SevenString.org

SevenString.org (http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/)
-   Beginners/FAQ (http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/beginners-faq/)
-   -   Alternatives to the axe-fx (http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/beginners-faq/262606-alternatives-axe-fx.html)

taysil11 02-12-2014 09:56 PM

Alternatives to the axe-fx

What are alternatives to the Axe-FX? I'm looking for a standalone head unit, that can be used to go direct into my recording rig or go live either direct into PA or an amp cab with through a poweramp.

Anything with effects and amp models that's worth the money? i have pretty high standards for tone. I can't drop $2000, so I'm trying to explore options. Maybe just a used Axe-FX standard...

JoshuaVonFlash 02-12-2014 10:08 PM

There's the Pod Pro and the Line 6 Sipder Valve MKll come to mind and there's also the Line 6 DT50 watt modeling head, I'm not sure what's the difference between the two heads though.

Svava 02-12-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaVonFlash (Post 3925219)
Line 6 Sipder Valve MKll

Under no circumstances should you buy this creature.

I had a Spider Valve last year. Horrible base tone, the effects DEVOURED the tone, chewed it up, and defecated out some remnants of what your guitar sounds like.

Components were cheap - even the on switch just randomly stopped working at some point.

Maybe I got a lemon but....

I feel like I have to give you fair warning.

And if were you I would get an eleven rack or try to find a used ultra or something if you cannot afford a two and do not want to save up - they'd be a bit closer in terms of quality :)

:2c:

taysil11 02-12-2014 10:18 PM

Yeah I was thinking about the Pod. I'm not a big fan of the Spyder models for some reasons.

A big part of this is that I'm moving into a condo, so I need to be able to play tones at lower volumes with no drop in quality.

taysil11 02-12-2014 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svava (Post 3925226)
Under no circumstances should you buy this creature.

I had a Spider Valve last year. Horrible base tone, the effects DEVOURED the tone, chewed it up, and defecated out some remnants of what your guitar sounds like.

Components were cheap - even the on switch just randomly stopped working at some point.

Maybe I got a lemon but....

I feel like I have to give you fair warning.

And if were you I would get an eleven rack or try to find a used ultra or something if you cannot afford a two and do not want to save up - they'd be a bit closer in terms of quality :)

:2c:

Hahahaha. That's too funny, I was kind of thinking that as well :P. I tried one in a shop and that was enough for me. So what is an Eleven Rack? I've been looking for used Standards or lesser versions and can't find any! People eat them up :P

Brootal93 02-12-2014 10:24 PM

Pod HD pro is a great unit. I use one. Eleven rack is also a great unit. It's just another FX processor. You can generally find the Eleven rack for like 300-400 bucks. A pod hd pro usually for around 500. I prefer my Pod HD Pro though personally

AlTheKiller7 02-12-2014 10:30 PM

Check out the eleven rack, if you know how to use it you can get beautiful tones! Get em used pretty damn cheap too!

Svava 02-12-2014 10:44 PM

I think that this belongs here

In my experience bands use POD stuff cause it's cheap and easy to cart around. Often as a stopgap until they can afford an Axe FX.

But like the post above indicated, some people prefer it to the Eleven Rack (IDK why though xD).

Eleven Rack is the Axe FX's heavily overshadowed little brother. It does similar stuff but it just isn't as good at it. But it's still pretty good from what I've heard.

ShawnFjellstad 02-12-2014 10:50 PM

I absolutely love my 11R for recording purposes. Haven't used it in a live setting so I can't comment there.

slapnutz 02-13-2014 05:02 AM

You could maybe also count the DV MARK MULTIAMP.

Seems to get great review by any who is introduced to it.

Long indepth review.

Shorter review, various tones.

Andy James now uses it.

So does Marco...

Vigaren 02-13-2014 06:44 AM

I would say that the POD HD is a safe bet! Sounds good for the price and you can get great results if you spend some time with it. I got mine 6 months ago, and Im really happy with the tones Ive ended up with.

lukeshallperish 02-13-2014 06:38 PM

Yea. Another vote for the hd pro here. I love mine. Although, I can't say without full certainty that I won't switch to an axe fx eventually.

psycle_1 02-13-2014 10:34 PM

GSP1101 w/ beta firmware. The poor man's Axe Fx IMO.

User Name 02-13-2014 10:41 PM

+1 on eleven rack, or a used kemper profile?

Promit 02-14-2014 03:25 AM

Pretty much what has been said. 11r, Pod HD Pro, GSP1101.

Fretless 02-14-2014 05:26 AM

A used kemper would be great. I own a hd pro x and a kemper, and I still use both for varying reasons, but I would honestly suggest a gsp1101 the tones are somewhat more varied than the pod, and the custom IRs make it better for live use( I still somewhat regret selling mine). However if you're a tech guy, buy a Peavy viper and do all the mods to make it a rack unit. They would work very well that way, and was what I was going to do until I bit the bullet and bought a kemper.

Oh and if you're after some good tone without effects, the psa1 from sansamp is pretty epic when used right. Great for bass, guitar, and many other things

rastachild 02-14-2014 02:01 PM

i at one point had the gsp1101, but struggled to get acceptable tones out of it. i was coming off of using a 2101 which gave me great tube tone, but finally crapped out after 15 years of service. i was pretty bummed and thought i'd have to go the axe fx route but then i got an 11rack. i struggled with it too until they released the expansion pack and i've been extremely happy ever since. it may not have the depth of effects and amp models that the axe fx does, but the models it does have are excellent.

WaffleTheEpic 02-14-2014 02:46 PM

For 2k you could swing a Pod HD Pro X and Laney IRT Studio and 4CM them.

teamSKDM 02-14-2014 03:43 PM

you can get a used axe xf standard, i just purchased one today for 900 dollars, ive seen them go as low as 800 before used. if youre looking to keep it around 500-ish (maybe lower) my personal vote is for the eleven rack. for both live and studio usage.

I thought this sounded pretty decent considering its going through ipod speakers , (altho i think he meant he recorded the video using an ipod)

not exactly the best test, just thought id toss it in. as its a good example of its just raw sound through speakers.

also not a bad example.

TrashJuice 02-14-2014 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fretless (Post 3926706)
However if you're a tech guy, buy a Peavy viper and do all the mods to make it a rack unit. They would work very well that way, and was what I was going to do until I bit the bullet and bought a kemper.

Do you have a link for this? Initial googling doesn't return many results.

Fretless 02-14-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrashJuice (Post 3927215)
Do you have a link for this? Initial googling doesn't return many results.

http://forums.peavey.com:8080/viewto...p?f=33&t=31792 Just mod this to where there is no return, only a send, and you've effectively converted it into a preamp. Or just turn the speaker output into a output jack and put a load box in the signal path.

taysil11 02-16-2014 01:49 AM

Guys, thank you for all the great suggestions. This is a lot to go on and I'm going to do a lot of research based on what you've all sent.

HOLY 02-16-2014 02:46 AM

how many high gain amps modules come with the eleven rack? will the eleven rack jam massively powered by a 6505?

Oreo_Death 02-20-2014 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svava (Post 3925226)

:lol::lol: That made my night

I give my vote to the HD Pro. I just got mine yesterday and am already seeing so much potential in it. I was looking for the same thing as you, and I found my HD Pro for $450 used in good shape aside from one missing knob (which can be replaced). I agree with what someone else said, this is going to be my pre-amp until I can save up for an Axe-FX. Im still new to making tones and all that stuff, but from watching some demos on Youtube, I'm on my way to some nice tones. Just thought I'd give you my two cents. Good luck!

Orgalmer 02-20-2014 07:58 PM

Yep I'm gonna swing my vote for the Pod HD Pro or Pro X.

I will say this though; if you're ever going to use the Pod for live stuff I highly recommend getting the Pod HD500X instead - just having to take a guitar and that pedal + power would be a massive reduction in the amount of shit I have to carry around, but the Pod HD Pro means I have to bring my own FBV pedal board + a rack unit. It's good if I always want to use a guitar setup, but overkill if I just want to DI.

For studio only stuff, you could even go with a Pod HD Bean. Check 'em out and see what works best for you in terms of portability. They all work pretty much the same.