homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming Tech support, gaming, gadgets, electronics and general computer discussion here.

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By Alex6534
  • 1 Post By Hollowway
  • 1 Post By M3CHK1LLA
  • 2 Post By JStraitiff
  • 1 Post By Nyx Erebos
  • 1 Post By Pav
  • 1 Post By Xaios
  • 1 Post By The Grief Hole
  • 2 Post By MFB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-15-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
angel sword guardian

M3CHK1LLA is a splendid one to beholdM3CHK1LLA is a splendid one to beholdM3CHK1LLA is a splendid one to beholdM3CHK1LLA is a splendid one to beholdM3CHK1LLA is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Arrow Anyone here ever built a website?

a video game/movie store is giving me a shot at making a simple website for them.

also a guy who finds, collects & sells artifacts is wanting me to get his going, link it to ebay & keep it up and running.

never built one before so i was looking for some tips & ideas...

thx in advance!

from texas or live here? check in ---> http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/off...ers-check.html

I always thought Cliff getting killed instead of Lars was like John Lennon getting killed instead of Yoko - MJS
M3CHK1LLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 04:55 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

Alex6534 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm in a course just now doing web design, learning the basics of html and css are pretty simple and can get you going quite well. Will you be hand coding or using authoring software e.g. Dreamweaver? a good place to find some code snippets an get you started is W3Schools Online Web Tutorials
PM me if you need a hand with a particular task
M3CHK1LLA likes this.
Alex6534 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
angel sword guardian

M3CHK1LLA is a splendid one to beholdM3CHK1LLA is a splendid one to beholdM3CHK1LLA is a splendid one to beholdM3CHK1LLA is a splendid one to beholdM3CHK1LLA is a splendid one to behold
^ thx for the info...i'll chk it out.

anyone else? ideas?

from texas or live here? check in ---> http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/off...ers-check.html

I always thought Cliff getting killed instead of Lars was like John Lennon getting killed instead of Yoko - MJS
Unread 06-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This is of interest to me as I'm looking to learn too - I only know the very basics.

Must ask though, if you've never built one before and know nothing - how did these opportunities arise? I'd advise letting these companies look for somebody else, though, to avoid wasting their time. I don't mean that rudely at all - but surely it would take a long time to learn from scratch to a professional level?
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Extended Ranger

Hollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himselfHollowway is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Easiest thing to do is use a WYSIWYG site creation program. Like, if you sign up for Yahoo! web hosting there is a site builder tool that you can literally have a decent site up in a couple of hours. It doesn't do Flash, etc. but it's surprisingly good. I've used that to get something quick and dirty online, and then work on a more sophisticated one later.
M3CHK1LLA likes this.
Hollowway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
angel sword guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealEntity View Post
This is of interest to me as I'm looking to learn too - I only know the very basics.

Must ask though, if you've never built one before and know nothing - how did these opportunities arise? I'd advise letting these companies look for somebody else, though, to avoid wasting their time. I don't mean that rudely at all - but surely it would take a long time to learn from scratch to a professional level?
doing it as a favor to begin with...i do a lot of computer related design/work & on-line sales so, i figured this would be the next step. once i get things going then there should be some rewards. basically they just want to get things set up to sell and look professional.

thx for the tips so far guys, anyone else?
EtherealEntity likes this.

Unread 06-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
Melodic Mamma Jamma

JStraitiff is a jewel in the rough
ive built numerous sites. it was my business for a while. You should start with a free template that has a similar layout to yours and then tweak it to make it exactly what you want. This is what i do for all my sites except usually with my own templates that are easy to work off of. This way you'll have all the style sheets and everything all set up for you already and you'll, specifically as a newer designer, have less confusion when trying to set it all up.

My other biggest piece of advice is never agree to maintain a website unless you are being paid regularly for that work. Anytime you spend time on maintaining the site you should send them an invoice for your time. That is the worst part of the whole thing is when someone messes up something and doesnt tell you what they did and you have to sit there for hours upon hours trying to figure out they updated something or changed some code randomly cause they wanted to reword something.
K3V1N SHR3DZ and M3CHK1LLA like this.

JStraitiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

Nyx Erebos is a jewel in the rough
If it's just a website to display stuff it shouldn't be very hard but if it needs to be interactive and to manage a database, it's an incredible amount of work (seriously, building a solid and updatable website is not something trivial).

+1 to create a "standard" template in which you'll add whatever you need.

I hate web courses lol.
M3CHK1LLA likes this.
Nyx Erebos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
Pav
???

Pav is a jewel in the rough
In today's day and age building websites is nothing but a matter of time and attention to detail. Don't worry about trying to soak up tons of raw code if you have no experience; just get the latest Adobe Suite, learn to use Photoshop and Dreamweaver and you'll be cranking out impressive-looking sites in no time. I spent years learning HTML only to quickly realize that coding things in pure HTML is, quite simply, an obsolete way of doing it anymore.
M3CHK1LLA likes this.
Pav is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
Foolish Mortal

Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.Xaios harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pav View Post
In today's day and age building websites is nothing but a matter of time and attention to detail. Don't worry about trying to soak up tons of raw code if you have no experience; just get the latest Adobe Suite, learn to use Photoshop and Dreamweaver and you'll be cranking out impressive-looking sites in no time. I spent years learning HTML only to quickly realize that coding things in pure HTML is, quite simply, an obsolete way of doing it anymore.
Interestingly, I'm the exact opposite. I started out with WYSIWYG editors and, honestly, I hated them. So, I learned HTML and CSS (along with PHP) and never looked back.

In all fairness though, if productivity is a consideration, tweaking a pre-made template is probably the way to go.

Before you commit to anything though, make sure that you know what you're getting into. If they're looking for static webpages with information that rarely changes, you're probably okay. However, if they need dynamic content that will be updated regularly, walk away now and don't look back. If you've got the inclination, you could learn how to control a pre-made CMS such as Joomla or Wordpress, but if you don't already possess that knowledge, don't burden yourself for the sake of doing these guys a favor.
M3CHK1LLA likes this.

Revenge is a dish best served with nice biscuits.
Read the rules, fools!
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 02:36 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

The Grief Hole is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Wordpress. Easy to use and you can have a site ready in about an hour.
M3CHK1LLA likes this.

What doesn't kill you just really, really hurts you.
The Grief Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
MFB
ExBendable

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Why not use Dreamweaver? You get to do the layout/design aspect of it and it codes it for you.
M3CHK1LLA and texshred777 like this.

(・ω・`)

In space, no one can hear you bree. - Metal Ken
MFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #13
angel sword guardian

well i found out one of the guys was using weebly. his son started it and got the basics going. i learned how to use it and added 3 pages to it and consolidated a couple. i added pics, maps and links to other sites. i had fun doing it but it took a little time. i am getting faster tho. let me know what you think, heres the site...

Contact / Location - www.eliartifacts.com