homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming Tech support, gaming, gadgets, electronics and general computer discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
Awesome-O

Guitarmiester is just really niceGuitarmiester is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Xbox 360 Issues

I was about to play some COD MW3 until my 360 decided to give me an E74 message, which seems to be pretty common. Is this worth getting repaired or should I buy another 360?

I found an electronics shop in my area that would repair the unit for about $40, but that makes me wonder if they're going to try some of the sketchy repairs I've come across on youtube that are probably short term and cause more problems down the road.

Any insight or ideas?
Guitarmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
Guitar Popcicle

AK DRAGON is just really niceAK DRAGON is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've never had an issue with my 1st Gen XBox 360 but this might seem to be a good DIY fix

XBOX 360 Error E 74 Permanent Fix - YouTube
AK DRAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
Freemanologist

Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.Chickenhawk is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I've never personally encountered it, but my nephew fixed his by doing something similar to what AK DRAGON posted, but he didn't use pennies.

He had some copper heatsinks laying around (him and his father both work in the computer industry, and do a lot of side work). He chopped them up to fit, and hasn't had a problem since.

EDIT:

I'm not sure how the video fix would work, since the 'heatsinks' (taped together pennies), are completely covered with tape. You want metal-metal contact to draw away any heat created by the chip. The electrical tape is going to act as an insulator, and not let enough heat pass to the 'heatsink'.

Strange. But, in the world of 'hey-ill-fix-your-xbox-with-a-....ing-towel", it might work

Liberty has never come from the government.
Liberty has always come from the subjects of it.
The history of liberty is a history of resistance.
- Woodrow Wilson
Chickenhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
Awesome-O

I saw that video earlier, but didn't make it past the borefest of Mr. Awkward talking directly into the camera for who knows how long. Like all of the other DIY fixes, seems a little odd but could work.

I'm still debating whether I take it to someone for repair or buy a new Xbox.
Unread 12-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
Guitar Popcicle

AK DRAGON is just really niceAK DRAGON is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I didn't catch that the first time round.. goober.. I'd say solder those pennies together or as he calls them 'nickels'.
definately use some thermal grease to assist in heat transfer

Try fixing it yourself first. if that doesn't work then you can say you at least tried fixing it instead of spending retail for a new one
AK DRAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
Awesome-O

It does look like a really easy fix. I'll be sure to scrounge up some "nickels" that look strangely like pennies. I'll have to rewatch the video.

Has anyone opened up their Xbox before? I think I saw a bunch of videos on just being able to open up your 360 lol.
Unread 12-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #7
Awesome-O

Do any of you guys use a cooling fan?

The guy I took my 360 to is still working on it. It seems to be an issue with the GPU and there are also random spots on the circuit board that show signs of overheating. If he gets the thing running again, which he's confident he can do, I'd like to get a cooling unit.

A lot of the fans I've come across seem odd. Why would you attach a fan to the back of the unit when there's a fan blowing the hot air out in the same place? Seems counter-productive. The cooling fan stands look ideal, but I'd prefer to get one that has its own power supply, rather than running off the Xbox power or a USB slot.
Unread 12-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
THE. DEAD. SEASON.

FireInside is a name known to allFireInside is a name known to allFireInside is a name known to allFireInside is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmiester View Post
Do any of you guys use a cooling fan?

The guy I took my 360 to is still working on it. It seems to be an issue with the GPU and there are also random spots on the circuit board that show signs of overheating. If he gets the thing running again, which he's confident he can do, I'd like to get a cooling unit.

A lot of the fans I've come across seem odd. Why would you attach a fan to the back of the unit when there's a fan blowing the hot air out in the same place? Seems counter-productive. The cooling fan stands look ideal, but I'd prefer to get one that has its own power supply, rather than running off the Xbox power or a USB slot.
The fan that I use has its own power supply and is supposed to draw the warm air out of the console.

Six's:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
ESP LTD EC-1000 - EMG 81/81
Fender Strat - Duncan Blackout/Mick Thompson Blackout, tricked out.

Seven's:
Ibanez RG7321 - Blaze/Jazz w/Blackouts Modular Preamp.
ESP LTD M-107 tricked out.

ERG's:
ESP LTD VB-400 Viper Baritone - Blackout/EMG 85
Ibanez RGA8 - D Activator 8's
Ibanez RG8

Amp stuff:
Axe FX Ultra
Mesa Oversized 4x12
Line 6 Vetta HD
Framus Dragon 4x12

Basses:
Fender Jazz Bass - EMG's
Schecter Elite 4 Bass - EMG/BQC Control.
FireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
Awesome-O

Which are you using?
Unread 12-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
THE. DEAD. SEASON.

FireInside is a name known to allFireInside is a name known to allFireInside is a name known to allFireInside is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmiester View Post
Which are you using?

I'll check it out when I get home in a couple hours. I was trying to find it on Amazon.com but I have no idea what it is. I'll let you know though.

Edit: I spoke too soon. This is the one that I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Inter...4152746&sr=8-6

"The Intercooler TS provides increased air flow away from the 360 which allows the console to perform in a cooler, better ventilated environment ideal for cramped entrainment centers. "Nyko's TempSmart technology automatically powers on the Intercooler's fans when needed, and continue to cool the console even after the system has been powered down till a proper ambient temperature has been reached. "

Basically, it senses the air temp and automatically turns it self on. The last 6 months or so it has gotten loud as .... but still seems to be working.

My last xbox (about 2 years ago) suffered from the "open tray error." After I got a new drive and fixed that I got the Red Ring o Death a couple weeks later. With my current Xbox I have used this fan since day 1 and have always kept my Xbox in a well ventilated area to keep it cool. I have not had any problems so far. Its a shame the Xbox has such a high failure rate...Good luck.

Six's:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
ESP LTD EC-1000 - EMG 81/81
Fender Strat - Duncan Blackout/Mick Thompson Blackout, tricked out.

Seven's:
Ibanez RG7321 - Blaze/Jazz w/Blackouts Modular Preamp.
ESP LTD M-107 tricked out.

ERG's:
ESP LTD VB-400 Viper Baritone - Blackout/EMG 85
Ibanez RGA8 - D Activator 8's
Ibanez RG8

Amp stuff:
Axe FX Ultra
Mesa Oversized 4x12
Line 6 Vetta HD
Framus Dragon 4x12

Basses:
Fender Jazz Bass - EMG's
Schecter Elite 4 Bass - EMG/BQC Control.

Last edited by FireInside; 12-17-2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Found it!
FireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #11
Is A Complete Idiot.

GazPots has much to be proud ofGazPots has much to be proud ofGazPots has much to be proud ofGazPots has much to be proud ofGazPots has much to be proud ofGazPots has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Anyone else have their (white) xboxes take AGES to shutdown?

I hit the power button and it goes to a black screen but still stays powered on for a good 40 seconds or more.

Someone said it was the cloud storage syncing with the server but here's the kicker, mine's switched off because i don't want that shit.

So what the .... did they change in the last update that's now pissing me off big time?

http://www.youtube.com/GazPots <--- Guitar vids.

www.soundclick.com/GazTop <--- Random Guitar tunes.
GazPots is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2011, 02:49 AM   #12
Awesome-O

Got my 360 back this afternoon and it's working perfectly. That saves me a little chunk of change since I don't have to buy another.

FireInside I came across that same unit, I'll have to look a little more into it. Mine definitely gets plenty of air flow but these things heat up like no other, so a fan is a must. I'll see what I can find and hopefully it'll breath even more life into my current console before I eventually replace it.