homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming Tech support, gaming, gadgets, electronics and general computer discussion here.

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
Silence is Violence

Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
5 Ways to tell You're getting Too Old for Video Games

5 Ways to Tell You're Getting Too Old for Video Games | Cracked.com

Remember that thread I posted about that Cracked article a while back? It seems that this one now aims directly at the older generation of games...

...damn I'm getting old.
Bloody_Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
ΩGJ :3

Alberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to behold
Damnit, I'm just 21 and this article makes me feel disturbingly old, as if I'd been playing games for 30+ years...

Sum ergo cogito; cogito ergo dubito; dubito ergo cogito; cogito ergo sum.
Alberto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
MFB
ExBendable

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
POINT #3! THEY USED LEGEND OF DRAGOON AS AN EXAMPLE!?

(´・ω・`)

In space, no one can hear you bree. - Metal Ken
MFB is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Rivethead Magnate.

Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.Daemoniac is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Compelling stories in games (or more appropriately; in popular games) are (bar a few exceptional examples) dead, and multiplayer is bullshit.
Daemoniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

AxeHappy is a name known to allAxeHappy is a name known to allAxeHappy is a name known to allAxeHappy is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I like my long ass games, but I'm guilty of the other 4.
AxeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
Reggie J Worthington

Sicarius is just really niceSicarius is just really nice
I really want to play Legend of Dragoon again now...

Through victory, my chains are broken.

Sicarius is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 12:34 PM   #7
Autobot Facepalm

TheDivineWing22 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemoniac View Post
Compelling stories in games (or more appropriately; in popular games) are (bar a few exceptional examples) dead, and multiplayer is bullshit.
I have nothing against multiplayer...just the people who play it

and I miss legend of Dragoon as well. Need to see if I still have it somewhere.
Bigfan likes this.

Good deals with larzly, thefpb2, 7 Strings of Hate, and Adam of Angels
TheDivineWing22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 12:56 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

Mexi is just really niceMexi is just really nice
yeah I'd probably have alot more fun playing online if there weren't as many children and teenagers (children with money)

My father warned me about the dangers of alcohol: "never make a martini with too much vermouth"
Mexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemoniac View Post
Compelling stories are indeed dead, haven't seen any good ones since the gold box games (Planescape: Torment (played more like a interactive novel but was awesome at that), Baldurs gate, etc). Multiplayer = poop.
AxeHappy and Bigfan like this.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Only one I'm with is the lack of originality.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
Some call me... Tim

Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.
I like creating my own compelling story/experience. That's why I like Bethesda's RPGs so much. I feel like a actually am playing a role, and I have a large degree of control over what that role is and how I play it. It may not jive with a developer-created storyline, but I'm fine with taking their starting point (Lone wanderer, ex-con, etc) and doing my own thing.

I do hate multiplayer, though .
thedrummerkid likes this.

"We must not indulge in unfavorable views of mankind, since by doing it we make bad men believe they are no worse than others, and we teach the good that they are good in vain." - Walter Winchell

"Progressive music used to be about thinking outside the box, but now it's just about fitting as many notes inside the box as possible, and it bores me to tears." -Sol Niger 333 [paraphrased]

"It is important to be a Jedi." - Mika
Grand Moff Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #12
Parker über alles

yingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud ofyingmin has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I still insist that to this day, nobody has made a better game than Battletoads. The current paradigm of gaming just doesn't appeal to me at all. Occasionally there will be a game that I can get seriously into, but for the most part, what's out there just does nothing for me.

I have a problem cn this mod ke the eicoli and the infantry cn a blow dies what can make?

excused for the errors but are Italian
yingmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I've preferred multiplayer games forever, from Contra right on up to Starcraft, EverQuest, and League of Legends. It's just more fun to play with other people than some crappy AI.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 12:07 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

CrownofWorms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownofWorms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownofWorms is a glorious beacon of light
Damn I already feel old. And I'm 16

On the multiplayer spectrum. IDK, but I had a lot more fun playing 4 player spit-screen and Lan party's than 16 player online multiplayer. Also why is every ....ing thing matchmaking now.
CrownofWorms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 07:00 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

Black_Sheep has a spectacular aura about
That article is BS, doesn't have a point really. Im 24 and i still love videogames, old and new.

"Reality is almost always wrong."
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 08:01 AM   #16
Silence is Violence

Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
That article is BS, doesn't have a point really. Im 24 and i still love videogames, old and new.
24 is still young.
BigPhi84 and Black_Sheep like this.
Bloody_Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #17
SS.org Regular

Black_Sheep has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody_Inferno View Post
24 is still young.
And my B-day was only 3 days ago. That made me feel a lot better, thanks

"Reality is almost always wrong."
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #18
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Just wait until you are too old to rock and roll, but too young to die. Then you will feel miserable.
BigPhi84 and Alberto7 like this.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 03:30 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMyghin View Post
Just wait until you are too old to rock and roll, but too young to die. Then you will feel miserable.
That's what jazz, blues, and country are for
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #20
Orange Vigilante

AvantGuardian is a glorious beacon of lightAvantGuardian is a glorious beacon of lightAvantGuardian is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I'm 26 and primarily (used to) play RPGs. This article pretty much described me perfectly. I don't have the time to invest anymore, but when I do manage to play something new it usually gets kind of monotonous after awhile and I lose interest before I finish. I definitely wonder though if I was just more susceptible to being drawn in by the plots of games 10 or 15 years ago or if the overall stories have really deteriorated noticeable since back in the day.

Metameric - "Sneaky prog rock" straight outta Seattle
(Our EP is now streaming for free!):
www.facebook.com/metamericband

www.twitter.com/metamericband

www.reverbnation.com/metameric
AvantGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #21
SS.org Regular

Cheap Poison is a jewel in the rough
I have played games.. bot sure how long but... for a long time and a lot.

And i have none of those issues.

Older games were bullshit sometimes too, it's just nostalgia speaking.
Cheap Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 02:07 PM   #22
SS.org Regular

Mexi is just really niceMexi is just really nice
people tend to look at the past through rose-colored glasses and tend to forget that old games suffered terribly from bad controls, poor gameplay, buggy AI, etc. Granted, the stories that were being told were more original, but the technology was so poor that most "great" older games didn't nearly reach their potential because of the aforementioned issues. If anything I'd like to see the more "classic" games being redone with modern technology while being as true to the source material as possible.
AxeHappy likes this.

My father warned me about the dangers of alcohol: "never make a martini with too much vermouth"
Mexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 05:24 PM   #23
SS.org Regular

AxeHappy is a name known to allAxeHappy is a name known to allAxeHappy is a name known to allAxeHappy is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
While their is definitely some major nostalgia going on with the love of old games not all of the praise they get is.

Now if you're going to bitch about graphics or something then you have two choices:

1) Be willing to put it into a, "For it's Time," mindset.

or

2) .... off. Clearly a game made on systems almost 2 decades old isn't going to look as pretty as one made yesterday.

But there are tons of games that are so awesome that in spite of their graphics or control scheme you still want to play. And it's not just nostalgia because after you load it up you get so engrossed that you're sad when the game ends and wonder why Games suck nowadays.

Some of these games that spring to mind (and in my opinion still haven't been beaten in their respective genres) are:

X-Com
System Shock 2. Bioshock was a very poor spiritual successor and it's still a great game.
Deus Ex
Baldur's Gate
Master of Orion 2
Wing Commander 3
Abe's Oddysee
Blah blah blah.

The list doesn't actually matter.

What does need to be pointed out is that the filtering has already been done. People only talk about the games that have withstood the test of time. Nobody rants about how awesome, "Vinyl Goddess from Mars," or, "Skunny Kart," was.

This obviously hasn't happened yet with today's games because they are today's games.So there is a bunch of bullshit mixed in with the great games. And some of that bullshit is really popular. Give it 20 years though and the current generation of gamers will be just as bad as our generation for the exact same reasons. Filtering out the bad.

However, just because their were some (a lot) of shitty games back in the day doesn't mean the good ones weren't ....ing Fantastic.

It's a shame kids can't play these games because the graphics are ugly or the control schemes are too hard. Or they were only on PC and their Console gamers. Or other silly arguments.

Which is why I am totally in agreement with Mexi's above post.
Grand Moff Tim likes this.
AxeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #24
ss.org Regular

snegdk is on a distinguished road
Nice article.

I lost interest in Video games after I applied for a fulltime job (I was 20). Since that time my PS3 is being used as a media player or is just collecting dust. And after 30 minutes of playing the last part of Call of duty I really thought that it was SH!T - guess I am becoming a Cynical Asshole and old for games.

snegdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #25
Some call me... Tim

Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.Grand Moff Tim is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeHappy View Post
What does need to be pointed out is that the filtering has already been done. People only talk about the games that have withstood the test of time. Nobody rants about how awesome, "Vinyl Goddess from Mars," or, "Skunny Kart," was.

This obviously hasn't happened yet with today's games because they are today's games.So there is a bunch of bullshit mixed in with the great games. And some of that bullshit is really popular. Give it 20 years though and the current generation of gamers will be just as bad as our generation for the exact same reasons. Filtering out the bad.
BOOM.

Headshot.

Best post I've read in a while .
AxeHappy likes this.

"We must not indulge in unfavorable views of mankind, since by doing it we make bad men believe they are no worse than others, and we teach the good that they are good in vain." - Walter Winchell

"Progressive music used to be about thinking outside the box, but now it's just about fitting as many notes inside the box as possible, and it bores me to tears." -Sol Niger 333 [paraphrased]

"It is important to be a Jedi." - Mika
Grand Moff Tim is offline   Reply With Quote