homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > General Discussion > Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming Tech support, gaming, gadgets, electronics and general computer discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-02-2010, 07:14 AM   #1
Death Metal™

cwhitey2 is a glorious beacon of lightcwhitey2 is a glorious beacon of lightcwhitey2 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Recording set-up!

I was planning on getting my new computer last month, but funds were tight so I'm getting one this month. I'm stuck between a dual core or a quad core. Will the cores actually matter? I will be running Reaper with SD 2.0 and an amp sim. That's about all for the process, i just don't want ANY lag.

So should i get a Dual core with like 6gb of RAM

or

Should i get a Quad core with like 3 or 4gb of RAM

or

If i find the random Tri core floating around should i buy one of those with RAM in between

????

Any and all opinions are welcome.

Mesa 2 channel
Basson 4x12

cwhitey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #2
Death Metal™

cwhitey2 is a glorious beacon of lightcwhitey2 is a glorious beacon of lightcwhitey2 is a glorious beacon of light
really no one had anything to say?

Mesa 2 channel
Basson 4x12

Unread 09-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Iraq Lobster.

synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
In terms of audio software, it shouldn't matter. (There are video games like Starcraft 2 that only take advantage of 2 cores specifically, but I can't think of any audio apps that operate in such a way..)

That said, what operating system are you planning on running? XP? Vista? 7?

"And over here, our bass player, the Duke of Spook, the Doc of Shock, The Man with No Tan, please say hello to Death himself, the Grim Reaper!"
synrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
cali-cornia bluffer

asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
For audio recording, two cores should be more then enough. It's when you get into video, THEN the quads would matter!
asmegin_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
Death Metal™

Quote:
Originally Posted by synrgy View Post
In terms of audio software, it shouldn't matter. (There are video games like Starcraft 2 that only take advantage of 2 cores specifically, but I can't think of any audio apps that operate in such a way..)

That said, what operating system are you planning on running? XP? Vista? 7?
i was planning on running 7

would 4 gigs of ram be enough?

cause my old system had 1.6gig cpu and 1gig ram and i would dedicate most of the power to the audio software and it would lag bad and to sound was wretched

Mesa 2 channel
Basson 4x12

Unread 09-02-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
Death Metal™

Oh and is it mandatory that I have a sound card or would an integrated one be good enough?

Mesa 2 channel
Basson 4x12

Unread 09-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
Iraq Lobster.

synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwhitey2 View Post
i was planning on running 7

would 4 gigs of ram be enough?

cause my old system had 1.6gig cpu and 1gig ram and i would dedicate most of the power to the audio software and it would lag bad and to sound was wretched
4 gigs should be more than enough. I still use XP Pro ("if it ain't broke, don't fix it..") and XP only supports 3GB RAM max, so that's what I have installed. (Well, technically one of my machines has 4GB in it, but the extra 1GB isn't in use at all.)

I can run tons of audio channels and VST/MIDI channels simultaneously with no problems whatsoever, so I would imagine that 4 gigs on a Win7 machine would do the job just fine.

Of course, once you get set up you'll want to run msconfig and get rid of any useless proprietary 'services' or programs that run in the background and/or taskbar.

"And over here, our bass player, the Duke of Spook, the Doc of Shock, The Man with No Tan, please say hello to Death himself, the Grim Reaper!"
Unread 09-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #8
Iraq Lobster.

Quote:
Oh and is it mandatory that I have a sound card or would an integrated one be good enough?
Integrated = Massive Fail about 99.9% of the time. They just aren't intended for the intensive use a DAW program throws at them.

You want an audio card or audio interface that has it's own dedicated memory. There are plenty of very good yet surprisingly cheap ones out there. I have an M-Audio Audiophile 192 (has on-board 128MB RAM) that I bought for about $125 in 2005. It's great.

Unread 09-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #9
Death Metal™

Sweet thanks i will deff buy a machine with an actual sound card now, i think thats why mine would make weird noises and lag out.

Mesa 2 channel
Basson 4x12

Unread 09-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #10
Iraq Lobster.

Quote:
Sweet thanks i will deff buy a machine with an actual sound card now, i think thats why mine would make weird noises and lag out.
Now that I think about it, you may be able to do okay with your existing comp simply by installing a nice graphics card.. It's a surprising chunk of the battle.

Unread 09-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #11
Death Metal™

One more question. Say i buy a machine with an integrated sound card can i add an aftermarket sound card to it?

Mesa 2 channel
Basson 4x12

Unread 09-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
Iraq Lobster.

Quote:
One more question. Say i buy a machine with an integrated sound card can i add an aftermarket sound card to it?
Depends on the machine you buy and what empty expansion slots it offers. Also, it doesn't necessarily have to be a sound card, but could be an audio interface that runs via USB or Firewire.

I actually have both, and I personally prefer the internal sound card, but that's me. Mine is a PCI card, and my machine(s) have always had an empty PCI slot where I can plug it in. That said, PCI is starting to go away in favor of PCI Express and it's various upgrades (PCIe x16, PCIe 2.0, etc). Point is, try to find out what expansion slots you will have available in the machine you're purchasing, and that will give you an idea of what your internal sound card options may be.

Unread 09-03-2010, 11:18 AM   #13
Death Metal™

Quote:
Depends on the machine you buy and what empty expansion slots it offers. Also, it doesn't necessarily have to be a sound card, but could be an audio interface that runs via USB or Firewire.

I actually have both, and I personally prefer the internal sound card, but that's me. Mine is a PCI card, and my machine(s) have always had an empty PCI slot where I can plug it in. That said, PCI is starting to go away in favor of PCI Express and it's various upgrades (PCIe x16, PCIe 2.0, etc). Point is, try to find out what expansion slots you will have available in the machine you're purchasing, and that will give you an idea of what your internal sound card options may be.

it has one extra slot, i was planning on buying a barebones system and just modding it

Mesa 2 channel
Basson 4x12

Unread 09-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #14
Iraq Lobster.

Quote:
it has one extra slot, i was planning on buying a barebones system and just modding it
Just make sure the card you purchase is made for the slot your motherboard has available. IE -- You can't plug a PCI card into a PCIe slot.

Unread 09-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #15
Death Metal™

Quote:
Just make sure the card you purchase is made for the slot your motherboard has available. IE -- You can't plug a PCI card into a PCIe slot.

ok good thing you told me that

Mesa 2 channel
Basson 4x12