bad at that view and have to go back to 3rd person. Customization seems very basic, some paint options , performance upgrades and vinyls and then just bodykits. You can go in and do performance tweaking if you choose.

The vinyls look pretty poor IMO and I don't think you can plaster them on like past NFS's. You can't even see your car when you cycle thru the body kits to see how it's appearance will change because all the text boxes are on top blocking your view.

Gameplaywise it seems decently fun so far and it's starting to get faster and more challenging. So far I am just driving a Nissan 350z and putting my money into performance parts for it. You do see to level up quickly (atleast for now) because you constantly earn points for driving with precision or aggression.

There are plenty of gameplay vids on youtube or gametrailers.com, if you are still curious about the game. If your really into your driving sims this may not be a game you will totally enjoy. Also if you loved the undergrounds and most wanted ( which I did), it is pretty different from those but I still am enjoying something new to play right now.
Unread 10-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #20
likes peanut butter

Daiephir is just really niceDaiephir is just really nice
I'm probably gonna buy it since its NFS, I played Underground 2 (I had alot of fun on it) and Most Wanted (my favorite one between the two) I also played Hot Pursuit 2 on computer (über meh feeling), and I bought Prostreet for 10 bucks (süper über meh). I have a anectode for that one, I found the free car marker early on, got the Zonda (best car of the game) boosted it to the max, and owned everything (My Viper, Skyline, Charger, Zonda Team was the ultimate thing). But its still more a simulation than an arcade game. I'll probably be happier with NFS:World Online (if I ever get my parents to buy high speed Internet cause I dont play online cause of that shitty Internet I has [it aint 56K tho])
Daiephir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2009, 07:49 PM   #21
Shred till your dead

SpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
I just got this on PC and it is awesome. Sort of like an upgraded version of the original Forza.

SpaceDock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 03:23 AM   #22
Is A Complete Idiot.

GazPots has much to be proud ofGazPots has much to be proud ofGazPots has much to be proud ofGazPots has much to be proud ofGazPots has much to be proud ofGazPots has much to be proud of
I downloaded the demo on xbox and found the incar dashboard view to be riduclously good.

You can even turn the whole hud off and run it on the actual dashboard dials.

Saying that, while the graphics are astoundingly good, the actual gameplay is still a bit arcadey for my liking.

Definatly give it a bash when it's half price or something in a few months.

http://www.youtube.com/GazPots <--- Guitar vids.

www.soundclick.com/GazTop <--- Random Guitar tunes.
GazPots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2009, 01:40 AM   #23
Foolish Mortal

Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.
No love for Project Gotham?
Xaios is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #24
SS.org Regular

ncbrock is a jewel in the rough
i agree that the physics of the cars are really arcady compared for Forza or GT, but thats what nfs is an arcade racer. Now if you get the actual game and mess around with the driver options\difficulty, and find where your comfortable at, and know how to tune a car, then you can get it to feel very realistic.
as its no Forza or GT, its a really fun game for the money.
ncbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 09:19 AM   #25
ss.org Regular

Metaldave will become famous soon enough
It's defo a step up from Pro-Street, that was a major let down! Also I like how it keeps you interested by the constant flow of points. I agree that the physics aren't as accurate as other games, but it's a lot better than the others from the series. I used to rely on bouncing off the other cars on the first corner to take the lead
Metaldave is offline   Reply With Quote