homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming Tech support, gaming, gadgets, electronics and general computer discussion here.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By highlordmugfug
  • 1 Post By Randy
  • 1 Post By EtherealEntity
  • 1 Post By EtherealEntity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

Maniacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How to make a transparent background in Paint or Photoscape

Hello,

Does anyone know how to do it?

Thanks

Books, posters, play along lessons and apps!

I teach on Skype - If you purchased my books, first lesson is free!

http://www.shredtraining.com

Please subscribe to my YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/shredtraining
Maniacal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Do you mean for saving or during editing?
Saving - transparent backgrounds only work on GIF images so save as GIF
Editing in paint - select it and go to the arrow under select, and press transparent selection. The colour assigned to your right mouse click will be transparent.
EtherealEntity is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealEntity View Post
Do you mean for saving or during editing?
Saving - transparent backgrounds only work on GIF images so save as GIF
Editing in paint - select it and go to the arrow under select, and press transparent selection. The colour assigned to your right mouse click will be transparent.
I'm pretty sure that png files can have transparent backgrounds as well, correct me if I'm wrong.
Randy likes this.
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #4
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
^ You're right A quick google though and it seems GIF are more reliable and PNG sometimes don't show transparency in IE.
Unread 05-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Classy
Super Moderator

Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Correct. But I think PNG files come out better (ie. less artifacts and blurry pixel edges).

EDIT: Shameless self promotion;

highlordmugfug likes this.

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLCİ
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Needs more strings

^ Tested and that's most definately true haha
Randy likes this.
Unread 05-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

Maniacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to allManiacal is a name known to all
I tried selecting the colour but it remains black, shouldnt it turn white?

What do I select the colour with?

Unread 05-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
Needs more strings

In paint?
In the old version left click a colour to make it your primary colour, right click for secondary. In Windows 7, you have to select the Colour 1 or Colour 2 box first and then choose.
Choose the colour you wish to make transparent.
Then select all, go to the arrow and press transparent selection. Now you can drop it onto something else to use as a background.

May be able to help more if you describe what it is your trying to do
Maniacal likes this.
Unread 05-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
\m not jesus land m/

CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.
My internet has capped, so I thought Randy was loading a giant image of Captain Kirk's head

Whoever said "the best things in life are free" hasn't played an 80's RG" - TheSixthWheel
CrushingAnvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2011, 07:29 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it. I will give this a go later today.

Unread 05-09-2011, 03:54 AM   #11
Foolish Mortal

Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to get the best results in Photoshop with transparent PNG's:

1) After your image has been made, in the "Layers" tab, make the Background layer invisible.
2) File Menu -> Save For Web
3) Under "Settings," select "PNG-24." Make sure "Transparency" is also selected.
4) Save it!

An alternate way of doing it:

1) After your image has been made, in the "Layers" tab, make the Background layer invisible.
2) Go to the "Channels" tab and click "New Channel." It should come out titled "Alpha 1," or something like that.
3) File -> Save
4) Select ".PNG" file type and save your image!

An optional step between steps 1 and 2 in either case is to select all the non-background layers and flatten them, in case you have layers that are using different rendering methods such as Dodge or Burn. This will make them come out closer to what you intend.

Don't use the "Export Transparent Image" wizard under the help menu. The results are shoddy at best, as it tends to feather edges.

The best part of PNG's is that they're both lossless and support semi-transparency, as opposed to the "all or nothing" approach that GIF's go for. This is demonstrated in Randy's image with the soft shading around the border of the guitar. Granted, they're also larger than either GIF's or JPG's, but I think the results speak for themselves.

Revenge is a dish best served with nice biscuits.
Read the rules, fools!
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote