homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > Beginners/FAQ
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

Beginners/FAQ For you new players out there. Any question is a good one, so ask away.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-31-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
I evolved You didn't

ensam varg is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Whats the difference between a standard 6 string guitar and a 7 string guitar?

I've got a 7 stringer but mt guitar tutor is teaching me the basics (i.e. 6 string guitar). Now, my problem is here:- I've got a book about 7 string guitars. When I compared the Cmajor7 on this book and the Cmajor7 on my tutition's book... weirdly they are different! Thus, I ended up totally crazy and confused ... Can someone help me?!
ensam varg is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-31-2007, 09:58 AM   #2

Alpo is his own personal hero.Alpo is his own personal hero.Alpo is his own personal hero.Alpo is his own personal hero.Alpo is his own personal hero.Alpo is his own personal hero.Alpo is his own personal hero.Alpo is his own personal hero.Alpo is his own personal hero.Alpo is his own personal hero.
The 7-string book shows you things you can do with a 7-string () and it just so happens that you can play the CM7 chord in several different ways. So both ways are correct. You just have more choice with a 7.

Through the darkness of futures past
The magician longs to see
One chants out between two worlds
Fire Walk With Me
Alpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
I evolved You didn't

so what regards the Pentatonic Scales and other scales, how should I perform and apply them to a 7 stringer? The fact is that I'm just at my first steps of an Intermediate guitarist

And a second question is:- should I get stronger in the basics first, then start learning with the 7th?
Unread 03-31-2007, 11:03 AM   #4

Alpo is his own personal hero.Alpo is his own personal hero.Alpo is his own personal hero.Alpo is his own personal hero.Alpo is his own personal hero.Alpo is his own personal hero.Alpo is his own personal hero.Alpo is his own personal hero.Alpo is his own personal hero.Alpo is his own personal hero.
Is there anything in the book about scales? I'm not the best person to talk about scales.

Maybe you could just learn scales on the six strings with your teacher and apply them to the 7th string. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge about theory will chime in.

Through the darkness of futures past
The magician longs to see
One chants out between two worlds
Fire Walk With Me
Alpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2007, 11:11 AM   #5
Mah Kitteh doez Coke

LilithXShred is just really niceLilithXShred is just really nice
The 7 String just gives you 5 more notes and a string more looks like a lot of work for many. But remember : you already have a b string on your guitar. So if you want to know whats going on on the low B String just take a look at the high one .
Think about why you want a 7 string. I got mine because i like standard tuning a lot but i want to have those deep growling sound of a downtuned guitar. Now i have both plus my scales have one more string so i can cover 3 octaves in one 3 Note-per-string pattern . This is why i switched to 7 strings and i don't really consider to go back to 6 .
But you have to find out for yourself. Actually everone can start playing 7 strings even beginners. You don't have to be blazing on 6. I just recommend that you should think about what you want to do with it, otherwise you will lose interest and switch back to 6 strings because 7 strings will make no sense anymore.

My Mammal Sauce is the best Mammal Sauce
LilithXShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2007, 06:06 PM   #6
I evolved You didn't

tnks mate.... so as you're saying, what goes on on the high b same applies to the low b string aka 7th string!

"Without music, life would be a mistake" - F. Nietzsche
Unread 03-31-2007, 10:20 PM   #7
President / RHLC Š

playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.playstopause deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I also think you can learn it the way you want.
You can think of the 7 as a whole or as a 6 with that extra range string.
You can learn your scales with roots note on the 6th ot 7th string,
there's no puzzle to it : scales can start on any strings. Just think of it as something simple, wich is probably what you'll think a couple of months from now

Become one of us or die, ....ers. / Rick

RIP Garcia3441
playstopause is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2007, 04:21 AM   #8
No Borders

All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.
Any chord can be played several ways.

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.
All_Ľour_Bass is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2007, 04:29 AM   #9
OldschoolGhettostyle

Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensam varg View Post
tnks mate.... so as you're saying, what goes on on the high b same applies to the low b string aka 7th string!
Exactly. If a six-string scale has notes on the 5th and 8th frets on the high b string, then they will also be on the 5th and 8th frets on the low B on a 7 string. If the notes are on the 1st and 3rd fret on the high b, they will also be on the 1st and 3rd fret on the low B on a 7 string.

Just think of a sevenstring guitar as a six-string guitar with an extra low string and, for scales, that low B mimics the high b.
Naren is offline   Reply With Quote